Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Successes and flops of the season? 16:23 - Apr 23 with 4701 viewsBluefish

Successes have to be the return of Bish, Downes pushing on a bit more, Lankester breaking through and possibly the loans of Judge and Keane

Flops. Jackson and Edwards, both look so far out of their depth that you wonder how they play above conference level. Quaner turning up with an apparent pedigree and being an absolute cart horse. His touch to try and control a throw in yesterday came off his knees and landed 10 yards away.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:25 - Apr 23 with 3268 viewsKieran_Knows

Successes;
Lankester
Judge
Bishop

Flops;
Jackson - £1.6m, let that sink in
Quaner
Dawkins - literally, WTF?
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 16:26]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:27 - Apr 23 with 3248 viewsBluefish

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:25 - Apr 23 by Kieran_Knows

Successes;
Lankester
Judge
Bishop

Flops;
Jackson - £1.6m, let that sink in
Quaner
Dawkins - literally, WTF?
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 16:26]

I'm not sure Donacien is as bad as it seems really, it was a fiasco but he did ok generally when he played and was more a victim of the crazy loan situation and then Paul Lambert clearly carrying some sort of personal grudge. He has gone straight back into a seemingly competitive Accrington side.

Edwards is not a footballer

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:28 - Apr 23 with 3249 viewsitfcjoe

Think that is harsh on Edwards and a little harsh on Jackson even too.

Edwards has struggled at times but has contributed enough on his first season at this level.

Jackson has shown bits but has played in a role that clearly doesn't suit him.

Think both will be fine in L1, and Edwards likely to be a key player.

The reality is none of our signings have actually been that bad when you look at their career histories and the fact they are stepping up - that shows how disastrous the summers business was. And how obviously bad it was, even at the time.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:28 - Apr 23 with 3232 viewsKieran_Knows

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:27 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

I'm not sure Donacien is as bad as it seems really, it was a fiasco but he did ok generally when he played and was more a victim of the crazy loan situation and then Paul Lambert clearly carrying some sort of personal grudge. He has gone straight back into a seemingly competitive Accrington side.

Indeed, was a bit harsh on Donacien actually - now edited for Dawkins instead!

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:29 - Apr 23 with 3229 viewschicoazul

Feel like it's a bit unfair to call Edwards a flop? Joint-top scorer.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:30 - Apr 23 with 3221 viewsitfcjoe

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:27 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

Accrington are terrible, I watched them the other day and they are God awful. their form since Xmas illustrates that too - they are a L2 side in reality.

Donacien, as he always seems to, looks decent enough to me though, was clearly fouled for a pen too

I'm joint 13th highest.... on 16:32 - Apr 23 with 3202 viewsBloots

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:29 - Apr 23 by chicoazul

....goalscorer for ITFC this year.

(so are you)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:32 - Apr 23 with 3201 viewsPJH

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:29 - Apr 23 by chicoazul

Certainly wouldn't call him a success.

Maybe not a complete flop but very very ordinary although admittedly some of Hurst's signings were not even that good.
Login to get fewer ads

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:32 - Apr 23 with 3201 viewsBluefish

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:28 - Apr 23 by itfcjoe

Think that is harsh on Edwards and a little harsh on Jackson even too.

Edwards has struggled at times but has contributed enough on his first season at this level.

Jackson has shown bits but has played in a role that clearly doesn't suit him.

Think both will be fine in L1, and Edwards likely to be a key player.

The reality is none of our signings have actually been that bad when you look at their career histories and the fact they are stepping up - that shows how disastrous the summers business was. And how obviously bad it was, even at the time.

I still put the biggest problem down to Hurst trying to sign the stand out players for teams in league 1 and 2 without factoring in that for their teams they have teams built around them. They were allowed to be the the loose cannon, Hurst put them all in the same team and expected tbebsame effect.

I don't see it in Edwards, games pass him by and he doesn't seem able to get into the team. He is like a budget Walcott, quick and will score a few goals but over 90 minutes he brings the side down. I have more hope for Jackson but his confidence seems shot and it is criminal that he didn't get a chance in a 2 with Harrison or Keane

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:36 - Apr 23 with 3170 viewsBluefish

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:32 - Apr 23 by PJH

Certainly wouldn't call him a success.

Maybe not a complete flop but very very ordinary although admittedly some of Hurst's signings were not even that good.

The outlay by Evans this season has probably been one of his biggest with fees by Hurst and wages by Lambert. It was obviously offset by selling Waggy and Webster etc but the signings have been shockingly poor, how many have come out with a better reputation or value? Both managers signed so many with an awful success rate

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:39 - Apr 23 with 3145 viewsReuser_is_God

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:36 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

The outlay by Evans this season has probably been one of his biggest with fees by Hurst and wages by Lambert. It was obviously offset by selling Waggy and Webster etc but the signings have been shockingly poor, how many have come out with a better reputation or value? Both managers signed so many with an awful success rate

Yes, our recruitment has been horrendous.

We've got to hope & pray that Hurst's lower league players will be better for this year whilst becoming key players next year at a lower level & Lambert needs to stop fcuking playing Judge out wide.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:39 - Apr 23 with 3146 viewsKieran_Knows

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:32 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

I still put the biggest problem down to Hurst trying to sign the stand out players for teams in league 1 and 2 without factoring in that for their teams they have teams built around them. They were allowed to be the the loose cannon, Hurst put them all in the same team and expected tbebsame effect.

I don't see it in Edwards, games pass him by and he doesn't seem able to get into the team. He is like a budget Walcott, quick and will score a few goals but over 90 minutes he brings the side down. I have more hope for Jackson but his confidence seems shot and it is criminal that he didn't get a chance in a 2 with Harrison or Keane

I mentioned this the other week, I wasn't against us signing lower league players, but you have to cherry pick the better 2/3 players from League 1 and 2. I think you only have to look at Brentford and the way they go about their business of signing lower league players to know that you can sign 2/3 and they step up to Championship football. Rico Henry and Romaine Sawyers were stand out players in League 1/Walsall when they signed them, as was Ollie Watkins in League 2 for Exeter when they signed him as well.

You could argue that if Town's/Hurst's business from lower leagues was Jackson (one of L2 top scorers), Nolan (renowned as one of the better midfielders in L1 last season) and Edwards (when fit, P'boro fans thought he was one of the best L1 midfielders), then it would've been a decent haul of lower league players. However, Hurst then added in Donacien, Harrison and Nsiala who were no more than just 'decent' players for their sides last season - which added up to be a recipe for disaster with that many lower league signings.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 16:40]

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:40 - Apr 23 with 3147 viewsitfcjoe

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:32 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

Hurst went away from what had brought him success - the tactics blog on here the other day was very good on that.

I watched nearly every pre season game at 1st team, U23 and U18 level and what we were trying to do was very clear and I think it would have brought more success had we stuck it out. It may not have been enough to keep us up though, clearly.

But he lost the plot, and kept chopping and changing until it was too late. He panicked and it cost us.

That defeat to Rotherham on the second game of the season turned out to be massive, it felt like it might at the time - 3 points there and I think it's a different season

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:41 - Apr 23 with 3126 viewshomer_123

Judge and Keane haven't been successes IMO.

For me Judge has flattered to deceive in that he's not really delivered anything or note - he looks decent (but given the squad he's in that's not hard).

Keane has looked OK, better than Quaner but again, not all that great.

Lankester has been the success for me. Bish has been a success in the fact that he's played and looks more solidy physically than before - like Judge, needs an end product.

Flops, where to start. Bart, for me, has been the biggest flop this season - nothing like the keeper we knew, a quite strange fall in terms of confidence and ability.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:43 - Apr 23 with 3114 viewsKieran_Knows

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:41 - Apr 23 by homer_123

Judge and Keane haven't been successes IMO.

For me Judge has flattered to deceive in that he's not really delivered anything or note - he looks decent (but given the squad he's in that's not hard).

Keane has looked OK, better than Quaner but again, not all that great.

Lankester has been the success for me. Bish has been a success in the fact that he's played and looks more solidy physically than before - like Judge, needs an end product.

Flops, where to start. Bart, for me, has been the biggest flop this season - nothing like the keeper we knew, a quite strange fall in terms of confidence and ability.

With regards to Bart, what was the keeper we knew? A decent shot stopper, but nothing more aside from that. Too scared to claim crosses, and his kicking is woeful (this has been in previous seasons as well). Something that Phil alluded to in the past as to why their wasn't really any 'serious' Prem interest in him, certainly not to be a No.1 at a Prem club anyway.

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:44 - Apr 23 with 3096 viewsBluefish

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:40 - Apr 23 by itfcjoe

Hurst went away from what had brought him success - the tactics blog on here the other day was very good on that.

I watched nearly every pre season game at 1st team, U23 and U18 level and what we were trying to do was very clear and I think it would have brought more success had we stuck it out. It may not have been enough to keep us up though, clearly.

But he lost the plot, and kept chopping and changing until it was too late. He panicked and it cost us.

That defeat to Rotherham on the second game of the season turned out to be massive, it felt like it might at the time - 3 points there and I think it's a different season

The interesting thing is that Hurst losing the plot (starting at home to norwich) was his downfall. He completely lost his way when before he seemed so sure in himself. Lambert is the opposite, his way isn't working but he refuses to accept it and adjust.

I actually think we would be further along if Hurst had stuck to his way but the desperation of changes were the end for him
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 16:45]

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:48 - Apr 23 with 3054 viewsGarv

Nonsense about Edwards. Lost his way after a positive start but has offered a goal threat in patches. Really needs confidence.

Jackson has disappointed.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:48 - Apr 23 with 3047 viewsReuser_is_God

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:44 - Apr 23 by Bluefish

The interesting thing is that Hurst losing the plot (starting at home to norwich) was his downfall. He completely lost his way when before he seemed so sure in himself. Lambert is the opposite, his way isn't working but he refuses to accept it and adjust.

I actually think we would be further along if Hurst had stuck to his way but the desperation of changes were the end for him
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 16:45]

I'd agree with that.

Evans out

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:50 - Apr 23 with 3032 viewsHerbivore

Any successes are incredibly partial. I'm struggling to think of any. Lankester looks a prospect but he played about 5 times. Bishop looks like he may finally be fit and has shown glimpses, that's about it.

Flops - everyone else essentially. I don't think many have been unmitigated disasters individually, most players have shown something of value at some point. However, collectively they've been utterly hopeless. Our two managers have not covered themselves in any glory in trying to get the best out of them.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:52 - Apr 23 with 3007 viewsReuser_is_God

Biggest flop: Marcus Evans

Evans out

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:53 - Apr 23 with 2999 viewsSomethingBlue

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:50 - Apr 23 by Herbivore

Any successes are incredibly partial. I'm struggling to think of any. Lankester looks a prospect but he played about 5 times. Bishop looks like he may finally be fit and has shown glimpses, that's about it.

Flops - everyone else essentially. I don't think many have been unmitigated disasters individually, most players have shown something of value at some point. However, collectively they've been utterly hopeless. Our two managers have not covered themselves in any glory in trying to get the best out of them.

I think at present injuries — both niggly and long-term — aren't helping anything but there is also the fact that we have so many players of similar level that it's been all too tempting to change them up if things haven't gone right for a couple of games on the trot. Looked like Lambert was dealing with that for a time and I still trust him to when we have a pared-down, fit squad — but it has to happen.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:55 - Apr 23 with 2972 viewsIllinoisblue

You can make a very strong case for Lambert being flop of the season. Aleez allez allez, etc.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:57 - Apr 23 with 2951 viewsHerbivore

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:53 - Apr 23 by SomethingBlue

I think at present injuries — both niggly and long-term — aren't helping anything but there is also the fact that we have so many players of similar level that it's been all too tempting to change them up if things haven't gone right for a couple of games on the trot. Looked like Lambert was dealing with that for a time and I still trust him to when we have a pared-down, fit squad — but it has to happen.

I'm on the fence with Lambert. I want him to be a success but I've seen very little on the pitch thus far to fill me with confidence that he will be. The injury situation hasn't helped admittedly but I'm not sure we've got any closer to establishing a clear system and identity over his 6 months here. If anything we've regressed slightly in that respect.

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:59 - Apr 23 with 2950 viewsSomethingBlue

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:57 - Apr 23 by Herbivore

I'm on the fence with Lambert. I want him to be a success but I've seen very little on the pitch thus far to fill me with confidence that he will be. The injury situation hasn't helped admittedly but I'm not sure we've got any closer to establishing a clear system and identity over his 6 months here. If anything we've regressed slightly in that respect.

I just want this season to end, to be honest, and don't plan to watch a single second of our final two games. Nothing to be gleaned. For me everything starts from zero in August.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Successes and flops of the season? on 17:02 - Apr 23 with 2912 viewsHerbivore

Successes and flops of the season? on 16:59 - Apr 23 by SomethingBlue

I just want this season to end, to be honest, and don't plan to watch a single second of our final two games. Nothing to be gleaned. For me everything starts from zero in August.

Yeah that's the approach I've taken. I've not used my season ticket for the last few games, just can't be arsed and finding it all too depressing. It's helped with keeping some perspective.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024