Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Environmental problems 11:00 - Apr 18 with 2701 viewsGeoffSentence

The long and short of it is that there are simply too many people.

We need a cull.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Environmental problems on 11:03 - Apr 18 with 2227 viewsRyorry

Oooh - 10 pages minimum, to run through Easter!

Agree with your first para as it happens, but it's something that rarely gets mentioned - can't think why!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Environmental problems on 11:09 - Apr 18 with 2208 viewsWeWereZombies

Welcome to TWTD, Thomas Malthus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Robert_Malthus

The World can carry the people just so long as the people look after the World.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Environmental problems on 11:11 - Apr 18 with 2200 viewsNo9

Correct me if I'm misinformed but didn't China as a communist country have a limitation on children in any given family? & wasn't that swept away in the new era?

I also seem to recall attempts at birth control in Africa

The real problem country , according to reports, now is India where the brith rate is rocketting
Environmental problems on 11:30 - Apr 18 with 2172 viewsWD19

Saw some stuff on LinkedIn a few days ago. The modelling is flawed, but it predicts the size of the largest cities on earth by 2100.

"Researchers at the Global Cities Institute have crunched the numbers to provide us with one view of the potential megacities of the future, extrapolating a variety of factors to project a list of the 101 largest cities in the years 2010, 2025, 2050, 2075, and 2100."

Lagos 88m, Kinshasa 84m, Dar es Salaam 74m.....etc.

Frightening.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/worlds-20-largest-megacities-2100/
Environmental problems on 11:34 - Apr 18 with 2159 viewsCoachRob

Environmental problems on 11:11 - Apr 18 by No9

Correct me if I'm misinformed but didn't China as a communist country have a limitation on children in any given family? & wasn't that swept away in the new era?

I also seem to recall attempts at birth control in Africa

The real problem country , according to reports, now is India where the brith rate is rocketting

India tried birth control as well during the 1970's in the form of sterilisation under Sanjay Gandhi. It was a terribly cruel policy that was thankfully stopped but left a legacy of families refusing polio drops as they feared the state was trying to sterilise them.

The views of neo-Malthusians should be rightly called out for what they are which is social Darwinism in it's most extreme form; eugenics, fascism etc.

“The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.” Mahatma Gandhi
Environmental problems on 11:39 - Apr 18 with 2151 viewsWD19

Environmental problems on 11:34 - Apr 18 by CoachRob

India tried birth control as well during the 1970's in the form of sterilisation under Sanjay Gandhi. It was a terribly cruel policy that was thankfully stopped but left a legacy of families refusing polio drops as they feared the state was trying to sterilise them.

The views of neo-Malthusians should be rightly called out for what they are which is social Darwinism in it's most extreme form; eugenics, fascism etc.

“The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed.” Mahatma Gandhi

Ah yes, Ghandi.....

"When Gandhi's wife was stricken with pneumonia, British doctors told her husband that a shot of penicillin would heal her; nevertheless, Gandhi refused to have alien medicine injected into her body, and she died. Soon after, Gandhi caught malaria and, relenting from the standard applied to his wife, allowed doctors to save his life with quinine."
Environmental problems on 11:42 - Apr 18 with 2144 viewsipswich78

Maybe Thanos had a point?

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Environmental problems on 11:44 - Apr 18 with 2135 viewsfactual_blue

Jonathan Swift came up with the answer back in 1729.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Environmental problems on 11:46 - Apr 18 with 2132 viewsGuthrum

Environmental problems on 11:09 - Apr 18 by WeWereZombies

Welcome to TWTD, Thomas Malthus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Robert_Malthus

The World can carry the people just so long as the people look after the World.

The problem with Malthus is that many of the major developments in agriculture and technology occurred after his time. These to a large extent circumvent the inevitable and regular collapses which are a central tenet of his theories.

The biggest issues (often historical) in agriculture are the types of crops and where they are grown. Land is turned over for cash crops rather than locally required foodstuffs. Often this is to supply some ephemeral fad or bright idea which then collapses, leaving farmers with a worthless product (e.g. groundnuts in West Africa). This may happen under government pressure to earn foreign revenue.

Also, land is opened up - again, sometimes for nationalistic reasons - to expand intensive crop growing into unsuitable areas. This leads to problems with water resources (e.g. the Aral Sea), soil exhaustion (plus over-use of chemical fertiliser) and deforestation with consequent massive erosion (e.g. Ethiopia).

Even when land is successfully reclaimed, human activity or mismanagement can waste the benefits, from the ancient destruction of the irrigation networks in the "Fertile Crescent" to the loss of peaty soil in the Fens.

It's not so much that we can't feed ourselves, or are likely to damage the planet in the process, but that we aren't going about it properly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Environmental problems on 11:54 - Apr 18 with 2110 viewsRyorry

Environmental problems on 11:46 - Apr 18 by Guthrum

The problem with Malthus is that many of the major developments in agriculture and technology occurred after his time. These to a large extent circumvent the inevitable and regular collapses which are a central tenet of his theories.

The biggest issues (often historical) in agriculture are the types of crops and where they are grown. Land is turned over for cash crops rather than locally required foodstuffs. Often this is to supply some ephemeral fad or bright idea which then collapses, leaving farmers with a worthless product (e.g. groundnuts in West Africa). This may happen under government pressure to earn foreign revenue.

Also, land is opened up - again, sometimes for nationalistic reasons - to expand intensive crop growing into unsuitable areas. This leads to problems with water resources (e.g. the Aral Sea), soil exhaustion (plus over-use of chemical fertiliser) and deforestation with consequent massive erosion (e.g. Ethiopia).

Even when land is successfully reclaimed, human activity or mismanagement can waste the benefits, from the ancient destruction of the irrigation networks in the "Fertile Crescent" to the loss of peaty soil in the Fens.

It's not so much that we can't feed ourselves, or are likely to damage the planet in the process, but that we aren't going about it properly.

Precisely, and I think he assumed human wisdom as well as technological advances would grow faster than human greed!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Environmental problems on 12:38 - Apr 18 with 2049 viewsJ2BLUE

Maybe child benefit for the first child only?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Environmental problems on 15:12 - Apr 18 with 1958 viewsGeoffSentence

Environmental problems on 12:38 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Maybe child benefit for the first child only?

The problem is a global one, not really solvable by cutting back on child benefit.

I suggest that everyone who believes in an afterlife should offer to shuffle off this mortal coil toute de suite. I reckon that would account for 2 - 3 Bn people.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Environmental problems on 15:23 - Apr 18 with 1940 viewsITFC_Forever

Can we make suggestions for who should be at the top of the cull?

People who can't walk properly in supermarkets / town etc. I don't mean people who are genuinely physically impaired, but people who have no semblance of observational skills and / or spatial awareness and look at you as if you're the one in the wrong when you nearly bump in to them when they suddenly stop walking or veer off in another direction.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Environmental problems on 15:26 - Apr 18 with 1931 viewsJ2BLUE

Environmental problems on 15:12 - Apr 18 by GeoffSentence

The problem is a global one, not really solvable by cutting back on child benefit.

I suggest that everyone who believes in an afterlife should offer to shuffle off this mortal coil toute de suite. I reckon that would account for 2 - 3 Bn people.

It would help. Quite a lot of what we're told to do is a drop in the ocean.

Truly impaired.

Environmental problems on 15:29 - Apr 18 with 1920 viewsrgp1

Environmental problems on 15:23 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

People who can't walk properly in supermarkets / town etc. I don't mean people who are genuinely physically impaired, but people who have no semblance of observational skills and / or spatial awareness and look at you as if you're the one in the wrong when you nearly bump in to them when they suddenly stop walking or veer off in another direction.

Imagine if we had a supermarket cull, then the world would end!
Environmental problems on 15:30 - Apr 18 with 1907 viewsHarry_Palmer

No, the problem is there are too many greedy selfish people intend on putting their own needs before that of the planet and their fellow man/woman. De-population of the poor is not the answer, not when the rich will still be abusing the planet and all the resources she has to offer.
Environmental problems on 15:30 - Apr 18 with 1905 viewsSpruceMoose

Environmental problems on 15:23 - Apr 18 by ITFC_Forever

Everyone in IP3.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Environmental problems on 15:31 - Apr 18 with 1902 viewsJ2BLUE

Environmental problems on 15:30 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

Everyone in IP3.

Try it.

Truly impaired.

Environmental problems on 15:33 - Apr 18 with 1898 viewsSpruceMoose

Environmental problems on 15:31 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Try it.

I doubt you'd put up much fight. Too much time clicking a mouse for you, while I've been stateside clicking a trigger.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Environmental problems on 15:34 - Apr 18 with 1892 viewsJ2BLUE

Environmental problems on 15:33 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I doubt you'd put up much fight. Too much time clicking a mouse for you, while I've been stateside clicking a trigger.

Well you have to stop her leaving somehow I suppose.

Truly impaired.

Environmental problems on 15:41 - Apr 18 with 1864 viewsSpruceMoose

Environmental problems on 15:34 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Well you have to stop her leaving somehow I suppose.

I would estimate that at least half of your posts to me reference my wife...

Get your own buddy, then worry about her!

Environmental problems on 15:45 - Apr 18 with 1857 viewsJ2BLUE

Environmental problems on 15:41 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I would estimate that at least half of your posts to me reference my wife...

Get your own buddy, then worry about her!

Today maybe, not in general.

Anyway, i'm worried about her. I strongly suspect she might be a hostage.

Truly impaired.

Environmental problems on 15:45 - Apr 18 with 1852 viewsSpruceMoose

Environmental problems on 15:45 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Today maybe, not in general.

Anyway, i'm worried about her. I strongly suspect she might be a hostage.

Nah. It's been an ongoing thing for a few weeks now.

Get yourself on Tinder Bucko, I'm sure there's someone out there willing to tolerate you.

Environmental problems on 15:49 - Apr 18 with 1843 viewsJ2BLUE

Environmental problems on 15:45 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

Nah. It's been an ongoing thing for a few weeks now.

Get yourself on Tinder Bucko, I'm sure there's someone out there willing to tolerate you.

I'd rather not.

Truly impaired.

Environmental problems on 15:52 - Apr 18 with 1834 viewsSpruceMoose

Environmental problems on 15:49 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

I'd rather not.

Might have to leave the old basement eh!?

Anyhow, keep your mitts off my missus buddy

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024