Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for 13:19 - May 13 with 2508 viewsTractorCam

As someone who was happy to see Mick go and fed up of all the Chris Sutton's out there telling me to be careful what I wish for, I try not to judge manager sackings as an outsider. My initial reaction was that it's harsh as he's kept them up 2 years, but a Brighton fan tells me this:

3 wins in their last 23 league games
7 games stretching from March/April without a goal
Home defeats to Burnley (1-3), Southampton (0-1), Bournemouth (0-5), Cardiff (0-2)
Predictable tactics

Obviously if you were Mick in then fair enough, but if you were Mick out then you will know how they're feeling and how easy it is to judge from the outside.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:34 - May 13 with 2417 viewsBrightonEye

Well said. It always looks very different from the outside.

The main difference with Hughton vs McCarthy is that BHA fans absolutely loved the bloke - decent, committed, good man manager, excellent at PR and - most importantly - very successful through his four years' tenure. Until now.

As above, recent results and relegation avoided by just two points meant a change was desperately needed for the club to retain PL status.

As someone who keeps up with Town matters, I'm well aware of the potential trapdoor that could follow a duff appointment - especially of an untested manager with zero PL experience.

Forget Graham Potter. I'm sure Paul Hurst will be getting the call very soon.
Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:38 - May 13 with 2385 viewsSWGF

Targeting Graham Potter as a replacement, according to reports.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 13:38]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:40 - May 13 with 2374 viewsElephantintheRoom

Coming one place above relegation is a shoe in for relegation the following year. Given his apparent inability to motivate the team this sacking is hardly a surprise if Brighton want a shot at staying up next season. However, a FA Cup semi and premier league football for 2 years is quite an achievement - and a difficult act to follow. Brave and sensible move in my book.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:41 - May 13 with 2366 viewsTractorCam

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:34 - May 13 by BrightonEye

The main difference with Hughton vs McCarthy is that BHA fans absolutely loved the bloke - decent, committed, good man manager, excellent at PR and - most importantly - very successful through his four years' tenure. Until now.

As above, recent results and relegation avoided by just two points meant a change was desperately needed for the club to retain PL status.

As someone who keeps up with Town matters, I'm well aware of the potential trapdoor that could follow a duff appointment - especially of an untested manager with zero PL experience.

It's been quite a fall from grace, I didn't realise how bad it was. As said since the Mick saga I now try to look at situations from an inside point of view with these controversial sackings.

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:43 - May 13 with 2348 viewsSouperJim

They look like they'd not have survived another season under Hughton. If I was a Brighton fan, I'd take the gamble too.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 13:44]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:43 - May 13 with 2342 viewsJ2BLUE

I dread to think who Hurst would spend £30m on if he was a Premier League manager.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:45 - May 13 with 2332 viewsSouperJim

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:43 - May 13 by J2BLUE

I dread to think who Hurst would spend £30m on if he was a Premier League manager.

Kayden Jackson has had over 30 appearances in the Championship now, he's clearly ready for another step up.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:46 - May 13 with 2324 viewsJohnny_Boy

The next Scunthorpe manager according to whispers.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/next-scunthorpe-
Login to get fewer ads

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:50 - May 13 with 2286 viewsTractorCam

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 13:43 - May 13 by J2BLUE

£10m on Jordan Roberts!

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 14:54 - May 13 with 2110 viewsBrianTablet

He made the classic managerial mistake of not winning every game ever.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 18:03 - May 13 with 1847 viewsJohnny_Boy

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 14:54 - May 13 by BrianTablet

He made the classic managerial mistake of not winning every game ever.

Or maybe it was just the 9 wins ALL season in the league.
Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 18:05 - May 13 with 1844 viewsTrequartista

But they are Brighton in the Premier League, they are going to get bad runs. Cannot believe he has been sacked for keeping them up, hope they come bottom next season.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 23:48 - May 13 with 1609 viewsbournemouthblue

Houghton is a funny one and certainly suffers from McCarthy syndrome from a tactical perspective

He can certainly organise a defence and get a team solid but it is debatable whether he can take a team beyond that safe style and get them to kick on

He had the same issue at Norwich where he kept them treading water but never really took them forward

He is a perfectly competent manager but can he take a team beyond 15th?

I think it is getting harder to do so with medium sized clubs now, there's a pack in the middle of the Premier League who are the next step up in standard between the small mini League who battle to avoid the drop. Wolves have muscled into that now and I can't see them slipping away with all that money they have. Bournemouth and Watford along with Everton are likely to hang about there. You then have Leicester who have considated after the title win and West Ham who have similar aspirations all around there. Palace have enough quality to stay out of trouble.

Cardiff who ended up going down, didn't look that bad to me. I know Huddersfield and Fulham have been pants but it doesn't bode well for Nodge when they start next season. Let's hope Farke has a shocker.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 23:49]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 10:55 - May 14 with 1363 viewsBrightonEye

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 23:48 - May 13 by bournemouthblue

Houghton is a funny one and certainly suffers from McCarthy syndrome from a tactical perspective

He can certainly organise a defence and get a team solid but it is debatable whether he can take a team beyond that safe style and get them to kick on

He had the same issue at Norwich where he kept them treading water but never really took them forward

He is a perfectly competent manager but can he take a team beyond 15th?

I think it is getting harder to do so with medium sized clubs now, there's a pack in the middle of the Premier League who are the next step up in standard between the small mini League who battle to avoid the drop. Wolves have muscled into that now and I can't see them slipping away with all that money they have. Bournemouth and Watford along with Everton are likely to hang about there. You then have Leicester who have considated after the title win and West Ham who have similar aspirations all around there. Palace have enough quality to stay out of trouble.

Cardiff who ended up going down, didn't look that bad to me. I know Huddersfield and Fulham have been pants but it doesn't bode well for Nodge when they start next season. Let's hope Farke has a shocker.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 23:49]

Agree with all of that - very well put! (Apart from the Palace bit! Once the undoubtedly brilliant Zaha has gone, and with Batshuayi returned to Chelsea, I think they too will find it tough next season.
[Post edited 14 May 2019 10:56]
Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 10:57 - May 14 with 1357 viewsTractorCam

Chris Hughton - be careful what you wish for on 18:05 - May 13 by Trequartista

But they are Brighton in the Premier League, they are going to get bad runs. Cannot believe he has been sacked for keeping them up, hope they come bottom next season.

But we were Ipswich finishing in the top half of the championship, with a budget around the bottom 6.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024