Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm going bouldering 11:08 - Apr 17 with 2645 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Is it hard? Any tips?

I'm 6'3 which I think will be an advantage in some ways due to better reach.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

I'm going bouldering on 11:12 - Apr 17 with 2626 viewseireblue

Do you live near a place that does genetic/radioactive experiments on spiders?
I'm going bouldering on 11:14 - Apr 17 with 2615 viewsWD19

I did that this morning. Nothing a change in diet won't fix.
I'm going bouldering on 11:22 - Apr 17 with 2602 viewshampstead_blue

My only tip would be to 'get a grip' (obviously tongue in cheek).

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

I'm going bouldering on 11:27 - Apr 17 with 2592 viewsWeWereZombies

I'm going bouldering on 11:22 - Apr 17 by hampstead_blue

My only tip would be to 'get a grip' (obviously tongue in cheek).

Stone me...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

I'm going bouldering on 11:28 - Apr 17 with 2589 viewsGuthrum

No more or less hard than other rock climbing. Tho tend to be short pitches, obviously. Presume you have helmet, boots, etc (or being provided)?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'm going bouldering on 12:32 - Apr 17 with 2540 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm going bouldering on 11:28 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

No more or less hard than other rock climbing. Tho tend to be short pitches, obviously. Presume you have helmet, boots, etc (or being provided)?

I don't believe you have to wear a helmet where I'm going as the floor is matted. Shoes will be provided. I've never done any sort of climbing so I imagine it will be harder than it looks.

I'm going bouldering on 13:00 - Apr 17 with 2515 viewsSteve_M

I'm going bouldering on 12:32 - Apr 17 by ThisIsMyUsername

I don't believe you have to wear a helmet where I'm going as the floor is matted. Shoes will be provided. I've never done any sort of climbing so I imagine it will be harder than it looks.

Yes, probably. Reach may be a help but depends how heavy you are - I tried a bit of climbing a few years back but I'm too inflexible and too heavy to really enjoy it despite being tall.

Enjoy anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I'm going bouldering on 13:05 - Apr 17 with 2513 viewsKropotkin123

How hard it depends on a few things
- Your strength to weight ratio. I use to climb with a short guy who was a mechanic, and even though he wasn't visually strong or indeed stronger than me, say if we had an arm wrestle, he was much better at holding his body. So his smaller stature was an advantage.
- Your technique. This comes over time, so you won't instantly be good at this. But taller people can generally get past technique issues, as they don't have to maneuver their body around

Tips
- You often find taller people hang out from the wall more, which is more tiring for your upper body. Try and stay closer to the wall, so more is taken by your legs
- Climbing shoes should curl your big toe over. You get much more purchase through your toes this way. Sure, it isn't as comfy, but it is best.
- Climb with your legs, not your hands. don't be pulling yourself up, be standing up.
- When you are getting tired in your hands, take one hand off the wall, shake it. repeat with the other hand. Use this time to assess your next moves
- Plot out your root before you do it, even if you forget some of it, it will save searching. When you are on the wall, holds look similar, as they are chalky. If you can't see where to place, ask your friends to point it out.

Hope that helps, and happy to explain more, if you have other questions

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Login to get fewer ads

I'm going bouldering on 13:14 - Apr 17 with 2496 viewsLord_Lucan

Just shave it all off.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I'm going bouldering on 13:26 - Apr 17 with 2486 viewsCaptainAhab

My 7 year old (at the time) daughter was doing climbing club at Stowmarket and was struggling a bit, so I thought I'd take her bouldering to build her confidence and get her to climb higher/quicker. F*ck me it was harder than I thought it'd be!
My tip is use some chalk cos it ruddy hurts your fingers otherwise.
I'm going bouldering on 13:50 - Apr 17 with 2468 viewsAnewHop

Go with someone who knows what they’re doing if you can, that will be a big help. The tip on using your feet is the best advice you can have. Try and use you hips as much as you can as well; to keep your centre if gravity close to the wall.

Don’t use chalk unless your fingers are actually sweaty, it will just reduce grip on the holds you’re using otherwise.

Being tall will help overall as you’ll be able to miss out holds. More of a disadvantage if you’re inflexible with it.

Enjoy though, it’s great fun and An amazing work out. Walls usually have a good range of routes so there will be plenty for you as a beginner. You don’t need more than common sense to see which ones you should be attempting
I'm going bouldering on 13:59 - Apr 17 with 2451 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm going bouldering on 13:05 - Apr 17 by Kropotkin123

How hard it depends on a few things
- Your strength to weight ratio. I use to climb with a short guy who was a mechanic, and even though he wasn't visually strong or indeed stronger than me, say if we had an arm wrestle, he was much better at holding his body. So his smaller stature was an advantage.
- Your technique. This comes over time, so you won't instantly be good at this. But taller people can generally get past technique issues, as they don't have to maneuver their body around

Tips
- You often find taller people hang out from the wall more, which is more tiring for your upper body. Try and stay closer to the wall, so more is taken by your legs
- Climbing shoes should curl your big toe over. You get much more purchase through your toes this way. Sure, it isn't as comfy, but it is best.
- Climb with your legs, not your hands. don't be pulling yourself up, be standing up.
- When you are getting tired in your hands, take one hand off the wall, shake it. repeat with the other hand. Use this time to assess your next moves
- Plot out your root before you do it, even if you forget some of it, it will save searching. When you are on the wall, holds look similar, as they are chalky. If you can't see where to place, ask your friends to point it out.

Hope that helps, and happy to explain more, if you have other questions

That's great - thanks!

I am quite strong when it comes to lifting weights but I'm not the best at bodyweight exercises such as pull ups (I weigh about 13 stone 9) so that might be where my issues are! Although as you say, effective technique involves the legs a lot.

I'm going bouldering on 14:01 - Apr 17 with 2446 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm going bouldering on 13:50 - Apr 17 by AnewHop

Go with someone who knows what they’re doing if you can, that will be a big help. The tip on using your feet is the best advice you can have. Try and use you hips as much as you can as well; to keep your centre if gravity close to the wall.

Don’t use chalk unless your fingers are actually sweaty, it will just reduce grip on the holds you’re using otherwise.

Being tall will help overall as you’ll be able to miss out holds. More of a disadvantage if you’re inflexible with it.

Enjoy though, it’s great fun and An amazing work out. Walls usually have a good range of routes so there will be plenty for you as a beginner. You don’t need more than common sense to see which ones you should be attempting

Thanks!

I am going with someone who knows what they're doing and will be able to instruct me, so that will be helpful

I'm going bouldering on 16:05 - Apr 17 with 2407 viewsGuthrum

I'm going bouldering on 12:32 - Apr 17 by ThisIsMyUsername

Ah, thought you meant the outdoor variety (on actual boulders). Expect they'll provide a helmet if needed.

It's about balance and planning which holds to use as much as outright strength. Hope you enjoy.

p.s. "Three points of contact with the rock" was what I was always taught.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 16:07]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'm going bouldering on 19:09 - Apr 17 with 2354 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm going bouldering on 16:05 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Ah, thought you meant the outdoor variety (on actual boulders). Expect they'll provide a helmet if needed.

It's about balance and planning which holds to use as much as outright strength. Hope you enjoy.

p.s. "Three points of contact with the rock" was what I was always taught.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2019 16:07]

Three points of contact sounds handy, I'll remember that. Thanks.

I'm going bouldering on 12:04 - Apr 21 with 2202 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Bouldering was a lot of fun. Successfully completed several of the easiest routes without too much trouble but my fingers are torn to shreds now! Will definitely do again. The step up to the next level appears notable.

I'm going bouldering on 22:43 - Apr 21 with 2103 viewsBogblue

It's easy, kids do it!
OK, depends what the level is
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024