Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? 12:23 - May 1 with 5035 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've used Opodo before, anymore for anymore?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 12:30 - May 1 with 3944 viewsbluelagos

Skyscanner.
Norwegian air have some good deals atm.
STA.

Offsetting the carbon worth considering too :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 12:44 - May 1 with 3921 viewskizaitfc

The general google flight searcher in pretty useful

That and Kayak both offer good comparisons on dates and let you know if you are paying above the average

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 12:51 - May 1 with 3905 viewsnoggin

A few years ago, we flew BA from Stavanger, via Heathrow, to Miami. It was considerably cheaper than if we had just taken the Heathrow to Miami flight. I don't know if this is common but it's true.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 13:26 - May 1 with 3878 viewsStokieBlue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 12:51 - May 1 by noggin

A few years ago, we flew BA from Stavanger, via Heathrow, to Miami. It was considerably cheaper than if we had just taken the Heathrow to Miami flight. I don't know if this is common but it's true.

People actually use that trick to get flights to the first destination and then not use the second leg - hacker fares.

The airlines hate it though and are trying to stop it.

SB
[Post edited 1 May 2019 13:28]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 13:58 - May 1 with 3829 viewsIpswichKnight

Go from Dublin,

Get a cheap flight to Dublin and book your flight Dublin-USA-Dublin even with a hotel stay overnight in dublin it will be much cheaper than flying from the UK. You also get to clear US customs and immigration in Dublin.
Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:03 - May 1 with 3816 viewsitfcjoe

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 13:26 - May 1 by StokieBlue

People actually use that trick to get flights to the first destination and then not use the second leg - hacker fares.

The airlines hate it though and are trying to stop it.

SB
[Post edited 1 May 2019 13:28]

How does that work Stokie? I assume the 2 flights have a longer first leg to the flight

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:05 - May 1 with 3809 viewsitfcjoe

Skyscanner good.

Is your desitnation or dates fixed? If dates aren't fixed you can do a calendar search to see which dates cheapest which helps

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:06 - May 1 with 3804 viewsPinewoodblue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 13:58 - May 1 by IpswichKnight

Go from Dublin,

Get a cheap flight to Dublin and book your flight Dublin-USA-Dublin even with a hotel stay overnight in dublin it will be much cheaper than flying from the UK. You also get to clear US customs and immigration in Dublin.

no Air Passenger Tax in Ireland. Used also to be cheaper to fly from ....via Amsterdam but depends on your final destination. generally speaking there is a wider choice of gateway airports if you travel from UK.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:16 - May 1 with 3775 viewsStokieBlue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:03 - May 1 by itfcjoe

How does that work Stokie? I assume the 2 flights have a longer first leg to the flight

Say you want to get from London to New York.

It's possible that a flight from London to LA which has a stop in New York is actually cheaper so people take that flight and then just don't board the second leg and stay in New York.

They aren't without risk and I've not done it (and probably wouldn't). Carriers can do all kinds of things as it's a breach of contract, they can charge you full whack, rescind your return flights without compensation etc.

It's up to the individual. I do think it's ridiculous it counts as a breach of contract, it's essentially highlighting how the airlines rip people off and how they are allowed to get away with it.

SB

Yep, fly with a sh1tty carrier :) on 14:18 - May 1 with 3762 viewsDyland

Google flight searcher is very good btw

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:23 - May 1 with 3750 viewsSpruceMoose

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 12:30 - May 1 by bluelagos

Skyscanner.
Norwegian air have some good deals atm.
STA.

Offsetting the carbon worth considering too :-)

Edit - balls. Saw Stokie had mentioned New York and assumed that was your destination. Where do you want to head to Dolly?

I have a little insight here.

Aer Lingus. Don't do it. Probably my worst flight experience. Kept the lights on full blast on an over night flight? WTF? Terrible service, shoddy food, tired plane. Never again. Only benefit is that you do your US entry stuff in Ireland, which can save you some time.

Norweigian is cheap. If you don't want food, or to take a bag. Add those fees in and they aren't so cheap anymore. Another issue with Norwegian is that, as friends of mine discovered, if something goes tats up with your flight they have very few flights a day to bump you onto. A delay can often be a lengthy one. Besides that, it's a bit like flying Ryanair for 7 hours. It's cheap, but extremely no frills.

Personally, Virgin usually gets my business. Competitive prices, and in my experience excellent customer service. They use Terminal 3 out of Heathrow, which is fine, and use Terminal 4 at JFK which is probably one of the better ones there. They also fly into Newark if that is more suitable.

Depending on your timeline, Iceland Air would allow you a night in Reykjavik if that appealed.
[Post edited 1 May 2019 14:28]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:26 - May 1 with 3730 viewsStokieBlue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:23 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

Edit - balls. Saw Stokie had mentioned New York and assumed that was your destination. Where do you want to head to Dolly?

Aer Lingus. Don't do it. Probably my worst flight experience. Kept the lights on full blast on an over night flight? WTF? Terrible service, shoddy food, tired plane. Never again. Only benefit is that you do your US entry stuff in Ireland, which can save you some time.

Norweigian is cheap. If you don't want food, or to take a bag. Add those fees in and they aren't so cheap anymore. Another issue with Norwegian is that, as friends of mine discovered, if something goes tats up with your flight they have very few flights a day to bump you onto. A delay can often be a lengthy one. Besides that, it's a bit like flying Ryanair for 7 hours. It's cheap, but extremely no frills.

Personally, Virgin usually gets my business. Competitive prices, and in my experience excellent customer service. They use Terminal 3 out of Heathrow, which is fine, and use Terminal 4 at JFK which is probably one of the better ones there. They also fly into Newark if that is more suitable.

Depending on your timeline, Iceland Air would allow you a night in Reykjavik if that appealed.

Good call, for direct flights in any class to the US, Virgin are the best in my opinion.

Just make sure it's not one of the flights operated by Delta.

SB
[Post edited 1 May 2019 14:27]

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:55 - May 1 with 3664 viewsIllinoisblue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 13:58 - May 1 by IpswichKnight

Go from Dublin,

that's a good shout; flew Aer Lingus a couple years ago Chicago - Dublin - London and it was about $300 cheaper per person. Which makes a big difference when the whole fam is going. The layover in Dublin was just enough to take a piss and stretch legs.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:57 - May 1 with 3658 viewsSpruceMoose

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:55 - May 1 by Illinoisblue

that's a good shout; flew Aer Lingus a couple years ago Chicago - Dublin - London and it was about $300 cheaper per person. Which makes a big difference when the whole fam is going. The layover in Dublin was just enough to take a piss and stretch legs.

Maybe I just had a really bad experience, but the whole airline seemed like it was being run by people of Father Dougal level intelligence!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 15:09 - May 1 with 3644 viewseireblue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:16 - May 1 by StokieBlue

Say you want to get from London to New York.

It's possible that a flight from London to LA which has a stop in New York is actually cheaper so people take that flight and then just don't board the second leg and stay in New York.

They aren't without risk and I've not done it (and probably wouldn't). Carriers can do all kinds of things as it's a breach of contract, they can charge you full whack, rescind your return flights without compensation etc.

It's up to the individual. I do think it's ridiculous it counts as a breach of contract, it's essentially highlighting how the airlines rip people off and how they are allowed to get away with it.

SB

I have been prevented from taking a return flight, because I didn’t take the outbound flight, for that reason. Even after doing the old school thing of confirming the flight a day before.

It was somewhat frustrating.
Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 15:10 - May 1 with 3638 viewsfactual_blue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 14:23 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

And MooseAir?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 15:13 - May 1 with 3630 viewsStokieBlue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 15:09 - May 1 by eireblue

I have been prevented from taking a return flight, because I didn’t take the outbound flight, for that reason. Even after doing the old school thing of confirming the flight a day before.

It was somewhat frustrating.

I think that's highly unfair.

It's the airlines who are fleecing the consumer by charging less for more because they know they can get away with charging more for less on the direct flight.

SB

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 15:29 - May 1 with 3582 viewsSpruceMoose

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 15:10 - May 1 by factual_blue

And MooseAir?

The perfect choice if you wish to fly Norwich Airport to Resolute Bay, Nunavut.

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:34 - May 1 with 3397 viewsBrixtonBlue

Thanks for the responses all.

I'm heading to New York. Flights aren't 100% fixed so looking at Opodo first off I've found cheaper days (my GF's brother-in-law also flies a fair bit and said it's cheaper to fly on a Wednesday if you can because it's an odd day for people to fly).

Anyway, found a return flight on days I want with Virgin for £337. Sounds pretty good to me.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:36 - May 1 with 3392 viewsSpruceMoose

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:34 - May 1 by BrixtonBlue

Thanks for the responses all.

I'm heading to New York. Flights aren't 100% fixed so looking at Opodo first off I've found cheaper days (my GF's brother-in-law also flies a fair bit and said it's cheaper to fly on a Wednesday if you can because it's an odd day for people to fly).

Anyway, found a return flight on days I want with Virgin for £337. Sounds pretty good to me.

Decent price. Nice work.

You heading over for a particular reason?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:41 - May 1 with 3380 viewscaught-in-limbo

Have you thought about flying from Canada, it's considerably cheaper?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:50 - May 1 with 3363 viewsiamipswich

Worth getting on Jack's Flight Club. Free and digs around for some incredibly cheap flights from weekend Euro getaways to heavily discounted flights to Australia and beyond. Sends a couple of emails a month with these deals and could be a gem.

Poll: Who will return first?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 18:07 - May 1 with 3339 viewscatch74

This thread reminded me - anyone been a courier before (think it was big in the eighties and gradually died a death) There’s a company called Airmule I’ve just found, says you can earn money on your flights?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 18:48 - May 1 with 3308 viewsBrixtonBlue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:50 - May 1 by iamipswich

Worth getting on Jack's Flight Club. Free and digs around for some incredibly cheap flights from weekend Euro getaways to heavily discounted flights to Australia and beyond. Sends a couple of emails a month with these deals and could be a gem.

Yeah I get those emails despite rarely flying.

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 18:49 - May 1 with 3305 viewsBrixtonBlue

Any tips for getting a cheap flight to America in June? on 17:36 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

Decent price. Nice work.

You heading over for a particular reason?

The misses is over there for a few weeks for work and suggested I join her for a few days nearer the end when she has free time.

Never been to America!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024