Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League 1 13:20 - Apr 22 with 6732 viewsHerbivore

Anyone else watching Pompey v Coventry? The standard looks pretty whack, and these are two of the better sides. The tempo is relatively high but nobody seems able to actually play football.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

League 1 on 13:22 - Apr 22 with 5948 viewsKieran_Knows

I thought Coventry looked okay, but Portsmouth looked nothing special considering the position they’re in.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

League 1 on 13:23 - Apr 22 with 5937 viewsParisBlue

we should fit in well then (apart from the bit about high tempo)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

League 1 on 13:24 - Apr 22 with 5937 viewsHerbivore

League 1 on 13:22 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

I thought Coventry looked okay, but Portsmouth looked nothing special considering the position they’re in.

Coventry have pace on the break, they've been the better side. I don't see a lot to fear though if we can bolster our squad in certain areas.

League 1 on 13:29 - Apr 22 with 5892 viewsm14_blue

The standard really isn't great.

Everyone is trying so hard not to be accused of arrogance that we've built League 1 up into something it isn't at all. There is a huge gulf between the Championship and League 1 and recent history shows that most relegated teams come straight back up or at least come close.

It won't be a cakewalk and we won't win every game but there really isn't anything to fear, particularly if Sunderland come up this season.
League 1 on 13:35 - Apr 22 with 5831 viewschristiand

Coventry have looked very decent, passing the ball around confidently and the front lads are causing Pompey problems. Like the look of their captain Kelly in midfield. Got to say I've been impressed with the Sky Blues, not so much Pompey. Second half to come though!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

League 1 on 13:35 - Apr 22 with 5828 viewstextbackup

League 1 on 13:24 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Coventry have pace on the break, they've been the better side. I don't see a lot to fear though if we can bolster our squad in certain areas.

pace on the break vs our slow defence - think I see an issue here

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

League 1 on 13:38 - Apr 22 with 5801 viewsHerbivore

League 1 on 13:29 - Apr 22 by m14_blue

Everyone is trying so hard not to be accused of arrogance that we've built League 1 up into something it isn't at all. There is a huge gulf between the Championship and League 1 and recent history shows that most relegated teams come straight back up or at least come close.

It won't be a cakewalk and we won't win every game but there really isn't anything to fear, particularly if Sunderland come up this season.

Agree completely.

League 1 on 13:49 - Apr 22 with 5716 viewsKieran_Knows

It fills me with great confidence knowing the Rotherham side that got relegated a couple of years ago (and amazingly it was probably worse than what our squad is now), came straight back up the following season (albeit through the play offs).

Login to get fewer ads

League 1 on 14:05 - Apr 22 with 5636 viewsBlueBadger

League 1 on 13:49 - Apr 22 by Kieran_Knows

It fills me with great confidence knowing the Rotherham side that got relegated a couple of years ago (and amazingly it was probably worse than what our squad is now), came straight back up the following season (albeit through the play offs).

Would this be the same Rotherham squad that's also getting relegated with us? If it is, I'm not sure that it's the encouragement you think it is.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

League 1 on 14:07 - Apr 22 with 5629 viewsKieran_Knows

League 1 on 14:05 - Apr 22 by BlueBadger

Would this be the same Rotherham squad that's also getting relegated with us? If it is, I'm not sure that it's the encouragement you think it is.

Just meant more in terms that they came straight back up with what was a poor squad. Obviously them not recruiting enough/or better players last summer is the reason why they’re going down again, something which I’d like to think Town would do better, should we come back up.

League 1 on 14:42 - Apr 22 with 5480 viewsHerbivore

On a side note, Pitman really needs to accept that he's losing his hair.

League 1 on 15:09 - Apr 22 with 5375 viewsbournemouthblue

League 1 on 13:24 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

The fact Pitman is a threat at that level is encouraging?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

League 1 on 15:43 - Apr 22 with 5317 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"if Sunderland come up this season".

Not sure how that posted itself!

If they do not go up, it will be because Barnsley/Portsmouth are better.

We have struggled against Accrington and Lincoln and plenty of others in recent seasons. We need to sort a lot out before we are ready for that league.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2019 15:45]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

League 1 on 15:52 - Apr 22 with 5253 viewsbournemouthblue

League 1 on 15:43 - Apr 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

"if Sunderland come up this season".

Not sure how that posted itself!

If they do not go up, it will be because Barnsley/Portsmouth are better.

We have struggled against Accrington and Lincoln and plenty of others in recent seasons. We need to sort a lot out before we are ready for that league.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2019 15:45]

History shows that it is far from unbridgeable

Some truly hopeless sides from the Championship have managed to turn it around relatively quickly

Whether we are run well enough to achieve that is another matter

League 1 on 15:59 - Apr 22 with 5212 viewsNthsuffolkblue

League 1 on 15:52 - Apr 22 by bournemouthblue

History shows that it is far from unbridgeable

Some truly hopeless sides from the Championship have managed to turn it around relatively quickly

Whether we are run well enough to achieve that is another matter

Indeed.

We need to bridge the gap between ourselves and Bolton first of all.

I wonder how many would expect Rotherham/Millwall/Wigan and Bolton to walk League 1 next season. We are not even competing with them in terms of league position at the moment. I do hope Lambert sorts us out but I am not taking it for granted at all.

League 1 on 16:01 - Apr 22 with 5199 viewsbournemouthblue

League 1 on 15:59 - Apr 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed.

I wonder how many would expect Rotherham/Millwall/Wigan and Bolton to walk League 1 next season. We are not even competing with them in terms of league position at the moment. I do hope Lambert sorts us out but I am not taking it for granted at all.

I don't think anyone is, it all hinges on the senior players we end up with next season

We need a very good transfer window where we can secure some senior players of Championship quality

League 1 on 16:13 - Apr 22 with 5146 viewsHerbivore

League 1 on 15:59 - Apr 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed.

Since Lambert joined we have been marginally better than Bolton.

League 1 on 16:16 - Apr 22 with 5134 viewsNthsuffolkblue

League 1 on 16:13 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Since Lambert joined we have been marginally better than Bolton.

and that is what concerns me. The mess they are in and we are hardly any better.

League 1 on 16:27 - Apr 22 with 5091 viewsHerbivore

League 1 on 16:16 - Apr 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

and that is what concerns me. The mess they are in and we are hardly any better.

Fair dos, but your original post said we needed to bridge the gap to Bolton and we've already done that. Not that that's anything to brag about.

League 1 on 16:32 - Apr 22 with 5054 viewsm14_blue

League 1 on 14:05 - Apr 22 by BlueBadger

I think you’re missing the point.

No one’s saying they’re a good championship team, that’s the whole point.
League 1 on 17:00 - Apr 22 with 4929 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

League 1 on 13:38 - Apr 22 by Herbivore

Agree completely.

Yeah we will be fine. Look at Burton they won ten games in Championship last year and are walking it this year....
League 1 on 17:01 - Apr 22 with 4911 viewsNthsuffolkblue

League 1 on 17:00 - Apr 22 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yeah we will be fine. Look at Burton they won ten games in Championship last year and are walking it this year....

Should have kept Benty shouldn't they?

League 1 on 17:04 - Apr 22 with 4891 viewsHerbivore

Burton are a tiny club who are probably still above their natural level in League 1. All three relegated sides came back last season and two of them are right in the hunt for automatic promotion this season too.

League 1 on 17:06 - Apr 22 with 4882 viewsm14_blue

Yeah because Burton are pretty much the same as us aren’t they, similar budget etc....

You’re a miserable bastard at the moment
League 1 on 17:08 - Apr 22 with 4876 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

League 1 on 17:06 - Apr 22 by m14_blue

Yeah because Burton are pretty much the same as us aren’t they, similar budget etc....

You’re a miserable bastard at the moment

Mate have you heard the table doesn't lie thing? It's true. We are not even in relegation fight. Burton are a good example of a squad that won twice as many games as us and then finished mid table I believe with the same kind of squad. These I am afraid are the facts at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024