Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Being like the Blunts 09:40 - Apr 28 with 6120 viewsMullet

Seen this a few times after yesterday. They went down in 2011, didn't resurface until 2017. They spent big, they went back for Ched Evans half way through that stint in the third tier having spent money hand over fist at that level and not gone up.

The only part of that I can see us matching is the six years in the wilderness. Wilder might well be what would have happened if Magilton had come in when we were that far down, you can't knock what the bloke has done and I think many dismiss him as a tracksuit manager. But it did make me question Lambert's thinking yesterday.

Perhaps, we are just so weak now we could never stop them anyway, but matching them up is apparently a cardinal sin at Ipswich. Our lack of identity compared to their was staggering.

Contrast that to Norwich, who celebrated promotion with a manager many wanted out well into this season because he finished lower than us, didn't spend enough money and various other reasons.

It does make you wonder how Lambert will forge an identity here at Ipswich. He's had long enough you might argue, but he's had one window and all that has done is add to the injured list and muddy the waters some more.

People are already talking about deadlines with him, which suggests we are in for a nervy start to Div 3 life. I remember when we went to Villa Park as couple of locals were asking us what he was like, did we like him etc. They smiled at our answer and said "yeah he said all the right things here, but tried to play tippy tappy football rather than get results". That's why he had to go at Villa.

Makes you wonder what we will tolerate now especially as Evans holds all the cards and little of the blame still. I fear we are so backed into a corner now we need a new ITFC from the summer onwards. Not just the squad but the whole club needs a clean sweep of sorts or this losing habit won't be broken.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Being like the Blunts on 09:46 - Apr 28 with 5453 viewsdavblue

I can’t see us getting promoted. I don’t think this is a quick fix either. Realistically you aren’t going to solve all your woes in one window, as not every signing will come off. Lambert, I’m not convinced by I think he’s yesterday’s man but he does deserve time, this season has been a shambles from start to finish, so to judge him totally on it is a little unfair.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 9:58]
Being like the Blunts on 09:55 - Apr 28 with 5406 viewsChurchman75

Being like the Blunts on 09:46 - Apr 28 by davblue

I can’t see us getting promoted. I don’t think this is a quick fix either. Realistically you aren’t going to solve all your woes in one window, as not every signing will come off. Lambert, I’m not convinced by I think he’s yesterday’s man but he does deserve time, this season has been a shambles from start to finish, so to judge him totally on it is a little unfair.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 9:58]

its going to be a long road ahead, Evans is the issue im afraid sold and not replaced any of them.

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Being like the Blunts on 10:00 - Apr 28 with 5377 viewsbrogansnose

I can't see a quick fix to this but I'm thinking that we need a period of stability with someone with a , at least medium , game plan. If its not PL then I don't know who is and it looks like he's now going to be the man who has over seen our slow drawn out demise new shield. Evens will be quite content to let him take the flak and runs things. This keeps getting brought up, which doesn't invalidate the issue, but its imperative if we are to have a longer period of recovery, that we are there or therabouts to keep people on board.

Edit : For Lambert this is practically his last chance to revive his career and prove that he's not just a one hit wonder. He needs to make this work for himself as much as we need him to make it work for us and he won't get a better opportunity to have carte blanche in many regards than here especially with the way the fanbase is at the moment.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 10:10]
Being like the Blunts on 10:05 - Apr 28 with 5356 viewstractorboy1978

Lambert knows how to get out of L1 - the formula for that hasn't changed over time. The obvious key signing is going to be a traditional number 9 that can hold the ball up and get on the end of crosses. We also need a midfield enforcer, someone wily with a bit of bite.

My worry for next season is that we may well be technically superior to a lot of teams but we will get out battled and over powered. Being able to mix it up is going to be key.

A Sheffield United fan on here the other day commented how before Wilder they dominated possession but couldn't break teams down. Wilder came in and they became more direct - not hoofing the ball but getting it wide early and getting crosses in rather than trying to pass through teams.
Being like the Blunts on 10:08 - Apr 28 with 5330 viewschristiand

We might need to be prepared to spend a couple of seasons down in League One to build a side which will then allow us to come back stronger and be competitive. I look at the ones that bounce back straight away and they tend to struggle back in The Championship or get relegated again. I'm prepared to wait, if I can see things happening on the pitch. I still very much worry about ME as I think he's found his level in League One with his level of investment and that might just suit him perfectly.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Being like the Blunts on 10:26 - Apr 28 with 5239 viewsMoriarty

Identity. A key word.

I’ve been advocating Burley for some time. Met with derision by some as he is, apparently out of touch with the modern game. But having seen what Hurst and Lambert have done, it’s all the more reason to go for GB. We have to get the basics right on the pitch. We have to build the right way off it. We have to see young players improve, not regress.

A manager who’s done it before. At this club. Who genuinely gets us. It’s a unique qualification. And a proper bridge from boardroom to us. The importance of that can’t be understated. 3 years under GB with a succession plan. Otherwise I fear it’s the wilderness for us.

Identity.

fka omuircheartaigh

Being like the Blunts on 10:56 - Apr 28 with 5144 viewsDubtractor

Being like the Blunts on 10:05 - Apr 28 by tractorboy1978

Lambert knows how to get out of L1 - the formula for that hasn't changed over time. The obvious key signing is going to be a traditional number 9 that can hold the ball up and get on the end of crosses. We also need a midfield enforcer, someone wily with a bit of bite.

My worry for next season is that we may well be technically superior to a lot of teams but we will get out battled and over powered. Being able to mix it up is going to be key.

A Sheffield United fan on here the other day commented how before Wilder they dominated possession but couldn't break teams down. Wilder came in and they became more direct - not hoofing the ball but getting it wide early and getting crosses in rather than trying to pass through teams.

The clear attacking game plan that Utd had yesterday, compared with our lack of one, was pretty stark.

As with the latter times under Mick, teams know that they can just sit in when we have the ball and wait for our directionless attacks to peter out.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 10:57]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Being like the Blunts on 10:57 - Apr 28 with 5135 views3_5_2

Being like the Blunts on 10:08 - Apr 28 by christiand

We might need to be prepared to spend a couple of seasons down in League One to build a side which will then allow us to come back stronger and be competitive. I look at the ones that bounce back straight away and they tend to struggle back in The Championship or get relegated again. I'm prepared to wait, if I can see things happening on the pitch. I still very much worry about ME as I think he's found his level in League One with his level of investment and that might just suit him perfectly.

I agree with most of this but don't think that PL will get 2 seasons as we already have people saying they will give him 10 games next season etc... You can imagine how quickly it will turn if we are not top 6

The long term plan has to be having a decent season, some stability, be competitive physically (which is a concern for me with this group) and a plan of how to take the side forward

Expecting instant success is, in my view, just not viable given all the problems we have at the club, the squad size / quality and lack of momentum.

Stopping the slide is the first job and that is not going to easy

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Login to get fewer ads

Being like the Blunts on 11:09 - Apr 28 with 5079 viewsGuthrum

Being like the Blunts on 10:57 - Apr 28 by 3_5_2

I agree with most of this but don't think that PL will get 2 seasons as we already have people saying they will give him 10 games next season etc... You can imagine how quickly it will turn if we are not top 6

The long term plan has to be having a decent season, some stability, be competitive physically (which is a concern for me with this group) and a plan of how to take the side forward

Expecting instant success is, in my view, just not viable given all the problems we have at the club, the squad size / quality and lack of momentum.

Stopping the slide is the first job and that is not going to easy

This is less a slide into the ditch than a nail which has burst a tyre.

The club is not in a very bad place off the pitch (no financial collapse, for example). It's just we started on the back foot and the squad weren't good enough. Too many key departures and signings without Championship experience - on top of several years of stagnation - left us without the reserves (mental or physical) to survive after Hurst's problems.

A few key signings (e.g. a couple of decent L1 strikers) will do a lot to repair the imbalance in the squad. There is no reason why we cannot start strongly. Indeed we have to.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Being like the Blunts on 13:36 - Apr 28 with 4927 viewsradiogaga

We have to stop comparing ourselves to Norwich. Off the pitch and barring last season on the pitch, they have been streaks ahead of us for years and they will continue to be for years to come.

Lets just see how next season goes before making too many bleak forecasts. Admittedly, right now we are very poor and Lambert has gotten away lightly so far but patience will ware thin if we have a disjointed pre season and poor start to next season. Worth noting that Lambert now has a worse points per game ratio than Hurst.

Poll: How many points will Town need to make the off-plays?
Blog: Expectations of Paul Lambert's Ipswich

Being like the Blunts on 13:52 - Apr 28 with 4893 viewsMullet

Being like the Blunts on 13:36 - Apr 28 by radiogaga

We have to stop comparing ourselves to Norwich. Off the pitch and barring last season on the pitch, they have been streaks ahead of us for years and they will continue to be for years to come.

Lets just see how next season goes before making too many bleak forecasts. Admittedly, right now we are very poor and Lambert has gotten away lightly so far but patience will ware thin if we have a disjointed pre season and poor start to next season. Worth noting that Lambert now has a worse points per game ratio than Hurst.

You've contradicted yourself there. Why would/should we not compare ourselves to them? The Blades? Or anyone else?

They've had Prem money and nearly wasted it all. That's the only difference from that perspective, they were bracing themselves for midtable, wanted Farke out and have spent the latter half of the season rewriting their views in general.

Right now, nothing looks good about our club. Lambert has a hell of a job on his hands. Promotion should both be an absolute minimum as we don't belong in the third tier, and will take a hell of a lot of work. It's a paradox.

Being like the Blunts on 14:07 - Apr 28 with 4862 viewsNo9

This has been on the cards since Sheepshanks put ITFC into administration.

The Owner now has all the options
Being like the Blunts on 14:12 - Apr 28 with 4850 viewsradiogaga

Being like the Blunts on 13:52 - Apr 28 by Mullet

You've contradicted yourself there. Why would/should we not compare ourselves to them? The Blades? Or anyone else?

They've had Prem money and nearly wasted it all. That's the only difference from that perspective, they were bracing themselves for midtable, wanted Farke out and have spent the latter half of the season rewriting their views in general.

Right now, nothing looks good about our club. Lambert has a hell of a job on his hands. Promotion should both be an absolute minimum as we don't belong in the third tier, and will take a hell of a lot of work. It's a paradox.

How have I contradicted myself? I wasn't saying we shouldn't compare ourselves to Sheffield United, I referred specifically to Norwich. Norwich had Prem money because they were good enough to have won promotion and been there before. They spent a large portion of that money upgrading their academy. Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis were all integral players for them this year, whilst the sales of the Murphy brothers brought in £20m that has been reinvested to pretty much fund the fees and wages for Vranjic/ Stiepermann/ Pukki/ McClean/ Buendia/ Zimmermann/ Krul. They knew exactly what they were doing when they sold Maddison.

They also develop players better than us, as proved by how they have helped transform Madison into an excellent England prospect and a bunch of foreign lower league players into a free scoring championship team. It's not a fluke. They won multiple promotions with fairly average managers in Lambert and Alex Neil, so clearly the set up behind the scenes is good too.

Sheffield United have recently been in league one, I get that, but they spent a great deal of money at it over several years to get there. I agree that promotion is top priority and poor management on and off the pitch has taken us to league one, but unfortunately we do belong there for the time being and we have to earn the right to get out of it next season. That's the reality.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 14:33]

Being like the Blunts on 14:28 - Apr 28 with 4817 viewsNo9

Being like the Blunts on 10:08 - Apr 28 by christiand

Unfortunately we have no options. All options are in the hands of the Owner who will give us what he sees as beeing affordable & sustainable.
My concern is that he may be able to arrange his contributions in the lower divisions to be more affordable than a push for progress- promotion wise?
Being like the Blunts on 14:37 - Apr 28 with 4786 viewsMullet

Being like the Blunts on 14:12 - Apr 28 by radiogaga

How have I contradicted myself? I wasn't saying we shouldn't compare ourselves to Sheffield United, I referred specifically to Norwich. Norwich had Prem money because they were good enough to have won promotion and been there before. They spent a large portion of that money upgrading their academy. Godfrey, Aarons and Lewis were all integral players for them this year, whilst the sales of the Murphy brothers brought in £20m that has been reinvested to pretty much fund the fees and wages for Vranjic/ Stiepermann/ Pukki/ McClean/ Buendia/ Zimmermann/ Krul. They knew exactly what they were doing when they sold Maddison.

They also develop players better than us, as proved by how they have helped transform Madison into an excellent England prospect and a bunch of foreign lower league players into a free scoring championship team. It's not a fluke. They won multiple promotions with fairly average managers in Lambert and Alex Neil, so clearly the set up behind the scenes is good too.

Sheffield United have recently been in league one, I get that, but they spent a great deal of money at it over several years to get there. I agree that promotion is top priority and poor management on and off the pitch has taken us to league one, but unfortunately we do belong there for the time being and we have to earn the right to get out of it next season. That's the reality.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 14:33]

To say they're streaks ahead of us apart from where it's inconvenient, and that means we shouldn't compare ourselves to them is a contradiction.

Under Mick we outdid them despite all the advantages they had. They've squandered so much again and just as they hit the crunch season, turned it around. I'm in no way saying they don't deserve it this season, but to dismiss it as beyond us when our whole fanbase is talking about our youth players and cheap punts seems odd in the main.

This club being in League 1 is a disgrace. We may well deserve it as proven by the latest news story, but that doesn't mean it was inevitable, or something that should be tamely accepted. You only have to look at the clubs going down and close to going down with us to see what an abomination replacing Mick has been.

Being like the Blunts on 14:51 - Apr 28 with 4748 viewsradiogaga

Being like the Blunts on 14:37 - Apr 28 by Mullet

To say they're streaks ahead of us apart from where it's inconvenient, and that means we shouldn't compare ourselves to them is a contradiction.

Under Mick we outdid them despite all the advantages they had. They've squandered so much again and just as they hit the crunch season, turned it around. I'm in no way saying they don't deserve it this season, but to dismiss it as beyond us when our whole fanbase is talking about our youth players and cheap punts seems odd in the main.

This club being in League 1 is a disgrace. We may well deserve it as proven by the latest news story, but that doesn't mean it was inevitable, or something that should be tamely accepted. You only have to look at the clubs going down and close to going down with us to see what an abomination replacing Mick has been.

It's not a contradiction 😂 They're streaks ahead of us, they're in the premier league and we are in league one.

We have never once outdid them. The closest we came to outdoing them was in 2015 and they still got the better of us in the play offs. I get what you're saying to a degree, we competed with them on a budget we had no business doing it with but we did not outdo them. I didn't dismiss it as being beyond us either, but they have been able to afford mistakes because of the extra financial security they earned themselves by having been promoted previously.

The club being in league one is a disgrace, I have not tamely accepted it either, but we are there and have to learn the lessons. I'm not wasting my time having another lengthy debate about our former former manager either. MM did well but time was definitely right for a change, we made a change but the changes have been wrong.

Being like the Blunts on 14:56 - Apr 28 with 4737 viewsMullet

Being like the Blunts on 14:51 - Apr 28 by radiogaga

It's not a contradiction 😂 They're streaks ahead of us, they're in the premier league and we are in league one.

We have never once outdid them. The closest we came to outdoing them was in 2015 and they still got the better of us in the play offs. I get what you're saying to a degree, we competed with them on a budget we had no business doing it with but we did not outdo them. I didn't dismiss it as being beyond us either, but they have been able to afford mistakes because of the extra financial security they earned themselves by having been promoted previously.

The club being in league one is a disgrace, I have not tamely accepted it either, but we are there and have to learn the lessons. I'm not wasting my time having another lengthy debate about our former former manager either. MM did well but time was definitely right for a change, we made a change but the changes have been wrong.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. To say we can't compare ourselves to them and then do so is odd in the least. It shows exactly why we should scrutinise Evans.

We finished above them, that is a fact. To say we didn't outdo them in that respect is bizarre. That's the fundamental measurement of success in football.

As for a debate about Mick, there isn't one. Getting rid of him has done nothing but cause us harm and ruin.

Being like the Blunts on 15:45 - Apr 28 with 4678 viewsradiogaga

Being like the Blunts on 14:56 - Apr 28 by Mullet

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. To say we can't compare ourselves to them and then do so is odd in the least. It shows exactly why we should scrutinise Evans.

We finished above them, that is a fact. To say we didn't outdo them in that respect is bizarre. That's the fundamental measurement of success in football.

As for a debate about Mick, there isn't one. Getting rid of him has done nothing but cause us harm and ruin.

I fail to see where I have compared us to them in any of the above. I merely explained that their Prem money makes it impossible to be a like for like comparison between the two clubs, which it is. Apparently I said we shouldn't compare us to Sheff United earlier too, even though I didn't say that anywhere in any of my posts. Bizarre to say the least.

However, saying we "outdid" Norwich over the last 4 years whilst not beating them, then saying fans have been too easily accepting of relegation is pretty contradictory.

We finished above them on goal difference, largely with players that weren't even ours and pure short termism.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 21:20]

Being like the Blunts on 17:54 - Apr 28 with 4525 viewsGarv

Being like the Blunts on 14:37 - Apr 28 by Mullet

Interested to know when we outdid them.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Being like the Blunts on 17:55 - Apr 28 with 4520 viewsMullet

Being like the Blunts on 17:54 - Apr 28 by Garv

Interested to know when we outdid them.

By finishing above them as discussed.

Being like the Blunts on 01:54 - Apr 29 with 4278 viewsArnieM

Being like the Blunts on 10:05 - Apr 28 by tractorboy1978

I think you’ll find Nolan will be that bite in midfield . It definitely won’t be Dozzell!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Being like the Blunts on 12:40 - Apr 29 with 4094 viewsr1griff

Being like the Blunts on 01:54 - Apr 29 by ArnieM

I think you’ll find Nolan will be that bite in midfield . It definitely won’t be Dozzell!

Garner , waghorn and mcg all wanted to leave and did so , all our top scorers left the club now if we had still got MM and we never replaced those three it could well of been the same situation as we have ended up in now , players that score lots of goals are hard to come by with all the top sides snapping them up , hurst tried to bring a couple in which hasn’t worked so far but he also brought to many others in to which changed the side to much with players not upto speed or not good enough to make the jump to the higher league , yes it’s going to be a tough job for pl as he’s been left with very sub standard squad and has tried to keep there spirits up knowing that a lot where not good enough , yes we have good youth players coming through but it’s a world of difference from youth football and not all will shine or be good enough to start with and some may well not make it but you can only pick a team from the players he inherited and hopefully given the money he will mould he’s own team but with Evans funding it might take a while and he might not be given that time scale .
Being like the Blunts on 13:28 - Apr 29 with 4033 viewsJimmyJazz

Being like the Blunts on 17:55 - Apr 28 by Mullet

By finishing above them as discussed.

We finished higher, but as we both finished midtable it's a very slight margin.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Being like the Blunts on 13:36 - Apr 29 with 4000 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I think Lambert will be gone early into next season after we fail to make a mark towards the top of the league. We will then probably turn to a Simon Grayson type and round and round we go.
Being like the Blunts on 13:47 - Apr 29 with 3967 viewsITFC_Forever

The game on Saturday, and also Norwich's performances this season has spelt out the massive chasm between us and the two automatically promoted sides.... they both have a well-drilled, deeply embedded pattern of play that they know, trust and all the players are comfortable with - in stark contrast to us.

PL is starting to lose credit as we have only made slight improvements under his management. He doesn't seem to grasp the fact that we are not good enough collectively or individually to play one up-front and we are still to easy to score against.
The benefit of the doubt I will give him is that ME and Hurst gave him a hospital pass with the job he was left to do - and by the time the transfer window came around, we were already 10 points from safety and it was therefore very difficult to attract new players that were any good, so we were left with the crap, the injury-prone, the forgotten and the desperate.

We need to hit the ground running next season, or the knives will be out for ME and PL. PL for still not winning games in a lower division and ME for allowing all this to happen on his watch.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024