Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burley 17:29 - May 2 with 3627 viewsBlueForYou

If we had appointed George as manager at the end of last season, how do you guys reckon he would have done, compared to what’s actually happened..??
Burley on 17:30 - May 2 with 3613 viewsTractorCam

Who knows...

What about Cowley, Steijn, Mowbray, Warburton, Gerrard, Lampard, Parker, Campbell, McClaren, White, Gomes, Ross?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Burley on 17:38 - May 2 with 3581 viewstrncbluearmy

Hard to say but Webster, Garner and possibly Waghorn could still be here and those that left would not have been replaced by duds.
In fact it's hard to imagine GB would have made any of the same signings PH made.

But that's the problem, Evans cannot pick a manager, I know the majority backed him but we do not have the duty of care,inside knowledge and access to advice which he should have sort.
Burley on 17:39 - May 2 with 3570 viewsSpruceMoose

It would have been an appointment based on romance and not reality.

But couldn't have been any worse than what we got eh?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Burley on 17:40 - May 2 with 3559 viewsTractorCam

Burley on 17:38 - May 2 by trncbluearmy

Hard to say but Webster, Garner and possibly Waghorn could still be here and those that left would not have been replaced by duds.
In fact it's hard to imagine GB would have made any of the same signings PH made.

But that's the problem, Evans cannot pick a manager, I know the majority backed him but we do not have the duty of care,inside knowledge and access to advice which he should have sort.

Not sure why Burley would have been a good appointment, hasn't managed in 8 years. We did very well to somehow find a manager who was happy to rip up a decent squad and replace it with lower league players. It's impossible to say how managers would have done, but I don't think we'd be in last place with any of those linked, but again we'll never know.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Burley on 19:42 - May 2 with 3304 viewsBlueBadger

Midtable. With the same people who'll brook no criticism of Lambert complaining about Evans recruiting from the old boys' network.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Burley on 19:58 - May 2 with 3265 viewsrgp1

Burley on 17:39 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

Remembering of course that we are still well in the brown stuff unless Lambert pulls off the best summer transfer window in living memory!
Burley on 20:26 - May 2 with 3188 viewsDurovigutum

Burley on 19:58 - May 2 by rgp1

Remembering of course that we are still well in the brown stuff unless Lambert pulls off the best summer transfer window in living memory!

Burley will be back come November if Lambert messes this up...
Burley on 21:18 - May 2 with 3082 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I really wanted him back.

How would he have done... No worse than Lambert or hurst I imagine

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Burley on 21:37 - May 2 with 3041 viewsrgp1

Burley on 20:26 - May 2 by Durovigutum

Burley will be back come November if Lambert messes this up...

I wouldn't disagree with that in priciple, however if it happens it probably means that we are in freefall towards league 2!
Burley on 22:00 - May 2 with 2998 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Burley on 21:18 - May 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

I really wanted him back.

How would he have done... No worse than Lambert or hurst I imagine

I did too, never bought into this 'young, lower league manger bs'. Can't see how he would have done worse than Hurst or Lambert.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Burley on 12:03 - May 3 with 2675 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Burley on 12:14 - May 3 with 2640 viewsblueislander

Burley on 17:38 - May 2 by trncbluearmy

Given what was known about Hurst before his appointment, I don't think you can accuse Evans of a lack of care , nor would any "inside knowledge" have thrown any further light . There was hardly any criticism of the appointment at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Burley on 12:16 - May 3 with 2637 viewsActionMan

Burley on 17:39 - May 2 by SpruceMoose

I know it's not QUITE the same, but he was our third ever most successful manager here and probably deserved a bit more respect in that regard. If we could have taken Bobby back in 1990 instead of Lyall (as Bobby was leaving England) we probably should have.

Burley would have had us at 15th place worse case scenario. He would have probably done better than Lambert because instead of going all guns blazing like we did when he first took over, Burley would have been far more pragmatic and looked to get points on the board. Lets face it, on his day, Burley was an infinitely better manager than Paul Lambert was (and is).
Burley on 12:21 - May 3 with 2618 viewsblueislander

Burley on 12:16 - May 3 by ActionMan

I know it's not QUITE the same, but he was our third ever most successful manager here and probably deserved a bit more respect in that regard. If we could have taken Bobby back in 1990 instead of Lyall (as Bobby was leaving England) we probably should have.

Burley would have had us at 15th place worse case scenario. He would have probably done better than Lambert because instead of going all guns blazing like we did when he first took over, Burley would have been far more pragmatic and looked to get points on the board. Lets face it, on his day, Burley was an infinitely better manager than Paul Lambert was (and is).

Lambert took Norwich from the third tier to the first in a very short period of time. That is quite an achievement, whether it is a better record than Burley's is debateable, but it a stretch to say that Burley was "infinitely better".
Burley on 12:26 - May 3 with 2594 viewsNo9

Trying to receate past success using the same personnel has not always been successful.
Burley on 14:08 - May 3 with 2516 viewsMoriarty

Burley on 12:26 - May 3 by No9

Trying to receate past success using the same personnel has not always been successful.

True, but a good indicator of future performance is past performance.

Burley was the appointment to make imho. Not just for on field reasons.

fka omuircheartaigh

Burley on 16:31 - May 3 with 2448 viewsBlueForYou

Thanks for the replies. Of course we will never know, but originally I felt that George was the best option. Being out of the game for a while can sometimes be a good thing & he'd come into the job fresh & with a passion for Ipswich Town. But I like Lambert & if he can turn the team around as well as he has turned the fans around, then all is well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024