Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense 09:59 - Apr 28 with 1446 viewschristiand

The suggestion that having a reasonable finish this season would have any bearing on next season is ridiculous really. I look at Fulham who have won their last 3 games, is that going to influence their performance in the EFL to become Championship title winners? The simple answer is very unlikely. Like them, our side will most likely have a different look about it come the start of the new campaign. For me, PL needs to recruit well and will need help from ME to get those players through the door. None of this continued hiding behind our youth players and using that as an excuse not to spend any money. Getting that blend between youth and experience is the key. I can see the style of football PL prefers his side to play, but he simply hasn't got the personnel to play out from the back.

The last few games have been disappointing performance wise, but the mental and physical fatigue of this season has probably had an impact on the players, they looked spent. I'm still hopeful that things will right themselves in League One, however it is going to be one of the biggest summers in the club's existence. I'm hoping they already have things in place, it's essential they get things right both on and off pitch as soon as the game against Leeds United finishes next weekend, the whole leadership/management team at the club has a role to play not just PL with his PR work.

Get the building blocks in place and start well in August and then that word 'momentum' will have a huge influence.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:06 - Apr 28 with 1409 viewsGuthrum

Agreed. Far more important to build momentum through the transfer window, pre-season and the first few games in League One.

As regards Fulham, I'd be quite angry if my team produced nearly half their wins total for the season only after relegation had been confirmed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:09 - Apr 28 with 1393 viewsWD19

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:06 - Apr 28 by Guthrum

Agreed. Far more important to build momentum through the transfer window, pre-season and the first few games in League One.

As regards Fulham, I'd be quite angry if my team produced nearly half their wins total for the season only after relegation had been confirmed.

A shot on target at Barnet in pre-season will be progress....
Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:13 - Apr 28 with 1374 viewsDarth_Koont

While you're right that we most need momentum next season, the absence of it now means Lambert and the squad go into next season with a lot more pressure and negativity.

Added to which, it'll make it that much more difficult to retain or sign players when we give off the whiff of a club that's still on the slide and NOT looking likely to bounce back.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2019 10:14]

Pronouns: He/Him

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:16 - Apr 28 with 1341 viewstractorboy1978

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:13 - Apr 28 by Darth_Koont

While you're right that we most need momentum next season, the absence of it now means Lambert and the squad go into next season with a lot more pressure and negativity.

Added to which, it'll make it that much more difficult to retain or sign players when we give off the whiff of a club that's still on the slide and NOT looking likely to bounce back.

Spot on.
Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:20 - Apr 28 with 1322 viewschristiand

That's more a mental approach to the game. That will also need to be worked on with the players so they have a more positive mindset going into games, but it's not that it can't be achieved. I know the club have a sports psychologist involved with the academy. Again for me, it's about doing things right off the pitch, to get things right on it and looking at the bigger picture.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:22 - Apr 28 with 1311 viewsWeWereZombies

There is something in that but after this most major of disappointments it is understandable that motivation is just lip service until everyone has gone away and recharged their batteries. Furthermore, there is an argument that the negativity needs to be bottomed out to be got rid of. If an attitude of looking like you care when you just do not have it in you to care persists then the false mentality carries forward to next season.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:27 - Apr 28 with 1290 viewsGuthrum

One game will be enough. Give it a decent go against Leeds (a la Newcastle 2016/17) and the atmosphere will turn right round.

I doubt it will make any difference to the players. Those on the inside will already have formed their opinion about future prospects and for the neutral there is always a superficial expectation that relegated teams will bounce back (barring off-field collapse). Lambert's ability to attract and enthuse potential recruits - plus the reasonable L1 wages we could offer - will be a far bigger factor.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:32 - Apr 28 with 1247 viewsmrshallisfit

Thank God for that. We are certainly not building momentum at the moment. Or perhaps we are. For League Two.
Login to get fewer ads

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:37 - Apr 28 with 1227 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Can we just give this anti Corbyn stuff a rest now please....not even going to read the content.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:46 - Apr 28 with 1201 viewsDarth_Koont

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 10:22 - Apr 28 by WeWereZombies

There is something in that but after this most major of disappointments it is understandable that motivation is just lip service until everyone has gone away and recharged their batteries. Furthermore, there is an argument that the negativity needs to be bottomed out to be got rid of. If an attitude of looking like you care when you just do not have it in you to care persists then the false mentality carries forward to next season.

I know what you mean but we're talking about a manager and a team (many of them still very young) who have had a year of struggle and failure. And they haven't been unlucky this time, just not good enough.

I hope you're right about the likelihood of a re-set in League One. But we're now heading into an off-season where I'd be surprised if Lambert feels confident about the squad in all but a couple of positions.So I think we've created additional problems with confidence and trust a lot lower than it could have been.

Pronouns: He/Him

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 11:04 - Apr 28 with 1147 views3_5_2

Tonking dirty Leeds 5 nil next week will help

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Just don't buy in to this 'momentum' nonsense on 11:11 - Apr 28 with 1121 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Everything you say is of course correct, but this one line,

"None of this continued hiding behind our youth players and using that as an excuse not to spend any money."

Is EXACTLY what is going to happen. And Evans will get away with it, again.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024