Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age 07:51 - Apr 21 with 4266 viewsDubtractor

The view being that they are past it because they are 33. This is a bit odd to me, as 33 is not exactly over the hill for the positions they play in.

For example, Mowbray was much older when we went up in 2000, and Venus was 33 and played 2 seasons in the premier league.

I'll take some convincing that a DM and CB can't perform in league one aged 33.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:01 - Apr 21 with 3884 viewsTractorWood

So arbitrary references to 20 years ago are enough to convince you? What about Gary Neville who at the start of his last season realised he just couldn't keep up anymore. The way Skuse got turned at Preston was shades of the same. What about Douglas getting released by Brentford for the same reason? Again, just arbitrary references. Best to say what you see and both look obviously done.

Tough to watch and both been great servants. I think Chambers would be more help on the coaching staff. His attitude and professionalism are what we need and that doesn't have to involve playing.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2019 8:04]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:23 - Apr 21 with 3829 viewstextbackup

I’ve been of the opinion that they are important for the development of the kids, however on the face of it, defensively we have been sht for a few years, midfield overran for a few years.... 2 players key in those roles are those you mention.

I’m just not too sure anymore, watching those Preston goals was painful

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:56 - Apr 21 with 3769 viewschristiand

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:23 - Apr 21 by textbackup

I’ve been of the opinion that they are important for the development of the kids, however on the face of it, defensively we have been sht for a few years, midfield overran for a few years.... 2 players key in those roles are those you mention.

A big 'IF' I know, but there is a huge chasm of an opportunity for Huws and Adeyemi in our midfield, if they want to grab it. If we could get them both fit and firing they'd be huge additions in League One. Huws is still contracted to us, but Adeyemi is a completely different story. I'd invite Adeyemi back for pre-season, which some on here have suggested, see how things develop. Both players need to be playing to prove their worth and prove to themselves they can still do it. Who knows whether that's long term with us or looking to get a move to another club? I'm not sure many clubs would want to take a risk on either of them currently, so this might be their best opportunity, which could work in our favour as beggars can't be choosers?
[Post edited 21 Apr 2019 9:09]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:01 - Apr 21 with 3744 viewsRegencyBlue

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:23 - Apr 21 by textbackup

To be fair they haven’t exactly had quality around them.

Having said that Chambers has had a very poor season from what I’ve seen.

Skuse was rushed back too soon from injury and hasn’t performed well at all.

I think both have a part to play next season but I wouldn’t be building a team around them.
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:12 - Apr 21 with 3699 viewsOsborneOneNil

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:01 - Apr 21 by TractorWood

So arbitrary references to 20 years ago are enough to convince you? What about Gary Neville who at the start of his last season realised he just couldn't keep up anymore. The way Skuse got turned at Preston was shades of the same. What about Douglas getting released by Brentford for the same reason? Again, just arbitrary references. Best to say what you see and both look obviously done.

Tough to watch and both been great servants. I think Chambers would be more help on the coaching staff. His attitude and professionalism are what we need and that doesn't have to involve playing.

Couldn’t agree more. Both are massively on the decline and should be cover, no more.

Dubs, 33 isn’t an issue, form is.
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:26 - Apr 21 with 3654 viewsGuthrum

Neville was 36 and playing in the Prem. Douglas was in the Championship.

We're talking about League One, not noted for being faster and more athletic than the divisions above. Indeed, Chambers' physicality and toughness could be a real advantage.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:29 - Apr 21 with 3638 viewsPendejo

I feel that Chambers' decline massively influenced the relegation, which is a real shame as I see him as "one of us"
To clarify, not an Ipswich fan as such but a fan who made the grade as a footballer, someone who has a connection with the fans - as demonstrated by way of the sadly [last season] under used fist pump. Excellent rapport with the fans, and, seemingly someone who will stay in the area beyond his career.

The other aspect is bodily wear & tear is more of an issue if they are having to work harder to cover the inexperience, incompetence or simple insouciance of others.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 10:23 - Apr 21 with 3548 viewsNo9

33 isn't too old for a Centre half but it is for a RB or someone having to cover two positions as the Skipper has had to. He has been a driving force for the team but sings are he is struggling.

33 is too old for a good midfielder who has to support the attack + cover for FB's goign forward.
CS hasn't looked the part for several seasons now & it is easy to see what he was marmite at the titties

GK's can go on for a while as long as they have a defence they can rely on for consistency. BB has had many problems this season which has coincided with the midfield defence being as strong as tissue and a defence that has often been absent.
Login to get fewer ads

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 11:52 - Apr 21 with 3473 viewsBluefish

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:26 - Apr 21 by Guthrum

We're talking about League One, not noted for being faster and more athletic than the divisions above. Indeed, Chambers' physicality and toughness could be a real advantage.

You are going to need to explain to these lot that 36 is a bigger number than 33

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 12:03 - Apr 21 with 3458 viewsPJH

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 11:52 - Apr 21 by Bluefish

You are going to need to explain to these lot that 36 is a bigger number than 33

Bit like 24 being a bigger number than 12.
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:00 - Apr 21 with 3378 viewstextbackup

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:26 - Apr 21 by Guthrum

I beg that people don’t think L1 is just a punch up on the pitch for 90mins, young lads with pace worry me against LC and CS

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:06 - Apr 21 with 3365 viewsBlueBadger

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 12:03 - Apr 21 by PJH

Bit like 24 being a bigger number than 12.

Yes, but look how many teams we're propping up.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:26 - Apr 21 with 3318 viewsreusersfreekicks

Bit out there i know but why not see how they get on in the first few games and take it from there. As has been said Skuse was playing well until his injury, so a rest may see him come back. Chambers has not been good enough this season but in a lower std with an overall improved team may well be ok next season. Balance people...
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:29 - Apr 21 with 3313 viewsJETPower

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 11:52 - Apr 21 by Bluefish

never mind that, someone's going to have to explain to me 'marmite at the titties'...
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:30 - Apr 21 with 3314 viewsLovelyGeorge

Mowbray had a footballing brain to cover up for his lack of pace, as did Venus.

Chambers does not. Pace becomes more of an asset in League One - look at the success Kaiden Jackson had. Chambers will be a liability as he has been this season. Undoubtedly a good bloke, full of effort and wants the best for the club, but he will be far better used off the pitch rather than on it.

The idea that somehow this squad will suddenly become world beaters in League One is baffling. Will be mid table at best. Lambert needs to start getting results on the pitch, not just succeeding will his impressive PR off it.

Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:41 - Apr 21 with 3292 viewsBlueBadger

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:30 - Apr 21 by LovelyGeorge

Mowbray had a footballing brain to cover up for his lack of pace, as did Venus.

Chambers does not. Pace becomes more of an asset in League One - look at the success Kaiden Jackson had. Chambers will be a liability as he has been this season. Undoubtedly a good bloke, full of effort and wants the best for the club, but he will be far better used off the pitch rather than on it.

The idea that somehow this squad will suddenly become world beaters in League One is baffling. Will be mid table at best. Lambert needs to start getting results on the pitch, not just succeeding will his impressive PR off it.

Point of order: Kayden Jackson has never scored a goal in League One.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayden_Jackson#Career_statistics

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:43 - Apr 21 with 3285 viewsclive_baker

Yeah it would be a shame to see Skuse lose all that pace he’s got...

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:43 - Apr 21 with 3284 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:12 - Apr 21 by OsborneOneNil

Couldn’t agree more. Both are massively on the decline and should be cover, no more.

Exactly the form is an issue.

Some people have been desperate for any kind of excuses for Chambers and Skuse. Just because they say nice things in the interviews that people want to hear and they've been at the club for a while.

'Their experience will be vital for young players next season'. First, their experience WAS NOT vital at all this season for the lower leagues' players we had signed last summer so why assuming it will be vital next season for the younger ones? Second, we need an experience that DOES INFLUENCE games in a positive way. And third, any League One player with a bit of pace will go past them easily.

We have had a few decent games last February/March where Skuse was either missing or playing a little part. And no coincidence the performances were much better.

As you say they both should be a cover at best.
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:46 - Apr 21 with 3276 viewsLovelyGeorge

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:41 - Apr 21 by BlueBadger

Point of order: Kayden Jackson has never scored a goal in League One.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayden_Jackson#Career_statistics

Sorry. Stand corrected! But my point is that pace becomes just as much, if not more of an asset in the lower leagues

Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 14:35 - Apr 21 with 3205 viewsBluefish

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 13:43 - Apr 21 by Mach_foreignBlue

Exactly the form is an issue.

Some people have been desperate for any kind of excuses for Chambers and Skuse. Just because they say nice things in the interviews that people want to hear and they've been at the club for a while.

'Their experience will be vital for young players next season'. First, their experience WAS NOT vital at all this season for the lower leagues' players we had signed last summer so why assuming it will be vital next season for the younger ones? Second, we need an experience that DOES INFLUENCE games in a positive way. And third, any League One player with a bit of pace will go past them easily.

We have had a few decent games last February/March where Skuse was either missing or playing a little part. And no coincidence the performances were much better.

As you say they both should be a cover at best.

Don't panic mate Lambert has lined up Elder and Dawkins to replace them

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 15:55 - Apr 21 with 3146 viewsMrTown

They’re past it because they aren’t good enough.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 19:34 - Apr 21 with 3005 viewsbraveblue

Mowbray and Venus were good players.
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 19:34 - Apr 21 with 3005 viewsRadlett_blue

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 09:12 - Apr 21 by OsborneOneNil

They have both had poor seasons and they, along with Bart, should have been the experienced spine from which Hurst's signings could learn. Skuse seemed incapable of playing further forward, which was what Hurst wanted him to do in his favoured 4-1-4-1 formation. Lambert seems to want to play 4-3-3 and I'm not sure an ageing Skuse fits into that. Chambers is supposed to be the experienced head who guides Nsiala; maybe, but Woolfenden might have something to say about that.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 23:09 - Apr 21 with 2872 viewsBlue_Moses

You're not comparing Mowbray to Chambers are you?
Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 08:05 - Apr 22 with 2770 viewsDubtractor

Lots of comments about Chambers and Skuse age on 23:09 - Apr 21 by Blue_Moses

You're not comparing Mowbray to Chambers are you?

No, no I'm not.

Also, for the view that Mogga and Venus are not relevant as too long ago, what about Delaney and McAuley (players a lot were happy to see leave), who were still playing in the premier league last season aged 36 and 38?

I stick by my point, 33 is no problem for positions that do not rely on pace. If they are not good enough then so be it, but I don't think its about age, more about form - and in fairness if you are part of a team playing poorly most weeks then it is difficult to shine!
[Post edited 22 Apr 2019 8:07]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024