Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Youngsters Overrated? 18:31 - Apr 23 with 7938 viewsRRB

Am I the only one that thinks that we are hyping up our academy too much. Nobody other than Lankester and Downes has really done much to impress.

Thoughts?
Youngsters Overrated? on 09:57 - Apr 24 with 1549 viewsiamipswich

Totally agree. Lankester and Bishop are the only ones that I believe are as good as we hype them up to me. And even then, JL has only played a handful of games while TB has that fitness issues hanging over him. Although I think he's been used very well this season.

Downes I think has the potential to make it. Needs to do a bit more in games.

Nydam, not sure what he really brings. Some tenacity but limited footballing wise. Versatility useful.

Kenlock: Just doesn't seem to have improved enough and isn't too strong going forward or back which is a problem

Emmanuel: Always thought he had a bit more about him than Kenlock but still rough around the edges (fair enough he's only 22)

Dozzell: Undoubted talent but certainly not done enough to warrant the hype. Not an easy role to play but if you're one of England's brightest young talents one would expect more. Not lost hope yet, maybe a good season at a lower level will be just what he needs.
Ndaba: Sounds promising along with Woolfenden there could be potential there.

El Mizouni: Not seen enough so would be wrong to pass judgement but pleased a player of his ilk (based upon academy reviews) is with the 1st team

Poll: Who will return first?

Youngsters Overrated? on 10:35 - Apr 24 with 1516 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I've thought Dozzell is overrated for a little while now and looking back it's even stranger that he was used as a way to beat Hurst with a stick, but for me, he's far too lightweight and games frequently pass by him. Similar story for when everyone was calling for Emmanuel who wasn't rated by basically three town managers and a league one manager. Kenlock has shown signs of promise but makes too many errors at his age.

Lankester and Downes are great, though.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Youngsters Overrated? on 11:03 - Apr 24 with 1483 viewsitfcjoe

We aren't hyping up our academy too much, it's very good and producing some fine players which is being recognised both inside and outside the club.

Just need some players to get a decent run in the team, and most importantly show the durability required to do so.

None of the academy players that have played have regularly looked well out of place in the 1st team, they step in and out with relative ease but until they have 30-40 first team games under their belt it is hard to properly judge if they are a decent squad player or someone who will push on and be a star for the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Youngsters Overrated? on 11:26 - Apr 24 with 1442 viewsJohnWarksTash

Youngsters Overrated? on 11:03 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

We aren't hyping up our academy too much, it's very good and producing some fine players which is being recognised both inside and outside the club.

Just need some players to get a decent run in the team, and most importantly show the durability required to do so.

None of the academy players that have played have regularly looked well out of place in the 1st team, they step in and out with relative ease but until they have 30-40 first team games under their belt it is hard to properly judge if they are a decent squad player or someone who will push on and be a star for the club

Kenlock has played 50 games and people are still saying he's not experienced enough, needs a decent run, he's only a lad......he is the ultimate in being given far too much slack because he's home grown. Not good enough.
Youngsters Overrated? on 11:32 - Apr 24 with 1437 viewsitfcjoe

Youngsters Overrated? on 11:26 - Apr 24 by JohnWarksTash

Kenlock has played 50 games and people are still saying he's not experienced enough, needs a decent run, he's only a lad......he is the ultimate in being given far too much slack because he's home grown. Not good enough.

I'd say after his 50 games we now know what he is - and for me that is a squad player not a star.

He has hugely improved just having the last 12 or so games basically in a row though - but still doesn't quite cut it for me. But he was never a highly rated youngster and is a success of the academy having achieved what he already has. I

I'd have him as back up LB, but that's a good thing for the academy, we'd have only had to sign someone to fill that role otherwise

Youngsters Overrated? on 13:42 - Apr 24 with 1367 viewsJohnWarksTash

Youngsters Overrated? on 11:32 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

I'd say after his 50 games we now know what he is - and for me that is a squad player not a star.

He has hugely improved just having the last 12 or so games basically in a row though - but still doesn't quite cut it for me. But he was never a highly rated youngster and is a success of the academy having achieved what he already has. I

I'd have him as back up LB, but that's a good thing for the academy, we'd have only had to sign someone to fill that role otherwise

Agreed. A squad player at best. I suppose you could call it an academy success, like you say he was never spoken about in glowing terms during his younger days, but looks like he will still have a career in the game.
Youngsters Overrated? on 16:57 - Apr 24 with 1316 viewsPositivelyPortman

Isn’t this what Hurst said and got slapped down for saying?
Just because they’re “one of ours” doesn’t make em good players - especially for a brutal Div 1.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Youngsters Overrated? on 17:02 - Apr 24 with 1308 viewsMullet

This thread highlights one of the most depressing aspects of Town fans.

Love to wallow in this Ipswich way myth, but can't wait to dig out the kids. The fact they are good enough to be squad members is never enough, it's always about crucifying them for not being better than what we have/ruing them being sold too soon.

We're producing talent most clubs would kill for, we're just being run by a bloke who has blancmange in his ballbag.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Youngsters Overrated? on 17:24 - Apr 24 with 1276 viewsEireannach_gorm

Youngsters Overrated? on 21:20 - Apr 23 by footers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness
Youngsters Overrated? on 17:35 - Apr 24 with 1262 viewsblueislander

Youngsters Overrated? on 17:02 - Apr 24 by Mullet

Love to wallow in this Ipswich way myth, but can't wait to dig out the kids. The fact they are good enough to be squad members is never enough, it's always about crucifying them for not being better than what we have/ruing them being sold too soon.

We're producing talent most clubs would kill for, we're just being run by a bloke who has blancmange in his ballbag.

I prefer the “Ipswich way” to McCarthy “hoofball”, although I wouldn’t say I wallow in it. I am optimistic that the current group of academy graduates will form the basis of a successful team next season.
Youngsters Overrated? on 17:53 - Apr 24 with 1242 viewsMullet

Youngsters Overrated? on 17:35 - Apr 24 by blueislander

I prefer the “Ipswich way” to McCarthy “hoofball”, although I wouldn’t say I wallow in it. I am optimistic that the current group of academy graduates will form the basis of a successful team next season.

But as you proved the other day, it never existed any more than it did under Sir Bobby. You just like to make pops based on age and prejudice, and refused to mention how often you watched us under Mick.

Like when you praised PJH for echoing exactly what I said straight after.

The Ipswich way is just short hand for when we were good and you proved the point to perfection.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:01 - Apr 24 with 1233 viewsblueislander

Youngsters Overrated? on 17:53 - Apr 24 by Mullet

But as you proved the other day, it never existed any more than it did under Sir Bobby. You just like to make pops based on age and prejudice, and refused to mention how often you watched us under Mick.

Like when you praised PJH for echoing exactly what I said straight after.

The Ipswich way is just short hand for when we were good and you proved the point to perfection.

I admit that I watched Town far less under McCarthy than I did Robson, but I certainly saw enough to form an opinion that it was not very entertaining. The other day I described the way that Robson’s team played long ball football which PJH endorsed. I also admitted that I find it difficult to define “the Ipswich Way” , and that people will have their own idea of defining it.
Youngsters Overrated? on 19:14 - Apr 24 with 1214 viewsitfcjoe

Youngsters Overrated? on 17:02 - Apr 24 by Mullet

I don't think the Ipswich way is a myth - it is very difficult to achieve but we all know what it means.

It's basically the Robson era and the Burley era of being a good footballing side and having first team stars coming through the academy - obviously easier said than done.

But your point about the fact they are squad members as not being good enough, that's just mad. Youngsters may get an easier ride from many (rightly in my view), but because of that some are much harsher and critical - and show a huge lack of understanding of how development works. See Scowcroft, James or Richards, Matthew.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024