Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you aren't somewhat concerned about this 13:09 - May 13 with 9320 viewsGuthrum

you probably ought to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/12/uae-four-merchant-ships-reported-s

Looking increasingly like John Bolton might get his war.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 11:10 - May 15 with 1398 viewsNo9

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 11:03 - May 15 by caught-in-limbo

A country doesn't just start a war over oil because they haven't got enough for themselves.

I don't think this is about oil but, more that America is concerend Iran is a nuclear power & Israel doesn't like it's close proximities?

The point about oil is that the ARAMCO tanker was taking exported oil to America where Trump has claimed self sufficiency for some time.

Two different points
If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 11:21 - May 15 with 1386 viewscaught-in-limbo

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 11:10 - May 15 by No9

I don't think this is about oil but, more that America is concerend Iran is a nuclear power & Israel doesn't like it's close proximities?

The point about oil is that the ARAMCO tanker was taking exported oil to America where Trump has claimed self sufficiency for some time.

Two different points

The whole point about wars in the ME is nothing to do with ideology. If it was, Saudi Arabia would have been flattened long ago.

The idea is to have obedient dictators wherever you can, sell them your weapons and buy their oil.

If you can't do that, then you suffocate them on some pretext like you've just mentioned (nuclear threat) using sanctions, war, trashing their infrastructure or starting a colour revolution.

It's also got a lot to do with Israel, her friends and what they want.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 12:16 - May 15 with 1369 viewsBluesquid

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 11:21 - May 15 by caught-in-limbo

The whole point about wars in the ME is nothing to do with ideology. If it was, Saudi Arabia would have been flattened long ago.

The idea is to have obedient dictators wherever you can, sell them your weapons and buy their oil.

If you can't do that, then you suffocate them on some pretext like you've just mentioned (nuclear threat) using sanctions, war, trashing their infrastructure or starting a colour revolution.

Quite right.

Where is this "intelligence" coming from?

It's Iraq all over again.

"In a report for Tel Aviv University’s Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies, Brig. Gen. Shlomo Brom said that Israeli intelligence provided “an exaggerated assessment of Iraqi capabilities,” leading to “the possibility that the intelligence picture was manipulated.”

https://www.nti.org/gsn/article/israeli-general-criticizes-tel-avivs-role-in-ass

Now this...

"We now know, in fact, that the sources behind Bolton’s claim were Israel’s national security adviser and intelligence agency. Axios published a report Monday by leading Israeli journalist Barak Ravid, who covers national security for Israel’s Channel 13, revealing that a delegation of senior Israeli officials had given Bolton “information” about “possible Iranian plots against the U.S. or its allies in the Gulf” two weeks earlier."

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/bolton-is-spinning-israeli-intelligence-to-pus

Awaits the customary downvote from Lowhouse...
If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 14:05 - May 15 with 1332 viewsNo9

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 11:21 - May 15 by caught-in-limbo

Iran has been selling its oil in Europe for a long while now. The original oil fields in N. Iran were BP under the name of the Anglo Persian Oil Co.
The newer ones had considerable quantities of sulphur in the product which couldn't be sold. In the early noughties the de-sulpherisation plant was built in Asaluya.
There are now pipelines from Iran North, the potential for exporting oil to Russia is there
But the real concern for the Americans is the nuclear facility at Banda - Bushere which was completed by the Russians so the full extant of capability isn't know but it is not what Israel want on their back doorstep.

This isn't a new problem but it has been re-ignited by the T admin.
If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 20:26 - May 15 with 1307 viewscaught-in-limbo

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 14:05 - May 15 by No9

Iran has been selling its oil in Europe for a long while now. The original oil fields in N. Iran were BP under the name of the Anglo Persian Oil Co.
The newer ones had considerable quantities of sulphur in the product which couldn't be sold. In the early noughties the de-sulpherisation plant was built in Asaluya.
There are now pipelines from Iran North, the potential for exporting oil to Russia is there
But the real concern for the Americans is the nuclear facility at Banda - Bushere which was completed by the Russians so the full extant of capability isn't know but it is not what Israel want on their back doorstep.

This isn't a new problem but it has been re-ignited by the T admin.

I'm not sure about other European countries but Spain used to get its oil from Iran until about 7 or 8 years ago. Spain was pressured into finding a different supplier by the US/UK/Israel. It was a very costly exercise as Spanish refineries were set up to refine Iranian oil which was a different process to whatever supplier they took instead.

I don't suppose Israel's neighbours are too happy about Israel's flouting of the NPT and having the biggest stockpiles of nuclear weapons in their backyard either.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 23:33 - May 15 with 1279 viewsBluesquid

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 00:20 - May 16 with 1262 viewsbournemouthblue

The West are certainly massive hypocrits when it comes to both Israel and Saudi Arabia

Two countries we have 'special relationships' with and two countries who are important allies in the middle east. I believe our diplomats use language like, the situation is complex in the middle East and these are important allies.

So nothing to with oil, weapons sales or political influence then.

We certainly turn a blind eye to both countries questionable morals on various items in the interests of 'national security'.

As someone has said above, it's better the devil you know in some cases. If the Global War of Terror has taught us anything, it's that regime change as an idea seems a good idea but the vacuum which you leave can lead to things which are infinitely worse.

It's ironic that America was always worried about the Domino effect of Communism spreading across the world but they themselves have forced 'Democracy' on countries that simply have little concept of Democracy itself and to be brutally honest, it simply doesn't work in these countries

Not that we believe in Democracy, we basically insert a government we want and then try and manipulate their system to keep it there with things like foreign aid, training, infrastructure development etc
[Post edited 16 May 2019 0:23]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 05:52 - May 17 with 1220 viewsBackToRussia

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 09:27 - May 14 by StokieBlue

Not what I said at all but that's not surprising.

It's always best to reply with sarcasm than actually think about the issue raised.

SB
[Post edited 14 May 2019 9:28]

America has illegally taken over the Venezuelan embassy and installed a fake ambassador. I suppose you support such moves Stokie.

US generals talking about lighting up Caracas like Baghdad and a brewing war with Iran. Happy?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Login to get fewer ads

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 07:55 - May 17 with 1195 viewsStokieBlue

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 05:52 - May 17 by BackToRussia

America has illegally taken over the Venezuelan embassy and installed a fake ambassador. I suppose you support such moves Stokie.

US generals talking about lighting up Caracas like Baghdad and a brewing war with Iran. Happy?

What a ridiculous post, where have I said I'd support any such action? Could you provide a link to what's actually happened?

The US supports the leadership of Venezuela which is supported by the majority of South America and the world, that's a factor in whatever has happened.

Generals talk rubbish, it's they job to talk about the military option. Of course I'm not happy about that and I hope it doesn't happen. I'll be critical if it does.

Are you happy about Russia supporting a leader (two leaders) who have destroyed a country all so they can get their billions of loans back from Venezuela? That stance is about money and idealogy, it's certainly not a stance supporting the general population.

Out of interest, why do you think I'd be happy about US warmongering? I've said a couple of times in this thread alone the aren't perfect and I don't agree with the Iranian stance. Just because I'm not biligerently anti-US it doesn't mean I support all the things they do. There is no nuance in this subject on here.

There is a clear anti-US double standard on this board in my opinion by posters who excuse awful behaviour from other regimes.

I'm not going to respond anymore because it's incredibly frustrating to be told your views by other posters with an agenda.

SB
[Post edited 17 May 2019 8:30]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 10:28 - May 17 with 1162 viewsNo9

If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 20:26 - May 15 by caught-in-limbo

I'm not sure about other European countries but Spain used to get its oil from Iran until about 7 or 8 years ago. Spain was pressured into finding a different supplier by the US/UK/Israel. It was a very costly exercise as Spanish refineries were set up to refine Iranian oil which was a different process to whatever supplier they took instead.

I don't suppose Israel's neighbours are too happy about Israel's flouting of the NPT and having the biggest stockpiles of nuclear weapons in their backyard either.

Well in 2018 Iran was selling Oil to Repsol from the West Karoun oilfield.

Oil trading is something that happens while tankers are at sea, the cargo of any tanker can change hands several times, same with LNG from Qatar

Don't be surprised if Iran is selling oil to China & as pipelines through Turkey are commissioned other markets open up.

But these games mean governments can earn more tax (except the UK which has crewed up badly) as barrel prices go north.

Makes not a jot of difference to American nerves over Iranian nuclear capability
If you aren't somewhat concerned about this on 08:01 - May 22 with 1116 viewsWeWereZombies

Or was it all just sabre rattling?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48356911

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024