Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? 20:37 - Apr 16 with 10781 viewsBackToRussia

Ruins any sense of drama or excitement derived from the key moments in a game.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:43 - Apr 16 with 5975 viewsWD19

Yep. Although somebody from the ‘Monday night football’ generation will be along in a minute to tell you it is better because the touchscreen says so.
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:46 - Apr 16 with 5961 viewsBackToRussia

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:43 - Apr 16 by WD19

Yep. Although somebody from the ‘Monday night football’ generation will be along in a minute to tell you it is better because the touchscreen says so.

Fully takes minutes from when a goal is "scored" for it to be verified as an actual goal. It's absolutely ridiculous. Needs to take 30 seconds tops. I'd say just get rid but it looks like it's gone too far now.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:56 - Apr 16 with 5937 viewsRobTheMonk

Worked just then in the Man United game okay...
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:59 - Apr 16 with 5929 viewsBackToRussia

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:56 - Apr 16 by RobTheMonk

Worked just then in the Man United game okay...

That's its problem. When it corrects an incorrect decision then fine, but when it checks what turns out to be a legit goal and takes 3 minutes to do it....

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:05 - Apr 16 with 5903 viewsRobTheMonk

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:59 - Apr 16 by BackToRussia

That's its problem. When it corrects an incorrect decision then fine, but when it checks what turns out to be a legit goal and takes 3 minutes to do it....

Agreed that it needs to be shorter. But with tweaking I think it's a good thing. It's all money based though - going out to illegitimate goals can literally cost millions.
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:08 - Apr 16 with 5899 viewsBackToRussia

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:05 - Apr 16 by RobTheMonk

Agreed that it needs to be shorter. But with tweaking I think it's a good thing. It's all money based though - going out to illegitimate goals can literally cost millions.

I don't understand how it's been allowed to be implemented in top end games without the whole process being streamlined down to military efficiency. To my mind there's no clear actual procedure being followed, there's delays before a goal is even checked. Bizarre how poorly the whole thing is done.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:10 - Apr 16 with 5888 viewsJakeITFC

One good thing about being relegated is that we are further away from it.
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:16 - Apr 16 with 5854 viewsTrequartista

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:05 - Apr 16 by RobTheMonk

Why is it being used for subjective decisions like fouls and handballs in the penalty area ? It should just be used for offside checks. The inordinate amount of penalties being generated almost ruined the World Cup.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:19 - Apr 16 with 5840 viewsRobTheMonk

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:08 - Apr 16 by BackToRussia

I don't understand how it's been allowed to be implemented in top end games without the whole process being streamlined down to military efficiency. To my mind there's no clear actual procedure being followed, there's delays before a goal is even checked. Bizarre how poorly the whole thing is done.

It's difficult with things such as the hand ball rule which has always been ambiguous at best. It's not great but I'm all for something that gives ultimately a correct decision (should give). Bit I do agree in that it's nowhere near as streamlined as it should be in its current form.
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 10:22 - Apr 17 with 5623 viewsGirthyguy

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 21:16 - Apr 16 by Trequartista

Why is it being used for subjective decisions like fouls and handballs in the penalty area ? It should just be used for offside checks. The inordinate amount of penalties being generated almost ruined the World Cup.

I think over time it will be tweeked and fine tuned so it will get better in time. There have been some odd decisions though which I think will lead to a change in law regarding the handball rule.
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 10:25 - Apr 17 with 5612 viewsGlasgowBlue

I like VAR when watching a game on TV but they need to do more at the grounds to make help fans better understand what’s going on.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 10:27 - Apr 17 with 5608 viewsuefacup81

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 10:25 - Apr 17 by GlasgowBlue

I like VAR when watching a game on TV but they need to do more at the grounds to make help fans better understand what’s going on.

Needs to be more akin to NFL/Rugby, whereby the referee is mic'ed up with the VAR team, and essentially everyone is talked through the process. A nice little side-effect is that something like that would clear up the respect problem once and for all.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 11:12 - Apr 17 with 5570 viewsrickw

With goals players celebrate for a minute, so I'd say at the end of the minute if the refs aren't sure there was a foul/offside then they just go with it.

Same with offsides, I remember a match last season where Mata scored, after 3+ minutes they decided his kneecap was offside! FFS if you aren't sure after 30 seconds call it level and move on, the fact a player's kneecap is offside is hardly the reason why the offside rule was created and unless the player dives forward and just manages to glance the ball into the net with his knee it doesn't make a difference!

With the recent handball penalties I would like the rules changed. Like the ones we've seen recently in the CL against Kimpembe and Rose, neither were intentional and both times the players hand was in a natural position despite not being by their side I would want to give indirect free kicks for them. Because of VAR the refs can be precise and if they've ever played football at any level they should understand when you jump or dive where your arms will be.

The way these games are going it could become 50%+ goals come from penalties awarded when there is little chance of the team scoring

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 14:10 - Apr 17 with 5538 viewsjjblue84

It also allows games to be decided from the orders of a mysterious man sitting in a dark room who doesn’t seem to be accountable to anybody!
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 14:38 - Apr 17 with 5506 viewsJammyDodgerrr

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 14:10 - Apr 17 by jjblue84

It also allows games to be decided from the orders of a mysterious man sitting in a dark room who doesn’t seem to be accountable to anybody!

Isn't it just referees that are using VAR in the room?

Either way, it's just not being used correctly at all. It worked great in the world cup, when it was being used to overrule clear and obvious errors but it's turned into something where people use it to evaluate any level of tiny micro decision that should not be looked at at all. It should be used just for completely wrong decisions like offside goals and off the ball incidents that the ref doesn't see.

With that application, it'll be great. Also, it's a bookable offence for a player to ask for a VAR review but they are all doing it and no-one gets booked. Refs need to be stronger. Also having things like the handball law which is 'open to interpretation' on what deliberate means, which further muddies the waters. I think they are changing the law from next season so that if it strikes a hand, it's a foul, which should hopefully help too.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 17:43 - Apr 17 with 5445 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 14:38 - Apr 17 by JammyDodgerrr

Either way, it's just not being used correctly at all. It worked great in the world cup, when it was being used to overrule clear and obvious errors but it's turned into something where people use it to evaluate any level of tiny micro decision that should not be looked at at all. It should be used just for completely wrong decisions like offside goals and off the ball incidents that the ref doesn't see.

With that application, it'll be great. Also, it's a bookable offence for a player to ask for a VAR review but they are all doing it and no-one gets booked. Refs need to be stronger. Also having things like the handball law which is 'open to interpretation' on what deliberate means, which further muddies the waters. I think they are changing the law from next season so that if it strikes a hand, it's a foul, which should hopefully help too.

UEFA have already ordered referees to look at handball offences in the penalty areas more strictly and penalise players who jump to try to block shots and crosses. If you do that and your arm is outstretched and the ball strikes your arm, UEFA say that is a penalty. You can argue the rights & wrongs of that if you like, but don't blame the match officials as they are doing what they have been told to do.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 18:16 - Apr 17 with 5415 viewsNthsuffolkblue

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 20:46 - Apr 16 by BackToRussia

Fully takes minutes from when a goal is "scored" for it to be verified as an actual goal. It's absolutely ridiculous. Needs to take 30 seconds tops. I'd say just get rid but it looks like it's gone too far now.

Too much money riding on it isn't there? A player makes a mistake and it is accepted. An official makes a wrong call and that is it.

The big issues are:

it should only reverse clearly wrong decisions;
it should be much quicker - the best way to speed it up would be that the 4th official points out when there is a clear error, the ref comes to check with the presumption that the decision is about to be over-turned and it should be the exception where it is not because the ref explains something the 4th official was not aware of.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:04 - Apr 17 with 5352 viewsjjblue84

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 14:38 - Apr 17 by JammyDodgerrr

And VAR knocks Man City out of Europe, who deserved to win!
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:09 - Apr 17 with 5316 viewsYallop

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:04 - Apr 17 by jjblue84

It was rightly called offside
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:20 - Apr 17 with 5268 viewsjjblue84

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:09 - Apr 17 by Yallop

It was rightly called offside

Only in the TV world of moneymen!
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:20 - Apr 17 with 5268 viewsEly_Blue

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:04 - Apr 17 by jjblue84

Why did they deserve to win? Do tell me? They never did enough in the first game, Spurs stood toe to toe with them in the first half, ultimately the “goal” at the end by Sterling was offside.

I would assume that if that had been a goal to relegate town on the last day of the season you would say that we deserved to get relegated if scored against us?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:22 - Apr 17 with 5263 viewsPJH

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:20 - Apr 17 by jjblue84

Only in the TV world of moneymen!

I think football is now a little nearer being dead.
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:33 - Apr 17 with 5225 viewsBackToRussia

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:22 - Apr 17 by PJH

Just isn't right is it? Football should be include marginal decisions.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:39 - Apr 17 with 5195 viewsjjblue84

It’s almost dead, and the subscribers are responsible!
VAR is complete sh1t isn't it? on 22:39 - Apr 17 with 5192 viewsslump

Football as you and I knew it growing up is dead.

I'm resigned to the fact that it's an evolution that is now irreversible. The paying public, whicbis the TV subscribers, are getting what they want; drama, controversy and endless analysis and deliberation. Those that turn up to the games are now very much a by product.

UTT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024