Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vincent Kompany anyone? 09:17 - May 19 with 3486 viewsHerbivore

Available on a free.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:33 - May 19 with 2429 viewsNo9

If the objective is promotion anyone over 30 should not even be in the squad.
Good as Mr Kompany has been I'm sure with his injury record he will be lookig for somethign other than a player contract.
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:35 - May 19 with 2416 viewsHerbivore

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:33 - May 19 by No9

Good as Mr Kompany has been I'm sure with his injury record he will be lookig for somethign other than a player contract.

Run that first sentence by me again. If we want to get promoted we shouldn't have anyone over 30 in the squad?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:38 - May 19 with 2408 viewsNo9

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:35 - May 19 by Herbivore

Run that first sentence by me again. If we want to get promoted we shouldn't have anyone over 30 in the squad?

Correct.
The old fellers have been the problem for the last 2-3 or even 4 seasons.
Football is an attacking game meant to be played with runners.
There is a new game for some of Towns squad it's called Walk football.

remember building a promotion team may take 2-3 seasons
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:44 - May 19 with 2384 viewsHerbivore

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:38 - May 19 by No9

Correct.
The old fellers have been the problem for the last 2-3 or even 4 seasons.
Football is an attacking game meant to be played with runners.
There is a new game for some of Towns squad it's called Walk football.

remember building a promotion team may take 2-3 seasons

City's first team squad has just completed a domestic treble and they have 6 players over 30 in their squad. The most successful sides usually have a blend of youth and experience. Having a blanket no over 30s policy is just daft. And we need to be building a promotion winning side this season, not taking 2-3 years over it.

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:48 - May 19 with 2364 viewsNo9

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:44 - May 19 by Herbivore

City's first team squad has just completed a domestic treble and they have 6 players over 30 in their squad. The most successful sides usually have a blend of youth and experience. Having a blanket no over 30s policy is just daft. And we need to be building a promotion winning side this season, not taking 2-3 years over it.

But those over 30 have not just come i to the sqaud have they? This winning team / squad has been built with them as an integral part. The over 30's will be phased out as with VC.

Any team that has been on a downward trajectory needs to be changed, any team that gets relegated needs to be re-built. Re-building with the older generation that have been a part of the decline is not a recipe for success.
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:58 - May 19 with 2339 viewsSarge

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:48 - May 19 by No9

But those over 30 have not just come i to the sqaud have they? This winning team / squad has been built with them as an integral part. The over 30's will be phased out as with VC.

Any team that has been on a downward trajectory needs to be changed, any team that gets relegated needs to be re-built. Re-building with the older generation that have been a part of the decline is not a recipe for success.

Alan Judge is 30 and he’s just joined. You want him gone?
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:03 - May 19 with 2323 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sheffield United signed 30 year old David McGoldrick last Summer, and he won their player of the season award as they won promotion...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:05 - May 19 with 2300 viewsTrumptonBlue

Decent player but would he be happy being back-up to Chambo?
Login to get fewer ads

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:08 - May 19 with 2287 viewsHerbivore

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:05 - May 19 by TrumptonBlue

Decent player but would he be happy being back-up to Chambo?

The answer to that question will tell us a lot about whether he's the sort of character we want here.

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:14 - May 19 with 2262 viewsbournemouthblue

You will always need a blend of youth and experience in any team

Sheffield United had Billy Sharpe in League One not that long ago and he's still going strong.

It's certainly true that the spine of the team under MM is ageing and probably on it's way out but we are dropping to a lower level. We will see how big a drop it truly is.

There's a place for Skuse and Chambo who may end up in coaching with Town, whilst phasing out?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:24 - May 19 with 2230 viewsNo9

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:14 - May 19 by bournemouthblue

You will always need a blend of youth and experience in any team

Sheffield United had Billy Sharpe in League One not that long ago and he's still going strong.

It's certainly true that the spine of the team under MM is ageing and probably on it's way out but we are dropping to a lower level. We will see how big a drop it truly is.

There's a place for Skuse and Chambo who may end up in coaching with Town, whilst phasing out?

As the modern game of football moves on I would suggest having the likes of Skuse & Chambers as coaches would not be a good for the future of ITFC.
There is a case to keep Chambers around as skipper but he & a GK apart I don't see ageing players as a way forward. I don't think the chances of Town going straight back up are strong, so they need to re-build.
Things has stagnated over the 10 years of Mr E's ownership - hopefully he sees the need to start again & I hope that is why he appointed PL.
Fingers crossed
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:24 - May 19 with 2230 viewsGluedtoBlue

I heard Ronaldo was keen to sign but PL felt he was too old to make a contribution.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:26 - May 19 with 2217 viewsHerbivore

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:24 - May 19 by GluedtoBlue

I heard Ronaldo was keen to sign but PL felt he was too old to make a contribution.

No9 agrees.

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:34 - May 19 with 2183 viewsNorthstander_Blue

Oh dear god 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Poll: Would you be happy to sign Daryl Murphy?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:36 - May 19 with 2166 viewsWestover

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 09:33 - May 19 by No9

Oh in that case you would not sign Messi and Ronaldo then?🤔
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:45 - May 19 with 2144 viewsagentp

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:24 - May 19 by No9

As the modern game of football moves on I would suggest having the likes of Skuse & Chambers as coaches would not be a good for the future of ITFC.
There is a case to keep Chambers around as skipper but he & a GK apart I don't see ageing players as a way forward. I don't think the chances of Town going straight back up are strong, so they need to re-build.
Things has stagnated over the 10 years of Mr E's ownership - hopefully he sees the need to start again & I hope that is why he appointed PL.
Fingers crossed

But we won't be stable or building for the future with young players in L1. The exceptional ones will be sold anyway. Anyway, who do these youngsters learn their matchday trade from? IMO this is where we have gone wrong. We haven't had enough older quality to instil confidence in the youth.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:48 - May 19 with 2135 viewsNo9

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:45 - May 19 by agentp

But we won't be stable or building for the future with young players in L1. The exceptional ones will be sold anyway. Anyway, who do these youngsters learn their matchday trade from? IMO this is where we have gone wrong. We haven't had enough older quality to instil confidence in the youth.

Dropping down to the 3rd tier is not good.
I really wouldn't want young players to learn the trade that has been on view at PR for the last few seasons.
The hope surely must be that PL is going to change that ?
I don't really think ' more of the same' is the way forward
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:50 - May 19 with 2134 viewsNo9

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 10:36 - May 19 by Westover

Oh in that case you would not sign Messi and Ronaldo then?🤔

Not a case of apples & apples is it? They wouldn't come anyway so it's a mute point
who at ITFC would you consider comparable to the two you name?
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:18 - May 19 with 2079 viewscaught-in-limbo

Let's get some nonsense out of the way:

Experience in itself is not an asset. We've had plenty of players with experience over the last few years. They've been experienced in either not being very good themselves or experienced in being managed badly.

Youth in itself is not an asset. We've bought in and developed plenty of young players in the past. They've generally been either not good enough or shoved into a system where their talents we're not allowed to develop.

A blend of youth and experience won't work when the players are neither good enough nor being managed in such a way that their abilities are exploited.

One of my students is 12 years old. He plays for Antiguoko, Real Sociedad's training school. The club which produced Xabi Alonso and Mikel Arteta. I asked him what makes a good coach. He said it's not about having a specific system, but about identifying what strengths each of your players has and making a team and designing a style of play which allows those skills to shine. I agree.

I'm not sure PL's history shows he has done this from club to club, but I think he's bright enough to be able to make it happen for us in League 1. Let's hope so.

The talk of Kompany coming here is ridiculous. What motivation would he have for coming here?
[Post edited 19 May 2019 11:19]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:21 - May 19 with 2068 viewsNo9

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:18 - May 19 by caught-in-limbo

Experience in itself is not an asset. We've had plenty of players with experience over the last few years. They've been experienced in either not being very good themselves or experienced in being managed badly.

Youth in itself is not an asset. We've bought in and developed plenty of young players in the past. They've generally been either not good enough or shoved into a system where their talents we're not allowed to develop.

A blend of youth and experience won't work when the players are neither good enough nor being managed in such a way that their abilities are exploited.

One of my students is 12 years old. He plays for Antiguoko, Real Sociedad's training school. The club which produced Xabi Alonso and Mikel Arteta. I asked him what makes a good coach. He said it's not about having a specific system, but about identifying what strengths each of your players has and making a team and designing a style of play which allows those skills to shine. I agree.

I'm not sure PL's history shows he has done this from club to club, but I think he's bright enough to be able to make it happen for us in League 1. Let's hope so.

The talk of Kompany coming here is ridiculous. What motivation would he have for coming here?

Agreed & to extend my point which seems to have been overlooked by some, anyone between 23 & 29 isn't exactly in the 'youth' category
Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:23 - May 19 with 2054 viewsfooters

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:18 - May 19 by caught-in-limbo

He has a keen interest in combine harvesters?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:24 - May 19 with 2049 viewsDubtractor

Oh. Some people think you are serious.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:26 - May 19 with 2039 viewscaught-in-limbo

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:23 - May 19 by footers

He has a keen interest in combine harvesters?

I doubt that will be enough. We're all about tractors now.

#toxic

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:27 - May 19 with 2035 viewsNorthstander_Blue

Well that's p155ed on your bonfire

Poll: Would you be happy to sign Daryl Murphy?

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:29 - May 19 with 2020 viewscaught-in-limbo

Vincent Kompany anyone? on 11:27 - May 19 by Northstander_Blue

Well that's p155ed on your bonfire

Damnit! So close yet so far.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024