Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question for all you cricket fans 19:37 - May 19 with 2522 viewschristiand

England announce their squad for the World Cup on Tuesday. For me, Jofra Archer must be in it as he provides something different that the majority of our bowlers lack......raw pace. However, at the expense of whom? Someone is going to be really disappointed to be missing out.

Who would be your 15 for this tournament?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A question for all you cricket fans on 19:53 - May 19 with 2236 viewsJakeITFC

Archer in for sure.

Vince for Hales and Archer for Willey would be my swaps. I think the bowling options for the first game are a really tough call, but I’d be tempted by this day one:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Curran
Archer
Rashid
[Post edited 19 May 2019 19:54]
A question for all you cricket fans on 20:02 - May 19 with 2220 viewschristiand

A question for all you cricket fans on 19:53 - May 19 by JakeITFC

Archer in for sure.

Vince for Hales and Archer for Willey would be my swaps. I think the bowling options for the first game are a really tough call, but I’d be tempted by this day one:

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Curran
Archer
Rashid

It’s going to be really tough then to reduce any 15 down to a starting XI, glad I’m not on that selection panel! It’s just brilliant that we have a talented pool of players that make us a real threat. Last time we were this competitive in a World Cup,1992?
[Post edited 19 May 2019 20:12]

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:22 - May 19 with 2186 viewsGuthrum

Ali
Archer
Bairstow
Buttler
Curran
Morgan
Plunkett
Rashid
Root
Roy
Stokes
Vince
Willey
Woakes
Wood

Denly might be in with a shout instead of Willey, but given Root can bowl a bit of spin, think I'd prefer the fast bowler.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:24 - May 19 with 2175 viewsReuser_is_God

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:22 - May 19 by Guthrum

Ali
Archer
Bairstow
Buttler
Curran
Morgan
Plunkett
Rashid
Root
Roy
Stokes
Vince
Willey
Woakes
Wood

Denly might be in with a shout instead of Willey, but given Root can bowl a bit of spin, think I'd prefer the fast bowler.

Yeah I agree it’s all been ‘which bowler will they leave out’ but for me it’s Denly.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:28 - May 19 with 2168 viewsGuthrum

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:02 - May 19 by christiand

It’s going to be really tough then to reduce any 15 down to a starting XI, glad I’m not on that selection panel! It’s just brilliant that we have a talented pool of players that make us a real threat. Last time we were this competitive in a World Cup,1992?
[Post edited 19 May 2019 20:12]

1 Roy
2 Bairstow
3 Root
4 Morgan
5 Buttler
6 Stokes
7 Ali
8 Woakes
9 Curran
10 Rashid
11 Archer

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:29 - May 19 with 2165 viewschristiand

Ali
Archer
Bairstow
Buttler
Curran
Morgan
Plunkett
Rashid
Root
Roy
Stokes
Vince
Willey
Woakes
Wood

That’s a good shout. I’m not sure Denly has done enough to get in based on recent performances.
[Post edited 19 May 2019 20:34]

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:33 - May 19 with 2142 viewsmarkand1986

Dawson May get a look in due to his form but would expect it to be pretty much what has been said already with Denly missing out.
A question for all you cricket fans on 07:15 - May 20 with 1975 viewshampstead_blue

A question for all you cricket fans on 19:53 - May 19 by JakeITFC

Archer in for sure.

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Woakes
Curran
Archer
Rashid

My choice too.

Willey is unlucky as I like the left arm option.

Plunkett stays as he bowls great middle overs

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

A question for all you cricket fans on 07:25 - May 20 with 1964 viewsbontcho

For me PLUNKETT’s recent poor form (he’s definitely lost a little pace) means he’s the one I’d drop. I’d also ass DAWSON for Denly as I see him as a better spinner. I suspect the bowlers will be rotated in tournament but here’s my 11-

Roy
Bairstow
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Stokes
Mooen
Woakes
Curran
Rashid
Archer

Reserves: Vince, Dawson, Willey, Wood.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

A question for all you cricket fans on 07:26 - May 20 with 1959 viewsxrayspecs

Denly would be the one I would omit. He is primarily a batsman and we already bat deep. I am also not sure he has done enough to justify a bowling slot.

Willey is leftie so creates variation to the other bowlers so would be my pick.

Vince to replace Hales seems to be a no-brainer too.
A question for all you cricket fans on 08:00 - May 20 with 1918 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's not PC to suggest it but shoehorning someone in at short notice just because they are good is pretty daft and demeans the sport. 'English' cricket usually has a sprinkiling of stardust that hops on board for money (not to mention an irish captain at a time when his own country needs him) - usually south african - and rugby has long been a farce, coming here on holiday seems enough for a new zealander or south sea islander to to be included. Strangely football is one sport where England have not gone down this nefarious route, even though a sprinkling of brazilians might have helped win a world cup

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A question for all you cricket fans on 08:56 - May 20 with 1859 viewscaught-in-limbo

Is Archer a faster bowler than Wood?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

A question for all you cricket fans on 09:00 - May 20 with 1844 viewsJakeITFC

A question for all you cricket fans on 08:00 - May 20 by ElephantintheRoom

It's not PC to suggest it but shoehorning someone in at short notice just because they are good is pretty daft and demeans the sport. 'English' cricket usually has a sprinkiling of stardust that hops on board for money (not to mention an irish captain at a time when his own country needs him) - usually south african - and rugby has long been a farce, coming here on holiday seems enough for a new zealander or south sea islander to to be included. Strangely football is one sport where England have not gone down this nefarious route, even though a sprinkling of brazilians might have helped win a world cup

Archer does have an English father (and a British passport).
A question for all you cricket fans on 09:03 - May 20 with 1834 viewsLKW15

A question for all you cricket fans on 08:56 - May 20 by caught-in-limbo

Is Archer a faster bowler than Wood?

They have similar top speeds, wood is injury prone whereas archer seems to have a much more repeatable action
A question for all you cricket fans on 09:06 - May 20 with 1830 viewscaught-in-limbo

A question for all you cricket fans on 09:03 - May 20 by LKW15

They have similar top speeds, wood is injury prone whereas archer seems to have a much more repeatable action

Thanks.

Just found this which I'd never seen before:

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

A question for all you cricket fans on 14:20 - May 20 with 1751 viewschristiand

A question for all you cricket fans on 09:03 - May 20 by LKW15

Archer appears to offer more all round with his game, but I’d still have both in the 15 man squad. To be frank, I’d like to see them being our opening bowling attack for the first 8-10 overs.

A question for all you cricket fans on 15:04 - May 20 with 1719 viewsIpswichKnight

A question for all you cricket fans on 14:20 - May 20 by christiand

Archer appears to offer more all round with his game, but I’d still have both in the 15 man squad. To be frank, I’d like to see them being our opening bowling attack for the first 8-10 overs.

I would open one with Woakes, he has a happy a knack of getting people out in the opening 10 overs. We missed having one of Archer or Wood yesterday to break up that big partnership, guaranteed if we did we would have won by well over 100 runs.
A question for all you cricket fans on 15:13 - May 20 with 1707 viewsvilanovablue

I suspect Willey and Denly are the 2 to miss out. Tough call as we clearly have some great players to call on.
A question for all you cricket fans on 15:47 - May 20 with 1693 viewsSaleAway

Ali
Archer
Bairstow
Buttler
Curran
Morgan
Plunkett
Rashid
Root
Roy
Stokes
Vince
Willey
Woakes
Wood

Its this squad for me.... at the end of the day, Denly is never going to play. If Rashid or Moeen are injured, they can bring someone in, whereas the variety of the pace attack might mean they all get used.... if it looks a bit green/overcast, might get Willey in, or if its flatter go with out and out pace....

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

A question for all you cricket fans on 16:23 - May 20 with 1661 viewsIpswichKnight

A question for all you cricket fans on 15:47 - May 20 by SaleAway

Its this squad for me.... at the end of the day, Denly is never going to play. If Rashid or Moeen are injured, they can bring someone in, whereas the variety of the pace attack might mean they all get used.... if it looks a bit green/overcast, might get Willey in, or if its flatter go with out and out pace....

ICC are preparing the pitches expect them to be like the pitches we just played on, flat, very flat and total roads.
A question for all you cricket fans on 19:36 - May 20 with 1608 viewsxrayspecs

A question for all you cricket fans on 07:26 - May 20 by xrayspecs

Denly would be the one I would omit. He is primarily a batsman and we already bat deep. I am also not sure he has done enough to justify a bowling slot.

Willey is leftie so creates variation to the other bowlers so would be my pick.

Vince to replace Hales seems to be a no-brainer too.

Reading Bayliss comments this evening....

- Would look like Dawson ahead of Denly - good call who posted this earlier
- 2/3 from Willey, T Curran and Plunkett. That is a tough call.
- Vince in for Hales
A question for all you cricket fans on 20:34 - May 20 with 1574 viewshampstead_blue

A question for all you cricket fans on 07:15 - May 20 by hampstead_blue

My choice too.

Willey is unlucky as I like the left arm option.

Plunkett stays as he bowls great middle overs

Can I change my mind!!!!

I'd omit Denly and bring back Willey.

Denly is a very strange inclusion. Almost given the chance 'just' to see if he can do something.
County level player.

Can't wait to see Archer.....jeepers.......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

A question for all you cricket fans on 20:45 - May 20 with 1561 viewsmarkand1986

A question for all you cricket fans on 19:36 - May 20 by xrayspecs

- Vince in for Hales

Dawson been in good form so will have a sniff.
A question for all you cricket fans on 20:47 - May 20 with 1560 viewshampstead_blue

- Vince in for Hales

Dawson is average at best.

It would be a travesty if he got into the final squad.
He couldn't turn it on a 'burner', leave alone the batter friendly wickets. As a batter he's toast.
Nowhere near an International player.

If I were Denly and got dropped for Dawson I'd send a package of poo to the selectors....

A question for all you cricket fans on 09:44 - May 21 with 1487 viewsxrayspecs

- Vince in for Hales

And so it has proven.

Willey and Denly miss out.

Strong squad and nice problem for the selectors to have.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024