Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I understand many here know little of League One 10:28 - Apr 23 with 8140 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

That is fair enough. No reason why you should. But this amount of fear over what it holds is completely unfounded.

In 2016/17 Rotherham finished 24th in the Championship, like we will. Their record after Christmas was W2, D4, L16. Overall, it was W5, D8, L33, Pts 23. They were even worse than we are, they just happened to win an extra game than we are likely going to.

Since Christmas we are W2 D7 L11. The same wins as Rotherham post Christmas that year, almost double the draws and less defeats. So we are actually better than they were after Christmas (leading into the new season) and over the course of the whole season.

Last season Rotherham won the playoffs, after finishing 4th. They won 24 of their 46 games. They had a run of 14 games unbeaten that included 7 straight wins.

They were promoted with Wigan and Blackburn (who both got close to 100 points!). Both those teams were relegated with them the season before after also being terrible.

Guess how many games Wigan and Blackburn won, their unbeaten runs and their winning runs? Very similar.

This is not coming down from the Premier League into the Championship where half the clubs there have had parachute payments are as cash and asset rich as you.

This is going down into a league where a large number of relegated teams are immediately streets ahead of most of the division, a lot bounce straight back and a large number finish in the Top 6 or Top 8 such is the gap.

We are going to have a squad way beyond 3/4 of the division, one of the largest attendances each week and we will be one of a handful of clubs that players at the others would dream of playing for.

I appreciate we look terrible at the moment and that people are worried that the likes of Forest, Sheffield United and a few others haven't just bounced back. That was when the gap wasn't as big between the divisions as it is now. Any club that's been in the Championship now and goes down is significantly stronger than the other League One sides.

But Rotherham went from worse than we are this season to a side that won over half their games and went three months unbeaten!

Sunderland were utterly pathetic last year. They have lost TWO matches out of 44 this season!

Some grasp of the fact that League One can be tricky, but often isn't for clubs much smaller than us is needed!

We may not get 100 points, we may not get promoted, but statistically it is incredibly likely that we will be right up there and not languishing in the lower half.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 10:34]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

I understand many here know little of League One on 17:17 - Apr 23 with 1449 viewshorsehollerer

Very well said.

Also, it is not true that you cannot play attractive, expansive football in the lower leagues, especially at home on a nice surface like PR. Anyone who has seen Luton play over the past couple of seasons will have seen this. The reason it doesn't often happen is because most teams simply don't have the players to do it. If we are up for the physical battle from the start of each game, we will earn the right to play our football.

Like most others, I think it will be tough, and I don't know anyone who thinks we will walk it. I do think we'll have enough to be around the playoffs, though.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

I understand many here know little of League One on 18:20 - Apr 23 with 1399 viewsmuccletonjoe

I don't think we will be anywhere near the bottom of the league next season. But equally , I don't see us troubling the top 6 either, at least not without a change of manager.
I understand many here know little of League One on 19:01 - Apr 23 with 1371 viewsSuperblue95

I understand many here know little of League One on 14:01 - Apr 23 by peterleeblue

Sunderland however are struggling to go up basically IMHO for being Sunderland.
They have been affected by too many draws in too many high profile (for the opposition games) mots notably at the SOL. I do hope Ipswich are not perceived in the same light.

The cheating, time wasting and down right Sh!thousery in that league is a major problem for bigger clubs.

If you think teams and players next season will think of us in the same way they’ve thought of Sunderland this season I’d say you’re slightly deluded.

Sunderland had been playing in the prem just over 12 months before hand after being there for years, have a massive stadium and splashed a bit of cash too.

Nobody outside of Suffolk has thought town have been a big club or a club to be feared for years and they aren’t going to start now. The fact any lower league team thought we were a sh1t draw in the cups is proof of that

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

I understand many here know little of League One on 19:50 - Apr 23 with 1340 viewstractorboy1978

I understand many here know little of League One on 19:01 - Apr 23 by Superblue95

If you think teams and players next season will think of us in the same way they’ve thought of Sunderland this season I’d say you’re slightly deluded.

Sunderland had been playing in the prem just over 12 months before hand after being there for years, have a massive stadium and splashed a bit of cash too.

Nobody outside of Suffolk has thought town have been a big club or a club to be feared for years and they aren’t going to start now. The fact any lower league team thought we were a sh1t draw in the cups is proof of that

If Sunderland come up we will be the biggest club in that division and I'd imagine favourites for promotion. So the team to beat from the off. A lot of the opposition players will turn up and be looking forward to playing at Portman Road. This is why it is vital to get off to a quick start - PR needs to become a difficult place to come and play.

I do worry about next season as I think it'll be harder than people imagine. I think we lack fight, belief and bottle and whilst we might have more ability than other teams we still need to out battle them. I also wouldn't fancy us to score against anyone who plays two solid banks of 4 at the moment. We need to do the right summer business.
I understand many here know little of League One on 19:59 - Apr 23 with 1330 viewsPJH

I understand many here know little of League One on 19:50 - Apr 23 by tractorboy1978

If Sunderland come up we will be the biggest club in that division and I'd imagine favourites for promotion. So the team to beat from the off. A lot of the opposition players will turn up and be looking forward to playing at Portman Road. This is why it is vital to get off to a quick start - PR needs to become a difficult place to come and play.

I do worry about next season as I think it'll be harder than people imagine. I think we lack fight, belief and bottle and whilst we might have more ability than other teams we still need to out battle them. I also wouldn't fancy us to score against anyone who plays two solid banks of 4 at the moment. We need to do the right summer business.

Few if any teams in League One are likely to try to take us on at football so the younger members of the squad will have to learn very quickly how to battle.
That is one obvious reason why there has to be a fair amount of experience in the squad.

I very much agree with your first paragraph.
I understand many here know little of League One on 20:10 - Apr 23 with 1315 viewstractorboy1978

I understand many here know little of League One on 13:09 - Apr 23 by J2BLUE

Our record is against them in the cup, not the league. You really can't compare one off cup games wit a season against that standard of opposition.

We do concede plenty and we do rarely score but we should remember that some of the players who aren't up to standard in this league were stars in league one. Nolan and Nsiala were widely admired. Harrison scored 14 goals for Bristol Rovers. Jackson was on fire in league two and could be a different proposition in league one. Hopefully if we are competing for automatic promotion we'll have a fit Freddie Sears to come back for the run in. Judge is also a massive addition.

People are worrying that we're going to be a team of youngsters who will get bullied. It seems likely to me that we'll sign some experienced players to have a better blend in the squad.

I'm not saying we'll win the league or get promoted but its nowhere near as bad as people make out. Judging by some of the hysteria anyone would think league one is a step up rather than a big step down.

But what makes you think it is going to be any easier in the league than it was in the cup? Accrington sit 18th and they out battled us and ultimately beat us. Teams aren't going to suddenly roll over against us because it is the league. Every week will be a fight, and we will be (on paper) the team/one of the teams to beat.

If we aren't top 6 come October then people will start getting irritable again. We really do need to start like a train next season.
I understand many here know little of League One on 20:13 - Apr 23 with 1308 viewsJ2BLUE

I understand many here know little of League One on 20:10 - Apr 23 by tractorboy1978

But what makes you think it is going to be any easier in the league than it was in the cup? Accrington sit 18th and they out battled us and ultimately beat us. Teams aren't going to suddenly roll over against us because it is the league. Every week will be a fight, and we will be (on paper) the team/one of the teams to beat.

If we aren't top 6 come October then people will start getting irritable again. We really do need to start like a train next season.

Everyone knows we are crap in the cup and pretty much a golden ticket to any lower league side. I just think in the league over a season we will be fine. If we played Accrington 46 times I think we would do quite well. Same with Exeter and all the other sides who have beaten us.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I understand many here know little of League One on 20:21 - Apr 23 with 1299 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hope you’re right. Sunderland changed managers and had a refresh. What did Rotherham do? We look like we’re going into it with one of our worse managers ever (results-wise, which tends to be the benchmark) and warnings there’s no/little money to spend. Not that money is the answer if it’s just wasted. I hope you’re right, I really do. Currently I can only see us continuing to go one way under Evans, but maybe the drop is just what is needed to allow us to be competitive.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

I understand many here know little of League One on 20:26 - Apr 23 with 1287 viewstractorboy1978

I understand many here know little of League One on 20:13 - Apr 23 by J2BLUE

Everyone knows we are crap in the cup and pretty much a golden ticket to any lower league side. I just think in the league over a season we will be fine. If we played Accrington 46 times I think we would do quite well. Same with Exeter and all the other sides who have beaten us.

I think we will be fine against sides that want to play football against us but I will be surprised if many come to PR and do anything other than set up to be tight and play on the counter attack/play for set pieces. Most games will be gritty, tight and a proper battle. I'm not downbeat about next season by any means but if the metric for success is promotion then IMO it is going to be very difficult unless we sign the right players.

We could also have 55-60 odd games to contend with next season cup progress depending which is potentially a big ask.
I understand many here know little of League One on 08:28 - Apr 24 with 1202 viewsBackToRussia

I understand many here know little of League One on 18:20 - Apr 23 by muccletonjoe

I don't think we will be anywhere near the bottom of the league next season. But equally , I don't see us troubling the top 6 either, at least not without a change of manager.

We're a team who's forgot how to win with a manager who's forgot too. Doesn't bode well.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

I understand many here know little of League One on 11:43 - Apr 24 with 1135 viewsNo9

& some us know nothing about league one
I understand many here know little of League One on 12:09 - Apr 24 with 1107 viewsKieran_Knows

I understand many here know little of League One on 20:21 - Apr 23 by Swansea_Blue

Hope you’re right. Sunderland changed managers and had a refresh. What did Rotherham do? We look like we’re going into it with one of our worse managers ever (results-wise, which tends to be the benchmark) and warnings there’s no/little money to spend. Not that money is the answer if it’s just wasted. I hope you’re right, I really do. Currently I can only see us continuing to go one way under Evans, but maybe the drop is just what is needed to allow us to be competitive.

Rotherham went down with Paul Warne (think he was only caretaker at the time - although had been caretaker manager since January), and then was appointed permanently when the season finished.. They came back up with him in charge as well.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024