Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MYTH BUSTING 22:48 - Apr 30 with 2053 viewsunstableblue

1. In the play-off season of 14/15 we did not get goals from a long ball style, only 3 or 4 goals from the on form Murphy were from long distribution, the majority were from his individual brilliance and a large amount from corners,

2. Our demise is not all down to Hurst... Evans allowed Hurst to destroy the quality of our attack and gamble on lower league strikers... but Hurst also inherited a team that had no established right back despite this being a problem for seasons, loaners leaving left us exposed in key positions, players had been drilled to play in a conservative way, senior players failed to transition and the team was reliant loanees and was carrying long term injuries

3. Success in this league is all about money... no it’s not, it’s about a progressive manager playing a progressive system and making astute purchases - the Blades are the proof before us, but also look at what Preston are doing on a shoe string. At the extreme is Ajax - system, ethos, coaching, £40m budget

4. Mick was a sh!t manager... no he was an astute and relatively nice guy, who chose the most conservative path to keep a team of a lower quality than he was used to in a safe position. The problem was every team that came to Portman Road was playing better football than us - top teams, middle teams and lower teams.... and that was not sustainable from a fan base perspective. Then his ego and belligerence took over

5. Lambert just needs a pre-season... no Lambert needs to settle on a system that makes the best use of his players and will be effective in League One... he is failing to make the best use of Judge and Jackson right now

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

MYTH BUSTING on 22:55 - Apr 30 with 2005 viewsHerbivore

Why are you still obsessing over Mick? We've had two managers since he left.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

MYTH BUSTING on 22:55 - Apr 30 with 2010 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

These are hardly myths, I think many people would agree on the majority of those points.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

MYTH BUSTING on 22:55 - Apr 30 with 2006 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think you've made up some of your own Myths to bust ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

MYTH BUSTING on 23:03 - Apr 30 with 1972 viewssparks

What a crock.

1. Corners come, very often, from long balls and percentage football. Also- citation needed.
2. Evans allowed a football manager to make football management decisions. Undoubtedly the team was reliant on loans and ageing injury prone players. That was not Evans doing though- it was MMs.
3. Success isnt just about money. But it is a significant factor. Ajaz operate in a different market. Sheffield had a net spend of 5m in the last financial year and a wage bill similar to ours.
4. This is a straw man
5. This makes no sense. A pre season, with a clear plan may well entail precisely what you describe.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

MYTH BUSTING on 23:39 - Apr 30 with 1890 viewssparks

MYTH BUSTING on 23:03 - Apr 30 by sparks

What a crock.

1. Corners come, very often, from long balls and percentage football. Also- citation needed.
2. Evans allowed a football manager to make football management decisions. Undoubtedly the team was reliant on loans and ageing injury prone players. That was not Evans doing though- it was MMs.
3. Success isnt just about money. But it is a significant factor. Ajaz operate in a different market. Sheffield had a net spend of 5m in the last financial year and a wage bill similar to ours.
4. This is a straw man
5. This makes no sense. A pre season, with a clear plan may well entail precisely what you describe.

Ahh good old herbivore with the random downvoting but a complete absence of reasoned fact-based argument.

All is well with the world.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

MYTH BUSTING on 00:16 - May 1 with 1836 viewsJ2BLUE

MYTH BUSTING on 23:39 - Apr 30 by sparks

Ahh good old herbivore with the random downvoting but a complete absence of reasoned fact-based argument.

All is well with the world.

Herbivore loves a downvote and not bothering to reply. It's how you know you've beaten him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

MYTH BUSTING on 01:57 - May 1 with 1783 viewsMrTown

MYTH BUSTING on 22:55 - Apr 30 by TRUE_BLUE123

These are hardly myths, I think many people would agree on the majority of those points.

Was thinking the exact same thing as I was reading it.

Along with, why have they posted this.
[Post edited 1 May 2019 1:57]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

MYTH BUSTING on 02:18 - May 1 with 1762 viewsMrTown

I do not understand why you have posted the first 4 points, don’t even think are myths. I think most people regard MM as a good manager overall, although performed poor in his final 18 months.

Your final point is surely intertwined with a good pre season. Think PL will settle on a system for the season. A good manager gets the best out the players he has at his disposal, the diamond is the best way to get the best out of Bishop/Nolan/Judge who will be influential in League 1, as well as having 2 strikers. But surely that’s all part of his pre season?

Login to get fewer ads

MYTH BUSTING on 07:50 - May 1 with 1599 viewsHerbivore

MYTH BUSTING on 00:16 - May 1 by J2BLUE

Herbivore loves a downvote and not bothering to reply. It's how you know you've beaten him.

Sparks has me on ignore so there's no point replying to him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

MYTH BUSTING on 07:57 - May 1 with 1575 viewsSteve_M

To add to your point one, McGoldrick was brilliant for the first half of that season as well.

On 2, Iorfa and Spence interchanged that position well enough last season. Yes, one was on loan but it didn't need an expensive signing to provide competition for Spence. Evans giving each manager free reign has been the biggest problem of his time here, only McCarthy has done a good job here.

3, The league is increasingly stratified by money though. Sheffield United over-achieved against their wage bill last season and will have done this but I suspect their wage bill is now far in excess of ours - Madine as third or fourth choice striker will not be cheap. Wilder has done an excellent job but, as Mick shows, over-acheiving for a couple of seasons is one thing, doing it for a longer period is harder.

4. Please review this in contect of the first half of last season, most of 2014-15 and that crazy month at the start of 2015-16 when MM tried to change the style of play (probably his biggest failing here imo).

5. What if the best use of Jackson is as a sub? The last month has been a mess after we had looked like we had settled on something. Partly, that's PL trying out different players but the overall sense of direction is lacking. That is essential for August but we'll be slow doing transfer business as usual and be scratching around as the season starts - that happens far too often.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

MYTH BUSTING on 08:05 - May 1 with 1547 viewsunstableblue

MYTH BUSTING on 01:57 - May 1 by MrTown

Was thinking the exact same thing as I was reading it.

Along with, why have they posted this.
[Post edited 1 May 2019 1:57]

Firstly - If only you and True Blue were correct... all of those of items have had at least one misguided thread on them and fairly recently. And their are posters who vehemently support those theories.

For example:

Do people actually care about the style of football by TRUE_BLUE123 28 Apr 2019 16:41
I don't understand the love in with sexy football. People think it is more enjoyable but winning games is enjoyable.

When the Cowleys names were brought up after MIck went people said no because of style of football being too long ball etc.

This isn't a Mick in post he had to go for many reasons other than the football. Watching the Burnley game made me think there is nothing wrong with Long ball.

Secondly - I’d had a few beers when I wrote it, and it is deranged rambling

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

MYTH BUSTING on 08:51 - May 1 with 1449 viewsMrTown

MYTH BUSTING on 08:05 - May 1 by unstableblue

Firstly - If only you and True Blue were correct... all of those of items have had at least one misguided thread on them and fairly recently. And their are posters who vehemently support those theories.

For example:

Do people actually care about the style of football by TRUE_BLUE123 28 Apr 2019 16:41
I don't understand the love in with sexy football. People think it is more enjoyable but winning games is enjoyable.

When the Cowleys names were brought up after MIck went people said no because of style of football being too long ball etc.

This isn't a Mick in post he had to go for many reasons other than the football. Watching the Burnley game made me think there is nothing wrong with Long ball.

That post from True Blue is stating he had no problem with long balls. Yours is stating we didn’t play long ball football in 14/15, there is no correlation there?

On your second point of having a few beers, no problem with that, we’ve all done it!

MYTH BUSTING on 09:29 - May 1 with 1378 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

MYTH BUSTING on 08:05 - May 1 by unstableblue

For example:

I am struggling to see the correlation between my post and your post.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024