Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maitland-Niles 20:55 - May 9 with 6308 viewsGuthrum

Remember when he was not terribly effective for Ipswich? Now playing in a Europa League semi-final.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Maitland-Niles on 21:06 - May 9 with 5714 viewsWD19

I thought exactly the same thing about an hour ago. Limited impact here and never gets much of a mention amongst Micks signings.

Although in the interests of balance, he has looked a relative weak link tonight....
Maitland-Niles on 21:15 - May 9 with 5674 viewsRocky

I think some loan players from "top clubs" are a bit peeved when their managers recommend they be loaned out to lower league sides - and just go through the motions. See also Harry Kane at Nodge etc etc.
Maitland-Niles on 21:18 - May 9 with 5650 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maitland-Niles on 21:15 - May 9 by Rocky

I think some loan players from "top clubs" are a bit peeved when their managers recommend they be loaned out to lower league sides - and just go through the motions. See also Harry Kane at Nodge etc etc.

Doesn’t help being surrounded by utter sh*te either! Or watching the ball sailing over your head for 80 minutes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Maitland-Niles on 21:26 - May 9 with 5616 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

All the more surprising, when a young player can go from looking anonymous in the Championship in large parts to being in the Europa League semi final, that fans are quick to write off similar players from having an impact in League One!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Maitland-Niles on 21:28 - May 9 with 5595 viewsJ2BLUE

He was superb in his debut at Portman Road. He was 17 and was never going to be a superstar or able to go 100% all season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Maitland-Niles on 22:45 - May 9 with 5370 viewsSteve_M

He started the season really well, then the physicality of the league caught up with him. Obviously some fans just assumed that was down to him thinking he was too good for us, can't think why they might have thought that though....
[Post edited 10 May 2019 8:03]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Maitland-Niles on 22:51 - May 9 with 5330 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Maitland-Niles on 22:45 - May 9 by Steve_M

He started the season really well, then the physicality of the league caught up with him. Obviously some fans just assumed that was down to him thinking he was too good for us, can't think why they might have thought that though....

LOL, this

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Maitland-Niles on 23:09 - May 9 with 5278 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Maitland-Niles on 21:28 - May 9 by J2BLUE

He was superb in his debut at Portman Road. He was 17 and was never going to be a superstar or able to go 100% all season.

Wasn’t that against Burnley?
He was mom and scored then came off and gave me his shirt!
As he was 17 he couldn’t have Sky bet badges.
Login to get fewer ads

Maitland-Niles on 08:18 - May 10 with 4945 viewsChurchman

I thought he was too lightweight and wouldn’t make the grade. Could not see anything in him - Div 3, championship at best.... Oops! Well done him though.
Maitland-Niles on 09:13 - May 10 with 4850 viewsWickets

As some have already said he was only 17 and great early season , i well remember his first game Brentford away he was great as was Fraser .I remember saying at the time both looked as though they will be top players .
Maitland-Niles on 10:41 - May 10 with 4709 viewsTerry_Nutkins

this thread is a microcosm for fans not understanding basics of sport/football. He was a really talented 17 year old kid who had good games and bad games. Technically better then our own but physically weaker and not ready for a 46 game campaign.Really wasnt that bad in any games but didnt always shine which warped itself into him being anoymous (because he's from Aresnal and should be bossing it). Young players take time to grow and be season ready! particularly the smaller built ones. That's why we get all this Dozzell overrated stuff. annoying. Young players are generally potential until anything between 19-23 depending on their build etc (some late bloomers). Not all will fulfil it either and some will advance more.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Maitland-Niles on 10:58 - May 10 with 4669 viewsNo9

Maitland-Niles on 21:06 - May 9 by WD19

I thought exactly the same thing about an hour ago. Limited impact here and never gets much of a mention amongst Micks signings.

Although in the interests of balance, he has looked a relative weak link tonight....

I recall one of the main issues on this forum at the time AMN was in a town shirt was very much the way in which he was played with some thinking the gooners might recall him
arf on 11:02 - May 10 with 4658 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Maitland-Niles on 11:04 - May 10 with 4654 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Maitland-Niles on 10:58 - May 10 by No9

I recall one of the main issues on this forum at the time AMN was in a town shirt was very much the way in which he was played with some thinking the gooners might recall him

Yeah, that never happened

Maitland-Niles on 11:04 - May 10 with 4658 viewsSomethingBlue

He was 17 when he arrived and the only surprising thing about his tail-off in form was that people objected to it so much. Not quite sure what people expected, it was very weird.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Maitland-Niles on 11:09 - May 10 with 4630 viewschicoazul

It's so weird!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What a load of bollix (n/t) on 11:22 - May 10 with 4604 viewsDyland

Maitland-Niles on 11:23 - May 10 with 4598 viewsSomethingBlue

Why do things always have to be about lack of effort or bad attitude? Well, I do know why, it's about projection, but it's still very tiresome. That is not how the vast majority of players in that situation think, believe me.

Indeed on 11:27 - May 10 with 4589 viewsDyland

Maitland-Niles on 11:04 - May 10 by SomethingBlue

He was 17 when he arrived and the only surprising thing about his tail-off in form was that people objected to it so much. Not quite sure what people expected, it was very weird.

The issue I have is developing other team's players per se, but I also understand (or rather don't understand) the realities of the footie business so don't really make too much a deal out of it either way.

Football is unique in its tribalism, in the percentage of this sport's dedicated fans/supporters having zero clue about the actual game and business, talking in cliches and being complete divs.

Indeed on 11:32 - May 10 with 4580 viewsSomethingBlue

Indeed on 11:27 - May 10 by Dyland

The issue I have is developing other team's players per se, but I also understand (or rather don't understand) the realities of the footie business so don't really make too much a deal out of it either way.

Football is unique in its tribalism, in the percentage of this sport's dedicated fans/supporters having zero clue about the actual game and business, talking in cliches and being complete divs.

It's not ideal and will only get worse while clubs like Chelsea are allowed to employ 100 footballers. I have no problem with the principle of the loan system but when it gets to the point that it quite manifestly threatens academies lower down then you have to be worried. All the other stuff casting aspersions about the players and their personalities is utter trash though.

Maitland-Niles on 19:06 - May 10 with 4354 viewsbraveblue

Maitland-Niles on 10:41 - May 10 by Terry_Nutkins

this thread is a microcosm for fans not understanding basics of sport/football. He was a really talented 17 year old kid who had good games and bad games. Technically better then our own but physically weaker and not ready for a 46 game campaign.Really wasnt that bad in any games but didnt always shine which warped itself into him being anoymous (because he's from Aresnal and should be bossing it). Young players take time to grow and be season ready! particularly the smaller built ones. That's why we get all this Dozzell overrated stuff. annoying. Young players are generally potential until anything between 19-23 depending on their build etc (some late bloomers). Not all will fulfil it either and some will advance more.

Well Mick Mills totally disagrees. And he has seen it at the highest level. At 23 they should be established players if they are going to make it.
Maitland-Niles on 20:10 - May 10 with 4302 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Maitland-Niles on 19:06 - May 10 by braveblue

Well Mick Mills totally disagrees. And he has seen it at the highest level. At 23 they should be established players if they are going to make it.

He’s wrong, see Ruben Loftus-Cheek, to give just one example off the top of my head

It’s almost like football at the highest level is a bit different now to how it was in 1980. Probably why Mills completely failed as a manager

Maitland-Niles on 20:21 - May 10 with 4285 viewsbournemouthblue

As people say, he started well and I think MM in fairness to him got him working hard defensively. In fact he did such a job on his defensive work, Wenger started to use him as a full back on his return?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Maitland-Niles on 20:28 - May 10 with 4273 viewsjudespiveyg

Maitland-Niles on 20:10 - May 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He’s wrong, see Ruben Loftus-Cheek, to give just one example off the top of my head

It’s almost like football at the highest level is a bit different now to how it was in 1980. Probably why Mills completely failed as a manager

I think with RLC there was always a good player there but being a Chelsea youngster had to wait for first team football and wasn't even loaned out until he was nearly 22. That loan spell at Palace was the first measure anyone could really have had, so for all anyone knew he could've been the real deal at 19 (especially with his size)

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Maitland-Niles on 10:03 - May 11 with 4077 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Maitland-Niles on 19:06 - May 10 by braveblue

I bet he doesn't disagree. You have just taken the oldest age i said an d taken that as my argument. He would be in the minority in football. It's just biology. There are loads of examples of you just look! Trippier, Winks, Linguard, RLF etc. They are not poor before it's just about being physically full season ready. Dowell is a good example for us. He was never going to be physically ready for full seasons at 18

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024