Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Climate Repair 09:26 - May 10 with 3510 viewsStokieBlue

Some interesting ideas in here, although all of them seem more complicated than reducing emissions - they are more targeted at restoring some balance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48069663

I don't really understand why more funding isn't given to nuclear fusion research. It has the potential to produce all the power we will ever need without the drawbacks of nuclear fission yet the US spend only 500m USD a year on research - the equivalent of 1 stealth bomber. The EU spend a bit more but not by much. Sure it's a gamble but one that pays off hugely if they manage to get it working well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Climate Repair on 09:28 - May 10 with 3502 viewshomer_123

What's more SB, what could possibly go with us trying to 'refreeze the polar ice caps' for example?

We're doing a good enough job of f*cking things up doing nothing, lord help us if we 'tried' to make it better!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Climate Repair on 09:56 - May 10 with 3461 viewsGuthrum

The problem with fusion is we're a long way off cracking it, to the point where it's not definitely possible yet. All experiments so far have required considerably more power input than that produced. Nice toys*, but not of any practical use. So any return on financial investment is likely a very long way off, which discourages money from being poured into a vastly expensive research hole.

It probably needs a significant breakthrough in the lab (or multimillion-pound, factory-sized experimental facility) to kick start any serious funding.

* Build yourself one ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Climate Repair on 10:06 - May 10 with 3441 viewsStokieBlue

Climate Repair on 09:56 - May 10 by Guthrum

The problem with fusion is we're a long way off cracking it, to the point where it's not definitely possible yet. All experiments so far have required considerably more power input than that produced. Nice toys*, but not of any practical use. So any return on financial investment is likely a very long way off, which discourages money from being poured into a vastly expensive research hole.

It probably needs a significant breakthrough in the lab (or multimillion-pound, factory-sized experimental facility) to kick start any serious funding.

* Build yourself one ...

Morning Guthers.

They are getting very close, they have already gotten more energy out a fusion reactor than was put into the fuel but not more than the entire experiment consumes. There is hope Sparc which is a much smaller experiment (like you’ve cited) could get there:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/09/nuclear-fusion-on-brink-of-b

More funding would at least give them a shot of cracking it and given it could power our civilisation for the rest of its existence without any climate issues it surely worth the investment risk? We know it’s possible, the sun reminds us of that every day it shines and hydrogen bombs prove that it’s possible in an uncontained way.

I just think it’s worth governments throwing money at it at this point given it’s safe and zero-carbon.

On a slight tangent this is an interesting story you might like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2019 10:09]

Climate Repair on 10:23 - May 10 with 3420 viewsGuthrum

Climate Repair on 10:06 - May 10 by StokieBlue

Morning Guthers.

They are getting very close, they have already gotten more energy out a fusion reactor than was put into the fuel but not more than the entire experiment consumes. There is hope Sparc which is a much smaller experiment (like you’ve cited) could get there:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/09/nuclear-fusion-on-brink-of-b

More funding would at least give them a shot of cracking it and given it could power our civilisation for the rest of its existence without any climate issues it surely worth the investment risk? We know it’s possible, the sun reminds us of that every day it shines and hydrogen bombs prove that it’s possible in an uncontained way.

I just think it’s worth governments throwing money at it at this point given it’s safe and zero-carbon.

On a slight tangent this is an interesting story you might like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2019 10:09]

The sun has gravity on its side (solar generation actually might be the best and cheapest way of harnessing fusion power) and hydrogen bombs only sustain a reaction for thousandths of a second (tho it takes some minutes to distribute the excess heat). The MIT system is, as yet, only theoretical.

There is every reason to put money into research - except financial return. While government budgets are tightly squeezed and shareholders inhibit company boldness, there is unlikely to be a huge amount of cash available. Especially when you have proven, ongoing projects such as the LHC gobbling up vast amounts of the available science funding.

I always feel a little sorry for Hahn. It is the ultimate schoolboy dream to do big science in one's own bedroom/garden shed.

Climate Repair on 10:31 - May 10 with 3413 viewsStokieBlue

Climate Repair on 10:23 - May 10 by Guthrum

The sun has gravity on its side (solar generation actually might be the best and cheapest way of harnessing fusion power) and hydrogen bombs only sustain a reaction for thousandths of a second (tho it takes some minutes to distribute the excess heat). The MIT system is, as yet, only theoretical.

There is every reason to put money into research - except financial return. While government budgets are tightly squeezed and shareholders inhibit company boldness, there is unlikely to be a huge amount of cash available. Especially when you have proven, ongoing projects such as the LHC gobbling up vast amounts of the available science funding.

I always feel a little sorry for Hahn. It is the ultimate schoolboy dream to do big science in one's own bedroom/garden shed.

I agree with most of that, although there is a case that can be made that the 15bn+ funding for the LHC would be better sent to ITER over the shorter term. The LHC is brilliant but it's not the most pressing scientific need - it just has better lobbyists.

With regards to solar you are right that it is a good way to harness fusion energy, it is however subject to the location, weather etc which wouldn't be the case for a fusion reactor. Reactors could also be made as sealed units centrally and shipped where they were needed (they already do this for fission) which wouldn't be the case for a fixed solar array.

Ideally we would have both, assuming that fusion ever works.

SB

Climate Repair on 10:57 - May 10 with 3394 viewsNo9

The French are probably the most adavnced at nuclear engineering I believe the Americans are still shaken by the McDermott incident and will be for some while.

There are a number of problems with nuclear fusion a major one is cooling the reactor, presently creating a lot of problems, another is what to do with the waste.

Then of course there is the relatviely new threat of terrorism
Climate Repair on 10:58 - May 10 with 3393 viewsGuthrum

Climate Repair on 10:31 - May 10 by StokieBlue

I agree with most of that, although there is a case that can be made that the 15bn+ funding for the LHC would be better sent to ITER over the shorter term. The LHC is brilliant but it's not the most pressing scientific need - it just has better lobbyists.

With regards to solar you are right that it is a good way to harness fusion energy, it is however subject to the location, weather etc which wouldn't be the case for a fusion reactor. Reactors could also be made as sealed units centrally and shipped where they were needed (they already do this for fission) which wouldn't be the case for a fixed solar array.

Ideally we would have both, assuming that fusion ever works.

SB

For me, the next important breakthroughs will be in large-scale energy storage, to smooth out variations in both supply and demand.

Some systems are already under practical working trials: https://reneweconomy.com.au/second-wave-of-big-batteries-about-to-join-australia

Climate Repair on 11:01 - May 10 with 3390 viewsStokieBlue

Climate Repair on 10:57 - May 10 by No9

The French are probably the most adavnced at nuclear engineering I believe the Americans are still shaken by the McDermott incident and will be for some while.

There are a number of problems with nuclear fusion a major one is cooling the reactor, presently creating a lot of problems, another is what to do with the waste.

Not sure about that. The French are part of the ITER project, they don't have their own project. The US are part of ITER but also have their own facility in the US which uses lasers instead so they are much more involved than the French.

What waste? There is no long lived nuclear waste from nuclear fusion - that's the entire point. I think this needs to be made clear so there is no scaremongering. There is also no risk of meltdown.

If it can be made to work it's basically the ultimate power generation system.

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2019 11:06]

Login to get fewer ads

Climate Repair on 11:05 - May 10 with 3379 viewsRyorry

Great thread.

I'm no scientist, but hydrogen fuel cells?

https://www.hydrogenics.com/technology-resources/hydrogen-technology/fuel-cells/

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Climate Repair on 11:08 - May 10 with 3373 viewschicoazul

Climate Repair on 11:01 - May 10 by StokieBlue

Not sure about that. The French are part of the ITER project, they don't have their own project. The US are part of ITER but also have their own facility in the US which uses lasers instead so they are much more involved than the French.

What waste? There is no long lived nuclear waste from nuclear fusion - that's the entire point. I think this needs to be made clear so there is no scaremongering. There is also no risk of meltdown.

If it can be made to work it's basically the ultimate power generation system.

SB
[Post edited 10 May 2019 11:06]

Everyone is all like "It's fine dont worry about it" and then a black hole opens above the planet and the Rapture begins.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Climate Repair on 11:11 - May 10 with 3368 viewsGuthrum

Climate Repair on 10:57 - May 10 by No9

The waste from a fusion reaction is not particularly radioactive, given the product is inert helium (something we're running a bit short of, incidentally). The fuel is just variants of hydrogen (deuterium and tritium). Decommissioning of old facilities would be the biggest issue, as the internal structure of the core becomes the most radioactive bit.

Terrorism is a limited issue, as the most an attack would likely be able to do is break the reactor and stop it working. Without the magnetic containment field, a plasma reaction would dissipate pretty much instantly.

Climate Repair on 11:17 - May 10 with 3358 viewsStokieBlue

Climate Repair on 11:08 - May 10 by chicoazul

Everyone is all like "It's fine dont worry about it" and then a black hole opens above the planet and the Rapture begins.

You'll have to explain that a bit more I'm afraid.

SB

Climate Repair on 11:22 - May 10 with 3348 viewschicoazul

Climate Repair on 11:17 - May 10 by StokieBlue

You'll have to explain that a bit more I'm afraid.

SB

Yahweh will ensure we pay for messing with natural laws my brother!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Climate Repair on 11:35 - May 10 with 3336 viewsNthQldITFC

If small-scale (i.e non-stellar!) systems can liberate energy via nuclear fusion, for a nett energy 'gain', that would be a great assistance, certainly if it could be practicable in the short term. But while policy is driven by 'financial return' the mindset is wrong.

It's great that technological mitigation is being discussed more, but we must never lose sight of the inescapable if unpalatable truth that we live on a finite planet, with a massive human population, demanding an ever higher 'standard of living'. That doesn't work.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Climate Repair on 11:42 - May 10 with 3325 viewsGuthrum

Climate Repair on 11:08 - May 10 by chicoazul

Hawking Radiation.

And the Revelation of St John does not allude to black holes. Tho, like John Bolton's war with Iran, it could be an attempt to immanetise the eschaton.

Climate Repair on 14:01 - May 10 with 3281 viewsNo9

Climate Repair on 10:58 - May 10 by Guthrum

For me, the next important breakthroughs will be in large-scale energy storage, to smooth out variations in both supply and demand.

Some systems are already under practical working trials: https://reneweconomy.com.au/second-wave-of-big-batteries-about-to-join-australia

Storage is very important & even on a small scale, currenty available, could reduce demands on the grid but batteris are presently very expensive.
I generate much more energy per 24hr than I can use so I get money back from the grid my problem is that batteries to allow me to use all the energy ~I generate are not cost affective, that is something government could address but politics are against it

One of the new O/S wind farms will be constructed on the Dogger bank by Norwegians, the power will be snet back to Norway to pump water up to mountain reservoirs (e.g. the same as the one in Wales) and will be run down via existing Hydro stations at peak demand periods.
Climate Repair on 14:05 - May 10 with 3275 viewsNo9

Climate Repair on 11:11 - May 10 by Guthrum

The waste from a fusion reaction is not particularly radioactive, given the product is inert helium (something we're running a bit short of, incidentally). The fuel is just variants of hydrogen (deuterium and tritium). Decommissioning of old facilities would be the biggest issue, as the internal structure of the core becomes the most radioactive bit.

Terrorism is a limited issue, as the most an attack would likely be able to do is break the reactor and stop it working. Without the magnetic containment field, a plasma reaction would dissipate pretty much instantly.

"Decommissioning of old facilities would be the biggest issue, as the internal structure of the core becomes the most radioactive bit. "
Thanks, that is the bit I meant; currently I understand the taxpayer is coughing up circa £2 Bn a year in decommisioning works.

As for terrorism I was thinking along the lines of as drones become more powerful etc.
Climate Repair on 17:41 - May 10 with 3238 viewsWeWereZombies

Climate Repair on 11:35 - May 10 by NthQldITFC

If small-scale (i.e non-stellar!) systems can liberate energy via nuclear fusion, for a nett energy 'gain', that would be a great assistance, certainly if it could be practicable in the short term. But while policy is driven by 'financial return' the mindset is wrong.

It's great that technological mitigation is being discussed more, but we must never lose sight of the inescapable if unpalatable truth that we live on a finite planet, with a massive human population, demanding an ever higher 'standard of living'. That doesn't work.

You assume that population increase and 'higher standard of living' cannot be accommodated with technological advances. We certainly need to change how we live but if the change is a better diet and less reliance on consumerism then we have made an advance and one that lessens our impact on the, this part of your post is right, finite planet.

In fact the advances we can make do not even have to be technological. Social organisation has as big a part to play and can influence people's reproductive strategy away from large 'safety in numbers' ways of having a stake in the future's gene pool to the more manageable two and not much more children per couple that is sustainable and concentrates more care upon each child.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Climate Repair on 18:24 - May 10 with 3214 viewsNthQldITFC

Climate Repair on 17:41 - May 10 by WeWereZombies

You assume that population increase and 'higher standard of living' cannot be accommodated with technological advances. We certainly need to change how we live but if the change is a better diet and less reliance on consumerism then we have made an advance and one that lessens our impact on the, this part of your post is right, finite planet.

In fact the advances we can make do not even have to be technological. Social organisation has as big a part to play and can influence people's reproductive strategy away from large 'safety in numbers' ways of having a stake in the future's gene pool to the more manageable two and not much more children per couple that is sustainable and concentrates more care upon each child.

Fair enough, but I'm not just concerned about the planet managing to support humans without hitting tipping points. I'd prefer to see no further extinctions, and recovery of habitats and endangered species.

I know that is idealistic.

I think the risk with putting too much emphasis on technology-based mitigation is that the whole thing is too high geared and anthropocentric.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Climate Repair on 19:34 - May 10 with 3189 viewsRyorry

Climate Repair on 18:24 - May 10 by NthQldITFC

Fair enough, but I'm not just concerned about the planet managing to support humans without hitting tipping points. I'd prefer to see no further extinctions, and recovery of habitats and endangered species.

I know that is idealistic.

I think the risk with putting too much emphasis on technology-based mitigation is that the whole thing is too high geared and anthropocentric.

And also risks engendering complacency, when that's the last thing we need. I mean a shrug of the shoulders and thinking " oh it's OK, no need to worry, new technology + curbing human population growth will sort everything out".
[Post edited 10 May 2019 19:36]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Climate Repair on 20:54 - May 10 with 3140 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Climate Repair on 19:34 - May 10 by Ryorry

And also risks engendering complacency, when that's the last thing we need. I mean a shrug of the shoulders and thinking " oh it's OK, no need to worry, new technology + curbing human population growth will sort everything out".
[Post edited 10 May 2019 19:36]

A techno-fix is more of the same mentality that got us here in the first place (akin to the 'green revolution'......Mosanto, round up etc....)

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024