Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the Evans era 12:36 - Apr 25 with 2408 viewsReuser_is_God

Have any of the senior/key players we've sold/let leave been replaced by someone just as good/better?

Norris
McAuley
Leadbitter
Cresswell
Mings
Murphy
Berra
Smith
McGoldrick
Waghorn
Garner

A lot of them we've never even replaced & if we have it's been on the cheap.

Evans out.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 12:45]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

In the Evans era on 12:42 - Apr 25 with 1434 viewsJ2BLUE

It's McAuley FFS. Mc-F**king-Auley. McAuley

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

In the Evans era on 12:44 - Apr 25 with 1421 viewsSwansea_Blue

In the Evans era on 12:42 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

In the Evans era on 12:45 - Apr 25 with 1411 viewsReuser_is_God

Sorry Sir.

Evans out

In the Evans era on 12:46 - Apr 25 with 1403 viewsSuperblue95

Calm down Gareth

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

In the Evans era on 12:47 - Apr 25 with 1404 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

No. Which has been my main point about him for 4 years now.

I remember the reaction I got when I flipped out the idea of us selling waggy. Whether it was for 6m or £600m, it was patently wrong at the time with so many people saying we’d sign a replacement. LOL! It was always going to be a cheap punt.

Evans Out!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

In the Evans era on 12:48 - Apr 25 with 1389 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The replacement for 6 months for Murphy (our best player at the time) was LEON F**KING BEST ffs!

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

In the Evans era on 12:50 - Apr 25 with 1373 viewsKieran_Knows

In the Evans era on 12:47 - Apr 25 by The_Romford_Blue

No. Which has been my main point about him for 4 years now.

I remember the reaction I got when I flipped out the idea of us selling waggy. Whether it was for 6m or £600m, it was patently wrong at the time with so many people saying we’d sign a replacement. LOL! It was always going to be a cheap punt.

Evans Out!

I'm not defending Evans by any stretch of imagination, but I don't see what the club can do when a player is so keen to leave (and can't say I blame Waghorn given what he is probably on at Derby)?

Although, that issue points back to Evans where there is no strategy in place for such eventualities.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

In the Evans era on 12:52 - Apr 25 with 1361 viewsFixed_It

We replaced Cresswell with Mings, which kind of ruins your argument to an extent. But I get your general point.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

In the Evans era on 12:53 - Apr 25 with 1343 viewsJ2BLUE

In the Evans era on 12:48 - Apr 25 by The_Romford_Blue

The replacement for 6 months for Murphy (our best player at the time) was LEON F**KING BEST ffs!

That was a shambles. Best joined on trial before we knew Murphy was going. Murphy left on 28th August for a cut price fee. We sign Best on August 30th and MM pretends he is Murphy's replacement.

The whole thing was an utter farce. Probably the most stupid and depressing day in my time supporting Town and i'm usually fairly optimistic. I remember being excited when we signed Adam Proudlock on a free but that pushed me too far.

Truly impaired.

In the Evans era on 12:54 - Apr 25 with 1328 viewsSuperblue95

In the Evans era on 12:52 - Apr 25 by Fixed_It

We replaced Cresswell with Mings, which kind of ruins your argument to an extent. But I get your general point.

Mings himself was a cheap punt though (although one that admittedly paid off). He was also already at the club so not signed as a direct replacement for Cresswell

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

In the Evans era on 12:56 - Apr 25 with 1315 viewsFixed_It

In the Evans era on 12:54 - Apr 25 by Superblue95

Mings himself was a cheap punt though (although one that admittedly paid off). He was also already at the club so not signed as a direct replacement for Cresswell

I suspect he was signed with a view to Cressie leaving. But yes - a cheap punt that paid off.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

In the Evans era on 12:58 - Apr 25 with 1297 viewsMach_foreignBlue

In the Evans era on 12:48 - Apr 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Followed by spending 10k on Kieffer Moore.
In the Evans era on 12:59 - Apr 25 with 1292 viewsTractorCam

In the Evans era on 12:50 - Apr 25 by Kieran_Knows

I'm not defending Evans by any stretch of imagination, but I don't see what the club can do when a player is so keen to leave (and can't say I blame Waghorn given what he is probably on at Derby)?

Although, that issue points back to Evans where there is no strategy in place for such eventualities.

Sounds like he was given a nudge out the door by Mr Hurst too. Garner is the one that annoyed me, deadline day for such a rubbish transfer fee.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

In the Evans era on 13:00 - Apr 25 with 1288 viewsTractorCam

In the Evans era on 12:58 - Apr 25 by Mach_foreignBlue

Followed by spending 10k on Kieffer Moore.

Dominic Samuel as well, iconic season that.

In the Evans era on 13:01 - Apr 25 with 1279 viewsKieran_Knows

In the Evans era on 12:59 - Apr 25 by TractorCam

Sounds like he was given a nudge out the door by Mr Hurst too. Garner is the one that annoyed me, deadline day for such a rubbish transfer fee.

To be fair, I thought the fee we got for Garner was decent (£1.25m IIRC). But appreciate yet again, we had no replacement which is just shambolic.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

In the Evans era on 13:02 - Apr 25 with 1270 viewsbontcho

Mings was replaced by Knudsen who (for us) wasn't that cheap.

The thing that stands out to me is how many of these left for nothing - our club has been run so badly and not in the long term benefit of the club. Hopefully Lee O'Neill being Director of Football (I know that's not his actual job title) will help this - it's noticeable that we're securing kids on longer deals and didn't hang about with Judge either.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

In the Evans era on 13:03 - Apr 25 with 1268 viewschristiand

That's probably what made ME believe every signing could be done on the cheap, when you sell your left back for £3m and then get in a replacement for £10,000. It's not just ME buying in cheap replacements and expecting miracles, but I also feel we sell our 'prize assets' for far less than the going rate, in most cases.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 15:18]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

In the Evans era on 13:04 - Apr 25 with 1267 viewsCheltenham_Blue

In the Evans era on 12:50 - Apr 25 by Kieran_Knows

The reasons Waghorn left aren't in dispute, the club had very little option with him. What Rommy is saying, it was always going to be an untested L2 player to replace him, at, I suspect, around half the wages.

Now, I'm happy to take a punt on players in the hopes that they might come good in 2-3 seasons, but if you are going to do that, does it not also make sense to retain players like McGoldrick whilst waiting for that to happen? And additionally get in experience on a free.

Evans M.O. is sell high, buy cheap. When have you ever seen him sell a player for 3m and replace with one for 3m, or even 2.5? Maybe 500k and lower wages might be more accurate.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 13:10]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

In the Evans era on 13:06 - Apr 25 with 1258 viewsSwansea_Blue

That example and (ultimately) replacing Murph with Waghorn are the only examples I can think of. Mings was a slow burner and there was a gap to Waghorn. So I suppose in both cases the original argument holds true that we were weaker after selling.

I'm trying to look for positives, but it's depressing stuff. Not so much that we have to sell as that's inevitable. But more that we've a fairly poor record of replacing with quality. Only rarely have we unearthed gems.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

In the Evans era on 13:08 - Apr 25 with 1240 viewsTractorCam

In the Evans era on 13:01 - Apr 25 by Kieran_Knows

To be fair, I thought the fee we got for Garner was decent (£1.25m IIRC). But appreciate yet again, we had no replacement which is just shambolic.

In comparison to what we paid for him yes, but he was such an important player for us and we really do miss him up front, like we did when he got injured last season too.

In the Evans era on 13:09 - Apr 25 with 1228 viewschristiand

In the Evans era on 13:04 - Apr 25 by Cheltenham_Blue

The reasons Waghorn left aren't in dispute, the club had very little option with him. What Rommy is saying, it was always going to be an untested L2 player to replace him, at, I suspect, around half the wages.

Now, I'm happy to take a punt on players in the hopes that they might come good in 2-3 seasons, but if you are going to do that, does it not also make sense to retain players like McGoldrick whilst waiting for that to happen? And additionally get in experience on a free.

Evans M.O. is sell high, buy cheap. When have you ever seen him sell a player for 3m and replace with one for 3m, or even 2.5? Maybe 500k and lower wages might be more accurate.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 13:10]

Well, you would've thought so Cheltenham Blue, but I'm not sure that the management at the club work logically. That's why they get left behind by other clubs and we have to play catch up and invariably fail.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

In the Evans era on 13:09 - Apr 25 with 1225 viewsTractorCam

In the Evans era on 13:03 - Apr 25 by christiand

That's probably what made ME believe every signing could be done on the cheap, when you sell your left back for £3m and then get in a replacement for £10,000. It's not just ME buying in cheap replacements and expecting miracles, but I also feel we sell our 'prize assets' for far less than the going rate, in most cases.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2019 15:18]

That's my biggest gripe with Evans, time and time again we sell players for less than we could get for them if we were more demanding.

In the Evans era on 13:10 - Apr 25 with 1210 viewsReuser_is_God

In the Evans era on 13:02 - Apr 25 by bontcho

Mings was replaced by Knudsen who (for us) wasn't that cheap.

The thing that stands out to me is how many of these left for nothing - our club has been run so badly and not in the long term benefit of the club. Hopefully Lee O'Neill being Director of Football (I know that's not his actual job title) will help this - it's noticeable that we're securing kids on longer deals and didn't hang about with Judge either.

400k is very cheap when you sell someone for £8m!!!!

Evans out

In the Evans era on 13:11 - Apr 25 with 1204 viewsReuser_is_God

In the Evans era on 13:00 - Apr 25 by TractorCam

Such a huge signing that he was announced during the first half of a game.

Shortly after we conceded our 3rd in the first half against Derby.

Evans out

In the Evans era on 13:12 - Apr 25 with 1193 viewsJ2BLUE

In the Evans era on 13:00 - Apr 25 by TractorCam

Was he a striker? I genuinely don't remember.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024