Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manchester people 22:05 - May 12 with 2264 viewsCoastalblue

I think there's a few on here?

I had a week's work booked in Manchester this week that got cancelled at last minute (Friday afternoon) but have some nice accomodation booked via airbnb in M15.

I've decided that I'm going to make the most of it and have a few days anyway, I'm meeting friends on Tuesday but any other suggestions for things to do the rest of the time?

I'm a bloke who's here on his own, not far past 50 and enjoys a beer, history and most sports.

not fussed about strip clubs if anybody was thinking of offering one

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Manchester people on 22:34 - May 12 with 2197 viewsFreddies_Ears

Lancashire have a home championship fixture at Old Trafford, direct tram from town.

For beer, you are so spoilt for choice, but the Marble Arch on Rochdale Road and the nearby Angel are brilliant. Also the Knott opposite Deansgate station. And the Port St Beer House on, er, Port Street, near Piccadilly station.

For culture, the free Lowry galleries are wonderful, a 15 min walk from Old Trafford cricket ground. Stadium tour of ManU also an option. In the same area is an offshoot of the Imperial War Museum.
I
Oh, and the National Football Museum too, next to Victoria station. Some interesting stuff there.
Manchester people on 22:42 - May 12 with 2185 viewsPlums

I currently work there 4 days a week. A few thoughts...The football museum in the city centre is worth a visit as are the Lowry or Imperial War Museum at Salford Quays.
Plenty of good real ale to be had - lots of bars in the Northern Quarter but expect London prices in some. Have a look at the Frog and Bucket - there can be some great new or experimental comedy on there and just along the road is Mackie Mayor which is a different but good eating and drinking experience in an old market.
Some of the locals may have other ideas.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Manchester people on 22:43 - May 12 with 2179 viewsJohnTy

Lots to see in Manchester. My favourite is Chethams Library, where you can see where Marx and Engels used to sit, and the books they read. The John Rylands Library on Deansgate is also well worth a visit, as is the Royal Exchange, an amazing building that now houses a famous theatre built like a space station. There is of course also the football museum. The last time I went I managed to spot Ipswich's name inscribed on one of the trophies - I can't remember which! The Science and Industry Museum is worth a visit - the world's oldest station apparently, and a separate section on aircraft.

It's a great city.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 22:46]
Manchester people on 22:45 - May 12 with 2171 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do you ski? Indoor ski slope on the M60.

M15, sounds like you're staying in Castlefield?

The Wharf is a great pub that does good food and sits in a lovely spot it the canal basin.

Castlefield is a great part of the city, lived there for 6 years.

lots of museums in Manchester if interested? Including the football museum.

Also you could go for a jaunt into the peak District? Easy to get to by train from Manchester city centre.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 22:49]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Manchester people on 23:05 - May 12 with 2119 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Manchester people on 22:45 - May 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Do you ski? Indoor ski slope on the M60.

M15, sounds like you're staying in Castlefield?

The Wharf is a great pub that does good food and sits in a lovely spot it the canal basin.

Castlefield is a great part of the city, lived there for 6 years.

lots of museums in Manchester if interested? Including the football museum.

Also you could go for a jaunt into the peak District? Easy to get to by train from Manchester city centre.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 22:49]

Nearly forgot, Man City stadium tour is pretty good. Pretty much access all areas, and fairly cheap from memory.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Manchester people on 23:51 - May 12 with 2085 viewsBlueBadger

If you're feeling broadminded and want a pint, I can't recommend Churchills too highly, just off canal Street.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 0:05]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Manchester people on 00:56 - May 13 with 2048 viewsCoastalblue

Thanks all, some good suggestions to check out. I've been here numerous times for work and never really seen the City.

I'm staying just along from Deansgate next to the canal, I think first plan will be a wander along the canal tomorrow and see what I come across, then I'll have a look at some of the suggestions and sort a couple of days out, culture, booze and no work, sounds like a plan.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Manchester people on 08:06 - May 13 with 1907 viewsbrazil1982

Manchester people on 22:43 - May 12 by JohnTy

Lots to see in Manchester. My favourite is Chethams Library, where you can see where Marx and Engels used to sit, and the books they read. The John Rylands Library on Deansgate is also well worth a visit, as is the Royal Exchange, an amazing building that now houses a famous theatre built like a space station. There is of course also the football museum. The last time I went I managed to spot Ipswich's name inscribed on one of the trophies - I can't remember which! The Science and Industry Museum is worth a visit - the world's oldest station apparently, and a separate section on aircraft.

It's a great city.
[Post edited 12 May 2019 22:46]

I think it's the Texaco Cup.
Login to get fewer ads

Manchester people on 08:40 - May 13 with 1871 viewsBiGDonnie

Adult works.

Thank me later.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Manchester people on 11:56 - May 13 with 1810 viewsSaleAway

Manchester people on 00:56 - May 13 by Coastalblue

Thanks all, some good suggestions to check out. I've been here numerous times for work and never really seen the City.

I'm staying just along from Deansgate next to the canal, I think first plan will be a wander along the canal tomorrow and see what I come across, then I'll have a look at some of the suggestions and sort a couple of days out, culture, booze and no work, sounds like a plan.

Yep - sounds like you're in castlefield.... if you walk out of town on the canal, you'll end up by Old Trafford... from there you can head into Media city for the Lowry, or the Imperial War Museum, or the cricket ground ( you've picked a good week to be up here).

I think most people have flagged museums and libraries.... the Museum of Science and Industry is good, as is the people's history museum.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Manchester people on 11:59 - May 13 with 1807 viewsSaleAway

Manchester people on 11:56 - May 13 by SaleAway

Yep - sounds like you're in castlefield.... if you walk out of town on the canal, you'll end up by Old Trafford... from there you can head into Media city for the Lowry, or the Imperial War Museum, or the cricket ground ( you've picked a good week to be up here).

I think most people have flagged museums and libraries.... the Museum of Science and Industry is good, as is the people's history museum.

Oh - and if you want to get out of the city - jump on a train to Edale.... loads of fab walks from the station there. Just ask if you want more details.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Manchester people on 14:25 - May 13 with 1743 viewsjontysnut

Manchester people on 00:56 - May 13 by Coastalblue

top of Deansgate towards Salford is the excellent People's Museum. Get a tram to Bury and go on the East Lancs Railway - good bar on the platform.
There's a micro pub in the food court in the Arndale Centre. A good spot for a cheap lunch - a pint and a burrito the size of a baby for a tenner.
Manchester people on 15:21 - May 13 with 1717 viewsCoastalblue

Manchester people on 11:56 - May 13 by SaleAway

Yep, worked out Old Trafford is not far. Got a day with people planned tomorrow but I think if it's dry I'll spend the day at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

A ground I've not been to so will be nice to visit and I think my Surrey membership may get me some discount too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024