Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's weird how in France 08:41 - Apr 17 with 9686 viewschicoazul

you have loads of civil unrest for many many weeks now over tings like taxation, the cost of diesel etc but you burn half on one cathedral down and all of a sudden they can raise 1bn euros just like that.
It's very ///chef's fingertip kiss

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's weird how in France on 10:06 - Apr 17 with 2052 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 09:46 - Apr 17 by m14_blue

Jesus Christ.

I wouldn't even bother Guthers........

I quite like how one of our leading Brexiteers is acting like one of those 'elites' he claims to despise.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

It's weird how in France on 10:07 - Apr 17 with 2051 viewsGuthrum

It's weird how in France on 09:46 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

Don't be so ridiculous, one can't be expected to take care of oneself. That's what the state and everyone else's taxes are there for ...

Have you never in your life benefitted from someone else's taxes? For healthcare, education, policing, waste disposal, state pension, legislation and justice, military protection, etc.?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It's weird how in France on 10:09 - Apr 17 with 2050 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 09:47 - Apr 17 by BrixtonBlue

Just like how the Tories said there was no magic money tree and then swiftly found £90m for the DUP.

I bet the survivors of Grenfell regret not putting in stained glass windows.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

It's weird how in France on 10:09 - Apr 17 with 2049 viewsNo9

It's weird how in France on 08:52 - Apr 17 by uefacup81

Indeed.

Amazing how when the bowl goes round for the hungry/poor there's no money left, but when it comes to a big old church you can find €100m in your back pocket just like that.

It's the same with all the pro/anti Brexit protests. I hope that when the whole thing comes to some sort of conclusion, people will continue to protest as vehemently for things like the NHS and basic human decency.

"people will continue to protest as vehemently for things like the NHS and basic human decency."

To attain that you will at least need to educate the population before anotehr general election
It's weird how in France on 10:10 - Apr 17 with 2049 viewsuefacup81

It's weird how in France on 10:07 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Have you never in your life benefitted from someone else's taxes? For healthcare, education, policing, waste disposal, state pension, legislation and justice, military protection, etc.?

Perhaps we can give Paz some sort of card that paramedics can refer to, which states that he doesn't need their help, he can take care of himself thank you very much?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

It's weird how in France on 10:14 - Apr 17 with 2032 viewsEwan_Oozami

It's weird how in France on 09:20 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

With the level of welfare in this country the only reason why anyone would be unable to buy food is if they have wasted their benefits on ill advised pursuits (drink, fags, drugs etc).

And I presume your perceived high level of welfare is the EU's fault is it, Ayn Rand?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

It's weird how in France on 10:26 - Apr 17 with 2007 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 10:10 - Apr 17 by uefacup81

Perhaps we can give Paz some sort of card that paramedics can refer to, which states that he doesn't need their help, he can take care of himself thank you very much?

I tell you what, I wish they'd get on with Brexit. We can cut the workload of the NHS by 52% with the loss of all the people who voted to get rid of experts in one fell stroke.

It's weird how in France on 10:26 - Apr 17 with 2007 viewsGuthrum

It's weird how in France on 10:09 - Apr 17 by No9

"people will continue to protest as vehemently for things like the NHS and basic human decency."

To attain that you will at least need to educate the population before anotehr general election

Sadly, it goes beyond that. There has to be a change of attitude from people who think: "Why should I have to pay tax to care for others instead of spending money on myself?"

Individualism has won out over society in recent decades. That is where the decline of human empathy is coming from, a dehumanisation of one's fellow man which leads to everything from racism and hatred of refugees to youth stabbings.

Ironically, the Victorians, to whom Thatcher looked back so fondly, were very big on charity, on corporate good works, on social cohesion.

Login to get fewer ads

It's weird how in France on 10:31 - Apr 17 with 1994 views26_Paz

It's weird how in France on 10:06 - Apr 17 by BlueBadger

I quite like how one of our leading Brexiteers is acting like one of those 'elites' he claims to despise.

'Leading Brexiteers' thanks for the compliment

The Paz Man

It's weird how in France on 10:33 - Apr 17 with 1989 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 10:31 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

'Leading Brexiteers' thanks for the compliment

It's a compliment up there with 'least inbred Norwich fan', 'best player bought by Paul Hurst' or 'most improved ITFC performance under Pau Lambert'.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 10:33]

It's weird how in France on 10:36 - Apr 17 with 1985 views26_Paz

It's weird how in France on 10:07 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Obviously for a bit of healthcare here and there and my education (before you get the gag in, yes, I did have one!) I've never had need for the services of the police (thankfully). For all the stuff I've used I've more than paid for through the taxes I pay. This is how it should work. I'm not saying all taxation and public services are wrong, of course not. What I'm saying is wrong is people who sponge off others taxes as a lifestyle choice ...

The Paz Man

It's weird how in France on 10:38 - Apr 17 with 1973 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's weird how in France on 10:36 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

Obviously for a bit of healthcare here and there and my education (before you get the gag in, yes, I did have one!) I've never had need for the services of the police (thankfully). For all the stuff I've used I've more than paid for through the taxes I pay. This is how it should work. I'm not saying all taxation and public services are wrong, of course not. What I'm saying is wrong is people who sponge off others taxes as a lifestyle choice ...

There's actually very few people that do that in reality.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's weird how in France on 10:42 - Apr 17 with 1950 viewsBlueBadger

As opposed to those deeply conscientious individuals decrying idle scorungers on the internet during office hours?

It's weird how in France on 10:48 - Apr 17 with 1935 viewsGuthrum

Given the sheer expense of those services, I'd say it's doubtful you have paid for everything used in your taxes (otherwise governments wouldn't constantly be running deficits). If you have been fortunate enough to be an extremely high earner all your career, then surely it is your duty to uphold the society which has facilitated that?

Most people without jobs are desperately looking for one. The sick can't wait to be well. For very few indeed is it a 'lifestyle choice' - because it's miserable, boring and you're always skint.

It's weird how in France on 11:03 - Apr 17 with 1911 viewsFtnfwest

pretty quick to ask everyone else to chip in as well
It's weird how in France on 11:04 - Apr 17 with 1911 viewschicoazul

It's weird how in France on 10:48 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Given the sheer expense of those services, I'd say it's doubtful you have paid for everything used in your taxes (otherwise governments wouldn't constantly be running deficits). If you have been fortunate enough to be an extremely high earner all your career, then surely it is your duty to uphold the society which has facilitated that?

Most people without jobs are desperately looking for one. The sick can't wait to be well. For very few indeed is it a 'lifestyle choice' - because it's miserable, boring and you're always skint.

You're on a very slippery slope when you make tax a moral issue IMVHO.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's weird how in France on 11:11 - Apr 17 with 1899 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 11:04 - Apr 17 by chicoazul

In all fairness, you'd have to be a bit of a psychopath to suggest that looking after the vulnerable, sick and disabled, educating your children ad keeping the streets safe WEREN'T goods thing, though.

It's weird how in France on 11:26 - Apr 17 with 1894 viewsGuthrum

I disagree.

Society is the framework within which human civilization has developed. Taxes have always been paid to finance that (in kind and in service, if not money).

If we wish to perpetuate that civilization, rather than reverting to an individualistic hunter-gatherer lifestyle, then there is a responsibility to continue funding it. To do otherwise really is expecting nice things for free.

One could argue that governments and state apparatus are an inefficient way to run things. But there has to be some sort of organisational structure, economies of scale cannot be taken advantage of and centralisation helps avoid duplication of effort. I'm not against private enterprise in the commercial sphere, but when providing public services the necessity to make a return on investment is at odds with the unprofitable nature of providing that service to people who cannot afford to pay for it.

If governments did not exist, someone would have to invent them - as happened in the earliest human societies (it's no coincidence that the oldest documents found are official accounts).

It's weird how in France on 11:42 - Apr 17 with 1874 viewsWeWereZombies

A slippery slope to where exactly?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

It's weird how in France on 11:48 - Apr 17 with 1870 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 11:42 - Apr 17 by WeWereZombies

A slippery slope to where exactly?

Better healthcare, policing and public services?

It's weird how in France on 11:51 - Apr 17 with 1871 viewsPecker

Because it is French. Sod the poor and the hungry on the streets, the Notre Dame is as French as it comes.
It's weird how in France on 11:55 - Apr 17 with 1865 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 10:38 - Apr 17 by BrixtonBlue

There's actually very few people that do that in reality.

I think that Paz has long since established that he and reality only have a passing relationship.

It's weird how in France on 12:08 - Apr 17 with 1852 viewsBlueBadger

It's weird how in France on 11:51 - Apr 17 by Pecker

Because it is French. Sod the poor and the hungry on the streets, the Notre Dame is as French as it comes.

In fairness, spunking load sof cash on vanity and symbolic projects of arguably little worth at the expense of the needy is not uniquely French - we're spending BILLIONS on refurbishing the Palace of Westminster, HS2, Trident and Brexit after all.

It's weird how in France on 12:12 - Apr 17 with 1846 viewsjeera

It's weird how in France on 09:20 - Apr 17 by 26_Paz

With the level of welfare in this country the only reason why anyone would be unable to buy food is if they have wasted their benefits on ill advised pursuits (drink, fags, drugs etc).

List it.

Explain exactly how it works.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

It's weird how in France on 12:15 - Apr 17 with 1839 viewsjeera

It's weird how in France on 09:40 - Apr 17 by trncbluearmy

Saving up for a rainy day perhaps

But what happens once that runs out?

Explain precisely how it works.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024