Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters 14:31 - Apr 18 with 3832 viewsbaxterbasics

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:18 - Apr 19 with 906 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 17:35 - Apr 18 by chicoazul

How surprised I am to find you don't understand.

LOL. But it’s everyone else that’s stupid...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:19 - Apr 19 with 902 viewsDubtractor

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:15 - Apr 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He knows it’s not true, but that hasn’t stopped plenty of people labelling people as such. Which is exactly the point he’s making

It IS true though, that a lot of people voted leave because of immigration. Virtually everyone I know that voted leave did so largely for that reason.

Doesn't necessarily make them racists though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:30 - Apr 19 with 865 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:19 - Apr 19 by Dubtractor

It IS true though, that a lot of people voted leave because of immigration. Virtually everyone I know that voted leave did so largely for that reason.

Doesn't necessarily make them racists though.

Of course it is and I didn’t say it wasn’t, however it’s not the only reason and as you say doesn’t necessarily make those people racist

There are people that are happy to paint them as such though - and not a small number either. And those people push a significant number of people over to things like Brexit, IMO

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:33 - Apr 19 with 860 viewsDubtractor

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:30 - Apr 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Of course it is and I didn’t say it wasn’t, however it’s not the only reason and as you say doesn’t necessarily make those people racist

There are people that are happy to paint them as such though - and not a small number either. And those people push a significant number of people over to things like Brexit, IMO

Yep.

One of my big frustrations from the whole brexit campaigning is that there are huge benefits (financially and culturally) from immigration, but little or no focus was put on them.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:44 - Apr 19 with 847 viewsHerbivore

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:33 - Apr 19 by Dubtractor

Yep.

One of my big frustrations from the whole brexit campaigning is that there are huge benefits (financially and culturally) from immigration, but little or no focus was put on them.

Says who? According to a gardener from Great Bentley multiculturalism is a load of balls.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:48 - Apr 19 with 839 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:33 - Apr 19 by Dubtractor

Yep.

Not just the Brexit debate. I can’t ever remember a time when politicians have actively campaigned to highlight the positive effects of immigration. Both cultural and economic.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 09:02 - Apr 19 with 824 viewslowhouseblue

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:48 - Apr 19 by GlasgowBlue

Not just the Brexit debate. I can’t ever remember a time when politicians have actively campaigned to highlight the positive effects of immigration. Both cultural and economic.

it's not just highlighting the positive effects, it's making sure that they are evenly shared. immigration is never an issue during periods of prosperity or greater economic equality. you also need to mitigate any negative effects because they always fall on the same people.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 09:18 - Apr 19 with 795 viewsGlasgowBlue

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 09:02 - Apr 19 by lowhouseblue

it's not just highlighting the positive effects, it's making sure that they are evenly shared. immigration is never an issue during periods of prosperity or greater economic equality. you also need to mitigate any negative effects because they always fall on the same people.

Fair point. Our media are also one sided in the debate. So you have certain sections of the press who only publish negative stories involving immigration whilst ignoring anything positive, and on the other side you have certain sections of the press who only publish positive stories involving immigration whilst looking the other way and ignoring negative stories.

There is a void where honest and grown up debate should take place.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 12:15 - Apr 19 with 753 viewsLord_Lucan

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 08:15 - Apr 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He knows it’s not true, but that hasn’t stopped plenty of people labelling people as such. Which is exactly the point he’s making

The ironic thing is that Europe is full of real far right parties who make our so called far right parties kids stuff - and I'm not talking about small parties with a few odd bods, I'm talking about mainstream parties.

If people keep referring to pretty mainstream individuals as Nazis and fascists then no one will notice when a real Nazi comes along.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 13:06 - Apr 19 with 717 viewstractordownsouth

Farage getting support from some unlikely quarters on 12:15 - Apr 19 by Lord_Lucan

The ironic thing is that Europe is full of real far right parties who make our so called far right parties kids stuff - and I'm not talking about small parties with a few odd bods, I'm talking about mainstream parties.

If people keep referring to pretty mainstream individuals as Nazis and fascists then no one will notice when a real Nazi comes along.

True, although Katie Hopkins has already come along

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024