Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen 12:26 - May 4 with 9160 viewsLord_Lucan

Wondering if anyone had been to the Shaping a Generation exhibition in Leicester. I wouldn't mind going but Leicester of all places?

http://shapingageneration.co.uk/

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:01 - May 4 with 4982 viewsBluespeed225

An old Chantry Mod mate of mine lives up that way now, well Sutton Colefield, married 1st Gen’ Mod lady who did a talk at the opening night. She was one of the first females to really take Continental fashions and adapt them here, with photos to prove! Gill Evans Catling, still KTF!
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:33 - May 4 with 4947 viewsLord_Lucan

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:01 - May 4 by Bluespeed225

An old Chantry Mod mate of mine lives up that way now, well Sutton Colefield, married 1st Gen’ Mod lady who did a talk at the opening night. She was one of the first females to really take Continental fashions and adapt them here, with photos to prove! Gill Evans Catling, still KTF!

Gill Evans, I've heard the name and I just googled her and there is a piece on her and some pics of her and your mate Stuart? on Modcloset

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:39 - May 4 with 4940 viewsgtsb

Those blokes in their fifties and sixties who still think they are twenty one and sport a Paul Weller haircut do make me laugh. They look ridiculous. There are one or two round here like that.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:43 - May 4 with 4923 viewsfactual_blue

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:39 - May 4 by gtsb

Those blokes in their fifties and sixties who still think they are twenty one and sport a Paul Weller haircut do make me laugh. They look ridiculous. There are one or two round here like that.

It's Sudbury. Everybody looks ridiculous.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:53 - May 4 with 4910 viewsLord_Lucan

Must admit I tend to agree with you there, I am not keen on the Weller look - even on youngsters.

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:12 - May 4 with 4861 viewsColin_Viljoen

As Paul Weller said "once a Mod, always a Mod"
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:30 - May 4 with 4836 viewsGlasgowBlue

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:53 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

Must admit I tend to agree with you there, I am not keen on the Weller look - even on youngsters.

Of course the Weller haircut is the Marriott haircut.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:35 - May 4 with 4826 viewsgtsb

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:53 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

I'm modelling myself on an 80's icon these days with the haircut and body. Always did like Buster Bloodvessel.
Login to get fewer ads

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:37 - May 4 with 4825 viewsjaykay

you got to be in your seventies to have been a mod or rocker

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:52 - May 4 with 4797 viewsGlasgowBlue

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:37 - May 4 by jaykay

you got to be in your seventies to have been a mod or rocker

Those In their fifties will be from the Mod revival of 1979. Although Mod culture is always evolving so it can't be pinned down to any particular age group.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:05 - May 4 with 4779 viewsBLUEBEAT

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:01 - May 4 by Bluespeed225

One of my friends did a talk too, but that was more about the later 60s fashions/dandyisms...

Poll: W or W

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:07 - May 4 with 4775 viewsBLUEBEAT

Hate that. Google #wellendwednesday

Poll: W or W

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:41 - May 4 with 4735 viewsLord_Lucan

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:30 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Of course the Weller haircut is the Marriott haircut.

Weller has taken it to new levels - quite literally, much more bushy.

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:44 - May 4 with 4730 viewsgtsb

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:07 - May 4 by BLUEBEAT

Hate that. Google #wellendwednesday

Hahahahaha cheers for that. That look so ridiculous
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 16:08 - May 4 with 4707 viewsLord_Lucan

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 15:44 - May 4 by gtsb

Hahahahaha cheers for that. That look so ridiculous

Please help! My gran and her friend Pauline haven't been seen since Monday...both are vulnerable

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:24 - May 4 with 4636 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 14:52 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

Those In their fifties will be from the Mod revival of 1979. Although Mod culture is always evolving so it can't be pinned down to any particular age group.

Evolving maybe. But the real mods were those of us riding Lambrettas and Vespas in the mid sixties.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 19:41 - May 4 with 4572 viewsBluespeed225

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 13:33 - May 4 by Lord_Lucan

Gill Evans, I've heard the name and I just googled her and there is a piece on her and some pics of her and your mate Stuart? on Modcloset

That’s him. Does his own line in ties.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 19:52 - May 4 with 4559 viewsBluespeed225

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 17:24 - May 4 by blueislander

Evolving maybe. But the real mods were those of us riding Lambrettas and Vespas in the mid sixties.

I love hearing tales from back then, but it was a 3 year thing, tops, for most. A friend of mine I shall be drinking with after the game tommorow was an original, lived it, clothes, gigs, clubs, the first SS180 seen in Ippo( he moved to London in 63’)bought from Grimsteads, but has little of the knowledge we have picked up over the last 40 years. For the record, the Weller look on fat mid 50 year olds is a source of amusement and embarrassment to the rest of us! I’m more mid century/Ivy now.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 20:20 - May 4 with 4529 viewsjaykay

yes they were and chasing me and my mates (as per avatar) at bank holidays at clacton or yarmouth. i remember a group of mods from landseer rd who i went to the civic college with in 64 , who were a hard bunch.
the so called evolving mods remind of week end re enactors

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 11:52 - May 5 with 4394 viewsLord_Lucan

When you say “Real” you should just swap that for “Original”. You can’t preclude someone from being a Mod because they were born too late.

Anyway, a lot of the original Mods just packed it in after jumping on the bandwagon, it was purely a fashion fad. Same as the revival Mods, half of them were wearing the wrong clothes and listening to the wrong music anyway.

The original Mods were starting circa 1958 so does that preclude the mid sixties Mods from being “Real” Mods?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:02 - May 5 with 4370 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 11:52 - May 5 by Lord_Lucan

When you say “Real” you should just swap that for “Original”. You can’t preclude someone from being a Mod because they were born too late.

Anyway, a lot of the original Mods just packed it in after jumping on the bandwagon, it was purely a fashion fad. Same as the revival Mods, half of them were wearing the wrong clothes and listening to the wrong music anyway.

The original Mods were starting circa 1958 so does that preclude the mid sixties Mods from being “Real” Mods?

I accept your point.I was being slightly tongue in cheek. Most of the “original” Ipswich mods were a fairly peaceful bunch. More interested in the music, clothes and mod girls than fighting “Greasers” I was not aware of any mod movement in the late 50s. As I recall there Teddy Boys , and a few beatnicks.
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:16 - May 5 with 4355 viewsLord_Lucan

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:02 - May 5 by blueislander

I accept your point.I was being slightly tongue in cheek. Most of the “original” Ipswich mods were a fairly peaceful bunch. More interested in the music, clothes and mod girls than fighting “Greasers” I was not aware of any mod movement in the late 50s. As I recall there Teddy Boys , and a few beatnicks.

Fair enough BI.

What were the local Mod hangouts back then?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:20 - May 5 with 4341 viewsnoggin

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 11:52 - May 5 by Lord_Lucan

Started in London with the Modernists who were in to jazz I believe.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:26 - May 5 with 4335 viewssoclopath

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:16 - May 5 by Lord_Lucan

Fair enough BI.

Mod hangouts in Ipswich The Gondalier and the Rickshaw,Greasers at The Two Ages and The Classic now Mr Wongs .
Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:28 - May 5 with 4334 viewsblueislander

Any old Mods about - 1st or 2nd gen on 12:16 - May 5 by Lord_Lucan

Fair enough BI.

Bluesville at The Manor Ballroom on a Monday night was a must. Fantastic R&B bands. I honestly cannot recall whether there were any specific pubs, but The Gondolier coffee bar next to The Cock and Pie was popular.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024