Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As decent employers go, this is really decent 10:03 - May 14 with 1602 viewsGeoffSentence

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/14/richer-sounds-staff-julian-rich

Richer Sounds was a big part of my life in the 90s, I could rarely pass one without popping in to see what they had on offer.

It is a shame that there was never one in Ipswich, but that hi-fi place at the top of Bramford Road benefitted as a result.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:05 - May 14 with 1581 viewsSteve_M

"He is financing Taxwatch, a non-profit organisation which pores over the opaque finances of multinational companies, and is considering funding a test case against zero-hours contracts."

Good stuff too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:06 - May 14 with 1561 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Fair play to him.

Needs to sort out that gender pay gap though. Shame on him.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:11 - May 14 with 1559 viewsSwansea_Blue

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:06 - May 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

Fair play to him.

Needs to sort out that gender pay gap though. Shame on him.

"Richer Sounds, which has 53 stores, refuses to use zero-hours contracts and is one of the 14% of companies with a pay gap that favours women. Employee perks include access to company holiday homes around the world, including in European cities such as Paris, Venice and Barcelona. It donates 15% of profits, which last year stood at £9.6m, to charity."

I had no idea about how they operated - they seem well worth supporting.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:36 - May 14 with 1510 viewsDeano69

Great business model. If you've made enough, why not, cant take it with you and the taxation on it would mean you can help others on lower income at a minimal personal cost.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:40 - May 14 with 1488 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:11 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

"Richer Sounds, which has 53 stores, refuses to use zero-hours contracts and is one of the 14% of companies with a pay gap that favours women. Employee perks include access to company holiday homes around the world, including in European cities such as Paris, Venice and Barcelona. It donates 15% of profits, which last year stood at £9.6m, to charity."

I had no idea about how they operated - they seem well worth supporting.

Yes, I kind of assumed that they would be on the decline, but seem to be doing OK.

All good... except the pay gap. ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:44 - May 14 with 1487 viewschicoazul

On what I am sure is an unrelated but tangential topic its really difficult to find out what Richer thinks of Brexit, with some results having been removed from Google under European law. He has donated to the Tories in the past.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 11:58 - May 14 with 1396 viewsGuthrum

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 10:44 - May 14 by chicoazul

On what I am sure is an unrelated but tangential topic its really difficult to find out what Richer thinks of Brexit, with some results having been removed from Google under European law. He has donated to the Tories in the past.

There was also the episode with the "Knutsford" investment vehicle during the dot-com bubble (along with Norman, Wray and Leslau). Not that he did anything wrong, but it was one of those which ended up with a vastly overinflated share price while the companies they bought were burning through vast piles of (outside) investor cash, with little realistic chance of making money.

However (and from the comments of a friend who worked for Richer) he is an extremely good employer who often visits the individual shops to talk to staff and see what's going on first hand.

On a side note, it does strike me that Karl Marx, with his desire for workers' ownership of the means of production, might well have approved of Richer's kind of scheme far more than the undemocratic, controlling state ownership model of the Soviet Union.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cue a host of nirvana fallacy type loons knocking the bloke (n/t) on 12:05 - May 14 with 1377 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 12:54 - May 14 with 1338 viewschicoazul

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 11:58 - May 14 by Guthrum

There was also the episode with the "Knutsford" investment vehicle during the dot-com bubble (along with Norman, Wray and Leslau). Not that he did anything wrong, but it was one of those which ended up with a vastly overinflated share price while the companies they bought were burning through vast piles of (outside) investor cash, with little realistic chance of making money.

However (and from the comments of a friend who worked for Richer) he is an extremely good employer who often visits the individual shops to talk to staff and see what's going on first hand.

On a side note, it does strike me that Karl Marx, with his desire for workers' ownership of the means of production, might well have approved of Richer's kind of scheme far more than the undemocratic, controlling state ownership model of the Soviet Union.

Marx would definitely be a Waitrose/John Lewis man rather than Tesco if that's what you mean.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 13:08 - May 14 with 1304 viewsGuthrum

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 12:54 - May 14 by chicoazul

Marx would definitely be a Waitrose/John Lewis man rather than Tesco if that's what you mean.

I mean that he would probably be far more in favour of employee share ownership schemes than a nominally (but often not very) benevolent state taking ownership of everything supposedly on the workers' behalf. After all, what he was most seeking was for the workforce to share in the prosperity created by the businesses where they laboured.

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 13:11 - May 14 with 1299 viewschicoazul

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 13:08 - May 14 by Guthrum

I mean that he would probably be far more in favour of employee share ownership schemes than a nominally (but often not very) benevolent state taking ownership of everything supposedly on the workers' behalf. After all, what he was most seeking was for the workforce to share in the prosperity created by the businesses where they laboured.

Yes I know luv, I was just joshing.

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 13:15 - May 14 with 1288 viewsCoastalblue

My nephew works for Cambridge Audio who are a sister company and I have to say it sounds unlike any where I've ever worked, lots of things that are on the face of it small but all add up to a much nicer environment than I've been used to in the workplace.

A free fruit bar is one such thing.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 13:31 - May 14 with 1236 viewsGuthrum

As decent employers go, this is really decent on 13:11 - May 14 by chicoazul

Yes I know luv, I was just joshing.

Yes. Liked the idea of some among Waitrose clientele's horror at encountering Marx wandering the aisles.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024