Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? 10:35 - May 10 with 2503 viewsFixed_It

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned on here.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 10:36 - May 10 with 2499 viewschicoazul

Sorry. I couldnt help it, and I hadnt read the thread. I do hate that man so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 10:42 - May 10 with 2464 viewsWeWereZombies

Come on, just because he managed another club before us and now he is managing yet another club does not make him a ho...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 10:54 - May 10 with 2432 viewsNthQldITFC

Humphrey Lyttleton once gave a rather educational discourse on the origins on the name of Nottingham, which also referenced Scunthorpe:

"It's well documented in official records that the City's original name was 'Snottingham', or 'Home of Snots', but when the Normans came, they couldn't pronounce the letter 'S', so decreed the town be called 'Nottingham' or the 'Home of Notts'. It's easy to understand why this change was resisted so fiercely by the people of Scunthorpe."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 10:56 - May 10 with 2429 viewsfooters

This is an interesting modern phenomenon. Worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe_problem

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 11:43 - May 10 with 2368 viewsblueislander

There are three clubs whose names contain swear words. Arsenal, Scunthorpe, and Manchester
F-cking United.
Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 12:29 - May 10 with 2297 viewsSuperblue95

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 11:43 - May 10 by blueislander

There are three clubs whose names contain swear words. Arsenal, Scunthorpe, and Manchester
F-cking United.

Let me know when you’re next comedy tour is. I’ll make sure not to buy a ticket

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 12:47 - May 10 with 2265 viewsGeoffSentence

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 10:56 - May 10 by footers

This also partly explains why, for a while, Hilary Swank found it hard to get acting jobs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:24 - May 10 with 2220 viewsfactual_blue

About thirty years ago, one of our French friends was a year in England as French assistant in a Scunthorpe school.

To stop the kids bunking off at lunch time, the school showed Neighbours on the telly in the assembly hall.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:38 - May 10 with 2206 viewsWhymarkmariner

Something that has always fascinated me are old sayings that we use today but have different meanings.As far as I am aware these are correct, but I may be wrong.
"Money for old rope" The rope used for hangings was cut up and sold.
"Freeze the balls off a brass monkey" A brass monkey was a device that held cannon balls in place on a ships deck.
"Pig in a poke" Was a bag that traders took to market with a pig enclosed. Following on from this, some of dubious character put a cat in the bag instead. If the buyer was up to the sellers trick he would ask to see the pig, but a cat would jump out, hence "Letting the cat out of the bag"
I'm sure I have a few more, but can't think of them at present.
Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:48 - May 10 with 2157 viewsfactual_blue

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:38 - May 10 by Whymarkmariner

Something that has always fascinated me are old sayings that we use today but have different meanings.As far as I am aware these are correct, but I may be wrong.
"Freeze the balls off a brass monkey" A brass monkey was a device that held cannon balls in place on a ships deck.
"Pig in a poke" Was a bag that traders took to market with a pig enclosed. Following on from this, some of dubious character put a cat in the bag instead. If the buyer was up to the sellers trick he would ask to see the pig, but a cat would jump out, hence "Letting the cat out of the bag"

'Money for old rope' comes from the profits of picking oakum.

'On tenterhooks' - cloth was dried and stretched into shape by tensioning it on a frame called a 'tenter' (for example on Tenter's Piece in Lavenham). The cloth was held taut on the tenter frame by tenterhooks.

Taking the piss - one of the lowliest and most disliked jobs in the dyeing trades was collecting the urine used to produce ammonia for dyeing. Whoever was spotted doing this job was likely to be mocked as they were literally 'taking the piss'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:55 - May 10 with 2144 viewsSouperJim

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:38 - May 10 by Whymarkmariner

I'm sure I read somewhere that "let the cat out of the bag" was a naval term, referring to the cat-o-nine-tails, a whip used to dish out punishments...

Edit: allegedly it's both, or neither... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letting_the_cat_out_of_the_bag
[Post edited 10 May 2019 13:58]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 14:33 - May 10 with 2079 viewsjontysnut

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 11:43 - May 10 by blueislander

F-cking United.

I went to a Europa Cup game at Arsenal when Schteve McLaren was managing FC Twente - on a tube train full of well refreshed Dutch fans who were hysterical about the fact that there was a station called Cockfosters
Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 15:11 - May 10 with 2022 viewsSwansea_Blue

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 10:56 - May 10 by footers

That's a wonderful page.

"In June 2008, a news site run by the American Family Association filtered an Associated Press article on sprinter Tyson Gay, replacing instances of "gay" with "homosexual", thus rendering his name as "Tyson Homosexual""

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 17:55 - May 11 with 1835 viewsWhymarkmariner

Has anyone notced that there is a naughty word in Scunthorpe? on 13:48 - May 10 by factual_blue

'Money for old rope' comes from the profits of picking oakum.

'On tenterhooks' - cloth was dried and stretched into shape by tensioning it on a frame called a 'tenter' (for example on Tenter's Piece in Lavenham). The cloth was held taut on the tenter frame by tenterhooks.

Taking the piss - one of the lowliest and most disliked jobs in the dyeing trades was collecting the urine used to produce ammonia for dyeing. Whoever was spotted doing this job was likely to be mocked as they were literally 'taking the piss'.

Further to this I believe the pots were placed outside of the houses for the occupant to "piss in" Following on from this I believe the saying " Haven't got a pot to piss in" meant that they hadn't been left or got a pot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024