Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Experienced Championship players for next season? 13:58 - Apr 24 with 1916 viewsActionMan

My concern is if we play too many U23's next season we may struggle to adapt in time and miss the boat on automatic promotion. I think the expectation should be that we win League One and the EFL Trophy next season but the noises coming out of the club that we're competitive does worry me. I'd rather we stripped much the squad, even if that mean we sold Bart and Dozzell for example and brought in the extra funds to put a number of experienced and relatively decent mid table Championship players (around 24-27 years old so we get a few seasons out of them) in there (like a Judge) with the youth products to help develop them going forward. I think if we're expecting 7 or 8 youngsters to all step up at the same time we'll end up with the same scenario we are in now.

We're already losing Knudsen , but i'd also look to release or sell Gerken, Jackson, Harrison, Roberts, Spence, Ward, Adeyemi, Huws, Dawkins, Donacien, and possibly Kenlock too to free up wage space and funds Or do people prefer retaining these players and going with younger players rather than signings as seems to be the case here? I just feel with Chambers, Collins, Scuse, Sears, Bishop and Judge we have the nucleus of a decent League One side, bring in a decent keeper, defender and a couple of forwards and develop the likes of Downes, Lankester, Emanuel, Edwards, Nolan out of what we have and we should be fine?
Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:00 - Apr 24 with 1895 viewschicoazul

lol

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:07 - Apr 24 with 1852 viewsSouperJim

If we were to go in that direction, I'm not sure how many experienced championship players we could a) attract in league one, b) afford to pay championship wages without c) upsetting the rest of the squad who have all just been on the wrong end of relegation clauses.

Also, if we offload 10+ players to bring in 3-4 more expensive options, how do we get a smaller squad through 46 league games, given our recent injury record?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Experienced Championship players for next season? (n/t) on 14:23 - Apr 24 with 1801 viewsAlanFB

[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 20:26]
Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:27 - Apr 24 with 1786 viewsStokieBlue

Why would you need experienced Championship players to play in League One?

Is it a system whereby you need experienced players from the division above to play for you regardless of the division?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:30 - Apr 24 with 1767 viewsTractorCam

Experienced Championship players for next season? (n/t) on 14:23 - Apr 24 by AlanFB

[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 20:26]

Would be on massive wages for league 1!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:31 - Apr 24 with 1762 viewsTractorCam

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:07 - Apr 24 by SouperJim

If we were to go in that direction, I'm not sure how many experienced championship players we could a) attract in league one, b) afford to pay championship wages without c) upsetting the rest of the squad who have all just been on the wrong end of relegation clauses.

Also, if we offload 10+ players to bring in 3-4 more expensive options, how do we get a smaller squad through 46 league games, given our recent injury record?

Not forgetting the minimum 3 extra cup games we will have to play in!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 15:04 - Apr 24 with 1682 viewsSouperJim

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:27 - Apr 24 by StokieBlue

Is it a system whereby you need experienced players from the division above to play for you regardless of the division?

SB

To be fair he didn't say you need them, just expressed the opinion that it would be a good strategy if we're serious about getting straight back up. It's certainly true that the absolute top end teams in each division outside the prem often feature key players who have played in the league above.

I'd love us to employ such a strategy if the owner would bankroll it, but he won't.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 15:15 - Apr 24 with 1641 viewsMrTown

Whats the point in moving on Kenlock, we would simply have to replace him with someone like himself.

I see him as cover.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 23:40 - Apr 24 with 1327 viewsActionMan

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:27 - Apr 24 by StokieBlue

SB

We want to get promoted and sustain ourselves in this league though surely? We cannot do that with the current crop of players as proven this season. Even if we go back up with the current team we will not stay there for long in my view. Plus we need to bed in players to replace Bart, Chambers and Skuse for the season after at least.

Also I don't understand the hate I am getting for this opinion.
Experienced Championship players for next season? on 23:41 - Apr 24 with 1326 viewsActionMan

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 15:04 - Apr 24 by SouperJim

To be fair he didn't say you need them, just expressed the opinion that it would be a good strategy if we're serious about getting straight back up. It's certainly true that the absolute top end teams in each division outside the prem often feature key players who have played in the league above.

I'd love us to employ such a strategy if the owner would bankroll it, but he won't.

Thank you - a voice of reason!
Experienced Championship players for next season? on 09:28 - Apr 25 with 1163 viewsStokieBlue

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 23:40 - Apr 24 by ActionMan

We want to get promoted and sustain ourselves in this league though surely? We cannot do that with the current crop of players as proven this season. Even if we go back up with the current team we will not stay there for long in my view. Plus we need to bed in players to replace Bart, Chambers and Skuse for the season after at least.

Also I don't understand the hate I am getting for this opinion.

The younger players will have a chance to improve and prove themselves, you aren't factoring in any progress.

I would also argue getting in good League One players, honing a system and giving them confidence is probably better than Championship players looking for a payday.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 09:32 - Apr 25 with 1153 viewsGeoffSentence

SB

works for me on Football Manager

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 09:41 - Apr 25 with 1130 viewsEly_Blue

Experienced Championship players for next season? on 14:30 - Apr 24 by TractorCam

Would be on massive wages for league 1!

Would be on zero wages once his contract expires though!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024