Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there any point.... 12:15 - May 1 with 6814 viewschicoazul

.....in having an Academy now?

Given the amount of money that swims around the game now surely, if the young players we build are any good, they will do a Charlie Brown or a Ben Knight? People will say, well we have lots of young players coming through now. Well, we just got relegated. So what does that say about those young players?

However many millions the Academy costs might we be better in investing that into a scouting network?

Worth a think boyos.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is there any point.... on 15:15 - May 1 with 684 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is there any point.... on 13:58 - May 1 by ITFC_Forever

Osborne didn't scout Mings.

Osman did.

;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is there any point.... on 15:18 - May 1 with 687 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is there any point.... on 13:01 - May 1 by maccyd9

The only one of those we are doing is squad fillers which I'm absolutely certain is in no way what the club will be hoping to produce from the Academy.

Of course it's important to try and be in the community and produce your own players but we are a sitting duck.

Brentford have abandoned their academy for the very same reasons and I'm sure many more will follow.

If the academy isnt producing any decent players, I can assume that you would be happy if Bishop, Lankester, Downes, Dozzell, Nydam and El Mizouni are all released this summer on free's?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is there any point.... on 15:28 - May 1 with 674 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is there any point.... on 14:07 - May 1 by ElephantintheRoom

You could have Pope in goal - good enough for England - just not good enough for Ipswich

Ryan Bennett too!

Is there any point.... on 16:07 - May 1 with 646 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is there any point.... on 13:03 - May 1 by Guthrum

The Academy is a scouting network, for potential future talent. It's at least as reliable as any other type in identifying genuine talent (within the budgetary contraints we have). McCarthy was good at finding undervalued players and he still had quite a high failure rate.

We might lose those who are seen as the very top prospects (and we do get a fair bit of money for them, considering how unproven they are), but we can hang onto the pretty good (e.g. Downes, Lankester) who are certainly not to blame for our relegation this season.

Spot on.

Is there any point.... on 16:21 - May 1 with 636 viewsGuthrum

Is there any point.... on 14:41 - May 1 by maccyd9

The question was, what would the cost be, not would there be a cost.

The answer is still similar. Very little cost imo. Maybe we simply wouldn't have loaned Nydam out.

No academy, no Nydam either.

Without an Academy, we'd have been a bit stuffed in the Cup game against Palace last season, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is there any point.... on 16:48 - May 1 with 605 viewschicoazul

Is there any point.... on 12:59 - May 1 by itfcjoe

Free transfer's don't cost nothing - if they are in demand there is a big signing on fee, plus higher wages because there has been no fee.

Come on, I am sure you know what I mean when I say "nothing"

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Is there any point.... on 16:49 - May 1 with 603 viewschicoazul

Is there any point.... on 14:14 - May 1 by BiGDonnie

You sound like a child with this sh!t lad. Grow up.

Hey im just helping him out, I wouldnt want him to think I was rudely ignoring his posts.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024