Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Home theatre 12:23 - Apr 18 with 1957 viewssparks

We use a smart tv in living room for netflux anazon etc and still have a dvd too. I have a rarely used old surround sound system with optical and coax inputs.

Thinking about a projector for the basement and moving the surround stuff down there for films and streaming with sound that wont disturb the kids upstairs at night.

Issue is how do i get streams through the projector. I could use my laptop but i dont think it has optical or coax audio out so i wouldnt get the 5.1 sound. It does have hdmi.

Does one get a roku or something? Do they deal with 5.1? What solutions do the folks of twtd employ...?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Home theatre on 12:30 - Apr 18 with 1922 viewsJakeITFC

Sky box/PS4/Xbox are the options I’ve used in the past.
Home theatre on 12:42 - Apr 18 with 1901 viewssparks

Home theatre on 12:30 - Apr 18 by JakeITFC

Sky box/PS4/Xbox are the options I’ve used in the past.

Part of my confusion may be the old amp which only handles audio. Seems that these days amps coordinate the video as well.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Home theatre on 13:14 - Apr 18 with 1843 viewsNo9

Home theatre on 12:42 - Apr 18 by sparks

Part of my confusion may be the old amp which only handles audio. Seems that these days amps coordinate the video as well.

Have you get a Naim dealer near you?
Home theatre on 13:18 - Apr 18 with 1827 viewssparks

Home theatre on 13:14 - Apr 18 by No9

Have you get a Naim dealer near you?

No idea

Home theatre on 13:24 - Apr 18 with 1814 viewsKeanos_Monkey

Buy an Apple TV box and plug it in to the projector via HDMI.

Make sure your wifi signal is good in the basement though.
Home theatre on 13:42 - Apr 18 with 1787 viewsNo9

Home theatre on 13:18 - Apr 18 by sparks

No idea

Pity they could probably help you
Home theatre on 15:51 - Apr 18 with 1734 viewsGodBlue

My media room is the XGIMI Z4 Aurora led projector (it’s old now), which has built in android OS for most services, but it is a Chromecast plugged into it too for the rest.

For the most part though, I have an hdmi/audio switch which controls the source from the Xbox and Nintendo Switch and outputs video to the projector and audio to Sonos home theatre speakers.

I likes it a lot!

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Home theatre on 15:58 - Apr 18 with 1723 viewsfarkenhell

Home theatre on 15:51 - Apr 18 by GodBlue

My media room is the XGIMI Z4 Aurora led projector (it’s old now), which has built in android OS for most services, but it is a Chromecast plugged into it too for the rest.

For the most part though, I have an hdmi/audio switch which controls the source from the Xbox and Nintendo Switch and outputs video to the projector and audio to Sonos home theatre speakers.

I likes it a lot!

I understood the last paragraph. The rest of it is a complete fog!

Bloody hell, I have morphed into my old man - god help me!!
Login to get fewer ads

Home theatre on 16:25 - Apr 18 with 1700 viewssparks

Home theatre on 15:51 - Apr 18 by GodBlue

I likes it a lot!

Looks like the answer is to buy a set top box or 4k Smart blu ray with audio out. Alternatively buy a new combined av receiver.

I wonder... could i plug a firestick in the back of my dvd player... wouldnt be 4k but it does handle 5.1 sound.

Home theatre on 16:47 - Apr 18 with 1668 viewsCoastalblue

Not sure I've completely got you, but if I have is it worth looking at an Nvidia Shield?

I used one as the centre of my media for a while and for a box a little bigger than a fag packet it's extrodinary what it can do. I only changed in the end as I found it was getting unreliable for Plex.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/
EDIT:
In fact I'm away next week, but if you're not in a rush and at the planning stage then my old shield is sitting here doing nothing, I'd happily mail it to you if you want to have a play? If it works then you can either buy one and mail mine back or make me an offer, wouldn't want much as I doubt I'll use it again.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 16:50]

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Home theatre on 17:52 - Apr 18 with 1621 viewsbadadski

What supported the speakers and acted as an av receiver or amplifier in the first placed as it would normally be this. was it an old dvd player with built in speaker terminals or an old av receiver.?

Without this you will need an av receiver to get proper 5.1 surround as it needs to read and relay the codecs from the blu ray or dvd discs to relay them into the correct sound format- dolby digital, atmos etc
Home theatre on 19:29 - Apr 18 with 1586 viewssparks

Home theatre on 16:47 - Apr 18 by Coastalblue

Not sure I've completely got you, but if I have is it worth looking at an Nvidia Shield?

I used one as the centre of my media for a while and for a box a little bigger than a fag packet it's extrodinary what it can do. I only changed in the end as I found it was getting unreliable for Plex.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/
EDIT:
In fact I'm away next week, but if you're not in a rush and at the planning stage then my old shield is sitting here doing nothing, I'd happily mail it to you if you want to have a play? If it works then you can either buy one and mail mine back or make me an offer, wouldn't want much as I doubt I'll use it again.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 16:50]

Thanks- but it looks like it wouldnt have the 5.1 audio out that I would need for my old amp. Might be time to upgrade the amp.

Home theatre on 19:31 - Apr 18 with 1581 viewssparks

Home theatre on 17:52 - Apr 18 by badadski

What supported the speakers and acted as an av receiver or amplifier in the first placed as it would normally be this. was it an old dvd player with built in speaker terminals or an old av receiver.?

Without this you will need an av receiver to get proper 5.1 surround as it needs to read and relay the codecs from the blu ray or dvd discs to relay them into the correct sound format- dolby digital, atmos etc

I have a wonderful amp- which deals very well with 5.1 sound. However, it is a purely audio amp- not an AV receiver, so the source needs to have an audio out via co ax or optical to go into the amp.

Sounds like it may be an issue anyway- because the new standards for 5.1 wont work with my old amp which takes Dolby digital and DTS.

Home theatre on 12:53 - Apr 19 with 1421 viewsbadadski

Home theatre on 19:31 - Apr 18 by sparks

I have a wonderful amp- which deals very well with 5.1 sound. However, it is a purely audio amp- not an AV receiver, so the source needs to have an audio out via co ax or optical to go into the amp.

Sounds like it may be an issue anyway- because the new standards for 5.1 wont work with my old amp which takes Dolby digital and DTS.

Av receivers just pass through video signals and still mostly for Audio codec and multiple devices so your old amp should be fine. If you have problems with visual codecs then look for a blu Ray player with 2 hdmi or one hdmi for video and an optical or coax for audio.

My av reciver doesn’t like 4K source so I got round by getting a 2 hdmi blu Ray player so can plug one into my av receiver for sound and the other one straight to tv for the 4K signal.

Pain in the as.s but works .

To sum it up older devices are probably going to be better that still have separate audio channels and not just use the 1 hdmi to pass through audio and video where you will encounter a problem

Old roku or nvidia some one mentioned also for the streaming, I think apple scrapped optical out coax so they won’t do . Maybe old now tv box ? Unsure of why had hdmi and coax/optical . Not even sure but old now tv . My go to would probably be an older smart blu Ray player with streaming services with hdmi and optical. When I say old it’s probably still going to be only 4/5 years old lol

Edit - like some one mentioned just found PS4 has hdmi and optical out also so that would work .
Projector to PS4 hdmi for visual but optical to old amp for 5.1 .
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 12:57]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024