Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 90063 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:12 - Apr 18 with 5258 viewseireblue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:49 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

And I cut out meat a couple of days a week. I cycle and walk more whereas I used to drive all the time. I cut out as much plastic as possible. I recycle.

I could do more but that wouldn't satisfy the protesters. And that's why they are not getting my praise. They are making unrealistic and unachievable demand.

And for those who are supporting the ban on animal farming and air travel; please don't bang on about how the economy will be adversely affected by Brexit.

You are not taking action to satisfy the protestors.

You are taking action to avoid speeding up our own extinction.

Add a few more days to get to seven, add diary and fish, and then you will have maximised what you can do.

It is very easy to do.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:15 - Apr 18 with 5254 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:02 - Apr 18 by gordon

Hopefully everyone who's contributing to the thread will be watching the Climate Change documentary tonight with Attenborough!

He's gone mad since he turned veggie.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:20 - Apr 18 with 5239 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:12 - Apr 18 by eireblue

You are not taking action to satisfy the protestors.

You are taking action to avoid speeding up our own extinction.

Add a few more days to get to seven, add diary and fish, and then you will have maximised what you can do.

It is very easy to do.

How does eating fish help?

We are running out of fish.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:20 - Apr 18 with 5235 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:58 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I can't imagine many of them genuinely think the world will go back to a pre-flight age. I imagine it's more about advancing the idea that we need to be far more aggressive in how we address climate change.

Maybe their unrealistic protest demands will actually move the goalposts of what is considered reasonable a little further than had they started out with advocating for those same reasonable demands.

Re your first para. You didn't see the bloke on Sky News yesterday morning. The bloke was like somebody in a religious cult.

He was all or nothing.

edit. Video here.

[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:23]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:25 - Apr 18 with 5223 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:20 - Apr 18 by Lord_Lucan

How does eating fish help?

We are running out of fish.

I had some lovely Sea Urchin last night. They can take seafood from my cold, dead and still wet hands.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:29 - Apr 18 with 5207 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:20 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

Re your first para. You didn't see the bloke on Sky News yesterday morning. The bloke was like somebody in a religious cult.

He was all or nothing.

edit. Video here.

I think my first paragraph holds up. I mean, sure, he's crackers. Which is exactly why Sky invited him on. They use these people as a way of discrediting everyone involved in the protests.

There will be fringe lunatics at any protest. But as a whole, if the protests manage to shift the discussion into a more constructive place rather than the current position of farting around the edges while climate change advances at a terrifying rate, then I don't have much of an issue with it.

It's not like he's calling for a cull of the elderly, just the abandonment of air travel. It might be an unrealistic request, but it isn't hurting anyone to discuss the viability of positions like that. After all, it is our survival as a species we are talking about here.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:32]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:40 - Apr 18 with 5192 viewsXYZ

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:26 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

May I ask what you are doing to help? I'm not trying to bait you, i'm not trying to excuse my own actions, i'm not setting up to anything. I'm just generally curious as to what someone so passionate about this is doing. Are you vegan for example? Only holiday in the UK?

Genuinely interested.

I do a few things - no meat, little travel - the point I'm trying to get across is that it's not about individual actions or "guilt tripping" individuals for flying away on holiday or drinking a Costa.

This is the sort of thing needed … https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/sites/ocasio-cortez.house.gov/files/Resolution%2
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:40 - Apr 18 with 5192 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:20 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

He was all or nothing.

edit. Video here.

He is definitely a TWTDer

But which one?

Mmmm........

Edit; It's Clapham_Junction
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:58]

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:43 - Apr 18 with 5188 viewsClapham_Junction

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:12 - Apr 18 by TJS

Climate change is everyone's responsibility not just the governments.
Let's be honest the only thing governments could do to get carbon emissions down to zero by 2025 would be by introducing massive restrictions on every tiny aspect of everyday life.
Half the people protesting would probably struggle to cope with these never mind everyone else.

I have wondered whether the government could do something akin to declaring war on climate change and invoke powers needed to get us there. Rationing things like meat, fuel and electricity for a few years would probably be major parts of it. It would require a complete change of behaviour in many areas of life - pretty much ending the use of cars in urban areas, a change in dietary habits, far fewer trips abroad and mass mobilisation of people to work on things like renewable power installation and insulation - but I'm optimistic that we could cope and that in the long run it could actually lead to a much better society in terms of life priorities.

The key is having someone in power brave enough to suggest it, and having opposition parties brave enough to agree that it's needed and not just try and make political capital out of opposing it. Basically there needs to be some kind of societal consensus that we really need to do this, otherwise it's curtains for all of us. I fear this is the step we won't overcome.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:44]
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:43 - Apr 18 with 5186 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:40 - Apr 18 by XYZ

I do a few things - no meat, little travel - the point I'm trying to get across is that it's not about individual actions or "guilt tripping" individuals for flying away on holiday or drinking a Costa.

This is the sort of thing needed … https://ocasio-cortez.house.gov/sites/ocasio-cortez.house.gov/files/Resolution%2

Indeed. I think I recall reading a couple of years a go that something like 100 companies are responsible for 70-80% of Global emissions.

These are the people we need to be going after initially.

Edit - found the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-com

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:48 - Apr 18 with 5165 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:40 - Apr 18 by XYZ

Good stuff.

Tomorrow is the start of Easter, obviously, and people will be travelling to visit family etc on a few precious days off. These protesters have claimed they will shut down Heathrow tomorrow. Is that acceptable?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:48 - Apr 18 with 5161 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:48 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Good stuff.

Tomorrow is the start of Easter, obviously, and people will be travelling to visit family etc on a few precious days off. These protesters have claimed they will shut down Heathrow tomorrow. Is that acceptable?

To do so would probably be counter productive to their aims.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:50 - Apr 18 with 5153 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:48 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

It would but they wouldn't be the first protesters to push things too far and lose sympathy.

Truly impaired.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:54 - Apr 18 with 5135 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:50 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

It would but they wouldn't be the first protesters to push things too far and lose sympathy.

So long as they stay on the right side of the law then they'll have to deal with whatever PR fallout arises from their actions.

But to answer your question, if I had a flight booked for tomorrow, I'd be pished off.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:03 - Apr 18 with 5116 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:29 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I think my first paragraph holds up. I mean, sure, he's crackers. Which is exactly why Sky invited him on. They use these people as a way of discrediting everyone involved in the protests.

There will be fringe lunatics at any protest. But as a whole, if the protests manage to shift the discussion into a more constructive place rather than the current position of farting around the edges while climate change advances at a terrifying rate, then I don't have much of an issue with it.

It's not like he's calling for a cull of the elderly, just the abandonment of air travel. It might be an unrealistic request, but it isn't hurting anyone to discuss the viability of positions like that. After all, it is our survival as a species we are talking about here.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:32]

It's not really the survival of the species, humanity will survive virtually any catastrophic event, we are too clever and too resourceful (which has got us into this problem in the first place).

He would be more effective of he tempered his language to something more accurate. There would be a horrible amount of deaths but humanity wouldn't go extinct.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:05 - Apr 18 with 5113 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:48 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

As I've been saying all along!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:05 - Apr 18 with 5111 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:43 - Apr 18 by Clapham_Junction

I have wondered whether the government could do something akin to declaring war on climate change and invoke powers needed to get us there. Rationing things like meat, fuel and electricity for a few years would probably be major parts of it. It would require a complete change of behaviour in many areas of life - pretty much ending the use of cars in urban areas, a change in dietary habits, far fewer trips abroad and mass mobilisation of people to work on things like renewable power installation and insulation - but I'm optimistic that we could cope and that in the long run it could actually lead to a much better society in terms of life priorities.

The key is having someone in power brave enough to suggest it, and having opposition parties brave enough to agree that it's needed and not just try and make political capital out of opposing it. Basically there needs to be some kind of societal consensus that we really need to do this, otherwise it's curtains for all of us. I fear this is the step we won't overcome.

None of that would make any difference though if it was just our government. It's needs to be all governments.

In this case every little doesn't really help.

SB

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:05 - Apr 18 with 5109 viewsXYZ

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:48 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Good stuff.

Yes, I think it's reasonable for them to say that's what they're going to do.

It gives the authorities plenty of time to ensure they won't be successful, it gives the media time to set up their cameras and will ensure the debate remains near the top of the news agenda.

We're talking about places like Florida, Bangladesh, etc etc not existing in my children's lifetime. If you're upset by this week's inconveniences, you've got a few bigger shocks to come.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:06 - Apr 18 with 5106 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:25 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I had some lovely Sea Urchin last night. They can take seafood from my cold, dead and still wet hands.

Sea urchin is grim.

Didn't realise it was part of a typical moose diet.

SB

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:08 - Apr 18 with 5097 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:05 - Apr 18 by XYZ

Yes, I think it's reasonable for them to say that's what they're going to do.

It gives the authorities plenty of time to ensure they won't be successful, it gives the media time to set up their cameras and will ensure the debate remains near the top of the news agenda.

We're talking about places like Florida, Bangladesh, etc etc not existing in my children's lifetime. If you're upset by this week's inconveniences, you've got a few bigger shocks to come.

Try and be a bit more condescending, it really helps.

Can't have any sort of debate with you. You've picked a side and anyone who has any other ideas is wrong. I'll leave you to it.

Truly impaired.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:25 - Apr 18 with 5063 viewsClapham_Junction

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:05 - Apr 18 by StokieBlue

None of that would make any difference though if it was just our government. It's needs to be all governments.

In this case every little doesn't really help.

SB

True. I wonder in the long-run whether it might ever reach the stage of country A bombing coal power stations in country B, if the latter refuses to reduce their emissions enough.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:25 - Apr 18 with 5063 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:06 - Apr 18 by StokieBlue

Sea urchin is grim.

Didn't realise it was part of a typical moose diet.

SB

I thought you knew about food. Now I realise you are a mere meat and two veg amateur.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:30 - Apr 18 with 5050 viewsXYZ

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:08 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Try and be a bit more condescending, it really helps.

Can't have any sort of debate with you. You've picked a side and anyone who has any other ideas is wrong. I'll leave you to it.

I wasn't being condescending - my comments were not targeted at *you* - more at the general short-termist zeitgeist. I know you think things through.

I haven't "picked a side" - I've read enough of the science to be scared of the consequences. I have real concerns at to the motives of those who blithely dismiss the scientific consensus. See the recent measles outbreaks and "anti-vaxers".

Apologies if my post wasn't clear about the target of my wrath; it's not you.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:44 - Apr 18 with 5021 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:25 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I thought you knew about food. Now I realise you are a mere meat and two veg amateur.

Stokie recommended barrafina to me when I was in London a few years ago. He knows his stuff when it comes to food.

The most enjoyable two hour queue for food I've ever been in.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 16:45]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 17:13 - Apr 18 with 4985 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:44 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

Stokie recommended barrafina to me when I was in London a few years ago. He knows his stuff when it comes to food.

The most enjoyable two hour queue for food I've ever been in.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 16:45]

I can see why Uni wouldn't be for everyone. But for me, it's the delicious fruity briney food of the Gods.

That's probably the most ridiculously poncy thing I've ever said.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024