Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tough season ahead for Norwich 13:15 - Apr 30 with 7821 viewsuefacup81

They're ruling out spending any serious money already:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/canaries-stuart-webber-rules-out-lavi

Very kind of Fulham to provide Webber and Delia with a ready-made excuse not to splash the cash.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:34 - Apr 30 with 4968 viewsSE1blue

I think their biggest problem is that there are some well-established Premier League teams up there now.

Most of them have been in the league for at least five years, have balanced, strong squads now and know how to stay up.

If Norwich have the same start to the season they did this year, they'll be back down before the season is done.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:45 - Apr 30 with 4921 viewsSteve_M

Some expectation management going on here I suspect. Fulham's biggest failing wasn't spending money as much as ripping apart what had worked so well for them for two seasons before.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:48 - Apr 30 with 4904 viewsActionMan

They'll make a profit either way - I don't think they are going to be crying about being a top tier team again! Meanwhile we're about to play Chambers and Skuse with a bunch of U23's and expect to be a Championship side again!

I know what i'd rather have...
Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:51 - Apr 30 with 4897 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:34 - Apr 30 by SE1blue

I think their biggest problem is that there are some well-established Premier League teams up there now.

Most of them have been in the league for at least five years, have balanced, strong squads now and know how to stay up.

If Norwich have the same start to the season they did this year, they'll be back down before the season is done.

Brighton and Burnley are vulnerable and it’s not implausible to see the likes of Palace or Bournemouth having a bad run and finding themselves in trouble. And that doesn’t account for any surprise strugglers, which history shows is quite possible

Norwich only have to be better than the other 2 promoted teams plus one of the above to stay up - which isn’t implausible unfortunately

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:56 - Apr 30 with 4880 viewsNo9

I believe they made the decison some years ago to become a yo-yo because that was the best way to accrue enough money to become an established PL club.

They have the same ££ problem as Town = low wage area low population
Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:58 - Apr 30 with 4869 viewsSE1blue

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:51 - Apr 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Brighton and Burnley are vulnerable and it’s not implausible to see the likes of Palace or Bournemouth having a bad run and finding themselves in trouble. And that doesn’t account for any surprise strugglers, which history shows is quite possible

Norwich only have to be better than the other 2 promoted teams plus one of the above to stay up - which isn’t implausible unfortunately

With any newly promoted team, it always seems the less changes you make the better - bar a couple of experienced heads that are better than what you currently have. So, the possibility of minimal spending in the Premiership might benefit them long term.

I can't see Palace or Bournemouth struggling as they have too much strength and depth in their squads. Brighton might wobble but Dyche has got Burnley back on track.

If it's Villa that go up with Norwich and Sheff Utd, I think Norwich will be in trouble.

So much of your PL season depends on how you get going at the start and who stays fit.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 13:59]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:30 - Apr 30 with 4770 viewsBrixtonBlue

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:51 - Apr 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The other 2 promoted teams plus one of the above will all be thinking the same thing.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:40 - Apr 30 with 4745 viewsTownly

Why do we have to console ourselves by turning promotion from the Championship into a negative?

It's what every team here aspires to after all.

Sure it is tough, but I wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool at Portman Road or getting that debt of ours paid off. To say nothing of all the exposure, worldwide.
Login to get fewer ads

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:45 - Apr 30 with 4709 viewschicoazul

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:45 - Apr 30 by Steve_M

Some expectation management going on here I suspect. Fulham's biggest failing wasn't spending money as much as ripping apart what had worked so well for them for two seasons before.

Plus they are now basically set up for the next 5 years at least if they do things right which unfortunately, they probably will.

Still say the 9-0 is in danger at the Etihad next season though!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:45 - Apr 30 with 4702 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:30 - Apr 30 by BrixtonBlue

The other 2 promoted teams plus one of the above will all be thinking the same thing.

Well of course

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:46 - Apr 30 with 4699 viewsGriller

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:56 - Apr 30 by No9

I believe they made the decison some years ago to become a yo-yo because that was the best way to accrue enough money to become an established PL club.

They have the same ££ problem as Town = low wage area low population

I think this is probably the most ridiculous post I have ever seen on TWTD. No Club would ever make a conscious decision to become a yo-yo as you put it - clearly the long-term solution would be to develop a team capable of remaining in the Premier League. If en route to to achieving that aim there are a few ups and downs on the way then so be it.
As to your second appraisal if indeed we do have the same ££ problem as Ipswich (you suggest a low wage area and low population) where are we now and where are you? Also, how is it that we can more or less sell out our stadium week in and week out (and did so in League One) while your ground remains half empty for most.of the season? In the Premier League Carrow Road is clearly not big enough and therefore not fit for purpose.
Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:50 - Apr 30 with 4682 viewsSpruceMoose

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:46 - Apr 30 by Griller

I think this is probably the most ridiculous post I have ever seen on TWTD. No Club would ever make a conscious decision to become a yo-yo as you put it - clearly the long-term solution would be to develop a team capable of remaining in the Premier League. If en route to to achieving that aim there are a few ups and downs on the way then so be it.
As to your second appraisal if indeed we do have the same ££ problem as Ipswich (you suggest a low wage area and low population) where are we now and where are you? Also, how is it that we can more or less sell out our stadium week in and week out (and did so in League One) while your ground remains half empty for most.of the season? In the Premier League Carrow Road is clearly not big enough and therefore not fit for purpose.

So you'll be burning it down, collecting insurance money and building another right?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:51 - Apr 30 with 4668 viewsSteve_M

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:45 - Apr 30 by chicoazul

Plus they are now basically set up for the next 5 years at least if they do things right which unfortunately, they probably will.

Still say the 9-0 is in danger at the Etihad next season though!

Well, they almost blew it from their previous four years int he Premier. Had they not sold Madison and gone up now they would have had to cut back considerably - it's their equivalent of 2004-05 but they didn't feck it up.

Not sure how they'll do, think both them and Sheffield United will find it hard but that doesn't mean either or both will go down.

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:52 - Apr 30 with 4669 viewsSteve_M

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:40 - Apr 30 by Townly

Why do we have to console ourselves by turning promotion from the Championship into a negative?

Sure it is tough, but I wouldn't mind seeing Liverpool at Portman Road or getting that debt of ours paid off. To say nothing of all the exposure, worldwide.

Look, no-one thinks this is any more convincing than 'taking' the pub you were designated anyway.

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:54 - Apr 30 with 4643 viewschicoazul

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:51 - Apr 30 by Steve_M

Well, they almost blew it from their previous four years int he Premier. Had they not sold Madison and gone up now they would have had to cut back considerably - it's their equivalent of 2004-05 but they didn't feck it up.

Not sure how they'll do, think both them and Sheffield United will find it hard but that doesn't mean either or both will go down.

Exactly, they have experienced it now and you dont imagine they will make the same mistakes again, although never say never haha.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:56 - Apr 30 with 4635 viewsSteve_M

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:54 - Apr 30 by chicoazul

Exactly, they have experienced it now and you dont imagine they will make the same mistakes again, although never say never haha.

To think how many of them wanted wanted Farke out eight months ago....

And although the structure is a proper footballing one, it's hard to see their season going as it did had they lost to us and panicked.

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:58 - Apr 30 with 4621 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:58 - Apr 30 by SE1blue

With any newly promoted team, it always seems the less changes you make the better - bar a couple of experienced heads that are better than what you currently have. So, the possibility of minimal spending in the Premiership might benefit them long term.

I can't see Palace or Bournemouth struggling as they have too much strength and depth in their squads. Brighton might wobble but Dyche has got Burnley back on track.

If it's Villa that go up with Norwich and Sheff Utd, I think Norwich will be in trouble.

So much of your PL season depends on how you get going at the start and who stays fit.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 13:59]

I agree with a lot of that but think it’s a bit simplistic to just assume the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and Palace will be fine

Recent PL history is full of teams that stagnate and eventually regress and they all fit that bill. Not saying they’ll all definitely struggle but it’s not difficult to envisage where it could go wrong for each of them:

Bournemouth - recruited poorly for years (Brooks being the notable exception), likely to lose Fraser and possibly Wilson who would be tough to replace
Palace - looks probably Zaha will leave and they’re a shadow of themselves without him. Hodgson would probably lose his job if they start poorly - could easily end up going wrong
Burnley - mix of above, haven’t bought well and seem to have been worked out by a lot of the division. Pressure could build on Dyche with a poor start

Agree that Villa going up would make things more difficult for them - think they have the squad, resources and reputation to kick on. Same with Leeds
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 14:58]

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 15:10 - Apr 30 with 4565 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:58 - Apr 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I agree with a lot of that but think it’s a bit simplistic to just assume the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and Palace will be fine

Recent PL history is full of teams that stagnate and eventually regress and they all fit that bill. Not saying they’ll all definitely struggle but it’s not difficult to envisage where it could go wrong for each of them:

Bournemouth - recruited poorly for years (Brooks being the notable exception), likely to lose Fraser and possibly Wilson who would be tough to replace
Palace - looks probably Zaha will leave and they’re a shadow of themselves without him. Hodgson would probably lose his job if they start poorly - could easily end up going wrong
Burnley - mix of above, haven’t bought well and seem to have been worked out by a lot of the division. Pressure could build on Dyche with a poor start

Agree that Villa going up would make things more difficult for them - think they have the squad, resources and reputation to kick on. Same with Leeds
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 14:58]

At any one time the Premier League has 10-12 teams that could potentially go down with a few injuries to key players.

The top six are safe as are 4/5 other clubs who have a good year or don't have a bad one, this time around Wolves, Watford, West Ham, Leicester and Everton.

Norwich will be one of those teams up against it. If they recruit well and bring in 3 or 4 decent players they will be fine. I actually think we may get lucky because as good as Pukki has been, he's not about pace or power but more movement and clever thinking but this is something that Premier League defenders have in addition to pace and power that serves you well at Championship level.

I think Norwich will go with the main players who got them there and I don't see most of them as being good enough to make a real impact higher up. The likes of Lewis could go on to replicate Wan-Bissaka, but the likes of Stieperman, Buendia and Vrancic I think will find it very tough when they are constantly out of possession as they will be at that level.

They will have to defend more and they have conceded 56 goals (Fulham were 48 and Cardiff and Wolves were 38) last year. They potentially need an entirely new defence in the Premier League to have any chance and then they seem to have a lot of flair players in attack who don't necessarily do the hard graft.

Our best chance of them being the whipping boys may be them sticking with the players that got them up and a bad early fixture list.

In the same way the likes of Harrison, Edwards and co failed to hit the ground running, they have nobody really except Krul who has played at the top level.

If they got Liverpool (a), Man City (h), Wolves (h), Leicester (a) for example, it could destroy confidence, which is no doubt why they will get Newcastle (h), Brighton (a), Sheffield United (a) and Southampton (h).
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 15:16]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

If you don't like it.... on 15:40 - Apr 30 with 4469 viewsBloots

....then sod off, you gin soaked old tramp.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 15:49 - Apr 30 with 4403 viewsArnieM

I didn’t realise scum would have gone into administration last season if they hadn’t sold their midfielder to Leicester for £25m . Kept that quiet didn’t they !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

For christ's sake love.... on 15:50 - Apr 30 with 4400 viewsBloots

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 14:40 - Apr 30 by Townly

....are you still persisting with this?

Surely you should be celebrating your promotion with your own kind rather than coming on here?

Now's the time to come out and be proud, not continue to pretend to support us.

You weirdo.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 15:53 - Apr 30 with 4376 viewsActionMan

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 13:48 - Apr 30 by ActionMan

They'll make a profit either way - I don't think they are going to be crying about being a top tier team again! Meanwhile we're about to play Chambers and Skuse with a bunch of U23's and expect to be a Championship side again!

I know what i'd rather have...

What's a matter Owain G, do you honestly think we're in a better position than they are?
Tough season ahead for Norwich on 15:56 - Apr 30 with 4363 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Dear Griller,

I have tried to see Norwich fans as the same as us and any other fans but you are just such an odd, illogical bunch that I really do struggle to see what planet the majority of you are on.

Norwich fans banged on about history didn't matter for years when we had achieved things you had not and claimed it was all about the hear and now. Yet last season, after we finished above you, it suddenly changed from the hear and now league position to being all about crowds. Weirdly though, you also banged on about recent history and dominance over us. It seems history does count when it's in your favour. But only the little period of dominance you had.

Let me tell you about crowds. Sunderland in the third tier had over 40,000 on Saturday to watch the likes of Aiden McGeady. Bournemouth have 11,000 to watch actual England internationals play. Attendances mean absolutely nothing but if you want to look at support then at least follow some proper statistical analysis.

Is it more impressive for Ipswich Town to get 17,000 against Swansea after we've been relegated in the worst season we have ever had, one of the worst any Championship side any team has ever had, or for Norwich to get 24,000 in their season when they went down - nearly ALL of whom were season ticket holders who had expected you to bounce straight back up into the Premier League?

Well done on a great season. You've played some wonderful football and deserve to be promoted to the top tier, something we've also achieved on a number of occasions. Only when we went up we did something. Like in 1961/62 when we were Champions of England, to 2000/01 when we qualified for Europe. Your promotions seem to result in trying to beat the bottom sides and just staying up. What excitement.

Your dominance over us has coincided with our promotion in 2000 being scarcely rewarded and our relegation being timed with the collapse of ITV Digital. Your promotion however coincided with the riches of the Premier League, parachute money and all that. You don't get to pretend that you did anything different to us. You just got lucky with the timing that you achieved the exact same success we did.

We are now in League One. Just like you were a decade ago. So no moral high ground to be claimed here either. We went down as one of the smallest clubs in the division financially. You went down with parachute money coming out of your a***.

If you want to enjoy the hear and now then great. You are two divisions above us. But two years ago we were three divisions above Lincoln and now they are in our league. Luton were in the Conference yet will be in League One. Yeovil were in the Championship 5 years back and are now non league.

The hear and now ALWAYS changes. What we always have though is the achievements and the memories and the success, of which you've had nothing.

So until you actually, finally do something notable in the world of football …. pipe down x

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

If you don't like it.... on 15:57 - Apr 30 with 4346 viewschicoazul

If you don't like it.... on 15:40 - Apr 30 by Bloots

....then sod off, you gin soaked old tramp.

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 16:00 - Apr 30 with 4334 viewsgiant_stow

Tough season ahead for Norwich on 15:56 - Apr 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Dear Griller,

I have tried to see Norwich fans as the same as us and any other fans but you are just such an odd, illogical bunch that I really do struggle to see what planet the majority of you are on.

Norwich fans banged on about history didn't matter for years when we had achieved things you had not and claimed it was all about the hear and now. Yet last season, after we finished above you, it suddenly changed from the hear and now league position to being all about crowds. Weirdly though, you also banged on about recent history and dominance over us. It seems history does count when it's in your favour. But only the little period of dominance you had.

Let me tell you about crowds. Sunderland in the third tier had over 40,000 on Saturday to watch the likes of Aiden McGeady. Bournemouth have 11,000 to watch actual England internationals play. Attendances mean absolutely nothing but if you want to look at support then at least follow some proper statistical analysis.

Is it more impressive for Ipswich Town to get 17,000 against Swansea after we've been relegated in the worst season we have ever had, one of the worst any Championship side any team has ever had, or for Norwich to get 24,000 in their season when they went down - nearly ALL of whom were season ticket holders who had expected you to bounce straight back up into the Premier League?

Well done on a great season. You've played some wonderful football and deserve to be promoted to the top tier, something we've also achieved on a number of occasions. Only when we went up we did something. Like in 1961/62 when we were Champions of England, to 2000/01 when we qualified for Europe. Your promotions seem to result in trying to beat the bottom sides and just staying up. What excitement.

Your dominance over us has coincided with our promotion in 2000 being scarcely rewarded and our relegation being timed with the collapse of ITV Digital. Your promotion however coincided with the riches of the Premier League, parachute money and all that. You don't get to pretend that you did anything different to us. You just got lucky with the timing that you achieved the exact same success we did.

We are now in League One. Just like you were a decade ago. So no moral high ground to be claimed here either. We went down as one of the smallest clubs in the division financially. You went down with parachute money coming out of your a***.

If you want to enjoy the hear and now then great. You are two divisions above us. But two years ago we were three divisions above Lincoln and now they are in our league. Luton were in the Conference yet will be in League One. Yeovil were in the Championship 5 years back and are now non league.

The hear and now ALWAYS changes. What we always have though is the achievements and the memories and the success, of which you've had nothing.

So until you actually, finally do something notable in the world of football …. pipe down x

I for one hear you.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024