Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... 09:04 - Apr 18 with 5738 viewsitfcjoe

....as Goal Line Technology it’s not for me.

Just absolutely kills the game dead for me.

Won’t be long until fans aren’t celebrating goals as much because waiting for the ok.

RIP #scenes
RIP #limbs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:08 - Apr 18 with 2873 viewsBluefish

Exactly my thoughts. The best bit about football is not winning the game, it is not watching the replay afterwards, it is the 20 seconds of absolute bedlam and emotion straight after the goal. VAR will take that away.

I would rather have incorrect decisions that you can drown your sorrows about later and feel hard done by, you can hope that you can then get a shocker go for you before every game. I want pub debate not turn up and have clinical decisions and then just all go home again.

I hate VAR and have done since the start. It makes the premier league less and less appealing as they move towards a stale clinical atmosphere and result. Give me terracing and dirty pies any day

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:13 - Apr 18 with 2867 viewsITFC_Forever

Not just VAR on offsides, but penalties, goals (eg LLorente's last night) etc.

It's supposed to eliminate clear and obvious errors - but it's used to adjudicate over things that still aren't clear even after a dozen replays.

The offside rule was changed a few years ago so that level is on-side, and the benefit of the doubt is given to the attacker.
Part of Aguero is very fractionally offside and pre-VAR would almost certainly have got the benefit of the doubt..... and is not therefore a clear and obvious error.

VAR ruined the World Cup, is (further) ruining the Champions League and will ruin (further) the Prem next season.

Goal-line technology on the other hand is perfect. The players and fans have seen on tv how accurate the technology is and if there's a shot which may or may not have crossed the line, the ref makes his decision immediately and any quizzical glances are dealt with by a simple tap of the wrist.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:14 - Apr 18 with 2839 viewsBluefish

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:13 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

It's supposed to eliminate clear and obvious errors - but it's used to adjudicate over things that still aren't clear even after a dozen replays.

The offside rule was changed a few years ago so that level is on-side, and the benefit of the doubt is given to the attacker.
Part of Aguero is very fractionally offside and pre-VAR would almost certainly have got the benefit of the doubt..... and is not therefore a clear and obvious error.

VAR ruined the World Cup, is (further) ruining the Champions League and will ruin (further) the Prem next season.

Goal-line technology on the other hand is perfect. The players and fans have seen on tv how accurate the technology is and if there's a shot which may or may not have crossed the line, the ref makes his decision immediately and any quizzical glances are dealt with by a simple tap of the wrist.

Agree on all of that

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:16 - Apr 18 with 2831 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:14 - Apr 18 by Bluefish

Agree on all of that

Someone will spoil it shortly but this may be the first TWTD thread where I’ve agreed wholeheartedly with every post

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:17 - Apr 18 with 2826 viewsPJH

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:13 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

Agree on all of that apart from the ruining the World Cup bit because I would not know as I did not watch any of it.
Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:23 - Apr 18 with 2792 viewsITFC_Forever

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:17 - Apr 18 by PJH

Agree on all of that apart from the ruining the World Cup bit because I would not know as I did not watch any of it.

I might be over-doing it slightly, as the World Cup was one of the best ones in recent times, but there were some games that were spoiled by VAR.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:25 - Apr 18 with 2775 viewsReuser_is_God

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:16 - Apr 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Someone will spoil it shortly but this may be the first TWTD thread where I’ve agreed wholeheartedly with every post

Paul Lambert is a good football manager.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:25 - Apr 18 with 2768 viewsReuser_is_God

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:17 - Apr 18 by PJH

You didn't watch any of the World Cup?

Wow.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:26 - Apr 18 with 2755 viewsBluefish

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:25 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

Paul Lambert is a good football manager.

.......if you are a norwich fan

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:26 - Apr 18 with 2755 viewsKieran_Knows

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:25 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

Wow.

PJH was watching the Town DVD of 17/18 season (then turned it off when the last 4 games came on).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:50 - Apr 18 with 2685 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, VAR seems annoying when it is sued to judge hairsbreadth off-sides. But I presume you would want it to over-rule blatantly incorrect off-side decisions?
That's the whole problem - once you use VAR, it will be used to determine whether a player is off-side or not, however close the call.
Worse for dubious penalty kicks IMO, but if this leads to less fouling by defenders at corner kicks, it may eventually have a positive impact.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:10 - Apr 18 with 2624 viewsGuthrum

That will take time - and use - to refine the process. You can't expect a new system to be perfect from the start.

Most goals won't need VARing, in any case.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:10 - Apr 18 with 2617 viewsBrixtonBlue

Can't remember which game but during the World Cup I ended up celebrating a goal twice because of VAR!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:12 - Apr 18 with 2599 viewsBrixtonBlue

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:08 - Apr 18 by Bluefish

Exactly my thoughts. The best bit about football is not winning the game, it is not watching the replay afterwards, it is the 20 seconds of absolute bedlam and emotion straight after the goal. VAR will take that away.

I would rather have incorrect decisions that you can drown your sorrows about later and feel hard done by, you can hope that you can then get a shocker go for you before every game. I want pub debate not turn up and have clinical decisions and then just all go home again.

I hate VAR and have done since the start. It makes the premier league less and less appealing as they move towards a stale clinical atmosphere and result. Give me terracing and dirty pies any day

There will still be plenty of pub debate. Is your pub debate ONLY over errors?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:12 - Apr 18 with 2600 viewsBluefish

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:10 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

That will take time - and use - to refine the process. You can't expect a new system to be perfect from the start.

Most goals won't need VARing, in any case.

Isn't that why it was supposed to be tested before chucking it on to the biggest stages. Doing testing through the world cup and champions league seems odd

Goal line tech is great because it was tested properly and then rolled out

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:16 - Apr 18 with 2582 viewsBrixtonBlue

I'm afraid I'm going to be the dissenting voice in this thread, although I didn't see last night's VAR decision(s).

I do take the point that giving the attacker the benefit for offsides will be lost.

But to say VAR ruined the World Cup is just nonsense. It was the best World Cup in my lifetime, the highest scoring World Cup I believe, and VAR was well received after a shaky start. It added an extra drama while waiting for the decision. Far from ruining it, I thought it added to the spectacle.

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:19 - Apr 18 with 2566 viewsPJH

Wow.

No, I tend not to watch things on TV that I am not interested in.

The last World Cup that I watched extensively was 1982 although I think I watched quite a lot of 1990. I do not think that I have watched a ball kicked in the last four or five although I might have walked through a room when it was on.
Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:21 - Apr 18 with 2561 viewsfactual_blue

All to satisfy the incessant need for controversy for the studio pundits to discuss. This helps hide the fact that there's actually very little to say about the tactics and techniques in any given game of football, and so the pundits (nearly all of whom are woeful) need something to discuss.

The fact that most of them have a shaky grasp of the laws of the game doesn't help.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:22 - Apr 18 with 2554 viewsGlasgowBlue

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 09:08 - Apr 18 by Bluefish

Disagree. Plenty of time a goal is scored, the players and fans go mental only for the linesman to put his flag up and the ref goes over to talk to him. Same with penalties. Ref doesn't give it, linesman does so they consult.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:23 - Apr 18 with 2532 viewsBrixtonBlue

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:19 - Apr 18 by PJH

No, I tend not to watch things on TV that I am not interested in.

The last World Cup that I watched extensively was 1982 although I think I watched quite a lot of 1990. I do not think that I have watched a ball kicked in the last four or five although I might have walked through a room when it was on.

Blimey. Even my mum got caught up in the drama. You weren't even tempted when hearing mates talk about it or when England made the semis?! The whole country was into it!

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:24 - Apr 18 with 2530 viewsitfcjoe

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:22 - Apr 18 by GlasgowBlue

Disagree. Plenty of time a goal is scored, the players and fans go mental only for the linesman to put his flag up and the ref goes over to talk to him. Same with penalties. Ref doesn't give it, linesman does so they consult.

You are talking 1 in 15-20 goals like that - this will be 2-3 times a match.

I like the NFL, but the excitement doesn't touch football with video replay deciding nearly every major decision.

Sadly, the genie is out of the bottle though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:25 - Apr 18 with 2524 viewsGuthrum

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:12 - Apr 18 by Bluefish

Isn't that why it was supposed to be tested before chucking it on to the biggest stages. Doing testing through the world cup and champions league seems odd

Goal line tech is great because it was tested properly and then rolled out

You can test things all you like in the lab, but many of the problems will not emerge until it's actually used in action.

World Cup, CL, Prem are the obvious places to introduce it, as there are plenty of cameras at every game. League One/Two lacks the infrastructure (usually just a single camera on one side level with the half-way line).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:26 - Apr 18 with 2518 viewsrickw

I actually liked it in last night's match, it didn't affect the first 6 goals at all.
LLorente's goal wasn't clear if it brushed his arm or not so I can understand why the refs took their time over it but I think they reached the right conclusion. Many times knockout games have been hugely influenced by a dodgy decision if they can get them right then that's fair.

With the injury time goal/offside I think it added drama for the neutral, heartbreaking for Man City fans but amazing for Spurs. I didn't realise that you could be offside when the ball just deflects off your own player, but if that's the case Aguero was just offside.

I think the rule about giving benefit of the doubt to attackers was removed a few years ago, they not try to be precise. But I like others here agree when you are getting down to if one player's foot is ahead of someone else's shoulder or not then they should just call it level and move on... I would say if officials can't call it as offside within 30 seconds then it's obviously too close to call and give the benefit to the attackers - but that'd require a rule change.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:26 - Apr 18 with 2517 viewsbrazil1982

I agree. However there has been that much pressure from owners, managers, pundits, media for it. I remember Fat Sam calling for it years ago when he managed Bolton.

Refs get no end of criticism in this country...so this is the answer I'm afraid.

I honestly believe in 10 years', maybe more, every decision will be via VAR / studio ref and simply relayed to the pitch officials. Every throw in, etc will be 100% accurate. Then maybe the likes of Warnock will start talking about their players' performances rather than the Officials'.
Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:26 - Apr 18 with 2504 viewsBrixtonBlue

Until VAR on offsides can work as quickly and effectively.... on 10:24 - Apr 18 by itfcjoe

You are talking 1 in 15-20 goals like that - this will be 2-3 times a match.

I like the NFL, but the excitement doesn't touch football with video replay deciding nearly every major decision.

Sadly, the genie is out of the bottle though

It won't be 2-3 times a match. Did you watch the World Cup?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024