Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 61569 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:43 - May 9 with 15084 viewsCoco

Agree. BBC can’t take any risks with the Royal family.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:45 - May 9 with 15068 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:43 - May 9 by Coco

Agree. BBC can’t take any risks with the Royal family.

Danny Baker's off to Paris on holiday.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:47 - May 9 with 15056 viewsSWGF

And yet the BBC will soon be announcing Farage's record-breaking 180th Question Time appearance.

Funny old world.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:50 - May 9 with 15027 viewsSWGF

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:54 - May 9 with 14973 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:47 - May 9 by SWGF

And yet the BBC will soon be announcing Farage's record-breaking 180th Question Time appearance.

Funny old world.

It's embarrassing

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:54 - May 9 with 14975 viewsLord_Lucan

I just don't know what he was thinking to be honest. I find it strange in the extreme.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:55 - May 9 with 14947 viewsTractorCam

What happened?

Surely if Wayne Hennessey can get away with 'not knowing who Hitler is' then anything goes?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:01 - May 9 with 14866 viewsDanTheMan

Seriously?

Fecking hell, that's ridiculous.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:02 - May 9 with 14858 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:54 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I just don't know what he was thinking to be honest. I find it strange in the extreme.

He obviously didn't realise, and took it down and apologised as soon as it was pointed out to him.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:02 - May 9 with 14849 viewsuefacup81

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:55 - May 9 by TractorCam

What happened?

Surely if Wayne Hennessey can get away with 'not knowing who Hitler is' then anything goes?

Posted a picture of a chimp in a top hat and coat, and likened it to the Royal Baby.

I can see both sides here.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 11:04]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:03 - May 9 with 14813 viewsHerbivore

It was stupid and thoughtless of him but as you say he realised his mistake and apologised fully. Sacking him seems hugely OTT.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:04 - May 9 with 14812 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

But to say he wasn't aware of the offence it might cause is incredibly naive on his part.

I trust you've seen the picture? It's hardly subtle. Absolutely no idea what he was thinking!? If you're in the public eye, you must know you can't do things like that. As torturous and mad as it might be
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:04 - May 9 with 14808 viewsSmithy

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:54 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

How he can claim to be "unaware" that his message could be somewhat offensive in 2019 is somewhat mind-blowing

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:04 - May 9 with 14797 viewsPJH

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:03 - May 9 by Herbivore

It was stupid and thoughtless of him but as you say he realised his mistake and apologised fully. Sacking him seems hugely OTT.

Might damage his chances of getting a Knighthood though.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:06 - May 9 with 14775 viewsLankHenners

Pretty stupid gaffe on his part but it was a case of complete ignorance rather than maliciousness so to ban him completely is harsh.

Cancel culture has snowballed a bit too far - good that people are being held to account but it now means people feel there has to be some sort of punishment rather than an opportunity for a kind of redemption.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:09 - May 9 with 14725 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:06 - May 9 by LankHenners

Pretty stupid gaffe on his part but it was a case of complete ignorance rather than maliciousness so to ban him completely is harsh.

Cancel culture has snowballed a bit too far - good that people are being held to account but it now means people feel there has to be some sort of punishment rather than an opportunity for a kind of redemption.

I don't think it is about holding people to account now, it is about trying to ruin them and get one over them. There's no grace to any of it, no thought about how that person will be affected.

I think reading the Jon Ronson book about Public Shaming should be mandatory for Social Media T's and C's

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:12 - May 9 with 14683 viewsxrayspecs

Am a really big fan of him and the tweet is not the first time he has railed against the posh and privileged. He wears his working class background on his sleeve.

In the years that I have listened to him, seen him live, read his books. In the things that he has written for others, there is absolutely zero evidence to suggest he is racist.

That said, the choice of image was extremely naiive and I can understand why folk found it offensive.

Such a shame
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:17 - May 9 with 14617 viewsLankHenners

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:09 - May 9 by itfcjoe

I don't think it is about holding people to account now, it is about trying to ruin them and get one over them. There's no grace to any of it, no thought about how that person will be affected.

I think reading the Jon Ronson book about Public Shaming should be mandatory for Social Media T's and C's

That’s what I mean - it’s essentially gone from an earnest movement that shone a light on the nefarious pasts of unsavoury characters to just pulling the trigger on any public misdemeanour. You should still be able to call someone out for being a tw@t but that’s nowhere near enough for most anymore.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:21 - May 9 with 14559 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:04 - May 9 by Smithy

How he can claim to be "unaware" that his message could be somewhat offensive in 2019 is somewhat mind-blowing

I must say I agree, I seem to be in a minority here but I simply cannot comprehend that he didn't realise it would be offensive. I just can't get my head round it.

It wasn't even funny, I think his position is indefensible.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:24 - May 9 with 14527 viewshomer_123

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:06 - May 9 by LankHenners

There's ignorance and there's ignorance though....it's not really an excuse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47946382

Wayne Hennessey did not know what Nazi salute was - FA panel

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:26 - May 9 with 14503 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:21 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

I must say I agree, I seem to be in a minority here but I simply cannot comprehend that he didn't realise it would be offensive. I just can't get my head round it.

I am sure he has used the image before - he posts lots of similar stuff on his twitter feed. It is his working class background against the rich and privileged.

What has tripped him up here is who the parents are - a mixed race couple.

He should have realised that.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:26 - May 9 with 14497 viewsFtnfwest

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:21 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

agreed, i'm normally pretty laid back on all this sort of stuff but was amazed he'd put this out even in 'error'
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:26 - May 9 with 14495 viewsBinner

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:04 - May 9 by Smithy

Exactly right.

If he thinks that it is acceptable to liken an infant of mixed ethnicity to a chimp then, regardless of any apology, he should never again be allowed near a BBC microphone.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:26 - May 9 with 14490 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:47 - May 9 by SWGF

Funny old world.

All Brexiters are racists and all Millwall fans are racists?

Got it.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:32 - May 9 with 14407 viewsActionMan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:02 - May 9 by uefacup81

Posted a picture of a chimp in a top hat and coat, and likened it to the Royal Baby.

I can see both sides here.

Looks like Prince Charles at least, which puts a few other rumours to bed I guess...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024