Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down 21:30 - Apr 19 with 4787 viewsWestcountryblue

On the one hand, we have several veterans in our side, Skuse and Chambers. Both are reasonable players at this level, but not world beaters. However, our reliance on these two is both on unfair on them and detrimental to the team. Quite simply, we need more seasoned campaigners to come and support them. Collins isn't involved enough to make a significant impact.

On the other hand, we have a talented group of 6-7 players who are learning their trade in one of the most competitive and lucrative leagues in the world. Personally, while these players are obviously grateful for the opportunity to play, i feel our situation isn't probably the best time to blood so many youngsters, both for us and their development.

In between this we have nothing, but a handful of very inexperienced and untested players at this level whose confidence is likely to have taken a battering this season. A lot of the blame can be laid at the feet of Paul Hurst, who recruited naively. When you take experienced seasoned pros like Garner, McGoldrick, Berra, Tommy Smith, Waghorn, Webster and even the likes of Carayol, Hyam, Bru and others who left last season with more than 100 appearances to their name at this level...then the impact on an already underfunded team is catastrophic.

[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 21:32]
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 21:39 - Apr 19 with 4111 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’d say chronically bad decisions are a bigger problem. Funding helps of course, but we’ve overspent on crap this year and not unearthed any bargains. Indeed a lot of the blame can be laid at Hurst’s door. That was a shocking summer. We lost the key parts of a competitive side and replaced them with £multi-million donkeys. Yep, rip the wuality out and this is what you get. The likes of Skuse and Sears were never the match-winning stars, but we’ve been reduced to relying on players like them. ME needs his head reading for allowing last summer to happen.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 21:45 - Apr 19 with 4098 viewsWestcountryblue

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 21:39 - Apr 19 by Swansea_Blue

I’d say chronically bad decisions are a bigger problem. Funding helps of course, but we’ve overspent on crap this year and not unearthed any bargains. Indeed a lot of the blame can be laid at Hurst’s door. That was a shocking summer. We lost the key parts of a competitive side and replaced them with £multi-million donkeys. Yep, rip the wuality out and this is what you get. The likes of Skuse and Sears were never the match-winning stars, but we’ve been reduced to relying on players like them. ME needs his head reading for allowing last summer to happen.

The decision to let Tommy Smith leave on a nominal fee because 'it was a great opportunity for him' baffles me. Anybody would think we were a park team, not a team involved in one of the most high profile leagues in the world.

We took a lot of Championship experience and goals out of the team last year, but McCarthy shouldn't of been put in the situation he was in. He is a good manager, but was severely restricted in everything he did.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 07:09 - Apr 20 with 3971 viewsTractorWood

I think the squad's dross. Skuse and Chambers are patently the wrong side of 33. Dozzell and Bishop haven't mustered a decent game between them all season. I'm really worried.

As someone said earlier. We are too accepting and accomodating of players who are clearly not up to it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 07:42 - Apr 20 with 3922 viewsBlueBadger

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 21:45 - Apr 19 by Westcountryblue

The decision to let Tommy Smith leave on a nominal fee because 'it was a great opportunity for him' baffles me. Anybody would think we were a park team, not a team involved in one of the most high profile leagues in the world.

We took a lot of Championship experience and goals out of the team last year, but McCarthy shouldn't of been put in the situation he was in. He is a good manager, but was severely restricted in everything he did.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - had Mick been afforded the resources that Keane and Jewell wasted he'd have comfortably got us up on 2015.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 08:51 - Apr 20 with 3848 viewsChocorange

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 07:42 - Apr 20 by BlueBadger

I've said it before and I'll say it again - had Mick been afforded the resources that Keane and Jewell wasted he'd have comfortably got us up on 2015.

Jesus wept, another thread diverted onto The wonder of Mick.

It's the past. It's gone. It's not coming back.

This thread is about lack of funding and what's going on now , not more historical blubbung.. If you want to blub, start a new thread of your own.

There are many things wrong with the current squad , way of playing etc it's good to hear people's views.
Someone on this thread said about playing lots of youngsters at the same time , very true.
There are no experienced heads apart from poor players past their best for them to learn 'know how' from , that seems to be sensible to me .

The best teams have' know how' we don't.. How to manage a game, how to swing decisions in your favour, when to buy a free kick, waste time etc, how to run a ball into the corner , take a booking for the team etc we only have Judge who shows even the slightest.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 08:55 - Apr 20 with 3829 viewsBlueBadger

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 08:51 - Apr 20 by Chocorange

This thread is about lack of funding and what's going on now , not more historical blubbung.. If you want to blub, start a new thread of your own.

There are many things wrong with the current squad , way of playing etc it's good to hear people's views.
Someone on this thread said about playing lots of youngsters at the same time , very true.
There are no experienced heads apart from poor players past their best for them to learn 'know how' from , that seems to be sensible to me .

The best teams have' know how' we don't.. How to manage a game, how to swing decisions in your favour, when to buy a free kick, waste time etc, how to run a ball into the corner , take a booking for the team etc we only have Judge who shows even the slightest.

It's a thread about Marcus Evans failure to fund the team, why would his most glaring failure in this respect not be worth a mention?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:07 - Apr 20 with 3819 viewsJohnny_Boy

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 07:42 - Apr 20 by BlueBadger

But that would have required him to rock the boat & demand extra funds from Evans.
Instead he was happy to take the excellent wages & literally do the bare minimum.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:14 - Apr 20 with 3808 viewsstrikalite

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 08:51 - Apr 20 by Chocorange

I'm not fully buying all this "kids stuff", these lads are in their twenties now, they've been around the place for a fair while, it's time to step up if they're good enough, at the top end look at Ajax, young but full of energy and talent, ffs they should be biting at the bit..

The truth is we simply lack match winners, midfielders that can power past a man with pace, everything is too simple, no quality outlets down the flanks, if you're playing one upfront then it's even more important have runners with the ball, and of all the midfielders very few have a shot in their locker, you have to be able to shoot from 20 ish yards given the chance, this has actually been our problem for years, yes YEARS!
Login to get fewer ads

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:28 - Apr 20 with 3786 viewsChocorange

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:14 - Apr 20 by strikalite

I'm not fully buying all this "kids stuff", these lads are in their twenties now, they've been around the place for a fair while, it's time to step up if they're good enough, at the top end look at Ajax, young but full of energy and talent, ffs they should be biting at the bit..

The truth is we simply lack match winners, midfielders that can power past a man with pace, everything is too simple, no quality outlets down the flanks, if you're playing one upfront then it's even more important have runners with the ball, and of all the midfielders very few have a shot in their locker, you have to be able to shoot from 20 ish yards given the chance, this has actually been our problem for years, yes YEARS!

Agree with much of this, so what's the solution?

Are the players we have capable of improving with the right coaching in time for next season?
Do we have the right coaches?
Or do we need to have another summer of change and offload many of the inadequate/incapable players and recruit better ones?
Or just hope that league 1 is so poor that we will go up without any trouble?

Incidentally, the fact that Bishop and Judge don't have any goals or assists , despite the runs and passes they make.. Are they good enough or is the blame laid at our strikers door for not making something of it?
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:50 - Apr 20 with 3758 viewschristiand

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 21:45 - Apr 19 by Westcountryblue

Not just MM, PH had to generate his own funds to get his new signings through the door and even then it was only a percentage of the transfer funds generated that was actually reinvested. I know there are some ME supporters on here, but he really is a p*ss poor owner. Does most things on the cheap and flitters from one plan to the next without any conviction. He continues to get a lot of important decisions wrong and doesn’t appear to learn from his mistakes. Throughout our sorry decline he’s been the constant, coincidence? I think not!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:56 - Apr 20 with 3747 viewsstrikalite

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:28 - Apr 20 by Chocorange

Are the players we have capable of improving with the right coaching in time for next season?
Or do we need to have another summer of change and offload many of the inadequate/incapable players and recruit better ones?

Incidentally, the fact that Bishop and Judge don't have any goals or assists , despite the runs and passes they make.. Are they good enough or is the blame laid at our strikers door for not making something of it?

Just look at our starting line-up yesterday for example, leaving out Chambers and Nsiala...

Josh E, Kenlock, Skuse Bishop, Downes, El Mizouni, Judge, Jackson...

Apart from Judge, where are the goals coming from? Jackson needs supply..

Andre on the bench, he's no goalscorer either...
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:57 - Apr 20 with 3745 viewschristiand

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:28 - Apr 20 by Chocorange

When you only have one target in the box when we attack, invariably that makes assists extremely difficult. Perhaps it’s also down to the formation deployed too? We’re just so slow and laboured when we are on the offensive it’s no surprise we can’t create anything because the opposition are already back in their defensive positions by the time we get players up in support.

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 10:12 - Apr 20 with 3723 viewsWestcountryblue

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 07:09 - Apr 20 by TractorWood

I think the squad's dross. Skuse and Chambers are patently the wrong side of 33. Dozzell and Bishop haven't mustered a decent game between them all season. I'm really worried.

As someone said earlier. We are too accepting and accomodating of players who are clearly not up to it.

I think people underestimate just how little football Dozzell and Bishop have played over the last couple of years. Both need a good preseason under their belt and it's not ideal having to throw them to the cut and thrust of the Championship each week, in a team that is up against the wall.

With a good preseason under their belt, i expect both to be big players for us next season. Wouldn't mind us keeping Adeyemi and getting him fit, as we need a strong and reasonably athletic player to accommodate them, and for me, Skuse doesn't have the legs anymore.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 10:19 - Apr 20 with 3715 viewsWestcountryblue

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:50 - Apr 20 by christiand

Not just MM, PH had to generate his own funds to get his new signings through the door and even then it was only a percentage of the transfer funds generated that was actually reinvested. I know there are some ME supporters on here, but he really is a p*ss poor owner. Does most things on the cheap and flitters from one plan to the next without any conviction. He continues to get a lot of important decisions wrong and doesn’t appear to learn from his mistakes. Throughout our sorry decline he’s been the constant, coincidence? I think not!

As a successful business man, it has surprised me how he was gone from strategy to strategy. First it was aim to have 50% of the first team squad comprised of players from out academy, then it was the 5 point plan and more recently it has been to recruit from the lower leagues.

The club needs a footballing philosophy...whether that's aggressive and direct or the traditional Ipswich way, that is incorporated through the reserves and each youth team.

Regarding our transfer policy, too much is made of 'needing' to recruit young players from the lower league. Quite simply, we just need to scout well and buy good players at the right prices. Mick did this well with the likes of Berra, McGoldrick, Murphy...paying good seasoned pros well and keeping the squad small and tight.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 10:44 - Apr 20 with 3698 viewsDennyx4

Evans has got a lot wrong in relation to letting players leave for nothing - been a consistent throughout all of the Managers, he has employed.

The thing that baffled me on top of this, was that we didn't appear to have the funds to replace Webster and started the season with one experienced centre half (Chambers). Then had to sell Waghorn to get the funds to buy Nsiala & Nolan.

If you look back to when Evans arrived, our average attendance was very similar to Derby's.
I know Derby haven't managed to get promoted, but they have been competing most seasons since, latest reports stated Derby owed Mel Morris £96m - seems very similar to what we owe Evans.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 14:15 - Apr 20 with 3591 viewsjas0999

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 21:39 - Apr 19 by Swansea_Blue

The decision to sell Webster was another poor decision, because remarkably we didn’t replace him until after the season had started and ended up on day one with just one senior CB at the club. Some would say it’s careless, but reckless would better sum it up. We messed around over £100 K for Tilt rather than just get the deal done.

Evans has subsequently admitted that he was prepared to fund fees OR wages, which is a ridiculous concept. It’s all well and good spending £1M but the market was significantly reduced as championship players wanted championship wages. We weren’t paying that because we spent a fee. Evans got that badly wrong.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 14:18 - Apr 20 with 3586 viewsjas0999

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:50 - Apr 20 by christiand

Good point well made. Evans hasn’t invested into the playing squad for years. He has reinvested SOME of the funds received, but by no means all. This has been going on for far too long.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 19:40 - Apr 20 with 3463 viewsSonOfSpock

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:56 - Apr 20 by strikalite

Just look at our starting line-up yesterday for example, leaving out Chambers and Nsiala...

Josh E, Kenlock, Skuse Bishop, Downes, El Mizouni, Judge, Jackson...

Apart from Judge, where are the goals coming from? Jackson needs supply..

Andre on the bench, he's no goalscorer either...

The bench is so threadbare we need to be extremely worried. There is nobody there that can or would affect a change on the pitch.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 07:30 - Apr 21 with 3277 viewsjonathanton

We will sign many new players, with many different attributes over the summer. Based on nothing, I believe / hope PL has a good knowledge of league players and the squad formed will actually be one that's been thought through. Our budget should allow this squad to be competitive in L1.

This has to be my hope.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:09 - Apr 21 with 3209 viewsChurchman

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 08:55 - Apr 20 by BlueBadger

It's a thread about Marcus Evans failure to fund the team, why would his most glaring failure in this respect not be worth a mention?

It’s more than Evans’ lack of investment. It is the way the club has been run since it bankrupted itself and the standards it aspires to. It is rotten from the top down and has been for years. Evans talks a few words and people are grateful. He will follow it up with the usual lack of investment (or ideas - I accept the argument why should he invest anything but if he wants to go, he should cut his losses and do so) and all at the club will accept mid table mediocrity next year on the basis that we are ‘building’. I looked at the Premier League this morning and saw Leicester, bankrupt at the same time as us with a worse team, Watford, Saints and a load of others (incl West Ham who used to be a similar sized club) and as it stands we have no future whatsoever and will never ever compete with them again. Can we even hope to compete with Fleetwood Burton and co? No, not really because they are well run, we are not. Until there is change we are trapped in decline. What that change might be or when, I’ve no idea. All I know is the club that’s has been in my blood for 50+ years is rotting away and I’m gutted about it.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:23 - Apr 21 with 3193 viewschristiand

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:09 - Apr 21 by Churchman

It’s more than Evans’ lack of investment. It is the way the club has been run since it bankrupted itself and the standards it aspires to. It is rotten from the top down and has been for years. Evans talks a few words and people are grateful. He will follow it up with the usual lack of investment (or ideas - I accept the argument why should he invest anything but if he wants to go, he should cut his losses and do so) and all at the club will accept mid table mediocrity next year on the basis that we are ‘building’. I looked at the Premier League this morning and saw Leicester, bankrupt at the same time as us with a worse team, Watford, Saints and a load of others (incl West Ham who used to be a similar sized club) and as it stands we have no future whatsoever and will never ever compete with them again. Can we even hope to compete with Fleetwood Burton and co? No, not really because they are well run, we are not. Until there is change we are trapped in decline. What that change might be or when, I’ve no idea. All I know is the club that’s has been in my blood for 50+ years is rotting away and I’m gutted about it.

Exactly Churchman. I appreciate Sheepshanks gets fingers pointed at him, but during that period of the club's footballing history the club had a vision, we had a plan and from memory the leaders (on and off the pitch) stuck to it and more importantly believed in it and we ALL bought in to it. With ME, he changes like the weather. I just get the impression it's more a foundation built on sand in the 'hope' something will happen rather than driving something forwards because you wholeheartedly believe it will reap the dividends. We lack direction and have done for some time and that comes from the very top!

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:43 - Apr 21 with 3168 viewsChurchman

Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 09:23 - Apr 21 by christiand

Exactly Churchman. I appreciate Sheepshanks gets fingers pointed at him, but during that period of the club's footballing history the club had a vision, we had a plan and from memory the leaders (on and off the pitch) stuck to it and more importantly believed in it and we ALL bought in to it. With ME, he changes like the weather. I just get the impression it's more a foundation built on sand in the 'hope' something will happen rather than driving something forwards because you wholeheartedly believe it will reap the dividends. We lack direction and have done for some time and that comes from the very top!

Sheepshanks did have purpose and drive running the club. The fact that he was incompetent in wrecking it then selling it to Evans is a different issue. I know Sheepshanks truly cared about the club and his supporters. That is not the feeling I get from Evans. Getting the most £££ for the least, making a quick £££, the portfolio: they’re the kind of thinks I see in him. I maybe wrong. It’s just that under him the clubs identity has gone.
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 10:39 - Apr 21 with 3134 viewsNo9

The problem goes back way before this season from what I have seen.
Although there are allegations that MM wasn't funded, he never made that point and to prove it brought in a load of players which pushed the wage bill up - a bit of quantity over quality?
There is the question of what so many players had long term injuries and why when they left ITFC (McGoldrick an example) they no longer seemed to sustain injuries.
As Mick Mills has said several times Town's midfield has not been very god for many seasons & MM did nothing to improve it relying on goofball even tho' the player to make that work (Murphy) was sold.

Something that should not be ignored is the comment made by P Hurst and endorsed by P Lambert, that ther are deep problems at PR /ITFC that have to be resolved. From what we read PH tried and failed PL says his mission is to make the necessary changes. Mr E is repotedly at ITFC much more - no doubt trying to save his investment- his problem is that he employed low quality team management not that he didn't fund them
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 10:43 - Apr 21 with 3126 viewsrgp1

Statistically it's also worth remembering that Garner, Mcgoldrick, Celina and Waghorn have already scored 33 goals between them, the way our team was dismantled almost borders on criminal negligence!
Chronic lack of funding seriously letting us down on 11:20 - Apr 21 with 3085 viewsBogblue

And do we have the right staff in the treatment room?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024