Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday 09:44 - Apr 19 with 2378 viewsSteve_M

FFS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47985469

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 09:57 - Apr 19 with 2342 viewshampstead_blue

It's been rumbling for a long time now. This was inevitable.
Even when it was much busier the news never bothered to report in any detail what was going on.

It is brutal behind the scenes.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:11 - Apr 19 with 2316 viewssparks

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 09:57 - Apr 19 by hampstead_blue

It's been rumbling for a long time now. This was inevitable.
Even when it was much busier the news never bothered to report in any detail what was going on.

It is brutal behind the scenes.

Relatively small enclaves of real nutters it seems. But of course, the tensions remain because the history is still only a generation old.

My wife and kids were there 2 days ago walking the walls.

I last went to Londonderry many years ago now, but back then it was a weird weird place to visit. Still masts full of CCTV protected by steel mesh pointed at the bogside, police vehicles were still armoured landrovers.

Even now, you can still drive along many roads where every single kerbstone and lampost is painted red white and blue, and then they suddenly switch to green orange and white.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:24 - Apr 19 with 2301 viewsBluefish

Blood on the brexiteers hands. Fair enough if you want to leave the EU but don't promote it or push for it without a plan for Ireland

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:36 - Apr 19 with 2283 viewsTrequartista

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:24 - Apr 19 by Bluefish

Blood on the brexiteers hands. Fair enough if you want to leave the EU but don't promote it or push for it without a plan for Ireland

Blood is on the hands of the perpetrators only. It is not the fault of those wanting an independent UK that Tony Blair has effectively locked us into the EU.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:52 - Apr 19 with 2254 viewssparks

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:36 - Apr 19 by Trequartista

Blood is on the hands of the perpetrators only. It is not the fault of those wanting an independent UK that Tony Blair has effectively locked us into the EU.

Correct. But don't turn this into a brexit thread.

Mrs Sparks came back from NI with a story from her Dad. She really had no idea of much of the stuff that her Dad saw when she was growing up- though she certainly experienced armed checkpoints and heard a bomb going off.

Her Dad was an independent bread man. An odd concept to most of us in England, but apparently normal over there at the time. He was self employed with a large van and would get up at stupid o clock (2.30am) every morning collect bread and other morning goods and then go delivering around the countryside both to small shops and to individuals. He kept a stock of sweets and crisps etc as well. Never had a day off in his life for fear of losing customers, until our wedding.

He delievered to many catholic folk despite being protestant. There was one particular fellow who he saw from time to time, but generally just left the bread on the windowsill, and then maybe once a week or fortnight, there would be an envelope with the payment in it. Delivered there for years.

One night there had been some serious trouble- catholics killed. He arrived for that delivery and saw the customer. He said the look on his face was such that he knew that if he stayed to deliver he was in serious danger. Neither of them said anything, but he simply got back in his van, drove away, and never went to that property again. He was owed £4.87 but obviously never went to collect it.

Many years later, post Good Friday agreement, he was delivering to a shop. After settling up with the owner and doing the delivery, the owner mentioned that someone had left an envelope for him the previous day. The envelope contained £5. He knew exactly who it must have been from and why.

He dug out 13 pence change and popped it in the envelope before asking the shopkeeper to pass that back to the person who had left the envelope next time he was in the shop.

Had the Wife and I in tears last night when she recounted the tale.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 11:00]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:54 - Apr 19 with 2242 viewsbluejacko

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:24 - Apr 19 by Bluefish

What a load of utter bollards!
Do you know anything about the ira? Because if you did you would know they have NEVER gone away! Who do you think controls the drug trade, smuggling etc in those areas?
This has been going on for decades but idiots like you now jump on a bandwagon and try to blame everything on Brexit.
A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 11:00 - Apr 19 with 2209 viewsBluefish

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:54 - Apr 19 by bluejacko

What a load of utter bollards!
Do you know anything about the ira? Because if you did you would know they have NEVER gone away! Who do you think controls the drug trade, smuggling etc in those areas?
This has been going on for decades but idiots like you now jump on a bandwagon and try to blame everything on Brexit.

We all know that they have never gone away but the last thing that the peace time needed was to stoke the fire. If you camt accept that this has been detrimental to the peace process then you are a danger

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 11:16 - Apr 19 with 2169 viewsFtnfwest

Otherwise you get shot?
Login to get fewer ads

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 11:57 - Apr 19 with 2128 viewsGlasgowBlue

You've let yourself down with that post mate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 12:06 - Apr 19 with 2119 viewsbluejacko

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 11:00 - Apr 19 by Bluefish

We all know that they have never gone away but the last thing that the peace time needed was to stoke the fire. If you camt accept that this has been detrimental to the peace process then you are a danger

Here I am sitting in Portstewart NI and guess what I am talking to actual people who live with this day in day out and this has NOTHING to do with the peace process.
Still dont let me alter your views of the ‘freedom fighters’ you just keep coming out with your idiotic jargon.
A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 12:16 - Apr 19 with 2083 viewsBloomBlue

We haven't left the EU yet, if you want to put the blood on anyone's hand put in on the EU as we're still part of the EU.

However it doesnt matter if we're in or out of the EU with those nutters they wont stop until they stop being part of the UK and part of a reunited Ireland and that has nothing to do with in or out of the EU.
A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 13:07 - Apr 19 with 2030 viewsBluefish

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 11:57 - Apr 19 by GlasgowBlue

You've let yourself down with that post mate.

You have with that reply

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 13:10 - Apr 19 with 2010 viewsjjblue84

What’s amazing is that people think all the problems have been solved by the Belfast Agreement. We’re just in a period of transition until the Southern Irish take charge!
A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 13:25 - Apr 19 with 1977 viewsWeWereZombies

It's not enough to say she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, you have to wonder why (apparently) a paramilitary group killed a media writer for an online outlet based in California. It might have nothing to do with her being a journalist and be down to who she was living with. Whatever the, senseless, reason for her execution it is, as others have already pointed out, a sign of the simmering tensions that lie under a fragile peace.

I was last in Northern Ireland less than two years ago (at first to experience a Friday night in A&E at Newry hospital due to a desire to be treated by the NHS rather than in the Republic) and was shocked to see UVF flags amongst the Union flags on display during August as I drove the Antrim glens (and, of course, one town where a tricolour flew on the small green next to the harbour). And like Bulbeck's wife and daughters I have walked the city walls in Derry/Londonderry - full of historic interest and a lovely stroll on a sunny day but there was a slight interruption due to a bomb scare. I want to say don't let the bad news put you off visiting but I am thinking twice about a plan to go next month now.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 13:34 - Apr 19 with 1946 viewsPinewoodblue

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 10:11 - Apr 19 by sparks

Relatively small enclaves of real nutters it seems. But of course, the tensions remain because the history is still only a generation old.

My wife and kids were there 2 days ago walking the walls.

I last went to Londonderry many years ago now, but back then it was a weird weird place to visit. Still masts full of CCTV protected by steel mesh pointed at the bogside, police vehicles were still armoured landrovers.

Even now, you can still drive along many roads where every single kerbstone and lampost is painted red white and blue, and then they suddenly switch to green orange and white.

Last visited in January, armoured Landrovers were in the streets then, had been a car bomb the night before. Think when you say it is a minority of hot heads you are right, got the impression that those who lived through the worst of the troubles are determined that it isn't going to happen again.

Back in October, fly to Derry from Stansted service now provided by Loganair.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 16:09 - Apr 19 with 1850 viewsbluejacko

A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 13:25 - Apr 19 by WeWereZombies

It's not enough to say she was in the wrong place at the wrong time, you have to wonder why (apparently) a paramilitary group killed a media writer for an online outlet based in California. It might have nothing to do with her being a journalist and be down to who she was living with. Whatever the, senseless, reason for her execution it is, as others have already pointed out, a sign of the simmering tensions that lie under a fragile peace.

I was last in Northern Ireland less than two years ago (at first to experience a Friday night in A&E at Newry hospital due to a desire to be treated by the NHS rather than in the Republic) and was shocked to see UVF flags amongst the Union flags on display during August as I drove the Antrim glens (and, of course, one town where a tricolour flew on the small green next to the harbour). And like Bulbeck's wife and daughters I have walked the city walls in Derry/Londonderry - full of historic interest and a lovely stroll on a sunny day but there was a slight interruption due to a bomb scare. I want to say don't let the bad news put you off visiting but I am thinking twice about a plan to go next month now.

Don’t let the idiots put you off! Just been for a walk along the Portstewart strand normal people doing normal things here !
A journalist murdered in Northern Ireland yesterday on 09:14 - Apr 20 with 1759 viewsWeWereZombies

Shot by teenagers ffs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47996258

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024