Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest footballing mistakes 21:20 - Apr 18 with 1881 viewsAlexGreen

Thinking of some of the individual errors we've encountered this season made me reflect on my own footballing misachievements.

I remember playing in goal for my school, coming to the edge of the box and inexplicably picking up a pass-back outside of the area, then, in my rush to take attention away, I hurled the ball out for a throw-in.

They scored the resulting free kick.

Anyone else want to confess?

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Biggest footballing mistakes on 21:38 - Apr 18 with 1819 viewsWD19

Saw a guy catch a ball 2 yards in from the touch line on the halfway line once. Assume he had decided it was going out for a throw in and decided to save time.

Personally speaking, biggest goalkeeping howler was in a 5-a-side where I went to trap a back pass. Looked up and it ran under my foot and in.

Biggest footballing mistake overall was a sliding goaline clearance as a full back. Got back on the cover behind the keeper who had been beaten and cleared the ball off the line....

....then slid on into the goalpost and shattered my kneecap.
Biggest footballing mistakes on 21:54 - Apr 18 with 1788 viewsITFC_Forever

Everyone’s played in goal and missed a back-pass at some point in their life!

There was a guy in our Sunday team who used to score own goals by the bucket load. In our end-of-season awards, we used to have an Own Goal of the season award, which he used to win every year, so much so, the award was named after him. One year no-one scored an OG and he thought he was safe for once..... we gave it to him anyway out of habit.

Edit: Something Blue claimed it one year with a beauty in to the top corner. I was in goal and knew what was coming even before he shaped up to deal with the ball in to the box, but I was still helpless to deal with it.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 21:55]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I was defending a corner once..... on 22:00 - Apr 18 with 1766 viewsBloots

....it was swung in to the far post, I rose like a salmon to head it clear.

And followed through.

I was hungover.

In fact probably still hammered.

Sunday morning pub football.

Funny.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:00 - Apr 18 with 1754 viewsgtsb

Purely on the subject matter Sheepshanks spunking a shed load on two stands comes close.
Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:01 - Apr 18 with 1754 viewsMelford

Melford at home to Woodhall United (the team from Sudbury that all mates played for) did a Bryan Gunn, only instead of kicking it I bent down to catch it, hit a bobble and went over my hands into the net. Everybody from both sides ripping into me, had a massive argument with the manager after the game and I hardly ever played after that.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:04 - Apr 18 with 1739 viewsgtsb

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:01 - Apr 18 by Melford

Melford at home to Woodhall United (the team from Sudbury that all mates played for) did a Bryan Gunn, only instead of kicking it I bent down to catch it, hit a bobble and went over my hands into the net. Everybody from both sides ripping into me, had a massive argument with the manager after the game and I hardly ever played after that.

You must be slightly younger than me. I lived in Woodhall, my mum still does, all through my childhood but we never had a football team. For years I played for Springlands Colts up at Woodhall farm.
Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:12 - Apr 18 with 1722 viewsMelford

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:04 - Apr 18 by gtsb

You must be slightly younger than me. I lived in Woodhall, my mum still does, all through my childhood but we never had a football team. For years I played for Springlands Colts up at Woodhall farm.

This was about 1993/4ish. About the same time we got dicked 9-0 at home by Whitton with Keiron Dyer smashing a hat-trick past me, although I did save one of his penalties.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:17 - Apr 18 with 1696 viewsgtsb

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:12 - Apr 18 by Melford

This was about 1993/4ish. About the same time we got dicked 9-0 at home by Whitton with Keiron Dyer smashing a hat-trick past me, although I did save one of his penalties.

I'm talking mid/late 70's. You're obviously a lot younger. It was Springlands and Cornard Dynamos era. Perry Groves played for Cornard.
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest footballing mistakes on 22:46 - Apr 18 with 1653 viewsEwan_Oozami

Farnborough FC Reserves - 1985 - covering the near post at a corner - ball came towards me - went to head it out - missed the ball completely - headed the post instead - ball flew past met and bounced off the keeper into the net - I was carried off with concussion - I was always known as "Nowhere" (as is in "nowhere near post") after that...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Biggest footballing mistakes on 10:18 - Apr 19 with 1381 viewsGeoffSentence

My team had a.truly dreadful keeper for a while, nicknamed The Fish because he flapped around like a booked trout, defensively we had to compensate for him all the time.

In probably his second or third game, by which time we knew how bad he was, I ran in behind him as he went for a cross as it was inevitable that it would slip through his hands, imagined myself heading the ball to safety amongst great acclamation, only to nod it straight into.the back.of the net when the inevitable happened.

I felt like a tuuat, and only partly because the rest of the team said so.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Biggest footballing mistakes on 10:22 - Apr 19 with 1373 viewsWD19

Biggest footballing mistakes on 10:18 - Apr 19 by GeoffSentence

My team had a.truly dreadful keeper for a while, nicknamed The Fish because he flapped around like a booked trout, defensively we had to compensate for him all the time.

In probably his second or third game, by which time we knew how bad he was, I ran in behind him as he went for a cross as it was inevitable that it would slip through his hands, imagined myself heading the ball to safety amongst great acclamation, only to nod it straight into.the back.of the net when the inevitable happened.

I felt like a tuuat, and only partly because the rest of the team said so.

Ah, so that is your connection to ALB!

Biggest footballing mistakes on 13:33 - Apr 19 with 1287 viewsgreyhound

I was in goal once and a lad in defence decided he would also see what it was like to catch the ball... Considering the shot was sailing in the away side where mortified when I saved the penalty.

Karma came to bite when a goal kick five minutes later barely made it out of my own box and left the easiest tap in you could imagine. Dead embarrassed after the celebrations of the penalty save.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024