Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2nd referendum 09:14 - May 12 with 23874 viewsgazzer1999

For all those that are seeking a 2nd referendum are you using the upcoming euro elections as just that?. It would be a good way for you to prove a point by not voting Labour or Conservative, and instead voting Libdems as they are the only party that have said they want to stay in the EU and have a clear way forward.
On the other hand if the Brexit Party get the most votes will they accept that they could not win a 2nd referendum?
2nd referendum on 14:36 - May 12 with 1828 viewsvapour_trail

2nd referendum on 14:30 - May 12 by gazzer1999

Yes you are right about policies Thatcher 1979 Britain isn't working, well that one worked, Corbyn 2017 For the many not the few, thankfully that one failed, but still sucked in a lot of youngsters. Farage does not need lots of policies at the moment he is playing to what his party stands for (clue in the name of it). Sourbry's party has no policies but hey ho, thats ok.
We will keep on going round in circles arguing over a result, I think what ever side you are on you should respect the result and move on. If in another 10 or 15 years it was proved disastrous we can apply to rejoin, if however it proves the right decision then great. No one can predict what the outcome will be its all hearsay and a best guess, so its really 50 50 whats right and wrong. What we do know is if we remain it will be more of the same, governed by the EU, higher prices in the shops, no bent bananas, and billions more to fund what ever they decide. And worst of all a corrupt governance that refuses to sign off its own accounts. If you tried to do that in this country you would be locked up for fraud.

No bent bananas.

FFS.

This is why referenda are a bad idea.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

2nd referendum on 14:39 - May 12 with 1819 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 14:17 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

So you are talking about non EU goods coming into UK of which the importer pays the duty - which goes direct to HMRC?

Are you saying that all this duty is then paid back to EU by HMRC and that this is on top of out EU contributions?

Finally the penny drops yes. I think last year we handed over between 16 and 18 billion, on top of our contributions.
I can't believe no remaining politician has not pointed that out to you. Its available on the EU website. We could if we wish not place tariffs if we were self governed, that would make food considerably cheaper.
2nd referendum on 14:42 - May 12 with 1810 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 14:20 - May 12 by vapour_trail

You seem to know a hell of a lot about what the people of Britain think.

Aren’t we lucky to have you in our midst to share this knowledge.

Just trying to let people know the truth, and no I am not funded by martians or the russians
2nd referendum on 14:43 - May 12 with 1808 viewsLord_Lucan

2nd referendum on 14:39 - May 12 by gazzer1999

Finally the penny drops yes. I think last year we handed over between 16 and 18 billion, on top of our contributions.
I can't believe no remaining politician has not pointed that out to you. Its available on the EU website. We could if we wish not place tariffs if we were self governed, that would make food considerably cheaper.

Not placing tariffs isn’t always a good thing though as tariffs are needed in some circumstances to protect our own production - but at least we could keep all the tariff.

Your bent banana thing is nonsense though.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

2nd referendum on 14:44 - May 12 with 1807 viewsLord_Lucan

2nd referendum on 14:26 - May 12 by Herbivore

Okay, so we levy tariffs on the EU's behalf and we keep 20% for processing the collection of tariffs. Seems reasonable.

It’s actually not reasonable, it’s like EU taking 80% of our VAT. It’s not reasonable at all.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

2nd referendum on 14:46 - May 12 with 1803 viewsJ2BLUE

2nd referendum on 14:30 - May 12 by gazzer1999

Yes you are right about policies Thatcher 1979 Britain isn't working, well that one worked, Corbyn 2017 For the many not the few, thankfully that one failed, but still sucked in a lot of youngsters. Farage does not need lots of policies at the moment he is playing to what his party stands for (clue in the name of it). Sourbry's party has no policies but hey ho, thats ok.
We will keep on going round in circles arguing over a result, I think what ever side you are on you should respect the result and move on. If in another 10 or 15 years it was proved disastrous we can apply to rejoin, if however it proves the right decision then great. No one can predict what the outcome will be its all hearsay and a best guess, so its really 50 50 whats right and wrong. What we do know is if we remain it will be more of the same, governed by the EU, higher prices in the shops, no bent bananas, and billions more to fund what ever they decide. And worst of all a corrupt governance that refuses to sign off its own accounts. If you tried to do that in this country you would be locked up for fraud.

How exactly will it lead to higher prices? Anything we import from Europe would surely be cheaper?

Bent bananas? Come on now. Have you EVER seen a straight banana in our time in the EU? Everything is (rightfully) trying to reduce food waste these days. 'Wonkey veg' are sold in many supermarkets.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

2nd referendum on 14:46 - May 12 with 1803 viewsHerbivore

Which food would it make cheaper? Through the EU we have free trade agreements with a number of other food producing countries. For example, we import oranges from South Africa tariff free.

Your figures are way off in terms of what we hand over, it was 3bn in 2015 and I doubt it's gone up six fold since then. It's also not our money we're handing over, we trade as part of a bloc which sets and collects the tariffs. We get 20% for the local collection and administration of them.

And if you think going tariff free on imports is a good idea then good for you, I'm not sure any British producers or manufacturers would agree with you when the US, China and India start flooding us with cheap, sub-par produce and put British companies out of business.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

2nd referendum on 14:48 - May 12 with 1799 viewsHerbivore

2nd referendum on 14:44 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

It’s actually not reasonable, it’s like EU taking 80% of our VAT. It’s not reasonable at all.

It's not really the same thing, but agree to disagree.

Login to get fewer ads

2nd referendum on 14:52 - May 12 with 1790 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 14:46 - May 12 by J2BLUE

How exactly will it lead to higher prices? Anything we import from Europe would surely be cheaper?

Bent bananas? Come on now. Have you EVER seen a straight banana in our time in the EU? Everything is (rightfully) trying to reduce food waste these days. 'Wonkey veg' are sold in many supermarkets.

Never heard of tongue in cheek? Bit like £350 million a week. It got your attention though didn't it.
2nd referendum on 14:54 - May 12 with 1784 viewsfooters

2nd referendum on 14:52 - May 12 by gazzer1999

Never heard of tongue in cheek? Bit like £350 million a week. It got your attention though didn't it.

You're an idiot.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

2nd referendum on 14:55 - May 12 with 1776 viewsm14_blue

You really don’t have a clue.

This is frightening stuff.
2nd referendum on 14:58 - May 12 with 1772 viewsbluejacko

https://capx.co/best-of-2018-how-to-fix-the-irish-border-problem
Just to add to the fun about tariffs etc here is how the Irish border could operate with no problem
2nd referendum on 14:59 - May 12 with 1771 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 14:46 - May 12 by Herbivore

Which food would it make cheaper? Through the EU we have free trade agreements with a number of other food producing countries. For example, we import oranges from South Africa tariff free.

Your figures are way off in terms of what we hand over, it was 3bn in 2015 and I doubt it's gone up six fold since then. It's also not our money we're handing over, we trade as part of a bloc which sets and collects the tariffs. We get 20% for the local collection and administration of them.

And if you think going tariff free on imports is a good idea then good for you, I'm not sure any British producers or manufacturers would agree with you when the US, China and India start flooding us with cheap, sub-par produce and put British companies out of business.

I am not saying that at all, just saying we could. If we kept all of the money for ourselves then I would happily sign up to remain. But while we pay out billions to the EU, when we could spend it on our own country like the NHS, old people in retirement, helping to fund proper training and employment for our young people, then I will always vote out and put this country first.
2nd referendum on 15:00 - May 12 with 1767 viewsJ2BLUE

2nd referendum on 14:52 - May 12 by gazzer1999

You might have a slight point if both of those lies weren't leave lies!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

2nd referendum on 15:02 - May 12 with 1760 viewsKievthegreat

2nd referendum on 13:23 - May 12 by gazzer1999

Its a bit like you earn say £500 per week but the reality is you will take home around £380 after stoppages. I am sure if and its a big if you told told someone what you earned a week it would be the gross figure not the net, so really not a problem is there? unless of course you choose to use the figures quoted like a stuck record. Are people so thick they do not understand the difference.
As a side note the money we get back is not guaranteed it depends what they will give us and on what we can spend it on.

No it's not! That's about having money taken from you.

For a fair analogy, it's like you get a 30% discount on a sofa. You didn't pay £500, you paid £350. If you go around saying you paid £500 that is a lie.
2nd referendum on 15:04 - May 12 with 1754 viewsHerbivore

2nd referendum on 14:59 - May 12 by gazzer1999

I am not saying that at all, just saying we could. If we kept all of the money for ourselves then I would happily sign up to remain. But while we pay out billions to the EU, when we could spend it on our own country like the NHS, old people in retirement, helping to fund proper training and employment for our young people, then I will always vote out and put this country first.

So you'd be happy to be part of the EU so long as it didn't cost anything? Blimey. Do you rock up at nice hotels and offer to stay there for free?

The issue with your line of thinking is that whilst it costs money to be part of the EU there are also significant benefits to us of being members. Leaving will make the country worse off, lower GDP means lower tax revenue and less money to spend on services. We will also accrue significant additional costs by having to do a lot do things for ourselves that the EU has previously done on our behalf, the civil service is going to need to get a whole lot bigger. Not to mention the UK government having to fund areas and projects in the UK that currently receive EU funding.

It's not a simple case of us leaving and everything staying the same except we now keep our EU contributions. You're living in a fantasy world.

2nd referendum on 15:07 - May 12 with 1743 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 14:54 - May 12 by footers

You're an idiot.

That may well be the case, but you cannot get away from the truth.
I will refrain from resorting to your language even if I disagree with you. Not nice!
2nd referendum on 15:09 - May 12 with 1737 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

2nd referendum on 14:59 - May 12 by gazzer1999

Popping between Brussels and Strasbourg doesn't pay for itself you know.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

2nd referendum on 15:10 - May 12 with 1733 viewsgazzer1999

2nd referendum on 15:04 - May 12 by Herbivore

So you'd be happy to be part of the EU so long as it didn't cost anything? Blimey. Do you rock up at nice hotels and offer to stay there for free?

The issue with your line of thinking is that whilst it costs money to be part of the EU there are also significant benefits to us of being members. Leaving will make the country worse off, lower GDP means lower tax revenue and less money to spend on services. We will also accrue significant additional costs by having to do a lot do things for ourselves that the EU has previously done on our behalf, the civil service is going to need to get a whole lot bigger. Not to mention the UK government having to fund areas and projects in the UK that currently receive EU funding.

It's not a simple case of us leaving and everything staying the same except we now keep our EU contributions. You're living in a fantasy world.

How much do you think the eastern european states pay? they are net recipients, as are probably Ireland.
It was all a trading block originally for what it is today.
2nd referendum on 15:13 - May 12 with 1720 viewsHerbivore

2nd referendum on 15:10 - May 12 by gazzer1999

How much do you think the eastern european states pay? they are net recipients, as are probably Ireland.
It was all a trading block originally for what it is today.

That doesn't answer any of my points.

2nd referendum on 15:15 - May 12 with 1714 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

2nd referendum on 15:04 - May 12 by Herbivore

Is wanting ever increasing GDP on a finite planet and also wanting to live in a balanced and harmonious way on that planet an example of cognitive dissonance ?

.....we would keep the tariffs though once terms had been renegotiated (probably at least matching those the EU has agreed) wouldn't we?

2nd referendum on 15:22 - May 12 with 1696 viewsHerbivore

2nd referendum on 15:15 - May 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is wanting ever increasing GDP on a finite planet and also wanting to live in a balanced and harmonious way on that planet an example of cognitive dissonance ?

.....we would keep the tariffs though once terms had been renegotiated (probably at least matching those the EU has agreed) wouldn't we?

No, that's not cognitive dissonance. We've already established you don't know what cognitive disonance is.

Your second para is full of assumptions and in any case if we did end up with similar trade deals to those we currently have it would raise a few billion a year, not enough to cover the costs of Brexit.

In any case, economic arguments are only one part of it. I like that currently I can travel and live anywhere in the EU and that we are similarly open to others. I think it's good for us to be part of a larger bloc that gives us greater influence on a global stage. I'm not really down with the little Englander mentality.

2nd referendum on 15:34 - May 12 with 1675 viewsLord_Lucan

2nd referendum on 15:22 - May 12 by Herbivore

No, that's not cognitive dissonance. We've already established you don't know what cognitive disonance is.

Your second para is full of assumptions and in any case if we did end up with similar trade deals to those we currently have it would raise a few billion a year, not enough to cover the costs of Brexit.

In any case, economic arguments are only one part of it. I like that currently I can travel and live anywhere in the EU and that we are similarly open to others. I think it's good for us to be part of a larger bloc that gives us greater influence on a global stage. I'm not really down with the little Englander mentality.

Freedom of movement for me is the only reason I would continue to vote remain. I also like the free movement of goods but I can’t see much of a reason why this wouldn’t be negotiated back as it is in the interest of all parties - regardless of all the bluff and bluster.

I’m still a bit shocked that we hand over 80% of our tariffs to be honest, that really doesn’t sit well with me at all.

2nd referendum on 15:35 - May 12 with 1672 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

2nd referendum on 15:22 - May 12 by Herbivore

How is my example not an example of.....
"....the mental discomfort experienced by a person who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values."

Keep shifting those goalposts but at least we are slowly getting there, you like the EU because it works for you!

2nd referendum on 15:35 - May 12 with 1673 viewsHerbivore

2nd referendum on 15:34 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

Freedom of movement for me is the only reason I would continue to vote remain. I also like the free movement of goods but I can’t see much of a reason why this wouldn’t be negotiated back as it is in the interest of all parties - regardless of all the bluff and bluster.

I’m still a bit shocked that we hand over 80% of our tariffs to be honest, that really doesn’t sit well with me at all.

That's because you think of them as our tariffs. In reality they're the EU's tariffs.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024