Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... 19:14 - May 14 with 5199 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....is anybody seeing them in anything like their usual numbers yet....I have only seen a handful of each and then Miss Slave stumbled upon this (millions being netted in Egypt)....
https://infosurhoy.com/cocoon/saii/xhtml/en_GB/news/where-have-all-the-swallows-

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 19:55 - May 19 with 1639 viewsRob88

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 20:26 - May 14 by Chondzoresk

As an ornithologist I can confirm less Swifts, House Martins and Swallows. Chiffchaffs are ok, as are some other warblers. Buzzards are more common place around me. Plus a Red Kite to boot too. Grey Wagtails on neighbouring village football pitch too.

I must admit usually I hear swifts screaming by now. Not one have I heard yet. This is worrying. Climate change and trapping is making their numbers drop. I hope they are just late this year.

There is also an influx of Savis Warblers along the coast.

As with everything, their decline is actually the result of BREXIT.
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 08:53 - Jun 1 with 1544 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 19:31 - May 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

.....and breathe, swift in residence!

Turns out this was more wishful thinking than fact.....don't think its mate made it and it has decamped. Numbers of house martens and swifts in Aldeburgh, Fram, Sax area seem to be hugely down on usual.....

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 09:13 - Jun 1 with 1536 viewsGeoffSentence

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 08:53 - Jun 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Turns out this was more wishful thinking than fact.....don't think its mate made it and it has decamped. Numbers of house martens and swifts in Aldeburgh, Fram, Sax area seem to be hugely down on usual.....

The numbers of house martins and swallows seem to be back up to normal in my part of the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle. I read somewhere that their appearance upon these shores was delayed by an unseasonable, cool, North wind.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 10:02 - Jun 1 with 1520 viewsbrogansnose

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 08:53 - Jun 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Numbers are significantly down. Was out early this morning and saw 3 on the wing. Usually I would be seeing around 10.
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 10:19 - Jun 1 with 1517 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 10:02 - Jun 1 by brogansnose

Numbers are significantly down. Was out early this morning and saw 3 on the wing. Usually I would be seeing around 10.

Similar story nationally from what I can see.

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 15:00 - Jun 1 with 1505 viewsGeoffSentence

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 10:19 - Jun 1 by BanksterDebtSlave

Similar story nationally from what I can see.

Although the House MArtins and Swallows seem OK where I am, Swifts are a bit thin on the ground.

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 20:57 - Jun 1 with 1482 viewsSonOfSpock

Am no twitcher but I think we have at least 2 Swifts that have arrived in the last week ossibly nesting on next doors nest boxes.

Have been watching them of an evening performing some fantastic high speed twists and turns around the house and garden, some manoeuvres are a little close to the lounge window for comfort.
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 09:14 - Jun 2 with 1463 viewsNo9

My wife told me yesterday, UNPROMPTED, that this is a good year for them.
She is a part of the RSPB report system.
Login to get fewer ads

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 16:51 - Jun 2 with 1441 viewsElephantintheRoom

4 pairs of swifts in out village where usually there are usually about 40 pairs by now, one pair of house martins also about 10% of usual number. No sweallows at all. I walk my dogs at 5am each morning to coincide with dawn chorus. a few whitethroats but virtually no other migrants in out local hedgerows and woods where silence reigns. Maybe they feel unwelcome due to Brexit.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 22:10 - Jun 2 with 1425 viewsboysof1981

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 19:16 - May 19 by brogansnose

First lot of Swifts were ovr my house last night. Laid out on the grass watching them scream overhead.

Amazing birds.

Seen plenty of swallows and swifts so far. Wonderful to watch them, and they’re surprisingly tame. On a side note the blue tit that nests between brickwork on the stables is nesting there for the third year now. Got a brood of 8 healthy chicks doing well atm
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 08:55 - Jun 3 with 1397 viewsWeWereZombies

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 22:10 - Jun 2 by boysof1981

Seen plenty of swallows and swifts so far. Wonderful to watch them, and they’re surprisingly tame. On a side note the blue tit that nests between brickwork on the stables is nesting there for the third year now. Got a brood of 8 healthy chicks doing well atm

I've got great tits nesting in the eaves above my porch at the moment, nice to see but I am a bit disappointed that the nest boxes I put up appear to be empty. The bird table is very busy still, colder weather than usual in the Western Isles - I always put this down to the Gulf Stream receding but it could be down to weather systems higher up.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 09:03 - Jun 3 with 1393 viewsMeadowlark

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 19:16 - May 19 by brogansnose

First lot of Swifts were ovr my house last night. Laid out on the grass watching them scream overhead.

Amazing birds.

Yes. Same here in Lowestoft. Was just saying that we have not seen any swifts at all this year, but they were here yesterday (Sunday 02/06) afternoon/evening at last!
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 18:07 - Jun 3 with 1371 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 09:03 - Jun 3 by Meadowlark

Yes. Same here in Lowestoft. Was just saying that we have not seen any swifts at all this year, but they were here yesterday (Sunday 02/06) afternoon/evening at last!

Numbers down in Bristol too.
https://www.bristolswifts.co.uk/bristol-swifts-early-2019-blog/

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 18:10 - Jun 3 with 1370 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 16:51 - Jun 2 by ElephantintheRoom

4 pairs of swifts in out village where usually there are usually about 40 pairs by now, one pair of house martins also about 10% of usual number. No sweallows at all. I walk my dogs at 5am each morning to coincide with dawn chorus. a few whitethroats but virtually no other migrants in out local hedgerows and woods where silence reigns. Maybe they feel unwelcome due to Brexit.

One of the farms we work at usually has 10 house marten nests on the go another has 3 or 4.....the current total this year is 0.

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 18:24 - Jun 3 with 1365 viewsbrogansnose

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 18:10 - Jun 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

One of the farms we work at usually has 10 house marten nests on the go another has 3 or 4.....the current total this year is 0.

Have'nt seen a House Martin this year at all.
Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 18:43 - Jun 3 with 1356 viewsGeoffSentence

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 18:24 - Jun 3 by brogansnose

Have'nt seen a House Martin this year at all.

Plenty round here.

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 20:38 - Jun 11 with 1269 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Depressing swift news on Spring watch confirming their ongoing decline (shortage of insects) and especially difficult year (weather) currently with losses due to hypothermia on their migration.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 21:19]

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 21:53 - Jun 11 with 1232 viewsunstableblue

Swallows, House Martens and Swifts..... on 20:38 - Jun 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

Depressing swift news on Spring watch confirming their ongoing decline (shortage of insects) and especially difficult year (weather) currently with losses due to hypothermia on their migration.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 21:19]

Still no sign of our house martens.... sad

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024