Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Commute 13:35 - Apr 30 with 3092 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Starting a new role in London, means having to commute from Witham each day (40 Mins on train) then a 15 minute tube from Liverpool Street.

Any London commuters on here have any handy hints or tips for surviving what I imagine to be mayhem at rush hour?

After 20 years I am quite used to the air-con and seclusion my car based commute currently offers!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

London Commute on 13:40 - Apr 30 with 3042 viewssotd78

Start early; finish early. Get to your return journey train in good time.
Witham will be fine for the morning.
Walk or cycle from Liverpool Street - avoid the tube if you can.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

London Commute on 13:40 - Apr 30 with 3046 viewsSE1blue

1. Don't be a backpack w***ker - take it off your back if you're on a train or outside in a busy area
2. Wear trainers and keep your shoes in the office
3. Take water every day
4. Don't be afraid to ask people to remove their bag/feet/coat etc off an empty seat (this won't exist though)
5. Headphones or a good book will save some of your sanity.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

London Commute on 13:43 - Apr 30 with 3029 viewsSteve_M

Yes, that might be hard to get used to but depends how you use the time. I only commuted for five months years ago before I moved to London but if you don't hate Greater Anglia already you soon will.

It always used to be the case that getting to Liverpool Street before 08:30 meant the tube was ok, whereas five minutes later it was awful, It'll probably take some experimentation to work out what works best.

Main advice though is to find your way between Liverpool Street and work without using the tube,. The tube might still be your best option daily but knowing alternatives, including on foot or bus, will help when there are delays (far easier now that the chaos of a tube strike 20 years ago in pre-mobile data days).
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 13:58]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

London Commute on 13:53 - Apr 30 with 2978 viewsReuser_is_God

I've spent the last 4 years having 1 day a week in London.

Always walk from Liverpool St if you can. The tube is horrendous in rush hour & there is a good chance it'll be a nice walk (depending on where you're working!)

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

London Commute on 13:55 - Apr 30 with 2965 viewsSpruceMoose

London Commute on 13:40 - Apr 30 by SE1blue

1. Don't be a backpack w***ker - take it off your back if you're on a train or outside in a busy area
2. Wear trainers and keep your shoes in the office
3. Take water every day
4. Don't be afraid to ask people to remove their bag/feet/coat etc off an empty seat (this won't exist though)
5. Headphones or a good book will save some of your sanity.

Don't be eating no stinking food on the train.

I second the headphones. Audiobooks are a good way to feel like you're converting that dead commute time into something useful. And it keeps all of the terrible people out of your ears.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

London Commute on 13:56 - Apr 30 with 2961 viewsvapour_trail

What is initially seemingly horrendous will soon come to seem normal.

Music is essential.

And always remember, everyone around you is your mortal enemy.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

London Commute on 13:57 - Apr 30 with 2950 viewsLord_Lucan

To be fair I think there are worse commutes.

get into audiobooks

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

London Commute on 13:58 - Apr 30 with 2945 viewsSpruceMoose

London Commute on 13:56 - Apr 30 by vapour_trail

Music is essential.

The sooner you appreciate getting to work is a battle you must win, the happier you will be. There's a certain thrill, after doing it long enough, from watching the train doors close in someones face as they run for the train.

Basically, it turns you into a massive wanger.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

London Commute on 14:09 - Apr 30 with 2896 viewschicoazul

It's nothing like as bad as you think. I did it for 6 years, the same exact route as you. If you get an early enough train (pre-0730 ish) you will get a seat no problem. The trains hardly ever go wrong BUT when they do they go completely wrong as there are only two lines, so have a think about cancelling your local social life from Monday - Thursday (you will want to be out on the beer with your London colleagues on a Friday and even if you dont *want* to, you still should go). If you can avoid the tube section and walk instead then I recommend you do.
Enjoy it. Working and commuting in London is like nothing else you have ever done.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2019 14:11]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

London Commute on 14:13 - Apr 30 with 2882 viewsSE1blue

London Commute on 13:58 - Apr 30 by SpruceMoose

The sooner you appreciate getting to work is a battle you must win, the happier you will be. There's a certain thrill, after doing it long enough, from watching the train doors close in someones face as they run for the train.

Add to this...

People who run onto a tube on a wet day and slip over on the shiny floor.

People who don't hold on when a tube starts and then end up falling onto someones lap (in a comically awkward British style) or they are rear ended by an armrest and spend the next few stops pretending it didn't hurt.

My personal favourite was a guy who had his coffee balanced on his knee, whilst he sorted out his headphones. The train jolted, he grabbed his coffee too firmly and the lid popped off as he crushed his drink, spraying the person next to him with hot coffee. The aftermath was as entertaining as the event.

London Commute on 14:20 - Apr 30 with 2854 viewsgiant_stow

all the advice above is good, but clearly from a 'yokel comes to town angle'. alternatively, you could do what london natives do and ignore your commute - switch off and pretend it isn't happening. With time and practise, this will help.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

London Commute on 14:22 - Apr 30 with 2845 viewsSpruceMoose

Anyone downvoting this is probably some chublord, who has huffed and puffed down the platform plenty too times just to miss their train!

London Commute on 14:34 - Apr 30 with 2811 viewsSE1blue

London Commute on 14:22 - Apr 30 by SpruceMoose

Anyone downvoting this is probably some chublord, who has huffed and puffed down the platform plenty too times just to miss their train!

Or don't understand that it's the stuff that happens on your commute that makes you primeval.

Like having to listen to Wayne and Elaine discussing what they're going to have for dinner via mobile.

Wayne: Hi baba, just calling to see what you want for dinner?
Pause whilst Wayne listens open mouthed.
Wayne: I dunno. We had spag bog last night though.
More open mouthed silence.
Wayne: But I don't like pesto
Listening.
Wayne: What about those fancy things...
Listening.
Wayne: No, in Morrisons.

and so on for 30 monotone minutes.

Or they've never endured someone clipping, filing and then painting their nails next to them.

Doors closing on people are moments of pure delight..the less trouble on your train the better.

London Commute on 14:45 - Apr 30 with 2780 viewsSpruceMoose

London Commute on 14:34 - Apr 30 by SE1blue

Or don't understand that it's the stuff that happens on your commute that makes you primeval.

Like having to listen to Wayne and Elaine discussing what they're going to have for dinner via mobile.

Wayne: Hi baba, just calling to see what you want for dinner?
Pause whilst Wayne listens open mouthed.
Wayne: I dunno. We had spag bog last night though.
More open mouthed silence.
Wayne: But I don't like pesto
Listening.
Wayne: What about those fancy things...
Listening.
Wayne: No, in Morrisons.

and so on for 30 monotone minutes.

Or they've never endured someone clipping, filing and then painting their nails next to them.

Doors closing on people are moments of pure delight..the less trouble on your train the better.

For an extra treat, an extra surly conductor will, I'm quite sure deliberately, close the doors on somebody trying to hold them open by thrusting a handbag or briefcase into the closing doors.

We then get a thirty second tug of war with the perp trying to pull their arm out from the door while everyone looks on with venom that they've delayed their trip to work.

Not London based, but there is an Instagram account called SubwayCreatures which details the weird and wonderful happenings on the New York Subway.

This is a good one - https://www.instagram.com/p/BwAl_YuAvkM/

This takes some beating though - https://www.instagram.com/p/BvCBN_UATAo/

Anyway, OP, you have all this to look forward. Certainly more exhilarating than catch the number 13 from Chantry to Tower Ramparts.

London Commute on 15:32 - Apr 30 with 2713 viewsGlebeTractor

Exactly this, or the guy who gets on late, and his rucksack gets stuck and ****s himself, before the driver decides he should probably open the doors again before he leaves...

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

London Commute on 15:44 - Apr 30 with 2672 viewsSpruceMoose

London Commute on 15:32 - Apr 30 by GlebeTractor

Exactly this, or the guy who gets on late, and his rucksack gets stuck and ****s himself, before the driver decides he should probably open the doors again before he leaves...

There's a special place in hell for people who get on the train and stand in the door way. Move into the middle of the carriage so other people can get on you buttplug.

And let people off first before you barge your way on.

London Commute on 16:03 - Apr 30 with 2639 viewshampstead_blue

London Commute on 13:56 - Apr 30 by vapour_trail

Music is essential.

your message is both sad and true.

Accepting the commute as 'normal' makes me shudder.

Everyone IS your mortal enemy. Never give up our seat. It is worth more than promotion......unless you are sat in a disabled seat and someone genuine needs it. You will feel the burn of hatred from those around you if you do that.

Audiobooks are a link to life. The Great Courses is my fave.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

London Commute on 16:06 - Apr 30 with 2628 viewsSpruceMoose

London Commute on 16:03 - Apr 30 by hampstead_blue

your message is both sad and true.

Accepting the commute as 'normal' makes me shudder.

Everyone IS your mortal enemy. Never give up our seat. It is worth more than promotion......unless you are sat in a disabled seat and someone genuine needs it. You will feel the burn of hatred from those around you if you do that.

Audiobooks are a link to life. The Great Courses is my fave.

Wait, weren't you in the army? Everyone opposite you was literally your mortal enemy!

London Commute on 16:14 - Apr 30 with 2608 viewsSwansea_Blue

Best advice I can offer is don't do a London commute. Might be a bit late for that though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

London Commute on 16:37 - Apr 30 with 2583 viewshampstead_blue

London Commute on 16:06 - Apr 30 by SpruceMoose

Wait, weren't you in the army? Everyone opposite you was literally your mortal enemy!

I was and yes sometimes they were. I've also lived until recently in London for too long.

I still never sat on that chair though.....I would burn in hell if I did that.......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

London Commute on 18:11 - Apr 30 with 2512 viewsKeaneish

Noise cancelling headphones.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

London Commute on 19:39 - Apr 30 with 2450 viewsOxford_Blue

Yours doesn’t sound too bad.

I assume the money is worth it and you can get a decent house.

Counts for a lot.

try to get a day at home if you can
London Commute on 19:53 - Apr 30 with 2433 viewsghostofescobar

For the train, Netflix and iPlayer. Life savers. Use the time to watch things you don't get the time to at home. For Liv St, head down, don't make eye contact, but don't bump into anyone and tut loudly in your head if anyone bumps into you, but outwardly just say "sorry".

GhostOfEscobar

London Commute on 21:20 - Apr 30 with 2343 viewsColin_Viljoen

My sons mate runs the coffee bar outside the station, get a nice cup of coffee every morning before you board the train!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024