Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Lambert's priority list 22:32 - Apr 23 with 1708 viewsWestcountryblue

1) Address the spine of the team - I hate to refer back to Mick McCarthy, but what made him a decent manager at this level was his ability to create a strong spine throughout his squad...two experienced centre backs, two good midfielders, two decent strikers. If we compare our centre backs to the time we had Berra, Smith, Webster and Chambers as options, the gulf in experience and quality is staggering. Same with McGoldrick, Murphy, Pitman, Sears vs 18/19.

2) Trim the squad. We have far to much rubbish on the periphery of our squad...players that don't even have experience at this level. PL needs to trim the squad to 22/23 good players tops.

3) Make PR a fortress again. Few teams really fear coming to play at PR these days. We are a soft touch and probably have been since 2014/2015.

4) Improve the composition of the squad. We have too many youngsters and handful of veterans with questions marks starting to be raised about their ability. There is not much experience in between this. If some of our youngsters won't play, then loan them out. We need a couple of nasty brutes to compliment the likes of Bishop, Doz and Lankester otherwise we will be totally out muscled in League One.

5) Have 1-2 systems and one philosophy/identity of play and stick with it from preseason. We've chopped and changed systems all season and the players just look confused and unable to adapt and anything we've tried to implement with them.

6) Find a starting 11 and stick to it most weeks. The amount of changes we make each week is embarrassing and does nothing for continuity. One of the reasons we were so consistent under Burley, Royle and even for a time Magilton (at home) and MMC is that they very rarely changed their team. This also links to trimming the squad and having a core of quality, not make weights.

7) Recruit well, bring in good players with pedigree at that level so we can bounce back immediately. We can't be hanging around in that division, we don't belong there. 1-2 loans max !
[Post edited 23 Apr 2019 22:39]
Paul Lambert's priority list on 23:49 - Apr 23 with 1596 viewseddiespearitt03

The above list all sounds reasonable enough. What really needs doing can not be said on a forum as it may be too honest or too controversial for some.
No more waffling. The club needs an owner prepared to get tough and be hands on. Tough decisions need to be made if this club is to progress. No longer a soft touch.
Paul Lambert's priority list on 00:31 - Apr 24 with 1545 viewsGuthrum

There's a few problems there.

If we trim the squad, what happens when injuries strike four or five players at once (not by any means unknown)?

If we want to improve the experience and quality in the squad, but at the same time exclude loans, that leaves us with big transfer costs at a time we're losing income (reduced TV revenue, cheaper tickets). Especially if you want to cut down on youth involvement too. Even as shrewd a recruiter as McCarthy had a number of failures - which then sit around increasing the squad size.

We have been fairly consistent with selection for long stretches of the season. But injuries (again) and variable form - even outright lack of quality - mean things have to be changed.

With tactics and systems, we also need the personnel to run them effectively. Didn't matter what we used this season, lacking the strikers to put the ball in the net rendered everything pretty much useless.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paul Lambert's priority list on 10:08 - Apr 24 with 1181 viewsbontcho

1. Agree here, possibly a new keeper, a decision at CB, Judge centrally and a new centre forward hopefully will sort this. I'm not sure about Skuse but hopefully the rest will mean he comes back as the November Skuse.

2. This is inevitable. I'd expect Gerken, Spence, Knudsen, Adeyemi, Ward, Dawkins and all the loanees to leave then we'll sell/loan out a few depending on how overpaid they are (Bart? Dozzell? Donacien? Nsiala? Rowe? Roberts? Harrison?).

3. I'm sure he'd love to do this, statement of the obvious really.

4. I think they're looking to a younger squad but ican see us getting in a GK, RB and CF in this age bracket.

5. He's pretty much stuck with 4-3-3 but I hope we go more attacking in the lower league - the diamond or 4-2-3-1 perhaps. Judge needs to be central.

6. Comes with winning but this was my main criticism of Hurst - he said he had a plan but we never saw it. For instance during the international break I hoped he would nail it but the teams in the next two games were hugely different.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Paul Lambert's priority list on 11:28 - Apr 24 with 1096 viewsNo9

The spine of the team is the traditoinal way to stert off building a team, I think that still holds true however to make it work you need movers & shakers which is somethign Town have lacked for many years.
Not only has the midfield been non existent but there has been a serious lack of football ability which is why Town had the worst passing success rate in the league.
+ because of that they played too deep meaning the opposition could start attacks in Towns half of the pitch where are Town couldn't.
PL's attempt to play out from the back was methodology to overcome that, due to lack of talent it hasn't worked.
Paul Lambert's priority list on 12:19 - Apr 24 with 1023 viewstextbackup

if playing 1 up top is what he is going to go with then a main focal point up there is an absolute must.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024