Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hurst/ Lampard comparison 11:11 - May 16 with 4244 viewsTractorCam

Very easy to obviously say 'Should have got Lampard' after watching him celebrate getting Derby to the play offs whilst we finish bottom. But let's rewind 12 months to refresh the memories:

A club who's regularly finished mid table and now have to sign a manager to try and progress us into the top 10. Just comparing these two, the options are:

- A big name with no managerial experience
- A manager who's worked his way up the leagues, most recently getting a team with little budget to the league 1 play off finals when they were tipped for relegation

Nobody was distraught at not getting Lampard 12 months ago. The other big contender was Jack Ross.
[Post edited 16 May 2019 11:11]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:18 - May 16 with 4198 viewspatrickswell

I think you're right on this. Although their temperaments are different, we'd been burned by Keane so the thought of going for a big name player to manage us gave pause for thought.

I felt Hurst was going to do fine given his experience and steady building he'd done in the past, but he and Doig came in on a war footing, which meant they were always struggling the longer it took that first win to arrive.
Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:19 - May 16 with 4192 viewshatch

There's a thread on this already. In fact, you've posted in that one too?
[Post edited 16 May 2019 11:20]
Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:20 - May 16 with 4187 viewsTractorCam

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:18 - May 16 by patrickswell

I think you're right on this. Although their temperaments are different, we'd been burned by Keane so the thought of going for a big name player to manage us gave pause for thought.

I felt Hurst was going to do fine given his experience and steady building he'd done in the past, but he and Doig came in on a war footing, which meant they were always struggling the longer it took that first win to arrive.

That was the question mark over Frank, same as Gerrard.

With Hurst we were lead to believe he was bringing a 'high press' approach, which obviously we didn't get. I don't think the majority of those managers would have got us relegated, but at the time a vast majority of us were very pleased with the appointment given the circumstances.

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:24 - May 16 with 4176 viewsitfcjoe

I'd have said Lampard was more boom or bust, whereas Hurst was a safer decision.

That turned out well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:00 - May 16 with 4079 viewsTractorCam

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:19 - May 16 by hatch

There's a thread on this already. In fact, you've posted in that one too?
[Post edited 16 May 2019 11:20]

There's threads about Lampard, not Hurst. I added the comment but wanted more people to see it. Sorry if I offended you.

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:01 - May 16 with 4074 viewsTractorCam

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 11:24 - May 16 by itfcjoe

I'd have said Lampard was more boom or bust, whereas Hurst was a safer decision.

That turned out well

Exactly, obviously now we can all look back and say ok we should have got Lampard but I don't remember many people preferring him over Hurst, other than the fact he's a football legend.

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:03 - May 16 with 4063 viewsReuser_is_God

Have a look, it's Sherlock Holmes.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:24 - May 16 with 4029 viewsSuperblue95

Unless they beat Villa in the final then Lampard still won’t have been any more/less successful than their last 5 managers who flung money around like there was no tomorrow.

If we could turn back the clock I’d obviously want us to avoid Hurst but I wouldn’t be clamouring for Lampard

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Login to get fewer ads

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:40 - May 16 with 3973 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:24 - May 16 by Superblue95

Unless they beat Villa in the final then Lampard still won’t have been any more/less successful than their last 5 managers who flung money around like there was no tomorrow.

If we could turn back the clock I’d obviously want us to avoid Hurst but I wouldn’t be clamouring for Lampard

Other point to consider is that as soon as Derby showed an interest in Lampard, there was no chance of him coming to Ipswich.......same applies to Gerrard and Rangers

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:07 - May 16 with 3789 viewsSouperJim

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:24 - May 16 by Superblue95

Agreed, he's managed to deliver play-offs on a budget that dwarfs ours. What would he have done with Evans 50 pence and a packet of haribo? Not very much I suspect.

Hurst as match day manager wasn't the problem for me, yeah Deputy Doig and "You've never done it for us so you're no better than what we had at Shrewsbury, now strip to your undies" probably didn't help, but the real issue was our transfer business.

In short, it's all Evans fault.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:13 - May 16 with 3770 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Lampard obviously has access to Chelsea loanees and is a big draw, i.e. players, especially younger players, will want to play for him.

He was never seriously in the running when it became clear he wanted a lot of money, as did his coaching staff. Jody Morris earns more at Derby than Hurst earned as our manager.
Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:16 - May 16 with 3765 viewsGeoffSentence

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:07 - May 16 by SouperJim

Agreed, he's managed to deliver play-offs on a budget that dwarfs ours. What would he have done with Evans 50 pence and a packet of haribo? Not very much I suspect.

Hurst as match day manager wasn't the problem for me, yeah Deputy Doig and "You've never done it for us so you're no better than what we had at Shrewsbury, now strip to your undies" probably didn't help, but the real issue was our transfer business.

In short, it's all Evans fault.

On the other hand we likely would not have lost Waggy and maybe some of the other quality players that couldnt jump ship fast enough after Hurst and Doig rolled up.

Waggy, at least, left for the opportunity t work with Lampard, or that was the excuse he gave, so I think it is fair to say we defo would not have lost him. As for McG, Webster and Garner, I think it quite likely that at least two of them would have still been here.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:25 - May 16 with 3740 viewschristiand

Lampard probably would’ve been the more expensive option even with his lack of managerial experience. PH did seem the logical choice, especially with what our blueprint was to buy cheaper from the lower leagues. The appointment made sense at the time, but the way it unravelled was a completely different story.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:28 - May 16 with 3734 viewsSouperJim

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 15:16 - May 16 by GeoffSentence

On the other hand we likely would not have lost Waggy and maybe some of the other quality players that couldnt jump ship fast enough after Hurst and Doig rolled up.

Waggy, at least, left for the opportunity t work with Lampard, or that was the excuse he gave, so I think it is fair to say we defo would not have lost him. As for McG, Webster and Garner, I think it quite likely that at least two of them would have still been here.

It's a fair point, we'll never know of course but combined with a Chelsea loan or two you'd fancy Lamps would have done better than Tiny Tim. I'd venture that he still wouldn't have been the man to take us forwards long term however, maybe another few years of mid-table mediocrity but like quite a lot of people I'm quite looking forward to next season and am optimistic that relegation could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 19:48 - May 16 with 3639 viewsJDB23

I thought it was reported at the time that we couldn't offer Lampard what he wanted so was a no go from the off?
Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 20:02 - May 16 with 3604 viewsmrshallisfit

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 12:40 - May 16 by BlueyandCrazy

Other point to consider is that as soon as Derby showed an interest in Lampard, there was no chance of him coming to Ipswich.......same applies to Gerrard and Rangers

Lampard would have wanted assurances on funding. Evan's wouldn't have given these.
Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 20:11 - May 16 with 3580 viewsfooters

Children's books 'written': Lamps 41 - Hurst ?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 20:31 - May 16 with 3535 viewsMVBlue

What we really needed was the Cowley brothers. Was never sold on Hurst. Now we’ll be playing the Cowley brothers in Division Three 😪
[Post edited 16 May 2019 20:39]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 20:36 - May 16 with 3527 viewsstrikalite

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 20:02 - May 16 by mrshallisfit

Lampard would have wanted assurances on funding. Evan's wouldn't have given these.

It was most probably all about funding, he spent £10m on Marriott and Waggy alone...
Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 00:00 - May 17 with 3400 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hurst/ Lampard comparison on 20:36 - May 16 by strikalite

It was most probably all about funding, he spent £10m on Marriott and Waggy alone...

If he’d joined us he could have had Waghorn for nothing. And Marriott too if he’d been a bit earlier.

Meanwhile, in related news, I see Solskjær is to be given plenty of funds to “create success”. Since when did buying something equate to creating it?

There’s money to be made in this business for someone with the rare talent of being able to work with and improve what they have. I was hoping PL might be thst sort of manager but he seems to think the answer lies in more players, much like the rest of them do.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024