Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 89533 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:55 - Apr 18 with 4363 viewsbluelagos

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:51 - Apr 18 by Ryorry

Then they should be occupying Parliament Square to bend the ears of MPs, not occupying bridges elsewhere to disrupt the general public!

They are. They are doing both.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:55 - Apr 18 with 4363 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:54 - Apr 18 by bluelagos

I'll not respond to the personal digs.

The people I am praising are those protesting. They recognise the failure of our politicians to implement policies to address climate change. They may have what you consider extreme views but rather than focus on the more extreme ideas, I welcome the passion the anger, the refusal to sit back and watch the world get destoyed which is pretty much what our generation has done.

I didn't read it as a personal dig at all to be fair, but he does highlight a point.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:59 - Apr 18 with 4348 viewsXYZ

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:32 - Apr 18 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I understand your point, I just disagree with it.

People aren't talking about the environment issue, they are talking about how they are being disrupted. I would say that the whole thing is an own goal.

IMHO of course.

Yes, they're talking about the disruption, but then, a good number of them move on to think about the wider issue.

As George Monbiot said, paraphrasing, either we prioritise the long-term sustainability of the planet ahead of relentless economic growth or we're bequeathing catastrophe.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:05 - Apr 18 with 4329 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:54 - Apr 18 by bluelagos

I'll not respond to the personal digs.

The people I am praising are those protesting. They recognise the failure of our politicians to implement policies to address climate change. They may have what you consider extreme views but rather than focus on the more extreme ideas, I welcome the passion the anger, the refusal to sit back and watch the world get destoyed which is pretty much what our generation has done.

Well I responded to you telling me that I “seem to struggle with the idea that we should / need to make sacrafices,if we are to fix this issue” despite me saying in several occasions on this thread that’s exactly what we should be doing.

I’ll say it for the zillion things time. The people protesting are demanding an end to all air travel and animal farming.

So it’s a bit rich telling me I’m struggling........ when you are doing exactly what they are protesting about.

Their demands are unrealistic.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 14:19]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:09 - Apr 18 with 4320 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:55 - Apr 18 by Lord_Lucan

I didn't read it as a personal dig at all to be fair, but he does highlight a point.

We end all air travel. Next time there is an outbreak of Ebola, do we let millions die whilst getting medics and aid workers out there by sail boat?

Instead of making ridiculous and unrealistic demands they should be highlighting some of the stuff BL, EB, Gordon, Dan, Zombies and others have been proposing. Personal sacrifices that we can all make.

Iron Lion Zion

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:16 - Apr 18 with 4311 viewseireblue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:33 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

Do you fly?

See, what you have done there is illustrate one of the issues with climate change.

It shouldn't matter what other people do.

To quote a great thinker

"We are speeding up our own extinction so we should all be doing something to ensure we put that day off."

I do as much as I can, and that include a lot of home working and using web conferencing tools, even for meetings I could easily get to on a train.

You could commit today, to make a very big impact on your personal carbon footprint, it will be the easiest thing you can do.

If you want to, you could turn vegan now.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:19 - Apr 18 with 4296 viewsClapham_Junction

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:09 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

We end all air travel. Next time there is an outbreak of Ebola, do we let millions die whilst getting medics and aid workers out there by sail boat?

Instead of making ridiculous and unrealistic demands they should be highlighting some of the stuff BL, EB, Gordon, Dan, Zombies and others have been proposing. Personal sacrifices that we can all make.

What they've actually said is “air travel should only be used in emergencies”, so presumably dealing with an Ebola outbreak would fit into that category.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:20 - Apr 18 with 4292 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:16 - Apr 18 by eireblue

See, what you have done there is illustrate one of the issues with climate change.

It shouldn't matter what other people do.

To quote a great thinker

"We are speeding up our own extinction so we should all be doing something to ensure we put that day off."

I do as much as I can, and that include a lot of home working and using web conferencing tools, even for meetings I could easily get to on a train.

You could commit today, to make a very big impact on your personal carbon footprint, it will be the easiest thing you can do.

If you want to, you could turn vegan now.

You told me I could go vegan this afternoon. You could cut out flying.

I have no issue being asked to consider my meat intake. That isn’t what the protesters are asking. They are remains an end to all air travel and animal farming by 2025.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 14:22]

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:22 - Apr 18 with 4289 viewsXYZ

There's a growing realisation that personal sacrifices are not enough. We need bigger, quicker changes to have any slowing effect. The 2% temperature rise target is going to be far exceeded.

Florida will cease to exist.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:24 - Apr 18 with 4278 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:22 - Apr 18 by XYZ

There's a growing realisation that personal sacrifices are not enough. We need bigger, quicker changes to have any slowing effect. The 2% temperature rise target is going to be far exceeded.

"Florida will cease to exist."

Huh. So there is an upside to global warming.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:26 - Apr 18 with 4272 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:22 - Apr 18 by XYZ

May I ask what you are doing to help? I'm not trying to bait you, i'm not trying to excuse my own actions, i'm not setting up to anything. I'm just generally curious as to what someone so passionate about this is doing. Are you vegan for example? Only holiday in the UK?

Genuinely interested.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:27 - Apr 18 with 4268 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:19 - Apr 18 by Clapham_Junction

What they've actually said is “air travel should only be used in emergencies”, so presumably dealing with an Ebola outbreak would fit into that category.

How am I supposed to travel if I can't fly?

It's madness.

Edit; Hands up on here anyone who thinks we should ban non emergency air travel
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 14:28]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:35 - Apr 18 with 4235 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:27 - Apr 18 by Lord_Lucan

How am I supposed to travel if I can't fly?

It's madness.

Edit; Hands up on here anyone who thinks we should ban non emergency air travel
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 14:28]

There's no way that's happening. I'm not crossing the Atlantic by sail boat.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 14:36]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:36 - Apr 18 with 4224 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:35 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

There's no way that's happening. I'm not crossing the Atlantic by sail boat.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 14:36]

Bloody good point. Once you're back in the US this should be implemented immediately.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:38 - Apr 18 with 4219 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:36 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Bloody good point. Once you're back in the US this should be implemented immediately.

Oh I'm back. Feels good to be back living in a genuine superpower.

Thought you lot hadn't done a very good job of taking care of the UK in my absence. Looked bloody shabby!

Balls Britannia.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:38 - Apr 18 with 4219 viewseireblue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:20 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

I have no issue being asked to consider my meat intake. That isn’t what the protesters are asking. They are remains an end to all air travel and animal farming by 2025.

As I said, I do cut out flying.

I even cut out car and train travel.

You could make an instant change today.

It will be the easiest and most impactful change you could make.

And, please excuse the reference to personal circumstances, I have less motivation to effect the outcome of the planet than many other people. I do not have to worry about the future generations of eireblues.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:41 - Apr 18 with 4212 viewsgordon

But there have been people making sensible, evidence based arguments for many years showing that the trajectory of global society is headed irrevocably towards climate-driven breakdown.

For whatever reason, that just hasn't worked. It hasn't persuaded either government, business, or the general public to support anything like the kind of systemic changes needed to avert dangerous climate change.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:43 - Apr 18 with 4196 viewsgordon

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:20 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

The point is that there demands are surely making us think more about, and discuss, our own environmental impact - I don't anyone is expecting Michael Gove to implementing any of their policies anytime soon.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:49 - Apr 18 with 4171 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:38 - Apr 18 by eireblue

As I said, I do cut out flying.

I even cut out car and train travel.

You could make an instant change today.

It will be the easiest and most impactful change you could make.

And, please excuse the reference to personal circumstances, I have less motivation to effect the outcome of the planet than many other people. I do not have to worry about the future generations of eireblues.

And I cut out meat a couple of days a week. I cycle and walk more whereas I used to drive all the time. I cut out as much plastic as possible. I recycle.

I could do more but that wouldn't satisfy the protesters. And that's why they are not getting my praise. They are making unrealistic and unachievable demand.

And for those who are supporting the ban on animal farming and air travel; please don't bang on about how the economy will be adversely affected by Brexit.

Iron Lion Zion

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:58 - Apr 18 with 4148 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:49 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

And I cut out meat a couple of days a week. I cycle and walk more whereas I used to drive all the time. I cut out as much plastic as possible. I recycle.

I could do more but that wouldn't satisfy the protesters. And that's why they are not getting my praise. They are making unrealistic and unachievable demand.

And for those who are supporting the ban on animal farming and air travel; please don't bang on about how the economy will be adversely affected by Brexit.

I can't imagine many of them genuinely think the world will go back to a pre-flight age. I imagine it's more about advancing the idea that we need to be far more aggressive in how we address climate change.

Maybe their unrealistic protest demands will actually move the goalposts of what is considered reasonable a little further than had they started out with advocating for those same reasonable demands.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:02 - Apr 18 with 4134 viewsgordon

Hopefully everyone who's contributing to the thread will be watching the Climate Change documentary tonight with Attenborough!
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:05 - Apr 18 with 4121 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:02 - Apr 18 by gordon

Hopefully everyone who's contributing to the thread will be watching the Climate Change documentary tonight with Attenborough!

On a pedal powered TV.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:08 - Apr 18 with 4106 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:02 - Apr 18 by gordon

Voted yes on MarshallsMullet thread, thanks for reminder to set recorder!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:12 - Apr 18 with 4093 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:49 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

Yes, but have you (or anyone else on here) cut out further procreation & thereby a decrease in over-population of the planet?!
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:12]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:12 - Apr 18 with 4093 viewsTJS

Climate change is everyone's responsibility not just the governments.
Let's be honest the only thing governments could do to get carbon emissions down to zero by 2025 would be by introducing massive restrictions on every tiny aspect of everyday life.
Half the people protesting would probably struggle to cope with these never mind everyone else.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024