Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goodbye Championship today then 16:39 - May 5 with 2500 viewsMullet

We’ve been here what feels like most of our existence, but 17 years straight is not something to be sniffed at. Along with our peers being big boy Premiership clubs in terms of years in the top two divisions, there is much to be sad and angry about when it comes to losing that status.

Today couldn’t have been more ill-fitting for that sentiment though. I’m glad the home fans who didn’t get to experience Swansea got a re-run today. That game we saw today was utterly bananas, and just as meaningless in terms of this season and the next. Tactically we were all over the place with a 451 masquerading as a 433 up against a team as unorthodox as any we’ve seen this season.

More changes from Lambert, loanees, Dozzell as a right winger that never went near the touchline or had the beating of makeshift LB in Dallas. I really thought we were getting a hammering before kick off. But what a game that was.

Compared to the opening day in August where we had sunshine, noise, and hope in abundance. Paul Hurst hung over the North stand on one of the shortest lived banners ever and now the only thing hanging over us is failure. As a Smiths fan Blue Action couldn’t have picked anything better to line the bottom of the stand today, they’re one of the few things that have gone right this season. Had we had back in August what they bring now, who knows if one result might have swung the whole campaign another way?

I think losing Chambers for the opener is as big a blow as any next season. It opens the door on uncertainty, on forced and needless changes just as Blackburn and the subsequent games did this time around. Obviously I can’t envisage we’re in for anything comparable, but there is little but pieces left of the squad now. What Lambert can and will do with just a window remains to be seen, however he’s got a job on his hands.

It’s brilliant that Downes and Dozzell scored, to win it like we did after their goal being dubious to say the least, to go all square and a penalty miss that will live long in the memory. Watching back the move that led to Dozzell’s first time finish it might even be our goal of the season. A first time finish started with a beautiful first time pass from Skuse. Looking at how Chalobah ended the game today and how he started this season, you can see not all the progress will bleed out of the club this summer.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Goodbye Championship today then on 16:52 - May 5 with 2405 viewsGuthrum

That's a bloody good passage of play leading to the goal.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Goodbye Championship today then on 17:07 - May 5 with 2352 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Goodbye Championship today then on 16:52 - May 5 by Guthrum

If we can do that consistently next season fans will be getting very good value for money.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Goodbye Championship today then on 17:35 - May 5 with 2269 viewsbrogansnose

Goodbye Championship today then on 16:52 - May 5 by Guthrum

Absolute poetry that goal.
Goodbye Championship today then on 18:23 - May 5 with 2135 viewsGriller

Yes indeed, goodbye Championship today. It's been great fun.
Goodbye Championship today then on 18:25 - May 5 with 2111 viewsBlueBadger

Goodbye Championship today then on 18:23 - May 5 by Griller

I rather fear that you lot will be back here before we are.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Goodbye Championship today then on 18:27 - May 5 with 2101 viewsFramfarmer

nobody in league 1 will be able to live with us, if we do more of that!
Goodbye Championship today then on 18:38 - May 5 with 2079 viewsFtnfwest

Well done Grills, genuinely well deserved. Now don’t sack him when you think he’s being too defensive next season!
Goodbye Championship today then on 18:48 - May 5 with 2048 viewsFixed_It

Credit where it's due - since you looked second best to a pretty poor Town side in September you have had a great season. We all know that Farke would have been sacked if we had got the win - funny old game!

See you in 2020...
[Post edited 5 May 2019 18:50]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Goodbye Championship today then on 18:52 - May 5 with 2020 viewsGriller

Goodbye Championship today then on 18:38 - May 5 by Ftnfwest

Well done Grills, genuinely well deserved. Now don’t sack him when you think he’s being too defensive next season!

I'll take that in the spirit intended (I think!) Thanks too for hammering the final nail in the Leeds coffin - there could be trouble ahead for them if they don't win the playoffs. Finally, I don't think Daniel Farke is capable of playing defensive football.
Goodbye Championship today then on 19:16 - May 5 with 1936 viewsElephantintheRoom

Reading a bit too much into an utterly meaningless match perhaps? Football is cyclic. Time was that Bolton under Allerdyce were the team to beat in the play-offs, now both are going down under financial clouds. Both could go belly up next season, Time will tell.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Goodbye Championship today then on 19:31 - May 5 with 1878 viewsMullet

Goodbye Championship today then on 19:16 - May 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Reading a bit too much into an utterly meaningless match perhaps? Football is cyclic. Time was that Bolton under Allerdyce were the team to beat in the play-offs, now both are going down under financial clouds. Both could go belly up next season, Time will tell.

You’ll have to explain how we are remotely in Bolton’s world financially. I’m sure you’ll decline, but as much I’ve never been a fan of Evans it’s unfair to pretend he is the same as Anderson.

Of course the fact we still finish below them, is the most damning of all. We are one of the worst teams ever at the second tier thanks to removing Mick and with him ever strut in the first team squad Hurst could prise away.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Goodbye Championship today then on 19:46 - May 5 with 1813 viewsFtnfwest

Goodbye Championship today then on 18:52 - May 5 by Griller

I'll take that in the spirit intended (I think!) Thanks too for hammering the final nail in the Leeds coffin - there could be trouble ahead for them if they don't win the playoffs. Finally, I don't think Daniel Farke is capable of playing defensive football.

No you’re probably right re farke it’s the opposite that’s the worry in the prem. Can only see Leeds c*cking it up tbh
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024