Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? 08:39 - Apr 28 with 2450 viewstractorboy1978

We've developed no consistent pattern of play, not found a formation that works, chopped and changed players and look as devoid of confidence as we did towards the end of Hurst's time.

I guess all we can say is it has reinforced the need for several new players this summer.
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:43 - Apr 28 with 2430 viewsBluebell

We have found out that unless you have strikers who can score goals, you aren't going to win games!
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:43 - Apr 28 with 2431 viewsKeaneish

It's because the season was over a long time ago and PL has been experimenting with players and formations to see who is worthy of a new contract, a contract offer and who will make the grade next season, no?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:46 - Apr 28 with 2417 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:43 - Apr 28 by Bluebell

We have found out that unless you have strikers who can score goals, you aren't going to win games!

Agreed.

And that impacts on our defence too. We have so little attacking threat that the opposition really don't have to worry to much about the defensive side of their game.

They can concentrate on attacking us, without having to worry about having lots of bodies back.

Sheff Utd got from the defensive third to the attacking third so quickly.

At times when we were in possession, we did the opposite, we got the ball from the attacking third to our defensive third with alarming speed!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:49 - Apr 28 with 2399 viewsSomethingBlue

This is correct — but look at the different injuries *every single week* and you'll see it's been more or less impossible. Can't take anything from the last few games. Like Lambert or not, it's been a hiding to nothing recently.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:50 - Apr 28 with 2388 viewsBenters2

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:43 - Apr 28 by Bluebell

Having watched the game yesterday we didnt look to shabby at times,sadly Chambers looks proper fkd up.
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:54 - Apr 28 with 2374 viewsBluebell

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:50 - Apr 28 by Benters2

Having watched the game yesterday we didnt look to shabby at times,sadly Chambers looks proper fkd up.

Agreed.

I thought that Skuse saved Chamber's skin several times. Downes and Nsaila had good games too.

There was no way we would win yesterday playing a lot of the game with no strikers on the pitch!
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:55 - Apr 28 with 2362 viewstractorboy1978

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:43 - Apr 28 by Keaneish

It's because the season was over a long time ago and PL has been experimenting with players and formations to see who is worthy of a new contract, a contract offer and who will make the grade next season, no?

Well Bree, Quaner and Chalobah certainly won't be here yet have found themselves on the pitch as often as anyone. I don't feel like we've gained anything from these last 10 or so games. My expectation was we'd end the season with a bit of structure, idea how we were going to play next season and some improved performances to take momentum into next season. But it's been a total mess.
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:01 - Apr 28 with 2338 viewsWhymarkmariner

There's an old theory that when your'e doing well everybody is fit and ready to play, but when your'e like Town and lose or draw every game a little niggle becomes an injury and the player is out for several games. Funnily enough McGoldrick's a classic example of this. He's in a team that's winning and all of a sudden a player that was always injured and couldn't hit a barn door all of a sudden scores loads of goals and is never injured. What I saw of Town's game against the Blades for me only Kenlock and Flynn Downes, who I thought was our best player, looked like they were "At the races". It was same old, same old. Can't defend, lightweight in midfield and powder puff up front.
Login to get fewer ads

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:16 - Apr 28 with 2283 viewsKeaneish

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:55 - Apr 28 by tractorboy1978

Well Bree, Quaner and Chalobah certainly won't be here yet have found themselves on the pitch as often as anyone. I don't feel like we've gained anything from these last 10 or so games. My expectation was we'd end the season with a bit of structure, idea how we were going to play next season and some improved performances to take momentum into next season. But it's been a total mess.

Why won't Bree or Quaner be offered a deal? Unlikely Chalobah would be signed but then again, PL didn't bring him in to have a look at him. Chalobah hasn't been playing as much in recent games either but we can't lose all cohesion and shapegiven he's been one of our better players this season.

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:26 - Apr 28 with 2250 viewstractorboy1978

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:16 - Apr 28 by Keaneish

Why won't Bree or Quaner be offered a deal? Unlikely Chalobah would be signed but then again, PL didn't bring him in to have a look at him. Chalobah hasn't been playing as much in recent games either but we can't lose all cohesion and shapegiven he's been one of our better players this season.

Bree has 2 years left on a £20k+ a week deal and Villa paid £3m for him. Quaner is also likely on decent wages and possibly a squad player for Huddersfield next year. Chalobah will be on loan in the Championship again.

What cohesion/shape?
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:32 - Apr 28 with 2231 viewsWhymarkmariner

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:16 - Apr 28 by Keaneish

Think it's almost impossible that Chalobah will be at PR next season. Chelsea will want him to develop as a Premier football so he'll be off to a decent team in the Championship or like one or two who have been with us be a fringe player for Chelsea's first team. As for Quaner and for that matter Keane they spend too much time out injured and are not that good anyway.But I suppose it's difficult for any player to stand out in a very poor side who have lost all confidence.
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:40 - Apr 28 with 2214 viewsKeaneish

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:26 - Apr 28 by tractorboy1978

Bree has 2 years left on a £20k+ a week deal and Villa paid £3m for him. Quaner is also likely on decent wages and possibly a squad player for Huddersfield next year. Chalobah will be on loan in the Championship again.

What cohesion/shape?

Villa are going up and Bree has hardly set the world alight. I highly suspect he'll be off loaded at a cut price. £20k a week? Are you sure? Quaner is clearly surplus to requirements at Huddersfield and yes, no chance of signing Chalobah.

It may not look like it but having been integral to the squad for the whole season you can't just swap out a player who has been a bit of a lynch pin. Chalobah has been gradually phased out. No problem with him still being in and around the squad. I highly suspect there's something in his contract ensuring he's involved too.

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:46 - Apr 28 with 2191 viewsGuthrum

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:55 - Apr 28 by tractorboy1978

They're needed to stop us being tonked (c.f. Preston) or because of the dire lack of fit and effective strikers.

There are inevitably going to be wholesale changes in the summer, given the number of loans and contracts coming to an end, plus any sales/releases. It is impossible, at this stage, to set things up ready for next season. And why would the team suddenly start producing improved performances now, when it's too late?

In any case, we've won one and drawn four of those last ten, which, by the standards of this season, is not a bad record.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:49 - Apr 28 with 2179 viewstractorboy1978

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:40 - Apr 28 by Keaneish

Villa are going up and Bree has hardly set the world alight. I highly suspect he'll be off loaded at a cut price. £20k a week? Are you sure? Quaner is clearly surplus to requirements at Huddersfield and yes, no chance of signing Chalobah.

It may not look like it but having been integral to the squad for the whole season you can't just swap out a player who has been a bit of a lynch pin. Chalobah has been gradually phased out. No problem with him still being in and around the squad. I highly suspect there's something in his contract ensuring he's involved too.

£23k if this is to be believed. Not unlikely considering he signed as a highly rated young player for £3m.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/report-reveals-sta

You are probably right re Chalobah and the contract situation. I still stick by my point though that we've gained almost nothing out of these last 10 or so games.
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:55 - Apr 28 with 2154 viewsKeaneish

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:46 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

They're needed to stop us being tonked (c.f. Preston) or because of the dire lack of fit and effective strikers.

There are inevitably going to be wholesale changes in the summer, given the number of loans and contracts coming to an end, plus any sales/releases. It is impossible, at this stage, to set things up ready for next season. And why would the team suddenly start producing improved performances now, when it's too late?

In any case, we've won one and drawn four of those last ten, which, by the standards of this season, is not a bad record.

Yeah agreed. I'd like to have seen a few more players step up to the plate a bit more. The Hull and Preston results were disappointing for me but we have to put it in perspective of where we're at and how bad thing season has been. The damage was done way before the end of last year and confidence has been bereft ever since.

If PL is true to his word, we'll see a lot of people as permanent additions come in this summer and a good crop of them will need a bit of League 1 experience.

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:59 - Apr 28 with 2137 viewsGuthrum

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:01 - Apr 28 by Whymarkmariner

There's an old theory that when your'e doing well everybody is fit and ready to play, but when your'e like Town and lose or draw every game a little niggle becomes an injury and the player is out for several games. Funnily enough McGoldrick's a classic example of this. He's in a team that's winning and all of a sudden a player that was always injured and couldn't hit a barn door all of a sudden scores loads of goals and is never injured. What I saw of Town's game against the Blades for me only Kenlock and Flynn Downes, who I thought was our best player, looked like they were "At the races". It was same old, same old. Can't defend, lightweight in midfield and powder puff up front.

I only saw the second half, but looked to me like Skuse did a decent job at the back, too.

IMO Downes takes the title for most improved player this season, with Kenlock a very close second.

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 10:01 - Apr 28 with 2119 viewsKeaneish

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:49 - Apr 28 by tractorboy1978

£23k if this is to be believed. Not unlikely considering he signed as a highly rated young player for £3m.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/report-reveals-sta

You are probably right re Chalobah and the contract situation. I still stick by my point though that we've gained almost nothing out of these last 10 or so games.

I think individuals have more Championship experience and that's valuable for the younger players. Kenlock, Bishop and Downes all look to be in PLs plans to start next season so the more game time they have, the better.

Skuse playing central defence yesterday was Interesting and something else PL has learnt. I think he's also realised that Dozzell isn't ready and that Keane and Collins are too much of a liability.

We've utilised 433, 532 and 442-diamond in recent weeks so the back end of the season has definitely been used to experiment ahead of next year to see what gets the best out of individuals.

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 10:10 - Apr 28 with 2097 viewsgazzer1999

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 08:54 - Apr 28 by Bluebell

Agreed.

I thought that Skuse saved Chamber's skin several times. Downes and Nsaila had good games too.

There was no way we would win yesterday playing a lot of the game with no strikers on the pitch!

Sorry mate, but you watched a different game to me if you thought Nsaila had good game, he was as bad as Chambers and was an accident waiting to happen, both want to play the same side so its rather disjointed. Agree with your comments regarding Skuse who was the real standout player, Downes got about the field in the first half but faded, Judge was he playing the second half? apart from the shot at the end. Oh how we could do with a Jim Magilton to boss the midfield.
What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 10:11 - Apr 28 with 2096 viewsGuthrum

What have we learnt from the last 10 or so league games? on 09:55 - Apr 28 by Keaneish

Yeah agreed. I'd like to have seen a few more players step up to the plate a bit more. The Hull and Preston results were disappointing for me but we have to put it in perspective of where we're at and how bad thing season has been. The damage was done way before the end of last year and confidence has been bereft ever since.

If PL is true to his word, we'll see a lot of people as permanent additions come in this summer and a good crop of them will need a bit of League 1 experience.

I can see people getting annoyed in the summer when we start signing players who are perceived as "not being good enough" - i.e. only of League One standard. But we'll need some of them (and probably not be able to afford much more).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024