Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily 22:48 - May 5 with 2052 viewsclive_baker

But we’ve got the potential to rip up L1 with a couple of choice additions.

Big 12 weeks for Lambert and his team coming up to recruit well, dispose well and get a few off the injury table and onto the training ground. I really think we’re well placed to properly pop next season, it could be quite the ride. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take 2 forwards and while there’s no guarantees, I really do think we have a great opportunity to tear up league 1.

COYB

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 22:54 - May 5 with 1994 viewswarkthisway

No it’s not - if we double the number of wins we managed this season we will finish rock bottom

bentnkuqi

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 22:57 - May 5 with 1968 viewsSomethingBlue

I cautiously think we have a good chance and expect a top-six finish as a minimum, but I don't think we will walk it. I kind of want it to come round ASAP even though this season has been such a terrible slog - hate the idea of being a L1 club and just want to hopefully get it over with quickly.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:00 - May 5 with 1926 viewsTrickster

I've got a horrible feeling we'll struggle and finish mid table.

Poll: Who do you want to be appointed next Town manager?

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:03 - May 5 with 1913 viewsstrikalite

What will help is the fact that PR has a positive energy again, we'll win most of our games at home I'm confident about that, put your ISA savings on a top 6 finish if you want easy money :)

I say that because I've watched a few League One games this season and it's not close to the Championship imo, Sunderland were bang average...
[Post edited 5 May 2019 23:05]
I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:05 - May 5 with 1892 viewsclive_baker

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 22:54 - May 5 by warkthisway

No it’s not - if we double the number of wins we managed this season we will finish rock bottom

We’ll have at least doubled this seasons wins before 2019 is out. You can bookmark that.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:11 - May 5 with 1850 viewsJ2BLUE

We seem to have a large number of posters who are massively hyping league one into something it isn't. I have no idea why. Anyone would think we are taking a step up rather than a big step down.

I'm not sure we are going to rip up league one but I think there is certainly room for cautious optimism. If we could get rid of Sunderland in the play offs it would be great. Portsmouth and Charlton are no mugs but I think Sunderland would be very strong next season.

Agree with SomethingBlue. We should be aiming for the top 6 at a minimum.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:17 - May 5 with 1806 viewsclive_baker

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:11 - May 5 by J2BLUE

We seem to have a large number of posters who are massively hyping league one into something it isn't. I have no idea why. Anyone would think we are taking a step up rather than a big step down.

I'm not sure we are going to rip up league one but I think there is certainly room for cautious optimism. If we could get rid of Sunderland in the play offs it would be great. Portsmouth and Charlton are no mugs but I think Sunderland would be very strong next season.

To your first point I think there’s probably an element of people’s convincing themselves that’s its not that bad as some kind of mechanism to deal with a relegation. That said, having watched the past few years of drab Championship football, a change is sometimes as good as a holiday, and I for one am looking forward to some new away days and cities to visit.

As for our competitiveness, although we’ve amassed less points than them, I’m convinced we’re in a much much better spot than the shower of a Sunderland team that was relegated the year before last, and while it’ll be no means a cake walk, I don’t see many sides at that level that’ll be stronger than us. As much as anything it’ll be a psychological shift from underdog to favourites that’ll take some doing, but that’s where Lambert earns his money over the summer. He’s been there and done it before and he’s not short of quality in this squad, he just needs to identify where it’s best deployed and have a good transfer window (inbound and out).

Edit: misinterpreted your 1st point, you mean in terms of competitiveness and yes I agree, we’ll be one of the teams to beat next season if we fulfil our potential.
[Post edited 5 May 2019 23:19]

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:23 - May 5 with 1759 viewsGarv

I don't have a particular issue with the squad - albeit obviously it needs tweaking. On paper we should be very competitive. It's the winning habit that we don't have that worries me. Five wins all season. A very young team who haven't had many experiences of winning games. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, but I just hope we're mentally strong enough to go from losing every week to doing the opposite.

It's this nagging doubt that makes me think I wouldn't be surprised if we were mid table or maybe just knocking on the door of the POs.
[Post edited 5 May 2019 23:25]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 00:00 - May 6 with 1608 viewsstringy

I honestly struggle to get my head around where we might be / how hard L1 will be.

I just hope we have a bit of *luck*, like first game at home against a team who haven't just come up and are running on all cylinders, someone we simply roll over, get the three points and keep the 'we're going to be alright' feeling amongst the masses, thereafter a lack of the disastrous injuries we've been suffering from.
I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 00:01 - May 6 with 1602 viewswarkthisway

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:05 - May 5 by clive_baker

We’ll have at least doubled this seasons wins before 2019 is out. You can bookmark that.

Where is your evidence for that ? We lost to Accrington and Exeter plus Lincoln

bentnkuqi

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 00:06 - May 6 with 1574 viewsJ2BLUE

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 00:01 - May 6 by warkthisway

If we played any of those 20 times, 10 at home and 10 away do you think we would win less than 10?

Lincoln was under a previous manager with a different team.

Exeter was a previous manager and we actually drew in ninety minutes.

Accrington, fair enough.

None of those are particularly relevant to how we will perform over 46 games next season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 08:12 - May 6 with 1284 viewstractorboy1978

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 23:11 - May 5 by J2BLUE

I'm far from overhyping L1 but it will bring a slightly different challenge and the pressure dynamic will have changed. We will go into most games as favourites, we will probably be favourites for promotion before the season starts and we will be the team to beat from the off. That brings pressure and it is imperative we start the season well, particularly at home.

A lot of games next season are going to be gritty battles and we need to be able to fight as well as play. We need 2/3 experienced, battle hardened campaigners in there amongst the promising young lads we have. Summer recruitment is going to be key.

Also have to bear in mind, we could end up playing 55-60 games next season depending on progress in the cups. Squad management is going to be important too.
[Post edited 6 May 2019 8:17]
I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 08:42 - May 6 with 1221 viewsGuthrum

We drew with Exeter - no penalties in the League. Lincoln was two seasons ago, under a manager who notoriously didn't care about cup competitions (and it wasn't just us they beat).

Accrington was just the set-piece weakness and toothlessness up front which was so characteristic of that part of the season. One area much improved upon already and the other can be addressed by recruitment.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I’m not saying it’s going to happen necessarily on 08:50 - May 6 with 1185 viewsPendejo

To use a term from financial services..

"past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes"

In terms of club status and standing, fear further descent, however, it is going to be an adventure.... as Ted says "follow the town up or down!"

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024