Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's weird how in France 08:41 - Apr 17 with 9661 viewschicoazul

you have loads of civil unrest for many many weeks now over tings like taxation, the cost of diesel etc but you burn half on one cathedral down and all of a sudden they can raise 1bn euros just like that.
It's very ///chef's fingertip kiss

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's weird how in France on 08:46 - Apr 17 with 4560 viewsJakeITFC

Or how we spend £40b a year on trident when people in this country can’t afford to buy food.
It's weird how in France on 08:52 - Apr 17 with 4544 viewsuefacup81

Indeed.

Amazing how when the bowl goes round for the hungry/poor there's no money left, but when it comes to a big old church you can find €100m in your back pocket just like that.

It's the same with all the pro/anti Brexit protests. I hope that when the whole thing comes to some sort of conclusion, people will continue to protest as vehemently for things like the NHS and basic human decency.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

It's weird how in France on 08:54 - Apr 17 with 4537 viewsGuthrum

National symbolism, innit.

Also how the cathedral had been struggling to raise funds for the ordinary (but vital) renovation, plus many other charities having a hard time getting money for aid and relief work. But now, suddenly, huge sums are made available for this one thing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It's weird how in France on 08:55 - Apr 17 with 4532 viewschicoazul

It's weird how in France on 08:54 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

National symbolism, innit.

Also how the cathedral had been struggling to raise funds for the ordinary (but vital) renovation, plus many other charities having a hard time getting money for aid and relief work. But now, suddenly, huge sums are made available for this one thing.

It's almost...almost as if....

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's weird how in France on 08:59 - Apr 17 with 4497 viewsuefacup81

It's weird how in France on 08:55 - Apr 17 by chicoazul

As if they've been taking redevelopment/fundraising advice from a certain Robert Chase?

It's weird how in France on 08:59 - Apr 17 with 4497 viewsHarry_Palmer

It really was fantastic timing all round, what with funding for the renovations running out and it now proving a useful distraction to the civil unrest. It really couldn't have worked out any better if they had planned it that way, what a stroke of luck.
It's weird how in France on 09:16 - Apr 17 with 4423 viewsGuthrum

No, I'm not suggesting it was done deliberately. Too much danger of the whole thing ending up a pile of rubble and not being rebuilt.

More a commentary on people's attitude to charity if there isn't an dramatic emergency right on their doorstep.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 9:19]

It's weird how in France on 09:19 - Apr 17 with 4405 viewsGeoffSentence

Let the conspiracy theories commence.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

It's weird how in France on 09:20 - Apr 17 with 4393 views26_Paz

It's weird how in France on 08:46 - Apr 17 by JakeITFC

Or how we spend £40b a year on trident when people in this country can’t afford to buy food.

With the level of welfare in this country the only reason why anyone would be unable to buy food is if they have wasted their benefits on ill advised pursuits (drink, fags, drugs etc).

The Paz Man

It's weird how in France on 09:21 - Apr 17 with 4391 viewsWD19

So what you are saying is that Macron torched the place as a distraction....non?
It's weird how in France on 09:22 - Apr 17 with 4385 viewsGuthrum

It's weird how in France on 08:59 - Apr 17 by Harry_Palmer

It really was fantastic timing all round, what with funding for the renovations running out and it now proving a useful distraction to the civil unrest. It really couldn't have worked out any better if they had planned it that way, what a stroke of luck.

It wasn't running out (they had enough for this phase), just hard to accumulate in the first place.

French TV on the night was suggesting this was potentially disastrous for Macron, as it interrupted his attempts to deal with the gilets jaunes protests. Indeed, his insistence on rebuilding Notre Dame and doing it quickly may yet backfire.

It's weird how in France on 09:31 - Apr 17 with 4351 viewsGuthrum

It's weird how in France on 09:20 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

With the level of welfare in this country the only reason why anyone would be unable to buy food is if they have wasted their benefits on ill advised pursuits (drink, fags, drugs etc).

And how do you survive for the six weeks before any money arrives, or because your benefits have been cut off in an administrative error, or because you managed, in considerable pain, to make it to a medical assessment interview in another town and then had your money cut because you were able to do that? All of those things have happened to people I know.

It's weird how in France on 09:39 - Apr 17 with 4316 viewscrunchie1978

And now watch the civil disobedience stop.
Distraction at it's best!

We didn't start the fire.......
It's weird how in France on 09:40 - Apr 17 with 4304 viewstrncbluearmy

It's weird how in France on 09:31 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

And how do you survive for the six weeks before any money arrives, or because your benefits have been cut off in an administrative error, or because you managed, in considerable pain, to make it to a medical assessment interview in another town and then had your money cut because you were able to do that? All of those things have happened to people I know.

Saving up for a rainy day perhaps
It's weird how in France on 09:44 - Apr 17 with 4262 views26_Paz

It's weird how in France on 09:31 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Maybe take the effort to follow the application process properly or radical thinking maybe just get a job ...

The Paz Man

It's weird how in France on 09:44 - Apr 17 with 4257 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 09:40 - Apr 17 by trncbluearmy

Trouble is, when you're disabled, long term out of work, sick, etc, etc the default setting for all your days is 'pissing down'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It's weird how in France on 09:46 - Apr 17 with 4237 viewsm14_blue

It's weird how in France on 09:44 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

Maybe take the effort to follow the application process properly or radical thinking maybe just get a job ...

Jesus Christ.

I wouldn't even bother Guthers........
It's weird how in France on 09:46 - Apr 17 with 4237 views26_Paz

Don't be so ridiculous, one can't be expected to take care of oneself. That's what the state and everyone else's taxes are there for ...

The Paz Man

It's weird how in France on 09:47 - Apr 17 with 4229 viewsfooters

Christ.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

It's weird how in France on 09:47 - Apr 17 with 4233 viewsBrixtonBlue

Just like how the Tories said there was no magic money tree and then swiftly found £90m for the DUP.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's weird how in France on 09:51 - Apr 17 with 4195 viewsuefacup81

That's a great idea, but to enable people to save for a rainy day they need to be paid enough to have money left over at the end of the month.

Not even 30 years ago a family was able to get by on a single salary whilst bringing up children and owning a house. These days both parts of a couple have to work in order to have anything even resembling a basic quality of life, let alone save for a rainy day.

It's weird how in France on 09:59 - Apr 17 with 4147 viewsGuthrum

1) Even if you do - meticulously - the things I mentioned happen.

2) What job? What about the 200 other people going for the same job? What if it's only part-time, zero hours, minimum wage and you can't afford to live on it? If you have children and can't afford care, are you supposed to give them up for adoption?

If we can't care adequately for the sick, the poorest and the most unfortunate in society, we are no longer civilized.

It's weird how in France on 10:01 - Apr 17 with 4129 viewsuefacup81

It's weird how in France on 09:59 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

1) Even if you do - meticulously - the things I mentioned happen.

2) What job? What about the 200 other people going for the same job? What if it's only part-time, zero hours, minimum wage and you can't afford to live on it? If you have children and can't afford care, are you supposed to give them up for adoption?

If we can't care adequately for the sick, the poorest and the most unfortunate in society, we are no longer civilized.

Precisely!

You budget an extra hour for the bus journey, just in case. The privatised bus service doesn't show up, the next one sails past because it's full, and you end up running 20mins late.

You call the office to keep them updated every step of the way, but because you were late for the appointment, you get 'sanctioned' six weeks' benefits to encourage you to be on time next time.

It's weird how in France on 10:04 - Apr 17 with 4118 viewsGuthrum

That requires surplus income.

I did manage to save up a little. Got injured in an accident, unable to work for a couple of months, then discovered I was not entitled to anything under the new system (Universal Credit, self-employed, ongoing business) and burnt through that while recovering. Now if something happens again, I'm stuffed.

It's weird how in France on 10:05 - Apr 17 with 4116 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 09:46 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

Don't be so ridiculous, one can't be expected to take care of oneself. That's what the state and everyone else's taxes are there for ...

Pretty sure that the partially sighted(I say 'partially sighted', he was registered blind) bloke I had in last week with a limb missing and insulin-resistant type 1 diabetes who was awaiting a kidney transplant for renal failure brought on by the aforementioned diabetes would have much preferred to be able to do that rather than have me setting up a dialysis machine to clean his blood out for him.

Oh, and here's the punchline : just as I finished that, his missus arrived in order to speak to our consultant to see of there was something they could do to get the DWP off his back as they were threatening to cut his money off due to him missing an appointment at the job centre, on account the whole 'being critically ill' thing. The appointment at the job centre was because some f*ckwit had said he was fit for work. I'm not convinced he was fit for a haircut.
He'd had savings too from when he'd been working. They'd gone pretty quickly with the vastly inflated cost of living that a disabilty and no income brings.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 11:26]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024