Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) 11:28 - Apr 25 with 13290 viewsMaySixth

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:29 - Apr 25 with 5776 viewsBluefish

roy keane
Paul Lambert
Paul Jewell
Paul Hurst
Simon Clegg

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:29 - Apr 25 with 5779 viewsbracknell_blue

1) Sacking Magilton
2) Appointing Keane

The other 3 are immaterial.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:32 - Apr 25 with 5773 viewsReuser_is_God

1. Roy Keane
2. Paul Hurst
3. Paul Jewell
4. Not backing Mick when Mick was good
5. Lack of proper footballing structure at the club throughout his tenure

All are in no particular order.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:35 - Apr 25 with 5746 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Buying it!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:35 - Apr 25 with 5749 viewsBrianTablet

1. What
2. Could
3. Possibly
4. Go
5. Wrong?

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:36 - Apr 25 with 5736 viewsBenters2

Sticking a pin on a map and finding Ipswich.

Buying the club.

Selling Murphy and replacing him with Leon Best.

Not cleaning the NS roof.

Selling over priced sub standard food and beer.

For a spare if I’m allowed doing those dippy interviews that the HCs seem to lap up.
What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:38 - Apr 25 with 5730 viewsTractorCam

Appointing Clegg
Appointing Keane
Appointing Jewell
Not sacking Mick after Lincoln
Appointing Hurst

And on a different level as RIG pointed out, not backing Mick with funds in summer 2015.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 11:39]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:40 - Apr 25 with 5718 viewsSteve_M

1). Never putting in place a proper footballing structure, meaning every managerial change has seen wholesale turnover of players.

2). Lack of care for the club as an entity, the state of the ground these days is the epitome of an approach that has only now pushed basic community engagement to a sensible level, failed to innovate to attempt to fill PR, sees a slipshod catering organisation seems surprised every single half-time.

3). Being totally half-arsed about his ownership, both distant and micro-managing at times. See also the Five Point Plan (sic).

4). Being far too slow to make decisions (largely down to all of the above) that has lead to the current inertia.

5). Thinking the PR-friendly appointment of Roy Keane was sufficient to achieve success.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:40 - Apr 25 with 5721 viewsBobbychase

1 Selling Jordan Rhodes for way under his valuation
2 Appointing Roy Keane
3 Allowing managers to waste too much money on dross like Lee Martin and Paul Taylor
4 Not cottoning on quick enough to the way the club and the fans were drifting apart towards the end of the Mick era
5 Not backing Mick properly in the January transfer window of the 2014-15 season

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:42 - Apr 25 with 5692 viewsBenters2

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:40 - Apr 25 by Bobbychase

2 Appointing Roy Keane
3 Allowing managers to waste too much money on dross like Lee Martin and Paul Taylor
4 Not cottoning on quick enough to the way the club and the fans were drifting apart towards the end of the Mick era
5 Not backing Mick properly in the January transfer window of the 2014-15 season

Darn you that’s good.

No.4 😁
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 11:46]
What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:43 - Apr 25 with 5691 viewsBobbychase

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:42 - Apr 25 by Benters2

Darn you that’s good.

No.4 😁
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 11:46]

There could be a lot more than five to be honest.

I wouldn't have sold Jon Stead for example. He still had a couple of seasons left in him

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:55 - Apr 25 with 5626 viewsSwansea_Blue

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:35 - Apr 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Buying it!

This as number 1, without a doubt. It's been a massive cost to him and millstone around his neck, and a disaster for the club and fans.

2. Lack of vision/drive form the top. Or if there is actually a vision (I don't think there is - see point 3 below), communication of that vision. And I don't mean the usual 'our aim is to be a Premier League club'. That's just a dream. 5 point plan my arse - just another wish list with no evidence of structures put in place to implement it. Which feeds nicely into....

3. Failing to put in an effective governance structure, which left us to dependent on the views of managers with apparently no checks and balances other than final sign off on finances by Marcus himself. Every single issue we've had is linked to this. Each manager is completely free to implement his own ideas on everything. Whilst that can be seen as being supportive (it is), it also prevents us developing a clear philosophy feeding through the youth temas to the main squad, and is costly when managers fail (eg disastrous recruitment under PJ) or when a new manager comes in and wants to change the squad. Take Hurst's catastrophic dismantling of the team in the summer - Marcus expressed his 'surprise' retrospectively. What we needed was some one at the time to say 'this doesn't look like a good idea'.

4. Not investing in the future. Facilities look like they're stuck in a time warp, especially PR. Not easy to do under his austerity regime, granted. And he did let Cleggy paint the turnstiles about 10 years ago I suppose.

5. Managerial choices; consistently gets this wrong both with appointments and timing of departures. Feeds back into point 2. He's needed a senior football man on the ground throughout - his celebrity advisors he meets on the golf course haven't cut it (why would they - they've got nothing invested in us).
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 11:57]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:00 - Apr 25 with 5612 viewsReuser_is_God

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:40 - Apr 25 by Bobbychase

2 Appointing Roy Keane

Agree but point of order...

Jordan Rhodes wasn't sold under his valuation at that time.

Evans out

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:03 - Apr 25 with 5598 viewsBobbychase

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:00 - Apr 25 by Reuser_is_God

Agree but point of order...

Jordan Rhodes wasn't sold under his valuation at that time.

I'd disagree. There had been a lot of talk about him for months and anyone who watched the Under-18s or Academy teams play knew we had a player on our hands. He was worth at least £1m BUT the right thing to do would have been to keep him and sell him for the millions other clubs did down the line when he was hot property.

There is an argument I've heard which says because we had Wickham coming through there wasn't a place for both. That's no excuse for releasing probably the best striker we've had on our books since relegation under Burley. And who says two big strikers can't play together? Shearer and Sutton did a pretty good job at Blackburn

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:07 - Apr 25 with 5584 viewswoodbridge_blue

2 Appointing Roy Keane

Just for clarification purposes, what was the definitive reason for Keane selling Rhodes....was it anything to do with Rhodes Senior?
What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:09 - Apr 25 with 5557 viewsSouperJim

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:07 - Apr 25 by woodbridge_blue

Just for clarification purposes, what was the definitive reason for Keane selling Rhodes....was it anything to do with Rhodes Senior?

The word at the time was certainly that Rhodes Senior played a part, was very pushy for his boy to play etc. Doesn't take much to rub Keane up the wrong way and make him dig his heels in.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:10 - Apr 25 with 5551 viewsSuperblue95

1. Sanctioning the sale or release of just about every decent player we had last summer

2. Not backing McCarthy when we were second in January leading to us fading away, barely scraping the Play Offs and having zero momentum going into them

3. Doing nothing for far too long when the atmosphere and relationship between McCarthy and some fans had turned toxic

4. Not having enough ‘football people’ around the club and using non football men such as Clegg and Milne as mouthpieces for the club, making what was probably two very intelligent blokes look like a pair of muppets.

5. Appointing some truly woeful managers, some of whom have been well past their sell by date

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:10 - Apr 25 with 5547 viewsNo9

Buying ITFC
Not having a 'proper' football man @ PR to oversee the day to day football matters
Spending too much money at the wrong time
Appointing poor managers
Re-newing MM's contract
What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:13 - Apr 25 with 5525 viewsBobbychase

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:09 - Apr 25 by SouperJim

The word at the time was certainly that Rhodes Senior played a part, was very pushy for his boy to play etc. Doesn't take much to rub Keane up the wrong way and make him dig his heels in.

Yeah, cheers Roy. Putting his own interests before the club.

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:13 - Apr 25 with 5523 viewsReuser_is_God

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 11:29 - Apr 25 by Bluefish

roy keane
Paul Lambert
Paul Jewell
Paul Hurst
Simon Clegg

You could argue that appointing Lambert has been a masterstroke given that PL's PR work has given Evans a free ride in terms of getting absolutely zero stick this season from the terraces.

Evans out

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:22 - Apr 25 with 5484 viewsBackToRussia

It would be much harder to find five good things he has done.

1. Stopped us from going into administration by continuing to invest money into the club (which any owner would do).
2. One playoff finish.

That's all I can think of really.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:25 - Apr 25 with 5467 viewsJ2BLUE

1) Not backing MM. Whatever people might think of MM now, the fact is he is a good manager and had proven repeatedly that he could turn water into wine. This is especially true when we were challenging for promotion. Just imagine if he had handed MM the £9m we are expecting to lose over the next season.

2) Selling off assets to reduce his financial input. I understand that it's his money and a fair thing to do but it's a stupid thing to do. It left us trying to replace top players with cheap punts which was only ever going to lead one way. It's staggeringly stupid for a man who would only see a return on his investment if we went up. This money needed to be invested in the squad. Selling Murphy and then pretending Best was his replacement is the best example of this stupidity.

3) Sacking Magilton. I think our form dipped under JM after we spent quite a lot of money but he deserved another season. The method of his sacking also left a very sour taste.

4) Appointing Hurst and giving him free reign. I want to point out that I was excited for Hurst (my second choice) and I was completely on-board with giving him complete control. I was excited by the changes so I am not too critical of Evans here because i'm not a hypocrite but it was a mistake and it belongs on the list.

5) Constantly undervaluing players when making offers. So many windows where we were chasing players where the saga ran all window before we failed and then had the classic 'we'll target loans' story. The Portsmouth 3, Hugill, Boyd. We chased them for an entire window and then it was later revealed we never got near the valuations. Extremely frustrating. Add in the lack of a plan b if we didn't get these players and it was a recipe for disaster.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:31 - Apr 25 with 5447 viewsActionMan

The sad thing about this you could probably have a top 5 mistakes a year he's made ...
What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:42 - Apr 25 with 5387 viewsSwansea_Blue

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:31 - Apr 25 by ActionMan

The sad thing about this you could probably have a top 5 mistakes a year he's made ...

The other sad thing is that none of it was intentional. I firmly believe he wants what's best for the club, he just hasn't been able to deliver it. A lot of his decisions can be justified at the time, but ultimately turn out to be bad.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:44 - Apr 25 with 5376 viewsReuser_is_God

What are the FIVE biggest mistakes that Marcus Evans has made at ITFC? (n/t) on 12:42 - Apr 25 by Swansea_Blue

The other sad thing is that none of it was intentional. I firmly believe he wants what's best for the club, he just hasn't been able to deliver it. A lot of his decisions can be justified at the time, but ultimately turn out to be bad.

Agreed, he's just useless rather than wreckless.

Evans out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024