Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays 14:11 - May 18 with 2631 viewsStokieBlue

More than 50% of Americans think that Arabic numerals shouldn't be taught in school (at least in this survey).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/arabic-numerals-survey-prejudice-bias-survey-

Oh dear.

SB
[Post edited 18 May 2019 14:11]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:14 - May 18 with 2058 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think they knew what Arabic numerals are. Not that ignorance excuses a negative response to anything 'Arabic'.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:24 - May 18 with 2039 viewsStokieBlue

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:14 - May 18 by J2BLUE

I don't think they knew what Arabic numerals are. Not that ignorance excuses a negative response to anything 'Arabic'.

That's the point, instead of clarifying the question they decided it was a bad thing because it was "Arabic".

SB

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:25 - May 18 with 2029 viewsSpruceMoose

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:24 - May 18 by StokieBlue

That's the point, instead of clarifying the question they decided it was a bad thing because it was "Arabic".

SB

Can't they just rename then Freedom Numerals like they did with French Fries?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:30 - May 18 with 2020 viewsWD19

If only 36% of Americans hold a passport, how much value is understanding Arabic numerals going to add to their lives? I have no doubt bigotry exists in spades, but is it bigoted for some to decide that Arabic numerals add no more to their lives than learning Mandarin!?
Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:36 - May 18 with 1989 viewsSpruceMoose

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:30 - May 18 by WD19

If only 36% of Americans hold a passport, how much value is understanding Arabic numerals going to add to their lives? I have no doubt bigotry exists in spades, but is it bigoted for some to decide that Arabic numerals add no more to their lives than learning Mandarin!?

Do...you know what Arabic numerals are?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:37 - May 18 with 1980 viewsStokieBlue

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:30 - May 18 by WD19

Well they wouldn't be able to understand your first sentence if they didn't understand Arabic numerals.

SB

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:38 - May 18 with 1977 viewsClapham_Junction

You might want to look up what Arabic numerals are.

Clue: Your post included some.

Edit: Seems I was beaten to it by II other people.

As a side note, arithmetic in roman numerals is a fascinating thing: http://turner.faculty.swau.edu/mathematics/materialslibrary/roman/
[Post edited 18 May 2019 14:43]
Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:38 - May 18 with 1973 viewsSpruceMoose

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:37 - May 18 by StokieBlue

Well they wouldn't be able to understand your first sentence if they didn't understand Arabic numerals.

SB

My face is so sore these days from all the palming I have to do to it.

Login to get fewer ads

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:39 - May 18 with 1959 viewsJ2BLUE

You should have googled Arabic numerals before replying.

I did that because I had no idea what they were.

Truly impaired.

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:44 - May 18 with 1930 viewsSpruceMoose

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:39 - May 18 by J2BLUE

You're one step ahead of more than 50% of Americans then.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 14:44]

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:44 - May 18 with 1927 viewsDarth_Koont

Haha. This is actually one of the jokes they made in the latest and last season of Veep.

I thought they'd gone too far having a Presidential candidate campaigning on a platform of banning maths because it was Islamic. "Algebra!? More like Al Jazeera!"

Political satire has nowhere left to go.

Pronouns: He/Him

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:46 - May 18 with 1914 viewsJ2BLUE

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:44 - May 18 by SpruceMoose

You're one step ahead of more than 50% of Americans then.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 14:44]

I think there was a compliment in there somewhere...

Truly impaired.

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:46 - May 18 with 1910 viewsJ2BLUE

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:24 - May 18 by StokieBlue

SB

Agree, I didn't read your thread title properly.

Truly impaired.

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:47 - May 18 with 1906 viewsWD19

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:39 - May 18 by J2BLUE

Fair cop, but I prefer to avoid google if I can. I should have been taught anything I needed to know for life at school.
Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:24 - May 18 with 1832 viewsSwansea_Blue

Jesus

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:25 - May 18 with 1823 viewsSwansea_Blue

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 14:38 - May 18 by Clapham_Junction

You might want to look up what Arabic numerals are.

Clue: Your post included some.

Edit: Seems I was beaten to it by II other people.

As a side note, arithmetic in roman numerals is a fascinating thing: http://turner.faculty.swau.edu/mathematics/materialslibrary/roman/
[Post edited 18 May 2019 14:43]

Only IV people best you to it (none of these dodgy foreign numbers from me, just proper European ones).
[Post edited 18 May 2019 15:45]

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:30 - May 18 with 1796 viewsfooters

Kilroy was right. What have the Arabs ever done for us?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:30 - May 18 with 1796 viewsSwansea_Blue

Boom! And there we have it, the answer to all our problems.

Find out what you’re talking about BEFORE talking about it, or forming opinions, or argueing for your opinions to be imposed on others.

J2’s smart. Be like J2.

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:33 - May 18 with 1786 viewsfooters

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:30 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

Boom! And there we have it, the answer to all our problems.

Find out what you’re talking about BEFORE talking about it, or forming opinions, or argueing for your opinions to be imposed on others.

J2’s smart. Be like J2.

"argueing "

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:35 - May 18 with 1778 viewsStokieBlue

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:30 - May 18 by footers

Kilroy was right. What have the Arabs ever done for us?

If it comes back on the iPlayer then this is an excellent series:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gq6h7

SB

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:37 - May 18 with 1764 viewsfooters

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:35 - May 18 by StokieBlue

If it comes back on the iPlayer then this is an excellent series:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gq6h7

SB

Noice!

Tried to find that Kilroy-Silk article the other day but waybackmachine couldn't help... What a time to be alive.

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:44 - May 18 with 1746 viewsSwansea_Blue

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:33 - May 18 by footers

"argueing "

That’s Germanic languages for you, always adding extra letters when they’re not needed. Would never happen with a proper patriotic English language.

Edited for yet more mistakes
[Post edited 18 May 2019 15:46]

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:48 - May 18 with 1724 viewsfooters

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:44 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

That’s Germanic languages for you, always adding extra letters when they’re not needed. Would never happen with a proper patriotic English language.

Edited for yet more mistakes
[Post edited 18 May 2019 15:46]

A new British Esperanto, perhaps? In this new brave post-Brexit world we'll need a whole new langwij that akomodate's leeve voter's to?

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:48 - May 18 with 1729 viewsMJallday

arabic numerals aside... in our regular curriculum we dont teach portugese,hungarian, turkish, russian, bengali, japaease afrikaans or punjabi

so why should we start teaching arabic? what value will it add?

personally i dont believe we should teach anything that doesnt add value. (and remove subjects in the curicculum that dont) - That's not say we dont need to teach people (kids) about certain cultures, but learning the language of a culture is largely unnecessary unless there is a specific need or want. and yes, i do include french, german and spanish in that.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 15:49]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays (n/t) on 15:49 - May 18 with 1721 viewsSpruceMoose

Understanding the question seems to come second to bias nowadays on 15:48 - May 18 by MJallday

arabic numerals aside... in our regular curriculum we dont teach portugese,hungarian, turkish, russian, bengali, japaease afrikaans or punjabi

so why should we start teaching arabic? what value will it add?

personally i dont believe we should teach anything that doesnt add value. (and remove subjects in the curicculum that dont) - That's not say we dont need to teach people (kids) about certain cultures, but learning the language of a culture is largely unnecessary unless there is a specific need or want. and yes, i do include french, german and spanish in that.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 15:49]

The British can barely speak English as it is, judging by half the posts on this board.
[Post edited 18 May 2019 15:50]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024