Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Hughton sacked 09:39 - May 13 with 7989 viewswellhungphil

Seems a tad harsh on the guy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48251716
Chris Hughton sacked on 08:47 - May 14 with 528 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chris Hughton sacked on 21:44 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

Yeah, you don't want to end up with disasters like Arsene Wenger or Alex Ferguson, do you?

Wengers probably not the best example, given that he outstayed his welcome by a good few years!

Just saying managers should only stay 4 years is silly but there is an element of truth to the point - pretty much all managers fail eventually reaching a point where they’ve taken teams as far as they can. Ferguson was one of the very rare exceptions to that rule - in fact probably the only manager I can think of in my lifetime that you can say that about

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chris Hughton sacked on 08:55 - May 14 with 523 viewsWeWereZombies

Chris Hughton sacked on 08:47 - May 14 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Wengers probably not the best example, given that he outstayed his welcome by a good few years!

Just saying managers should only stay 4 years is silly but there is an element of truth to the point - pretty much all managers fail eventually reaching a point where they’ve taken teams as far as they can. Ferguson was one of the very rare exceptions to that rule - in fact probably the only manager I can think of in my lifetime that you can say that about

Do you think that without the cash drain of the new stadium and a bigger transfer budget Wenger's might have been a better story? I still rate him as someone who looked to the long term and produced better results (and football) than anyone could have expected in his first fifteen or so years.

From the lower leagues Paul Tisdale is another good example, just checked how long he was at unfashionable Exeter and have seen that he was born in Valetta, how many other managers can you say that of?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:01 - May 14 with 517 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chris Hughton sacked on 08:55 - May 14 by WeWereZombies

Do you think that without the cash drain of the new stadium and a bigger transfer budget Wenger's might have been a better story? I still rate him as someone who looked to the long term and produced better results (and football) than anyone could have expected in his first fifteen or so years.

From the lower leagues Paul Tisdale is another good example, just checked how long he was at unfashionable Exeter and have seen that he was born in Valetta, how many other managers can you say that of?

Maybe but I don’t think there can be any doubt that Arsenal had long needed a fresh face and approach by the time he left - everything had got far too comfortable. Probably one of the main reasons Ferguson was able to continue being so successful was his ruthlessness in overhauling the squad, which Wenger clearly didn’t possess given how long some players were able to hang around at Arsenal for

Fair shout on Tisdale - and I’ve just realised one other example that I forgot was Dario Gradi at Crewe (on the field at least, probably best not to get into the recent revelations there). It’s certainly unusual though - especially at the top level

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chris Hughton sacked on 09:29 - May 14 with 494 viewsBlue_Moses

We can't be hypocritical here, a lot of Brighton fans wanted him gone because of the turgid football he was serving up...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024