Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting 09:07 - May 2 with 2291 viewsStokieBlue

Especially given conspiracy theorists seem to have come to the fore on this site lately:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/02/why-we-are-addicted-to-conspirac

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:04 - May 2 with 2167 viewsBluesquid

Hehe, those pesky conspiracy nutjobs...oh and look it's from The Guardian.

"The Ministry of Defence turned large parts of the country into a giant laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public."

"A government report just released provides for the first time a comprehensive official history of Britain's biological weapons trials between 1940 and 1979. "

"Many of these tests involved releasing potentially dangerous chemicals and micro-organisms over vast swaths of the population without the public being told."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/apr/21/uk.medicalscience

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-the-british-government-subjec
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:08 - May 2 with 2160 viewsStokieBlue

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:04 - May 2 by Bluesquid

Hehe, those pesky conspiracy nutjobs...oh and look it's from The Guardian.

"The Ministry of Defence turned large parts of the country into a giant laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public."

"A government report just released provides for the first time a comprehensive official history of Britain's biological weapons trials between 1940 and 1979. "

"Many of these tests involved releasing potentially dangerous chemicals and micro-organisms over vast swaths of the population without the public being told."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/apr/21/uk.medicalscience

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/how-the-british-government-subjec

Not entirely sure what that has to do with anything?

SB

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:26 - May 2 with 2139 viewsBluesquid

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:08 - May 2 by StokieBlue

Not entirely sure what that has to do with anything?

SB

Turning large parts of the UK into a laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public and that military personnel were briefed to tell any 'inquisitive inquirer' the trials were part of research projects into weather and air pollution and then successive governments conspiring to keep details of the germ warfare tests secret and you ask what has that got to do with anything in a thread about conspiracy theorists?

lol, good one.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 14:28]
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:28 - May 2 with 2128 viewsSpruceMoose

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:26 - May 2 by Bluesquid

Turning large parts of the UK into a laboratory to conduct a series of secret germ warfare tests on the public and that military personnel were briefed to tell any 'inquisitive inquirer' the trials were part of research projects into weather and air pollution and then successive governments conspiring to keep details of the germ warfare tests secret and you ask what has that got to do with anything in a thread about conspiracy theorists?

lol, good one.

It would help if you actually explained what your point was though!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:35 - May 2 with 2112 viewsStokieBlue

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:26 - May 2 by Bluesquid

lol, good one.

Still none the wiser.

Are you implying that because a historic wrong was done that all conspiracy theories are valid?

It's a false premise if you are. It's also a ridiculous way to approach things.

SB

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:41 - May 2 with 2102 viewsBluesquid

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:35 - May 2 by StokieBlue

Still none the wiser.

Are you implying that because a historic wrong was done that all conspiracy theories are valid?

It's a false premise if you are. It's also a ridiculous way to approach things.

SB

So after reading those 2 articles do you agree then that some conspiracy theories are valid?
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:49 - May 2 with 2083 viewsStokieBlue

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:41 - May 2 by Bluesquid

So after reading those 2 articles do you agree then that some conspiracy theories are valid?

Those aren't conspiracy theories are they? It's something that happened and has been acknowledged.

"A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy, or secret plot by sinister and powerful actors, often political in motivation.[2][3] The term has a pejorative connotation, implying that the appeal to a conspiracy is based on prejudice or insufficient evidence.[4], when other explanations are more probable.[5] Conspiracy theories resist falsification and are reinforced by circular reasoning: both evidence against the conspiracy and an absence of evidence for it, are re-interpreted as evidence of its truth,[4][6] and the conspiracy becomes a matter of faith rather than proof.[7][8]"

This is the key part:

"Conspiracy theories resist falsification and are reinforced by circular reasoning: both evidence against the conspiracy and an absence of evidence for it, are re-interpreted as evidence of its truth"

SB

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:58 - May 2 with 2070 viewsBluesquid

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:49 - May 2 by StokieBlue

Those aren't conspiracy theories are they? It's something that happened and has been acknowledged.

"A conspiracy theory is an explanation of an event or situation that invokes a conspiracy, or secret plot by sinister and powerful actors, often political in motivation.[2][3] The term has a pejorative connotation, implying that the appeal to a conspiracy is based on prejudice or insufficient evidence.[4], when other explanations are more probable.[5] Conspiracy theories resist falsification and are reinforced by circular reasoning: both evidence against the conspiracy and an absence of evidence for it, are re-interpreted as evidence of its truth,[4][6] and the conspiracy becomes a matter of faith rather than proof.[7][8]"

This is the key part:

"Conspiracy theories resist falsification and are reinforced by circular reasoning: both evidence against the conspiracy and an absence of evidence for it, are re-interpreted as evidence of its truth"

SB

The goverment and the military initially conspired to lie to the public about germ warfare tests being carried out on the public and then successive governments conspired to keep details of the germ warfare tests secret.

It came out in the end but at the time they conspired and lied to the public and then continued to conspire in order to keep the details secret.

conspire
verb [ I ]
uk ​ /kənˈspaɪər/ us ​ /kənˈspaɪr/
​

to plan secretly with other people to do something bad, illegal, or against someone's wishes:

They conspired to carry out and keep secret over 100 covert experiments against the public.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 14:59]
Login to get fewer ads

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 15:01 - May 2 with 2057 viewseireblue

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 14:41 - May 2 by Bluesquid

What would be interesting, was there a contemporary allegation of a conspiracy that matched those experiments.
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 15:04 - May 2 with 2050 viewsBluesquid

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 15:01 - May 2 by eireblue

What would be interesting, was there a contemporary allegation of a conspiracy that matched those experiments.

Have a read of the article.
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 16:47 - May 2 with 1988 viewseireblue

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 15:04 - May 2 by Bluesquid

Have a read of the article.

I did.

That's why I posted that comment.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 16:47]
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:14 - May 2 with 1936 viewsBluesquid

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 16:47 - May 2 by eireblue

I did.

That's why I posted that comment.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 16:47]

"The local health authority has denied there is a cluster, but Orman believes otherwise. He said: 'I am convinced something terrible has happened. The village was a close-knit community and to have so many birth defects over such a short space of time has to be more than coincidence.'"

They were denied a public inquiry and the theories persisted.

On the whole though looking at that time frame i think the general public wholeheartedly trusted the government back then, thankfully and rightfully so that isn't the case today even with the existence of forum gatekeepers.
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:28 - May 2 with 1924 viewscaught-in-limbo

Sir Jimmy Savile OBE KCSG approves this thread.

[Post edited 2 May 2019 19:54]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:39 - May 2 with 1902 viewseireblue

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:14 - May 2 by Bluesquid

"The local health authority has denied there is a cluster, but Orman believes otherwise. He said: 'I am convinced something terrible has happened. The village was a close-knit community and to have so many birth defects over such a short space of time has to be more than coincidence.'"

They were denied a public inquiry and the theories persisted.

On the whole though looking at that time frame i think the general public wholeheartedly trusted the government back then, thankfully and rightfully so that isn't the case today even with the existence of forum gatekeepers.

That isn’t a contemporary allegation of a conspiracy theory.

That is someone calling for an inquirey after the fact.

My interest was if there was a contemporary allegation of a conspiracy, in the UK, matching the subsequently revealed facts.
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:52 - May 2 with 1885 viewsBluesquid

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:39 - May 2 by eireblue

My interest was if there was a contemporary allegation of a conspiracy, in the UK, matching the subsequently revealed facts.

"Many believe that the cause of their tragedy was a bleak day in 1963 when a ship called the Icewhale anchored off the coast. The ship was involved in secret MoD germ warfare experiments, to determine how far airborne bacteria would travel."

That was their theory.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/its-like-the-plague-say-germ-test-villagers-1
Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:54 - May 2 with 1883 viewsSpruceMoose

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:52 - May 2 by Bluesquid

"Many believe that the cause of their tragedy was a bleak day in 1963 when a ship called the Icewhale anchored off the coast. The ship was involved in secret MoD germ warfare experiments, to determine how far airborne bacteria would travel."

That was their theory.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/its-like-the-plague-say-germ-test-villagers-1

Yeah, I don't think you're really following his point too well.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 19:40 - May 2 with 1849 viewscaught-in-limbo

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:39 - May 2 by eireblue

There's nothing wrong with Squid's example of a conspiracy theory as far as I can see.

There was also that one where loads of nasty people on numerous salacious internet sites accused loveable entertainer, charity fundraiser and BBC employee Sir Jimmy Savile OBE KCSG of being a paedophile and "fixer" to members of the elite.

#toxic

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 19:42 - May 2 with 1841 viewscaught-in-limbo

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 18:54 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

Yeah, I don't think you're really following his point too well.

I'd be interested to hear in your own words why Squid's example isn't applicable?

#toxic

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 19:56 - May 2 with 1814 viewsSpruceMoose

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 19:42 - May 2 by caught-in-limbo

I'd be interested to hear in your own words why Squid's example isn't applicable?

Let's not pretend you actually read or consider any posts other than your own, or those that back up whatever loony tunes theory you are advancing.

As I told you yesterday, my interactions with you are restricted to laughing at you. Anything else is beneath me and compliments you far too much. It seems that you lack intellectual integrity and honesty entirely in these matters.

I await your inevitable backlash.

Buh-bye.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 20:20]

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 20:21 - May 2 with 1788 viewscaught-in-limbo

Some might find todays Guardian Long Read interesting on 19:56 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

Let's not pretend you actually read or consider any posts other than your own, or those that back up whatever loony tunes theory you are advancing.

As I told you yesterday, my interactions with you are restricted to laughing at you. Anything else is beneath me and compliments you far too much. It seems that you lack intellectual integrity and honesty entirely in these matters.

I await your inevitable backlash.

Buh-bye.
[Post edited 2 May 2019 20:20]

Well I'm itching to know what EireBlue means when he talks about a "contemporary allegation of a conspiracy theory". You've upvoted all his posts in this thread so far so you must know what he's talking about.

I've got an idea about what he means but I thought I'd ask someone of greater knowledge before I embarrass myself.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024